Project CARS almost unplayable (blurry image) PS4PS4 

• Thread starter bjosim
  • 49 comments
After waiting for so long in anticipation I have to say I am a little disappointed that can't play it without getting sick.

I have a 60 inch plasma, and with the way my living room is, I have to have my seat pretty close to the TV (about 1,5 meters). This has never been a problem with any game so far, but with this, when things move fast they get blurry or unclear in some way. It's almost as if the 3D mode is on, without the goggles.

It's horrible. Anyone know something about this? Read something in an article that there may be a problem regarding something similar, but it didn't seem like as big of an issue as I have. Probably, my problem is exacerbated by my screen size and position though.

Hi, friend. I had the same problem with my Sony TV HX855.
I had to disable the MotionFlow option in the TV, and now the Project Cars looks much better.

I think it would help if people mentioned what type of TV they have. Plasma, LCD, LED. MotionFlow is typically an LCD/LED feature related to 120HZ/240HZ refresh rates.

I think it would help if people mentioned what type of TV they have. Plasma, LCD, LED. MotionFlow is typically an LCD/LED feature related to 120HZ/240HZ refresh rates.
But when we record a video (race replay for example) and export to youtube you could see also this effect in the computer. Why the problem is on the TV?

But when we record a video (race replay for example) and export to youtube you could see also this effect in the computer. Why the problem is on the TV?
It exists on all screens when the output is from PS4. The difference is certain TVs make the issue more apparent than others. As a test, yesterday I moved my PS4 to a cheap Insignia LCD I have and fired up Project CARS. While ghosting was there, it blurred the gap between the ghosting images more than my plasma does, so the strain was much less on my eyes. On my plasma, there is a clear delineation between each ghosted image, which tricks my brain into thinking I've gone cross-eyed and my eyes furiously try to focus.

It exists on all screens when the output is from PS4. The difference is certain TVs make the issue more apparent than others. As a test, yesterday I moved my PS4 to a cheap Insignia LCD I have and fired up Project CARS. While ghosting was there, it blurred the gap between the ghosting images more than my plasma does, so the strain was much less on my eyes. On my plasma, there is a clear delineation between each ghosted image, which tricks my brain into thinking I've gone cross-eyed and my eyes furiously try to focus.
This is one video that i share in youtube to test the blur image . You coul see that the image is with a little blur effect.

This is how bad it is on my Samsung plasma (50", game-mode on, not a problem on any other source I've watched in the past 6 years).

XZYW2ZWQbP_K5_V0soyjaT3w0_ozFJBJqHUFPTPyO-8=w1410-h821-no

Sharp Aquos LCD

Attachments

• 20150516020110.jpg
    20150516020110.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20150516020103.jpg
    20150516020103.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
This is on a Sharp Aquos 50" LCD non LED with game mode on, fast motion off.

Attachments

• 20150514181648.jpg
    20150514181648.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 59
@Jeff Jones further proof that it's the type of display that makes the difference.

I've noticed that after about 20 minutes of racing time, my eyes start to adjust, but I'm waiting for the day of that slider being added because it's still a blurry mess, eyes adjusted or not.

@Jeff Jones further proof that it's the type of display that makes the difference.

I've noticed that after about 20 minutes of racing time, my eyes start to adjust, but I'm waiting for the day of that slider being added because it's still a blurry mess, eyes adjusted or not.

Also keep in mind my pics were captured via ps4 screenshot while paused during a replay. I'll post a pic later today of what I see in their 'photo mode' while the game is paused during a race. I get no ghosting while in replay mode when paused, but some while paused during the actual race.The photo mode in this game needs to be updated to something similar of what Driveclub has done with their game, with full free camera movement. It would make for some great pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
@HAL20XX, here's some ghosting I captured today. If I pause during a race or time trial, this is what I sometimes see but not always. I never see it while actually racing, but first noticed the ghosting with the captured photos that ps4 takes when earning trophies.
20150516151954.jpg
20150516152019.jpg

Hi, friend. I had the same problem with my Sony TV HX855.
I had to disable the MotionFlow option in the TV, and now the Project Cars looks much better.

MotionFlow is Sony's name for Motion Interpolation, which pretty much all LCD TVs have these days. I also disabled it on my 55" Bravia a while ago, before I got pCARS, and all of my games looked sharper. I had my TV settings optimised for sharpness when gaming before pCARS came out, and I noticed immediately how nice it looks on my TV compared to my friend's, and I figured he must have had that stuff turned on on his TV, because the blur was so huge it made the game almost unplayable. I would still like the option to dial the blur down in game though. I wouldn't turn it right off, I would just reduce it to an acceptable level, as it does give the game a more natural look.

@HAL20XX, here's some ghosting I captured today. If I pause during a race or time trial, this is what I sometimes see but not always. I never see it while actually racing, but first noticed the ghosting with the captured photos that ps4 takes when earning trophies.View attachment 367802View attachment 367803

That's because trophy captures are live gameplay not paused gameplay. You won't see the ghosting that everyone else are banging on about from paused stills.

I find it worse when watching replays than actually playing. Maybe because in replays cars tend to look like they are moving faster and different angles make it appear more.

Oh well I'm playing this on a Benq 120hz monitor because it wasn't as bad as my LG tv lol. Bring on the option to turn it off or dial it down. Can't wait.

Not really a game breaking problem for me.

After waiting for so long in anticipation I have to say I am a little disappointed that can't play it without getting sick.

I have a 60 inch plasma, and with the way my living room is, I have to have my seat pretty close to the TV (about 1,5 meters). This has never been a problem with any game so far, but with this, when things move fast they get blurry or unclear in some way. It's almost as if the 3D mode is on, without the goggles.

It's horrible. Anyone know something about this? Read something in an article that there may be a problem regarding something similar, but it didn't seem like as big of an issue as I have. Probably, my problem is exacerbated by my screen size and position though.
My Wife's sister played PCars here last night and it made her feel really sick with the blurring.

Latest Posts

Back