Project Cars Tuning Guides: Case Studies and part 3f now live!

• Thread starter Willfred_1
  • 104 comments
United Kingdom
somerset, England
Willfred_1
As many people are coming from games with fewer tuning options, its very easy to get lost in the settings. To help here is Part 1 of the guide. The following parts are in progress.
Basic settings.

Advanced Settings

Case studies

As always if you have any questions feel free to ask down below.

Last edited:
@Willfred_1 this is a fantastic effort. Well done.

I would also recommend another useful resource. Although created for SimBin's original GTR game, the tuning and "troubleshooting" information in the GTR Engineers Handbook still very much applies. You can download a PDF copy here

http://www.gamerscockpit.com.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/gtr_engineers_handbook.pdf

If anyone has any trouble getting the guide there let me know and I can attach it here or provide other links.

Also, since the game simulates the real world so well, any real world tuning books such as Carroll Smith's Tune To Win will prove invaluable.

Last edited:
Try now. I updated the link. It's a 30 page PDF, so will be a fair size. Not sure if GTPlanet would allow me to attach it.
Seems like it works.

Attachments

• gtr_engineers_handbook.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 600
I should point out, the screen shots and menus locations mentioned in the guide do NOT apply (obviously) but the definitions of the various settings and what they do, do apply.

Also the section entitled "The Experts Speak" is very valuable. "FIA GT race car drivers Henrik Roos and Christophe Bouchut join SimBin Development Team to share essential sim racing techniques"

As many people are coming from games with fewer tuning options, its very easy to get lost in the settings. To help here is Part 1 of the guide. The following parts are in progress.

As always if you have any questions feel free to ask down below.

Thanks a bunch for taking time out of your day to do this, I'm a noob when it comes to tuning, this was very helpful.. so far.

my friend is desperate to come round when i've got the game and i just know he's going to want to start tuning straight away. i think that's a bad idea. i want to drive all cars and all tracks with the stock setup first, tuning can come later for me. the default setups look pretty good from what i can tell by all the videos

my friend is desperate to come round when i've got the game and i just know he's going to want to start tuning straight away. i think that's a bad idea. i want to drive all cars and all tracks with the stock setup first, tuning can come later for me. the default setups look pretty good from what i can tell by all the videos
They're very easy to drive but may not be the quickest setup.

From what I've read from various sources what @Willfred_1 says is quite true. The stock setups are very safe but not very fast. I suspect most of them are a little too understeery from what I've seen in replays as you rarely see anyone stepping the back end out at entry. I'll drive a few cars and tracks the first day but I already know as soon as I am cornering and saying to myself, "Oh I wish I could get just a little more bite on the front end" or, "The car is a little squirrelly under braking", I"m going to wander into the tuning menus and not surface for days:scared:

Great Videos, Thanks. I´m a GT Fan so my understanding of tuning is only based on the GT seriries. I´m looking forward to more in depth Tuningguides.

First of all, I'm really looking forward to your videos because from now on, I want to set up my car on my own. So you provide a very good opportunity for me to learn all the important stuff. :)
But would you mind speaking more slowly and clearly? It is a little bit hard to understand here and there, at least for some non-native speakers like me. Most of the time, however, it is completely fine. :)

Apart from that, I still have a question about setting up the car in general:
The standard setup in-game is already easy and good to drive. So how do I know what to adjust in order to make the car quicker when it already feels fine?

Interesting video here..... Listen to what Hobbnob, when asked if he has a clutch pedal, says about starting a race in second gear.... Could be a useful little tactic!

First of all, I'm really looking forward to your videos because from now on, I want to set up my car on my own. So you provide a very good opportunity for me to learn all the important stuff. :)
But would you mind speaking more slowly and clearly? It is a little bit hard to understand here and there, at least for some non-native speakers like me. Most of the time, however, it is completely fine. :)

The standard setup in-game is already easy and good to drive. So how do I know what to adjust in order to make the car quicker when it already feels fine?
Thankyou for the feedback i'll tell my friend to speak slower next time.

On the subject of knowing what to adjust its down experience and knowledge. By understanding where your car issue are you can work out what to adjust. In part 3 we will go into that with more detail.

Thankyou for the feedback i'll tell my friend to speak slower next time.

On the subject of knowing what to adjust its down experience and knowledge. By understanding where your car issue are you can work out what to adjust. In part 3 we will go into that with more detail.

Okay, thank you.
I will pay attention in part 3 then. 👍

If the car feels fine, I wouldn't change a thing. But there's always some detail you can change to make the car more stable-more comfortable to drive faster. It all comes with experience. Drive a corner over a limit and you'll see what the car is doing that's making her nervous and hard to play with.

This is my quick and dirty go-to guide. It gets the job done:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terry.cresswell/handling.html

EDIT: Now I just need a diff guide, I never got my head around preload, coast and power settings.

All other settings should be much easier to understand.

Diff settings are actually pretty easy (and very powerful)

High limited slip acceleration lock: better acceleration out of corners but prone to oversteering
Low limited slip acceleration lock: worse acceleration out of corners but car is more stable (easier for beginners)

High limited slip deceleration lock: worse turn in into corners but more tendency to understeering (safer)
Low limited slip deceleration lock: better turn in into corners but prone to oversteering

Limited slip preload: Essentially raises/lowers both diff settings simultaneously and determines how fast the car reacts to load changes

Last edited:
Diff settings are actually pretty easy (and very powerful)

High limited slip acceleration lock: better acceleration out of corners but prone to oversteering
Low limited slip acceleration lock: worse acceleration out of corners but car is more stable (easier for beginners)

High limited slip deceleration lock: worse turn in into corners but more tendency to understeering (safer)
Low limited slip deceleration lock: better turn in into corners but prone to oversteering

Limited slip preload: Essentially raises/lowers both diff settings simultaneously and determines how fast the reacts to load changes
I would simplify the LSD Accel setting to say that this Accel setting determines which wheel breaks traction first under hard acceleration. Low LSD breaks the inside wheel first and is safer but you may lose some acceleration out of the corner and overheat the inside tire. High LSD breaks the outside wheel first and can lead to oversteer and loss of control. Ideally you want to find the point where both wheels break at the same time to maximize control and acceleration.

Back