Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
Empty box tweet:
@SynteZZZ Ehh, Career mode is incredibly basic, tracks are poor, graphics aren't that special outside certain ToD, AI is easy...
Point one - not true. Career looks great
Point two - is he referring to the track count or the production quality? Well both are amazing so false again
Point three - he must be using driveclub as a benchmark, that's the only racer that passes this graphically right now
Point four - now this really is crap. He's lost to the ai himself in his videos.

I like Matt, I think he's very funny and can be informative when he wants to be, I'm a subscriber to his channel, but it is laughable to criticize Project Cars for the things that the games he loves don't have either. Graphics, career mode etc.

Me too, love his style of commentary and skills of course.

Point one - not true. Career looks great
Point two - is he referring to the track count or the production quality? Well both are amazing so false again
Point three - he must be using driveclub as a benchmark, that's the only racer that passes this graphically right now
Point four - now this really is crap. He's lost to the ai himself in his videos.

Yes, his opinions have no substance in this case. Yet he is one of the bloakes that will say 'passable' if he is really hyped about something. And he has also shown to be able to change opinions once he sees improvements for gripes he personally has with a game.

I'm not overly concerned with other people's opinion about PCARS. I've been waiting a long time to get my hands on it and in 8 days I'll be forming my own opinions about where it excels and falls short.
Yeah same here, I've been wait years for this game, I'm not interested in outside opinions on this game. Either way I'm binge playing this game. :3

I just got back from GAME and they did have pCARS running on PS4, so without any further ado, here are my findings after taking a Ginetta out for a quick spin at Oulton Park and watching some guy do 5 laps at Imola:

I thought the game looked great. far more crisp than the videos I've seen on VVV (YouTube compression I know) but I was still pleasantly surprised.

I noticed some jaggies here and there (mostly trees and posts) but for now I'll put that down to the LCD tv it was on so will see what my plasma looks like. should be less jaggies on a plasma.

the graphics were very good, nice and solid, lots of detail, only saw a bit of screen tear and that was on some trackside details like trees. didn't see the road or cars tear for example.

and last but not least.... you guessed it, the GHOOOOOOSTSSSS...

...of which had no affect on me whatsoever. actually to the point where I couldn't really say I noticed them. far far less visible than ANY of the VVV footage I've seen of late. I know it's only my opinion, but those PS4 owners out there who may be worried by all this ghosting talk should stop the worry until you actually play it. decide for yourselves. perhaps some are more susceptible to it than others, but it really was not jumping out at me at all.

so all in all, I'm well chuffed with the visuals.

as for the handling, well, I wasn't great with a pad at all, but I wasn't there for the physics really, but I was happy to see that if you get your rear wheels on the curb you're likely to spin out. excellent.

hope this feedback helps some of you guys out 👍

the hype is real :gtpflag:

I just got back from GAME and they did have pCARS running on PS4, so without any further ado, here are my findings after taking a Ginetta out for a quick spin at Oulton Park and watching some guy do 5 laps at Imola:

I thought the game looked great. far more crisp than the videos I've seen on VVV (YouTube compression I know) but I was still pleasantly surprised.

I noticed some jaggies here and there (mostly trees and posts) but for now I'll put that down to the LCD tv it was on so will see what my plasma looks like. should be less jaggies on a plasma.

the graphics were very good, nice and solid, lots of detail, only saw a bit of screen tear and that was on some trackside details like trees. didn't see the road or cars tear for example.

...of which had no affect on me whatsoever. actually to the point where I couldn't really say I noticed them. far far less visible than ANY of the VVV footage I've seen of late. I know it's only my opinion, but those PS4 owners out there who may be worried by all this ghosting talk should stop the worry until you actually play it. decide for yourselves. perhaps some are more susceptible to it than others, but it really was not jumping out at me at all.

as for the handling, well, I wasn't great with a pad at all, but I wasn't there for the physics really, but I was happy to see that if you get your rear wheels on the curb you're likely to spin out. excellent.

Great stuff. Probably gonna make my first race in the game in the McLaren P1 at 100% AI at the Nords. Will probably record it too.

Then why on earth does he say "this isn't on iracing/ rfactor's level"?

And why is it fanboy-ish to dismiss stuff that is clearly not the case?

Because it isn't always about physics. Driveclub / Forza Horizon could have the greatest, most accurate physics and tyre model of all time, but I still wouldn't ever touch them with a ten-foot pole. On the other side, if PCars has an enjoyable, diverse and deeply-replayable career mode, competitive and raceable AI and believable race dynamics, then I really don't care if it doesn't have the most accurate handling in the world. Seriously.

NR2003 is my go to racing game right now for reasons similar to what I've listed above.

Because it isn't always about physics. Driveclub / Forza Horizon could have the greatest, most accurate physics and tyre model of all time, but I still wouldn't ever touch them with a ten-foot pole. On the other side, if PCars has an enjoyable, diverse and deeply-replayable career mode, competitive and raceable AI and believable race dynamics, then I really don't care if it doesn't have the most accurate handling in the world. Seriously.

NR2003 is my go to racing game right now for reasons similar to what I've listed above.
But it does have accurate physics, that's what I'm saying. Empty box is talking rubbish.

But it does have accurate physics, that's what I'm saying. Empty box is talking rubbish.

I'm a former iRacing subscriber, 3 year + membership. I also have my own race car in the real world. The handling in iRacing is lacking in communication and feedback at the limit if grip. The problem lies in the tyre model - it crosses the grip threshold far too sharply doesn't provide enough feedback for one to judge the difference between 98% and 100%.

But of course, that's just how I feel about it.

And besides, my post was specifically replying to someone asking how someone could say that the sim with worse physics is better than the other.

Hopefully you have a wheel and you are fast. Otherwise the car is a handful plus AI is fast on that track
No wheel and I ain't that fast.
Good to be ambitious. Don't get frustrated if you wreck the car...as the backmarker...before you reach the Karussel. :cheers:
Well, I'm currently practicing on GTR2 in a McLaren F1 GTR Longtail GT1 so moving from that (on an older game using a controller that ain't supported) to the (by comparison) tame P1, should be fine.

His Physics Benchmark is rFactor 2, which essentially comes from the same (American) school of Physics, iRacing was designed after: More Ice=More Fun.

Laptimes, corner speeds, longitudinal and lateral grip, measured in 'geez' are absolutely comparable to the real cars, which is the real benchmark.

Differences (and imo advances PCars made over other sims) is a better transport of the weight shifting, low speed tire simulation as well as FFB, progressive grip loss beyond the slip threshold of the tires and throttle simulation based on airflow instead of (soely) pedal input. These and many more factors combined made guys like Rene Rast, Deadmau5 (and other famous Drivers that don't want their name to be leaked) play and enjoy the game.

Like in any Sim, there are also flaws/restrictions by hardware resources/simplifications in the PCars simulation, they are thankfully covered up by a overall superb driving experience.

Some Sim Drivers are so used to their icy feeling that anything else is considered 'arcadey' regardless if it is more true to life than their Sim of choice or not.

Well, I'm currently practicing on GTR2 in a McLaren F1 GTR Longtail GT1 so moving from that (on an older game using a controller that ain't supported) to the (by comparison) tame P1, should be fine.

From my experience i would say the most difficult cars in the game are the staple Hypercars (P1/Huayra/Ruf CTR3) because they have insane amounts of power, relatively high weight, relatively low downforce, relatively hard/slippy tires and weak brakes, compared to Race Cars.

His Physics Benchmark is rFactor 2, which essentially comes from the same (American) school of Physics, iRacing was designed after: More Ice=More Fun.

Laptimes, corner speeds, longitudinal and lateral grip, measured in 'geez' are absolutely comparable to the real cars, which is the real benchmark.

Differences (and imo advances PCars made over other sims) is a better transport of the weight shifting, low speed tire simulation as well as FFB, progressive grip loss beyond the slip threshold of the tires and throttle simulation based on airflow instead of (soely) pedal input. These and many more factors combined made guys like Rene Rast, Deadmau5 (and other famous Drivers that don't want their name to be leaked) play and enjoy the game.

Like in any Sim, there are also flaws/restrictions by hardware resources/simplifications in the PCars simulation, they are thankfully covered up by a overall superb driving experience.

Some Sim Drivers are so used to their icy feeling that anything else is considered 'arcadey' regardless if it is more true to life than their Sim of choice or not.

When I tried a build of Project CARS a few weeks ago for the first time round a friends (Fanatec CSR ClubSport Pedals V1), I tried the Clio Cup car. Reason being that I have driven one on a track day at the PalmerSport Bedford Autodrome in 2009 (see my avatar). The real car understeered ever so slightly out of corners with no tyre squeal & with no particular feeling in the wheel, it just goes slightly wide. The real car had loads of grip, but did get some lift off oversteer, which was a great thing to experience! When I drove the Clio Cup car in P CARS, it felt pretty much the same as the real one to me, in fact I started to get a familiar sensation, like a memory of when I drove the real car. The feeling of rubber, they way the tyres warmed up, this digital sim almost felt...analogue to me!

However, when I tried the Clio in R Factor 2 the back end was all over the place, it was pretty much un-drivable (ice physics indeed). Yes, that's a lot of fun to drive those kind of cars & tame them, but it's hardly realistic in my experience.

I'm stoked to see how each car feels in Project CARS, & there are a ton of them to get my hands on. Quality over quantity indeed. Can't wait!

From my experience i would say the most difficult cars in the game are the staple Hypercars (P1/Huayra/Ruf CTR3) because they have insane amounts of power, relatively high weight, relatively low downforce, relatively hard/slippy tires and weak brakes, compared to Race Cars.
It sounds like you're quite used to driving the race cars then.

It sounds like you're quite used to driving the race cars then.

Yeah I prefer the slower, nimble race cars like the Formula Rookie/C, Ginetta GT5/4. I always need time to get accustomed to driving the Hypercars and always wish they would be as fast trough the corners as they go down the straights. However, breaking the McLaren F1 from 300+ km/h at the end of the 2nd Le Mans straight without ABS is a truly heart stopping experience if you nail it without crashing or spinning. (Pro Tip: brake early, and then a bit earlier to be able to make it) 👍

Well, I'll be in the P1, starting in 5th with a max grid of cars on the ring.

Also project cars, to me, seems like it's going to have greater success on the console market than the PC market. To your average joe racer who wants something a little bit more organised than what GT or FM offer PCars will be a godsend. On the PC however you have Pcars entering into a very saturated market, one that has some heavy hitters with a lot of time and money invested into their products. Further to that Pcars is also not modable, something that would turn many PC guys off
Exactly; I would have been excited like a 10 year old boy this week should I have stayed on consoles, but the overload of PC racers I've purchased in the past few months (AC, R3R and Dirt), spoiled it a bit.

VBR
...When I drove the Clio Cup car in P CARS, it felt pretty much the same as the real one to me, in fact I started to get a familiar sensation, like a memory of when I drove the real car. The feeling of rubber, they way the tyres warmed up, this digital sim almost felt...analogue to me!
Sounds good. Andrew Weber's Seta tyre model + Clio Cup driver Nicolas Hamilton's testing = payoff :)

What did you think about the track textures?

Which is the problem. There's very few reviewers or anyone of the ilk that I really trust the opinion of. Eurogamer UK are about the closest to being reliable and honest to me.

I like the reviewers who are "I don't like the game, but it's still good", rather than the reviewers who are "I don't like the game, and what I don't like is horrible."

Matt Orr's opinion is not that important. As is the Hardcore PC sim racing crowd in general. They are not many in the grand perspective (~85k, going by iRacing Member Numbers, AC is somwhere around 300k, but huge difference between owners and active players for them) and love to separate themselves from anything 'Mainstream'. Even if not a single one of them is buying PCars, nothing will happen, except them missing out a great, realistic racing game.

Whether it's good publicity, or bad publicity, it's still publicity either way for a game that seems unknown to most average gamers, or racers.

Back