Project CARS/SMS vs Gran Turismo/PD Graphical quality

• Thread starter Samus
  • 50 comments
I wonder how you guys can see the engine under the hood or the inside of the wheels when you are racing :crazy: 1st world problems...
Oh, I bet seeing the engine alongside every component of the car will be an important feature next-gen. I know that Forza, PCARS and Driveclub have it, and while not everyone enjoy looking at the car and prefer racing it instead, those who like appreciating the view of their newly bought vehicle will be inclined to buy another game that offers them exactly that.

I wonder how you guys can see the engine under the hood or the inside of the wheels when you are racing :crazy: 1st world problems...

Many people use the game for things other than racing, just head over to the Photomode forum & see for yourself.

Also, I like viewing replays, & there are many angles where you can clearly see that certain parts of the car aren't modeled at all.

👍

Do exposed driveshafts spin in Gran Turismo? They do in Project Cars don't they? I think that's very impressive.
That is very impressive,

However, the fact that you actually need to ask proofs the point that it is not very relevant.

That is very impressive,

However, the fact that you actually need to ask proofs the point that it is not very relevant.
I have to ask because I don't have the game, and I was judging from videos online, and didn't want to make the assumption that it was going to be fully implemented and not just an effect for a video.

That is very impressive,

Quite relevant actually. GT was the gold standard for overall graphic quality and detail, at least on the PS side of things, for 15 years. PD/GT exceeding the work of SMS is virtually impossible, especially given they have chosen to include 10 year/2 gen old assets in GT7 and there are just too many cars to upgrade for such a small team. SMS/PCars and probably DriveClub will now wrestle that gold standard away from GT and they may never get it back. In the space of a single version of the game they will go from first to third. I'd say that's pretty relevant.

Quite relevant actually. GT was the gold standard for overall graphic quality and detail, at least on the PS side of things, for 15 years. PD/GT exceeding the work of SMS is virtually impossible, especially given they have chosen to include 10 year/2 gen old assets in GT7 and there are just too many cars to upgrade for such a small team. SMS/PCars and probably DriveClub will now wrestle that gold standard away from GT and they may never get it back. In the space of a single version of the game they will go from first to third. I'd say that's pretty relevant.

Well, to be fair, besides this standard cars bs, there are still 400 premium cars in GT and they are still looking extreme impressive. I remember those gt5p Screenshots where you can even see the manufacturer name on the xenon headlights.

I bet PD will surprise us with GT7 :)

So very quick to jump.

Given the options and overall package. GT is still more of a game. If PCARS and DC only support wheels on the PS4 that are more expensive than the system itself. Yeah - no. It'll be that racer that is horrid with a controller. GT has things to work on, but the support is there. DC and PCARS still have less options. I can't wait for DC. But I'm not holding it as the same caliber.

People are holding like PCARS is going to be the samething on the PS4 as it is PC. I absolutely can't wait till someone like you shrugs PCARS off when it releases on the console.

Well, to be fair, besides this standard cars bs, there are still 400 premium cars in GT and they are still looking extreme impressive. I remember those gt5p Screenshots where you can even see the manufacturer name on the xenon headlights.

I bet PD will surprise us with GT7 :)
PD has already surprised many people with GT7. That the "standard" cars or going to be in GT7 is a HUGE surprise. No sound updates until GT7 is also a surprise seeing as how they have been saying the sounds will be updated in GT5, then again for GT6. So I am sure they have many more surprises to come.

So very quick to jump.

Given the options and overall package. GT is still more of a game. If PCARS and DC only support wheels on the PS4 that are more expensive than the system itself. Yeah - no. It'll be that racer that is horrid with a controller. GT has things to work on, but the support is there. DC and PCARS still have less options. I can't wait for DC. But I'm not holding it as the same caliber.

People are holding like PCARS is going to be the samething on the PS4 as it is PC. I absolutely can't wait till someone like you shrugs PCARS off when it releases on the console.
1. PCars is a racing sim. If you want racing, not just driving, PD isn't in the same conversation.

2. If PCars doesn't get wheel support, neither will PD so its a moot point. However, with PCars I at least have a PC option. The total cost of console + wheel vs a new, good quality PC is about the same and the PC is upgradable.
I also don't use a controller so its a non-issue.

3. I'm not under any illusions the game will look as good on PS4 as it does on PC. However, everything will be the same quality, unlike GT which will likely have both standard cars and tracks.

Gameplay first. I love Grid Autosport and it's graphics can't hold a candle to GT5. Gameplay.

Last edited:
1. PCars is a racing sim. If you want racing, not just driving, PD isn't in the same conversation.

2. If PCars doesn't get wheel support, neither will PD so its a moot point. However, with PCars I at least have a PC option. The total cost of console + wheel vs a new, good quality PC is about the same and the PC is upgradable.
I also don't use a controller so its a non-issue.

3. I'm not under any illusions the game will look as good on PS4 as it does on PC. However, everything will be the same quality, unlike GT which will likely have both standard cars and tracks.

Gameplay first. I love Grid Autosport and it's graphics can't hold a candle to GT5. Gameplay.
1. Correct, it is.

2. it's logical to compare console to console. I simply cannot see playing PCARS with a ds4 controller, and the regular console folk like myself, can't see investing in another $500+ wheel in order to enjoy it. It's my fear.

3. Total quality aside, GT still has more "premium" unique cars. I consider "standards" a bonus, they're there if you want them... or they can't be. Maybe I have low "standards."

4. Grid Autosport is absolutely fantastic.

Why do you expect Project CARS to be horrid with a controller, @Squach240? In my experience, only poor attempts at realistic physics are difficult to manage with a controller. The steering algorithm is the linchpin of it -- as long as the game does a fine job of translating your input into contextually-appropriate steering motions, good physics are intuitive and feel natural.

The last time I tried pCARS with a controller (a few months ago) it was driveable. It was pretty direct translation of inputs to the car, so it was quite jerky unless you were very smooth, but it was very driveable and quite a lot more pleasant to drive than I expected.

I imagine it'll only get better as they actually start tuning the controller inputs towards release. To my knowledge when I tried it they hadn't done much in that area at all. I might see if I can try it again sometime soon.

The last time I tried pCARS with a controller (a few months ago) it was driveable. It was pretty direct translation of inputs to the car, so it was quite jerky unless you were very smooth, but it was very driveable and quite a lot more pleasant to drive than I expected.
They ruined it in the latest updates.

VBR
Good point, I hope they start doing this. One thing that really annoys me about PD's car models is that they don't model the inside of wheels. I can see how this was a clever strategy on the PS1 to conserve polygons & use them in more important areas, but they've become stuck in their ways & doing it on PS3 seems plain lazy imo. If they carry on doing this on the PS4, they'll become more of a laughing stock than they already are!

mazda-raceway-laguna-seca_11-copy-jpg.115339
I think they are already a laughing stock. Standards are coming back into GT7 :confused::rolleyes:.

Could you imagine any other dev doing this?

Back