Project Cars 3 Hype thread

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 351 comments
Canada
Oak Bay, NB, Canada
Bic44
I just want a place to chat about the game, and focus on what's in it rather than what's not. I know there are actual fans around who are either buying it day one, or contemplating it. It's ok to complain a bit, but the other threads have plenty of that. So let's talk about the good things!

I'll start by saying that I'm extremely excited for being able to put parts on cars and just have some fun with it. Seems to me that it may just have some nice sim elements yet enough casualness to play with friends while enjoying a grown up beverage or two. It's gonna be a tough balance, but if they get it right, it'll be outstanding

I would say it is a right time for a thread like this, because soon after car and track lists, some might be disappointed, but now it looks promising. Since Formula E is there, then there a chance for more hybrid and electric cars. But with promised 30 new cars, possibilities are going lower with every day, since FE and new indie take away 2 slots already.

Just hope Lexus will be there. Need Lexus and PC physics in some sort to be happy, and finally have other take some for a change of a Porsche. Been naive and asked Lexus USA directly, but 'course they didn't answered.

@Bloodytears yeah, I hope for some old kooky cars like the old GT games. Maybe a Daihatsu Midget or an old Honda S500. Cars like that make me smile, especially being able to upgrade them and race those tiny things against modern cars which look massive in comparison. Fun and funny, while still being competitive

@Benny44 We definitely different types of car guys. Those cars are more Gran Turismo type, than something racing or a sport car. If talk about something really old, to have 356, 300SL or even older 30's sports cars. Vintage Formula not enough.

Also how many chances to have historic Nürburgring to all that. And probably more some currently inexistent tracks. I think video games one of the best sources to keep them alive in memory, that photos in museums.

@Benny44 We definitely different types of car guys. Those cars are more Gran Turismo type, than something racing or a sport car. If talk about something really old, to have 356, 300SL or even older 30's sports cars. Vintage Formula not enough.

Also how many chances to have historic Nürburgring to all that. And probably more some currently inexistent tracks. I think video games one of the best sources to keep them alive in memory, that photos in museums.
Yeah. I think between Pcars 2 and AC/ACC there are enough sims that are focused on the serious side of it. GT really let me down personally, as there are no performance parts or anything. If this can feel a little more real, like Pcars 2, and add in some fun and hopefully historic cars it will do well

Videogames are also one of the best sources to keep interesting cars that aren't racecars or sportscars alive in memory. And a sim like PCARS does them more justice than a sim like GT. :) That's something I love about this hobby -- it is a harmless preservation of history; inexpensive and inclusive, nondestructive, safe, instructional... 👍

IMO, there are lots of "unglamorous" cars that exhibit desirable traits, especially with upgrades available to fill in their weaknesses a bit. Lightness and simplicity, compact dimensions, an "analogue" experience free of computerized assists, pliable handling...that's all good stuff, especially backed by the depth of a hardcore sim. It also describes many "Gran Turismo type" economy cars just as well as it describes historic sportscars. Add some more horsepower and grip and you've got a recipe for a real fun time, IMHO. :)

There's also the amusement factor @Benny44 mentioned of taking something like dinky and/or pedestrian and going door-to-door with purpose-built vehicles. David versus Goliath.

Seeing that the full car list is releasing soon, I do wonder how many fictional spec cars in game. The announcement trailer has a Challenger GT4 and F Type GT3, 3 weeks ago we were shown a really cool looking wide body Evo 9:

g1o4duI.png

It looks a bit like the Brazil V8 Stock Car Evo 8 back in 2005:

RafQKKXbTeiskx1-33BUzw

Will be nice to have another class of touring cars.

I also was thinking about those "fictional specs" also are those "worked" road cars will be counted as seperate cars or not.

Seeing that the full car list is releasing soon, I do wonder how many fictional spec cars in game. The announcement trailer has a Challenger GT4 and F Type GT3, 3 weeks ago we were shown a really cool looking wide body Evo 9:

It's hard to say what that Challenger was exactly, as it was in a kinda weird field of cars. Many looked like GT3 cars and the Challenger itself was ahead of what looked to be a GT3 Aston Vantage (wing and splitter too big to be a GT4 Vantage) and door to door with an ATS-V GT3, but then it was also near a little Alpine A110 which is a GT4 in the real world. Then there was the C8.R at the back of field as well... kinda made the whole thing look a bit like the mash-up that Forza's "Forza GT" division is.

There was a Camaro and Mustang in the field along with the Challenger as well, again hard to say which class those are for, but I love the idea of an Challenger/Mustang/Camaro rivalry all in the same class.

Personally, I think the fictional spec race cars offer a lot of upsides for racing games, so seeing those in the trailer did pique my interest. As Mrocz points out too, are they upgraded road cars that we can sorta "racing modify" and enter into existing classes or are they special racing models? Will be interesting to see I think.

I think I read somewhere that there was a 'race car modification' you could do in this game, or something like that @Morbid65. I think Gran Turismo 1 had that, which was pretty cool. Although it was limited to only a few cars. Even way back then it was quite a difference changing a car from a road car into a race car.

And very well put @Wolfe. It's going to be up to one thing - execution. How well do they implement this? I'm excited to find out. I do know there's going to be a season pass for this game, so even if not all the cars you want are in the initial list, there is still hope!

we were shown a really cool looking wide body Evo 9:
What is lurking in the background is also quite interesting.
caterham-sp-300.r-54121223730511600x1060_1.jpg

The Caterham SP300 from PC2 returns maybe? That little rocket makes for a fun race. Not sure you'd want to modify that too much though. :)

@Bloodytears yeah, I hope for some old kooky cars like the old GT games. Maybe a Daihatsu Midget or an old Honda S500. Cars like that make me smile, especially being able to upgrade them and race those tiny things against modern cars which look massive in comparison. Fun and funny, while still being competitive

The Honda S500 - 800 could work in PC 3. I remember it from GT and had a blast racing with it against other 60s -70s cars in Forza 7s free play.

32594963593_28da86e116_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that there was a 'race car modification' you could do in this game, or something like that @Morbid65. I think Gran Turismo 1 had that, which was pretty cool. Although it was limited to only a few cars. Even way back then it was quite a difference changing a car from a road car into a race car.

And very well put @Wolfe. It's going to be up to one thing - execution. How well do they implement this? I'm excited to find out. I do know there's going to be a season pass for this game, so even if not all the cars you want are in the initial list, there is still hope!
GT5 was the one where RM is limited to only a few cars. Every cars in GT1 has Racing Modification except race cars, same goes for GT2's 650 cars.

@beyond72 yes please on that S500! 👍. Love that little beast.

@IfAndOr I'd still put go-fast parts on it. Probably laugh for a minute until I ended up in a wall, then change it back

It certainly looks good! We're getting the car list no later than Wednesday, August 7th. At least according to Nathan Bell on discord. He's also mentioned there will be a season pass and DLC preorder bonuses. Curious what those will be

I would say it is a right time for a thread like this, because soon after car and track lists, some might be disappointed, but now it looks promising. Since Formula E is there, then there a chance for more hybrid and electric cars. But with promised 30 new cars, possibilities are going lower with every day, since FE and new indie take away 2 slots already.

Just hope Lexus will be there. Need Lexus and PC physics in some sort to be happy, and finally have other take some for a change of a Porsche. Been naive and asked Lexus USA directly, but 'course they didn't answered.
You had my hopes up for a minute but I can't see anything about Formula E on a console. It's a popular series, would probably sell good numbers.

The Corvette video, regardless it looked so bad with all that motion blur set my hopes up regarding drifting. Let's see whether or not we can finally have a sim were drifting is something as natural and "easy" as it is and you do in real life, with all that artificial difficulty built into sliding in most "sims" finally gone. Even pc2 suffered from this; to a lesser extent, but it was still there.

BTW, for all those who laughed at the corvette video calling it arcade:

What doesn't hype me up that much is that it looks we will have to drift around tracks rather than on countryside roads. Road cars and drifting while racing..., it really needs to be done with Driveclub/Gotham vibes outside tracks, and looks like there won't be many of these in pc3

I assume he talk about it on Discord? It is a crappy place to drop these info, it is almost impossible to dig through these chat logs.
He said that in the voice chat on Tuesday. They were talking about the game and explaining some of the decisions taken.

Yeah the discord thing is just something he does once in a while to chat with fans. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but a lot are on there. Particularly the younger generation. I just have it to check up on a couple of my favorite games.

@GOTMAXPOWER I'm sure I read about Formula E. Just heading to work now but when I get a sec I'll check and see if I can find it

Yeah the discord thing is just something he does once in a while to chat with fans. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but a lot are on there. Particularly the younger generation. I just have it to check up on a couple of my favorite games.

@GOTMAXPOWER I'm sure I read about Formula E. Just heading to work now but when I get a sec I'll check and see if I can find it
You did, it was mentioned and more than once.

I thought so. Thanks @Scaff. There is a video out there of a guy playing the game. But it's A)in Russian B)he's a terrible driver that hollered at everything and seemed to expect everyone to get out of his way C)the embargo hasn't lifted, so I'll post a link to the IGN beta test video which is starting in about 2 hours

But it's A)in Russian B)he's a terrible driver that hollered at everything and seemed to expect everyone to get out of his way
It's quite amazing, he doesn't seem to stop for breath!! And yes he does have a foot down get out of my way approach to driving. Interesting to watch nonetheless.

It's quite amazing, he doesn't seem to stop for breath!! And yes he does have a foot down get out of my way approach to driving. Interesting to watch nonetheless.
Yeah, I'm a little unsure about the AI, but the game is pretty. Maybe not a popular opinion, but I really enjoy the mix of cars in that video. Looking forward to IGN getting a hold of it - that should give us some interesting info. Wish I wasn't working during it.

Back