Project CARS 3 Launches to Mixed Reviews

His arguments are based in labeling again and only in the easy career mode.

People don't have to choose only between arcade or sim. I played the grid demo and had no fun at all, I was driving thinking in other things, the game didn't reward my focus, as it didn't matter for the result if I was sliding or crashing... no good sensations with good driving techniques neither.

I'm not sure but PC3 could keep my focus on driving well if it rewards clean lines and good driving techniques with good car reactions, good sensations and better laptimes.

And as I don't care too much about car setups, it could fit the way many people and I enjoy driving.

I've never agreeded the argument that a racing game have to be casual and not hardcore in order to get a "more profitable user base".

As easy as let turn off or on aids, open races and lobbys or with restrictions, daily race A with boost (as gt sport does), etc for keeping both kind of users and everyone in between.

Dirt4 and 2.0 have sim mode and arcade mode too, the user can choose.

The choose between arcade or sim is no sense to me when they can let custom everything and I hope there will be tyre wear, fuel consumption, etc in a patch because all can be compatible now.

No his argument is that there's things in career mode that aren't rewarding and nosense with practically no progression.
AI don't make you get a clean racer, without damage and short races online it can be a wreckfest game

He said also, for short 10 minutes races without pitstops and full assists you can use Pcars 2, physics aren't downed down and you can put it quite "casual fast playing" as pcars3

Other simcades as Forza and GT are better and have huge community's.

Other arcade as grid can be like Pcars 2.

It don't rewards the player that is looking for setups and long racing or times racing.

So even his first impressions were ok, thinking it could be like an toca race driver , after playing more hours his reflection and question is "towards which type of player is Pcars 3 focused?"

Lots of other games gives you same or better things as pcars3.

@Scaff - It's a forum so it's tricky trying to get across your intentions. :)
The mischievous smiley was there to show that even though you'd posted information to what is a somewhat negative review three still seems to be "a lot of fun" to be had from playing it.

They themselves say "It’s easy to pick up and play and the racing here is robust enough for some casual thrills and spills". It's almost like an afterthought. It's like they feel guilty!

Am I not permitted to disagree with IGN's view?
No of course not. So you'd disagree with IGN review and rate it differently?

I don't see how you can give GRID an 8 and this game a 6
Perhaps it's because there's too many tracks? ;)

GRID looks better than this on consoles + AI is better and have interesting NEMESIS mechanics, it has good car classes and driving model is fine also. Personally i would give GRID 7/10 but i really like it. I didn't play PCars 3 to compare it but what i heard it is technical mess.

I should specify I was coming from a PC perspective with an RTX 2070 super at 4k. I don't really see either one much different graphically from one another.

But with so few tracks on GRID, they really should be polished, and there are definitely some uneven visuals going on.

It does seem there are more framerate issues on consoles with PC3 compared to GRID on consoles, that is a fair point. Hopefully they can improve that with patches.

@Scaff - It's a forum so it's tricky trying to get across your intentions. :)
The mischievous smiley was there to show that even though you'd posted information to what is a somewhat negative review three still seems to be "a lot of fun" to be had from playing it.

They themselves say "It’s easy to pick up and play and the racing here is robust enough for some casual thrills and spills". It's almost like an afterthought. It's like they feel guilty!
Fair enough, my ASD will be a factor as well, I take things very literally a lot.

No of course not. So you'd disagree with IGN review and rate it differently?
I would, but I need a bit more time to fully form that view, then again I'm one who believes you can never have too many racing titles.

Push Square Review

Project CARS 3 - A Somewhat Fun Arcade Racer Going Through an Identity Crisis

Conclusion

Project CARS 3 marks a significant departure for the series, abandoning most of its sim heritage in favour of arcade racing. Offering a variety of different cars and tracks, there’s plenty of content on offer, making for a fun distraction, but it lacks the excitement we expect from wheel-to-wheel racing. It takes inspiration from all over the place, but it’s perhaps most closely aligned with Sony’s own DriveClub. It would seem, then, that the PS4 cycle is ending the way it began. We’re just not sure we’d pick this over what’s come before.

https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/project_cars_3

Pros -
  • Excellent variety of cars and tracks
  • Single and multiplayer daily challenges can be fun
  • Accessible and engaging career mode

Cons
  • A bit stingy in career payouts
  • Cars lack identity
  • Lacking a bit of spectacle
  • Very similar to other console offerings

6/10

They really need to fix the career payouts cause everyone is pointing out how bad it is.

I take things very literally a lot.
I had noticed. I'm the same, I have to stop myself from posting on occasions. :)

but I need a bit more time to fully form that view,
Not having it myself yet it's difficult to judge, but it appears the game might be a slow burner that gains ground as it develops.

Have you tried online yet. There's not much mention of the matchmaking or rivals mode by anyone yet.

I must admit I have yet to play PC3.....

But since it looks like a bag of dicks and cheesier than the cheesiest cheese I decided to blow the dust off PC1.

Is it me or are the graphics, sound and FFB better than PC2 and PC3, by quite a margin I feel and can see.

Last edited:
Do they plan on releasing a demo at least? No way I’m spending 79.99 to try it out. It will probably be free for ps plus members next year anyway, if the reviews are anything to go by.

I must admit I have yet to play PC3.....

But since it looks like a bag of dicks and cheesier than the cheesiest cheese I decided to blow the dust off PC1.

Is it me or are the graphics, sound and FFB better than PC2 and PC3, by quite a margin I feel and can see.

The sound mix and levels which were great in PC1 are relatively poor in PC2, but I find it better than PC1 in all other respects.

So far PC3 sounds like one to miss - at least until it's cheap.

No his argument is that there's things in career mode that aren't rewarding and nosense with practically no progression.
AI don't make you get a clean racer, without damage and short races online it can be a wreckfest game

He said also, for short 10 minutes races without pitstops and full assists you can use Pcars 2, physics aren't downed down and you can put it quite "casual fast playing" as pcars3

Other simcades as Forza and GT are better and have huge community's.

Other arcade as grid can be like Pcars 2.

It don't rewards the player that is looking for setups and long racing or times racing.

So even his first impressions were ok, thinking it could be like an toca race driver , after playing more hours his reflection and question is "towards which type of player is Pcars 3 focused?"

Lots of other games gives you same or better things as pcars3.

But the career mode is not the whole game... I think he's giving too much importance to the career mode.

He use to be a drama-youtuber, he exagerates dangers everywhere and so he does in pc3 videos. I don't think that his oppinion is very elaborated neither...

I had noticed. I'm the same, I have to stop myself from posting on occasions. :)
👍

Not having it myself yet it's difficult to judge, but it appears the game might be a slow burner that gains ground as it develops.

Have you tried online yet. There's not much mention of the matchmaking or rivals mode by anyone yet.
I tried on-line last night, used the scheduled races and while the lobbies were not full (but as the full release date isn't here yet and it was midnight that's not a surprise), the connections worked well. Qualifying worked and the races themselves are better in length than the career ones, one was a 15 lap race in Road D cars around Runapua, no lag or issues at all.

Qualifying worked and the races themselves are better in length than the career ones, one was a 15 lap race in Road D cars around Runapua, no lag or issues at all.
I did one too (Xbox), Trophy Trucks at Lydden Hill :lol:

Maybe, just like a certain other game, the online racing will be PC3s strong point. I've a feeling that with the changes they've made that's the direction they have aimed the game in. pCORS - Project Cars Online Racing Shenanigans.
Great shame it's not cross platform, that'd be a big selling point.

Do you earn experience/credits online?

After ign review is a total no buy. Not even at 20€.
Wait for ACC gt4 pack on console.
I’m waiting for that and a patch.

View attachment 952303

PC3 is rising up the Steam sales charts - its now at #14. So no repeat of the Fast & Furious disaster. What I honestly do find surprising is PC2 (still at full price) is at #6. Normally you would not expect people to buy the old game 2 days before the new one arrives. I wonder if the reviews are having an effect.
Interesting to see how many ask for refunds.

Cars lack identity

One of the most frustrating and beautiful things about project cars 2 is that the cars all appear to have a different identity. Because I'm not a highly-skilled racer, there are numerous cars that I can't control and so many cars feel different from each other and sound different from each other.

Although I have been highly critical of the decision to drop pit stops and all the fun/uncertainty that comes with that, I was actually leaning toward getting this game anyway.

I recently bought an Xbox One X and have been playing Forza Motorsport 7 (for me to play career mode with a wheel) and Forza Horizon 4 (with my daughter. She loves it and is very good at it. This one we play with the controller).

Anyway, the reason I mentioned those games is because I've found a way to enjoy some open world racing, some shorter races that don't involve tuning and pit stops and I've been really enjoying it. (Thank you @IfAndOr for reminding me I used to love those sessions)

I was willing to use project cars 3 in the same way but if each individual car doesn't have identity then I'll likely pass, but this time for a different reason.

Edit: I'm hoping to hear more about the game from you guys who have it because I know you'll tell the truth, unvarnished, without an agenda. not that reviews aren't helpful in overall guidance but there is usually an underlying agenda whether it means toward the positive or negative.

Last edited:
Anyway, my computer is a 965@3.2 with 6 GB of ram and a stock 1070. PCars 3 still runs for me.
smile.png
I think my graphics are good. I was impressed with the new storm settings having tree movement from the wind and the downwash from a closely hovering helicopter driving dust across the track. I was wondering if this might cause issues with consoles though. I noticed that with around 20 cars on track when I hit the transition to rain my car shakes and stalls momentarily and I get screen tearing for a few seconds, kind of unnerving going into a corner. I think it might be my below spec computer and was curious if consoles suffered similar effects. With all the issues PCars 2 had with rain I liked that you can finally adjust the amount of water on the track surface to suit your liking. No more giant puddle/lakes unless you want them. I prefer Photo Mode from PCars 2, others may like the PCars 3 Photo Mode which resembles the console one from PCars 2, which is ok because PCars 3 is more of a console centric game.

I agree with others about the AI but I am not sure it needs changing for the early Career races to keep casual/new people interested in continuing. Increasing difficulty as you move up in Career is of course preferred.

I am not sure about the grinding for points and cash. Looks like a big investment in time. I maxed out everything in both Shifts but I am not really interested/capable in doing that again.

Oh, I forgot to mention the improvement in the liveries, spectacular!
biggrin.png

Anyway, my computer is a 965@3.2 with 6 GB of ram and a stock 1070. PCars 3 still runs for me.
smile.png
I think my graphics are good. I was impressed with the new storm settings having tree movement from the wind and the downwash from a closely hovering helicopter driving dust across the track. I was wondering if this might cause issues with consoles though. I noticed that with around 20 cars on track when I hit the transition to rain my car shakes and stalls momentarily and I get screen tearing for a few seconds, kind of unnerving going into a corner. I think it might be my below spec computer and was curious if consoles suffered similar effects. With all the issues PCars 2 had with rain I liked that you can finally adjust the amount of water on the track surface to suit your liking. No more giant puddle/lakes unless you want them. I prefer Photo Mode from PCars 2, others may like the PCars 3 Photo Mode which resembles the console one from PCars 2, which is ok because PCars 3 is more of a console centric game.

I agree with others about the AI but I am not sure it needs changing for the early Career races to keep casual/new people interested in continuing. Increasing difficulty as you move up in Career is of course preferred.

I am not sure about the grinding for points and cash. Looks like a big investment in time. I maxed out everything in both Shifts but I am not really interested/capable in doing that again.

Oh, I forgot to mention the improvement in the liveries, spectacular!
biggrin.png
My laptop is just a 4GB 1050 ti and it doesn't look so bad and runs decent :)

Waiting for the ps4 pro version to unlock to see it on 55" 4k tv.

My laptop is just a 4GB 1050 ti and it doesn't look so bad and runs decent :)

Waiting for the ps4 pro version to unlock to see it on 55" 4k tv.

Cool, I have read about others having issues. It looks like you would need almost $ 1 million to get to own 3 GTRs. For me money is hard to come by at the early stages. I really like the way my game looks on my monitor.

Can anyone watch this review and do a quick summary of it? Im in appointments sneaking peeks at my phone but I can't watch a video right now

Looking at the first gameplay and reviews and ive got to say this game is a shambles. I wouldnt be bothered if i never play it - which is a really really sad fact as i was a massive fan of the first two games. In fact the first Pcars i was here right from the start with the waiting and anticipation and it would be probably be my favourite game of this generation. But i have no words for this 'sequel'.

That’s a worry that the game doesn’t provide appropriate feedback through the wheel that you’d have to change view.
I was on pad at the time.

Trigger vibration is excellent for the brakes, but completely dead for the throttle. If you’re used to the sensitive trigger vibration of Forza it can be a little tricky to feel the grip limit in this game so far.

In other news:

Yep, I share races with him. It's easy to do a driver swap when you enter the pits and his pace is much better than the Bob in PCars2.
Unfortunately, sometimes it's too easy to do a Driver Swap in pCARS 2. Like being in 3rd place with 10 laps to go in a 60 lap race and accidentely hitting Driver Swap while scrolling the ICM Menu. Next thing you know, you're pulling your hair out having to wait for Bob to do his turtle paced lap before he can pit in so you can re-take control of your vehicle and continue on with the race :dunce: :grumpy: :lol:.

Graphics are ok on the pc at 4k. Wont knock your socks off but does seem more optimized with better fps than pc2. Colors definitely pop more.

I'm not entirely sure I'm seeing hdr on my TV it reports the signal as having hdr but no option to turn it off and on settings or for hdr brightness.
I sure would hope so mate considering, they gutted the game.
-----------------------
It pains me to say this but, as an avid Hardcore pCARS 2 driver who puts in hours & hours on a daily basis in practicing and tuning cars for enduro race leagues, I will not purchase this game.. Heck, I wouldn't even install it on my system if you gave it to me for free.

I guess you can say that I'm protesting the game and I'm not the only one as, most of my fellow league members are following suit.

I'd never wish anything bad to anyone but, they lied to us and continue to talk about the game as if we were born into Sim Racing yesterday.

Listen, if they flat out told us that this is more of an Arcade Racer and such, and name it something else, I'd probably buy it knowing that the true continuation of the pCARS Series is ahead of us.

Also, don't they realize that by naming it Project Cars 3, they've destroyed their future in a marketing sense if they were to come out with the true succesor of the Series in the future?

It just doesn't make sense to me. :indiff:

The Failrace review is up:

I haven't watched yet but they're generally well put together and fair.

Can anyone watch this review and do a quick summary of it? Im in appointments sneaking peeks at my phone but I can't watch a video right now

It's not really a review. He likes the game, but he feels like it shouldn't be called Project CARS and he doesn't like (the look of) the UI. He seems to like the AI, he is able to have some close racing.

One of the most frustrating and beautiful things about project cars 2 is that the cars all appear to have a different identity. Because I'm not a highly-skilled racer, there are numerous cars that I can't control and so many cars feel different from each other and sound different from each other.

Although I have been highly critical of the decision to drop pit stops and all the fun/uncertainty that comes with that, I was actually leaning toward getting this game anyway.

I recently bought an Xbox One X and have been playing Forza Motorsport 7 (for me to play career mode with a wheel) and Forza Horizon 4 (with my daughter. She loves it and is very good at it. This one we play with the controller).

Anyway, the reason I mentioned those games is because I've found a way to enjoy some open world racing, some shorter races that don't involve tuning and pit stops and I've been really enjoying it. (Thank you @IfAndOr for reminding me I used to love those sessions)

I was willing to use project cars 3 in the same way but if each individual car doesn't have identity then I'll likely pass, but this time for a different reason.

Edit: I'm hoping to hear more about the game from you guys who have it because I know you'll tell the truth, unvarnished, without an agenda. not that reviews aren't helpful in overall guidance but there is usually an underlying agenda whether it means toward the positive or negative.

So im not too far in career, but I first picked the Toyota 86 then sold that and got the 65 mustang. The mustang is noticeably different than the 86, as it should be. I’m biased but I like this game more than forza....always have always will. Something about the engine and the visuals that resonates with me more than the forza look and feel.....even going back to shift. I know forza has all the great cars and avatars and the store but to me all I ever did in forza was practice/hot laps. I never got a sense of pride of ownership or progression cause I was always handed cars and money. I didn’t play the career either thought it was boring.

Back