Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
Yeah forgot about that, but always felt CARS was The big racing game of the year. It's a good thing they're taking their time though but they're pushing themselves into a year already filled with big hitters.
Its got nothing to do with other games and when they are launching. The game isn't finished. They had 2 choices, release it as is (lots of stuff not finished) and hope people stuck around and waited for them to finish the game with patches, or delay the game and try to get the game closer to finished before release. I think they made the right choice.

Well if this until March delay is official, they just shot themselves in the foot in terms of sales (people buy more things during the holiday seasons). I wouldn't be suprised if it's delayed once again to around autumn/November 2015. Its been now over a year in delays, cmon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUK/status/523099884619309056

Edit: Delay confirmed

Its got nothing to do with other games and when they are launching. The game isn't finished. They had 2 choices, release it as is (lots of stuff not finished) and hope people stuck around and waited for them to finish the game with patches, or delay the game and try to get the game closer to finished before release. I think they made the right choice.

So it got delayed because of other big games releasing at this time.

Not sure I agree with this, they would have had the racing scene wide open for them, heck by march they run the risk of GT7 getting announced before it, lost momentum there in my opinion.

Edit: @fatkrakr http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-17-project-cars-delayed-until-march-2015-reports-suggest

It does have something to do with other games.
The reason for march is as follows
when releasing a game you want yours to stand out now if they delayed by a month they would be still before christmas however sales would suffer due to the other releases.
The games only needs polishing which wont be to long as it mainly bits to do with the consoles. however games in january and february dont sell well because people dont have much money. This is same right across retail.
By releasing in march they stand out and people will have gotten bored of drive club and the crew meaning sales of a new racing game will be better.
Please remember this isnt a big budget game and the devs because of this decision are making massive sacrifices.

Just to clarify the original date would have put it in the same time period (and day in the case of most of them) :
COD:AW
Halo MCC
Far Cry 4
AC: Unity
GTA V
and probably a few I missed

It is a time of very heavy competition, even though they are not racers (I call GTA V as a racer the usp being that you can shoot the guy who put you off track.)

March 2015 on the other hand will see competition from releases like:
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.... yea

Titanfall on X1 was released in March and is the best selling of all the X1 games

Just to clarify the original date would have put it in the same time period (and day in the case of most of them) :
Halo MCC
Far Cry 4
GTA V

It is a time of very heavy competition, even though they are not racers (I call GTA V as a racer the usp being that you can shoot the guy who put you off track.)

Titanfall on X1 was released in March and is the best selling of all the X1 games
Dont forget the witcher 3 in february

It's also a good thing, as it gives the devs more time to get more cars and tracks into the released game before expansion packstc.
Halo MCC
Far Cry 4
GTA V

Will Battlefield Hardline be coming out in Early/ first quarter 2015?

I guess to people on the inside this was pretty clear, so we were not disappointed. Most expected it and greeted the news with optimism and positivity. The progress SMS has been making lately is terrific but I think there would be too many bugs by November and that would probably just kill the game right there. Luckily Ian Bell has a few million to fund the game by himself for a few month, so really everyone benefits from this. WMD members get to enjoy each other's company for a few more months and consumers get to enjoy a finished product when it's released. This game is going to be so good that it's worth waiting for.

So far I see in the same period as the new PCARS date:
Witcher III
Metal Gear Solid V (expected in March)
Battlefield Hardline (expected in March)
Mortal Kombat X
The Order 1886

More than a month earlier than PCARS you'd also have Evolve and Bloodborne, so not really counting those.

Halo MCC
Far Cry 4
GTA V

I always thought marketing 101 taught you to Always have your product ready for the holiday season. :confused: Never heard of delaying your product till after the holidays to increase your sales. :odd:

I always thought marketing 101 taught you to Always have your product ready for the holiday season. :confused: Never heard of delaying your product till after the holidays to increase your sales. :odd:
It's not that. The main reason Ian and the team want to put the game out there without (many) bugs on day 1. I respect that decision. Putting quality first is the right approach. If it was EA game we know what would happen, so I don't think anyone can be disappointed here. It's done with the gamers in mind, not anything else really.

So far I see in the same period as the new PCARS date:
Witcher III
Metal Gear Solid V (expected in March)
Battlefield Hardline (expected in March)
Mortal Kombat X
The Order 1886

More than a month earlier than PCARS you'd also have Evolve and Bloodborne, so not really counting those.

Bloodbourne as well, some heavy hitters there.

Please, folks - there is no hiding behind anything. The press release is quite clear saying:

"The move positions the title away from the competitive holiday scene dominated by household names (Ed: AND) while affording the team at Slightly Mad Studios additional time to extend and polish their ground-breaking and accomplished next-gen racing experience that’s been created alongside a community of over 85,000 racing fans and real-life professional drivers."

And that's the truth - the reason is two fold. The concern about big name established franchises and other high budget (massive marketing) titles releasing at the same time has been discussed at WMD. Project CARS is a new IP, and while it's known in racing enthusiast circles, it's not yet a household name. Then there is the fact that we could use more time to make sure that it hits the players in a good state.

The announcement of the delay has been met exclusively with positive reactions on WMD. It always was a WMD credo that it should be released when it's ready. The slogan "By Racers For Racers" actually means something.

Well I'm seriously pissed about this. I've just bought a PS4 with driveclub to play on to tide me over until the previously stated release in November of PCars. I'm not a gamer in general so don't care about other games, I just want a racing sim type game. If I'd known I would have used that money towards a PC.

I shall now cancel the preorder LE edition, which I chose specifically to give a bit more money towards SMS as I liked so much what they were doing. That good will has been lost.

I'm a very very very unhappy bunny!

Last edited:
I didn't choose it for being better, I never even considered your alternative for one reason only, I will not give any money to Microsoft.
Contradiction there. PC = windows = money to MS. Unless you pirate windows of course.

Anyway, I understand you are upset. But getting a PC is always a better option, so I just don't get why you would get PS4 instead other than some cost savings. But if you are short of money, I don't see a problem either, since you wouldn't be able to afford a good PC.

Last edited:
Please, folks - there is no hiding behind anything. The press release is quite clear saying:

"The move positions the title away from the competitive holiday scene dominated by household names (Ed: AND) while affording the team at Slightly Mad Studios additional time to extend and polish their ground-breaking and accomplished next-gen racing experience that’s been created alongside a community of over 85,000 racing fans and real-life professional drivers."

And that's the truth - the reason is two fold. The concern about big name established franchises and other high budget (massive marketing) titles releasing at the same time has been discussed at WMD. Project CARS is a new IP, and while it's known in racing enthusiast circles, it's not yet a household name. Then there is the fact that we could use more time to make sure that it hits the players in a good state.

The announcement of the delay has been met exclusively with positive reactions on WMD. It always was a WMD credo that it should be released when it's ready. The slogan "By Racers For Racers" actually means something.
I did see this coming in a way, further backs up @Wolfe 's first thesis that the Wii U version was put in a cool down because of Smash Bros too.

I'm perfectly fine with the bug ironing part. If that makes it a better game without annoying launch bugs, then the have every reason they need to delay. I just don't understand why they seem to only consider this as a secondary reason. The first reason just doesn't make sense to me, definitely considering that their new release date has nearly as many triple A games coming out as during this holiday period...

Please pull your head out of your arse. There are other operating systems that run on PC's.
Sell the PS4, buy a PC. Probably get close to full price because its new and the buyer will save the sales tax.

Back