Project Cars Tuning Database?

• Thread starter Adrenaline
  • 44 comments
United States
California
PumpinNumbies
As we approach the release date of Project Cars, the temptation of maintaining this database keeps crossing my mind. For those unfamiliar with the idea, I created AdrenaTune and/or GT5Tune back in the day for Gran Turismo 5, which can be found here for example: https://sites.google.com/site/gt5tune/
Some may be more familiar with the GT6 version, of which XS created and maintained GT6 Tune Directory (https://sites.google.com/site/gt6tunes/home)

Basically, it's an organized list of tunes that fit any one of the games numerous classifications, From GT500, NASCAR, Seasonal Events and so on. It allowed people who either don't have the time, or don't have the knowledge or experience, to easily locate and apply a tune of someone else's, to their own car, allowing them to maximize their time on the track, rather than in the pits, or struggling with an illhandling car.

What I'm wondering is, with a game as extensive as PCars is expected to be, and with what appears to be an immerse and extensive list of options to tweak and tune, do you feel there will be a high demand for a database in which people create/upload/share their tunes publicly? Is this a service that you would like to see, personally use or recommend? I can tell you, that the way I use to do this for GT5 was an extremely extensive amount of work, and I'll be looking for a different way to implement the tunes this time around, rather than a simple link loop.

I'm quite interested to gauge the public opinion on this matter, prior to dedicating any time into the process. Obviously I can only get so far without getting hands on the game, and being able to see first hand exactly what settings, limits, and adjustments will be available to us in the full game. If this is something you're interested in, I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas, recommendations, good bad or otherwise.

Thanks for reading,
Adrenaline

I really like this idea. Tuning is something that I'm really wanting to learn about more and more and trying new setups on track from baseline is a great way of seeing what the setup can achieve. Thus creating a will to learn and achieving a goal of better lap times or less time in the pits.

Thanks for sharing.
David

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea and I would definitely take advantage of it, but you have to remember, this isn't Gran Turismo with it's 10 million users. There will be much less traffic looking for PCars tunes. On the other hand, from what I gather, sim racers aren't really into setting up garages , at least not from what I've seen, so it remains to be seen how many public tunes there will be and how much data is available. This whole "full sim on console" thing is going to be very interesting from a number of perspectives. I hope at least a couple of the good tuners from GTP make it over to PCars to help us all out:tup:👍

great idea. i was wondering how much a person's individual wheel (if they have one) settings would affect the car tuning set up, and does it need to be taken into account as well? for example, if someone was to set their wheel up at a certain degree of rotation or sensitivity surely this would impact the potential downforce applied or other settings?

so for all you sim guys, how much does wheel set up affect car tuning?

great idea. i was wondering how much a person's individual wheel (if they have one) settings would affect the car tuning set up, and does it need to be taken into account as well? for example, if someone was to set their wheel up at a certain degree of rotation or sensitivity surely this would impact the potential downforce applied or other settings?

so for all you sim guys, how much does wheel set up affect car tuning?

As a general advice: Always set up and calibrate your wheel to the maximum possible steering range. The game will handle the rest for you.
If you do it correctly the ingame wheel will turn exactly the same amount than your wheel (90° = 90°) no matter what wheel you have.

Good idea. Wheel setups could be discussed as well, as it seems there's lots to tinker with there. Maybe on a different thread though?

thanks. are there a lot of other wheel settings? i've seen FFB options but don't know what else you can adjust. i just meant that if someone says they've set up car x with certain settings but run their wheel differently to yours it would be important to mention that in the tuning thread, else the car may not handle as intended. but if wheel settings don't really matter then i'm fussing over nothing

Good idea. Wheel setups could be discussed as well, as it seems there's lots to tinker with there. Maybe on a different thread though?
i just thought they might go hand-in-hand with a person's individual tuning. general wheel settings thread would also be a good idea

I think we'll get a better idea when the game is in our eager, sweaty hands. I do remember reading over at race department that there was a wealth of wheel adjustments - though that may have just been for development.

probably still there. I saw FFB alone had longitudinal & latitudal adjustments which I don't even understand. a bit more in depth than Driveclub's settings lol

From a selfish point of view I'd love to see something like this.

I've tried to learn how to tune on GT but couldn't figure it out.

On GT I used your site for a number of tunes and it certainly helped me enjoy the game more!

On the other side, I appreciate the amount of time and effort it must take to maintain something like this.

Would love something like this. I don't have the time or the advanced knowledge to know how to properly set up a car and any help would be much appreciated.

Just a quick thought, will tunes support cross-platform with even results?

Theorically, physics is the same...
... but we have all experienced differences that should not happen in this area like differences in the same game and same platform between offline and online modes.

So a good tune on PC should work on PS4 or other platforms and vice versa. Will it be as good and not require a bit of adjustments ? it is a different story.

in the same manner, leaderbords on PC, Xbox, PS and U versions may not be strictly comparable.

... but we have all experienced differences that should not happen in this area like differences in the same game and same platform between offline and online modes.

Is that the result/conclusion from first hand multi platform Project Cars experience or an expectation due to other games behaviour? (sincere question)

Since no WMD members have extensive experience with the PS4/XBox One versions, it's safe to assume he's referring to GT.

Hey guys just to let everyone know there will be lots coming out on tuning just like with GT6. :) So to those who have no clue there will be information coming. :)

Hey guys just to let everyone know there will be lots coming out on tuning just like with GT6. :) So to those who have no clue there will be information coming. :)

But unlike GT6, the tuning you do in pcars will give you the expected (and described) results :D

Any examples that you can give? I know if you set everything to high in tuning you will see a difference but you will not be able to race well. I also know if you use different pressures for your tires you can feel a difference. Is this what your talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?tv=UGRS9Dc8vKo
Any examples that you can give? I know if you set everything to high in tuning you will see a difference but you will not be able to race well. I also know if you use different pressures for your tires you can feel a difference. Is this what your talking about?
He's saying tuning in PCars works like it does in real life. In GT it's often the opposite. In real life you lower the front end to get more rake and better rotation. In GT it's the opposite, raising the front end gives you more front end grip and better rotation. Etc.

I started to work on a first tune in pCars (Clio TC). There are some additional parameters compared to GT so as it is the only game where I have a few tuning experience, it is a lot of things to learn.

It requires patience but I find it fun and it is also a good way to understand the game.

Ultimately my Clio is now faster than it was with the default tune so it is already something !

I also encountered some elements where I want differences between qualifiers, short race and long races (because of breaks or tyre temperature impacts). It is very interesting !

Last edited:
I started to work on a first tune in pCars (Clio TC). There are some additional parameters compared to GT so as it is the only game where I have a few tuning experience, it is a lot of things to learn.

It requires patience but I find it fun ad it is also a good way to understand the game.

Ultimately my Clio is now faster than it was with the default tune so it is already something !

I also encountered some elements where I want differences between qualifiers, short race and long races (because of breaks of tyre temperature impacts). It is very interesting !

Oh yes there are so much things you have to think about. I was able to get my R18 TDi up to 5 sec faster on LeMans but I could only do 2-3 laps beause the car broke down due to heating issues. So good for Qualifying, but bad for a Race. That's what I love about this game

Makes me even more likely to leave the car alone :lol: , except for undoing the default settings that were intended to make the cars "friendly" for novices (brake pressure, differential lock, etc.). That's cool, though.

Oh yes there are so much things you have to think about. I was able to get my R18 TDi up to 5 sec faster on LeMans but I could only do 2-3 laps beause the car broke down due to heating issues. So good for Qualifying, but bad for a Race. That's what I love about this game
I'm assuming you can change your qualifying setup,to a race setup?

Did you shatter a rotor or put a hole in a piston? Poor car :(

Back