Project Cars Tuning Guides: Case Studies and part 3f now live!

• Thread starter Willfred_1
  • 104 comments
When I clicked the thread I was hoping to see an actual guide but found video links instead. I really hate video version of these kind of things. Much better to have text that can be skimmed, studied and printed out if need be.

Would be nice to find a text that gives a little detail on what various settings do. That GTR guide is pretty good but would be nice to have something that covers the FFB in detail

When I clicked the thread I was hoping to see an actual guide but found video links instead. I really hate video version of these kind of things. Much better to have text that can be skimmed, studied and printed out if need be.

Would be nice to find a text that gives a little detail on what various settings do. That GTR guide is pretty good but would be nice to have something that covers the FFB in detail
I agree, and @Willfred_1 if you'd like to do a write up like that, I'd be more than willing to feature your guide, as well as your videos on the AdrenaTune page, with full credit to you.
*This offer applies to anyone really.

@HBR-Roadhog
Try this: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...s-Tuning-Guide&p=888280&viewfull=1#post888280

Currently exists from another game, and they say it translates well. I can't confirm that yet, but might help you.

I really enjoy these videos. Thank you @Willfred_1

One thing that sets me of a little bit when watching is that the video images appear to be unrelated to the specifics of the voice over. I.e. talking about suspension ride height and the image shows a quick change of the brake duct.

An additional suggestion from my side would be to display in the video the handling characteristics that you are trying to improve. For instance back end jumping out during turns on a bumpy section. Or car behaviour if the ride height is too low.

I'm really looking forward to the coming advanced tuning videos. And I hope that the above will not be misread as blatant criticism.

Best regards

I agree, and @Willfred_1 if you'd like to do a write up like that, I'd be more than willing to feature your guide, as well as your videos on the AdrenaTune page, with full credit to you.
*This offer applies to anyone really.

@HBR-Roadhog
Try this: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...s-Tuning-Guide&p=888280&viewfull=1#post888280

Currently exists from another game, and they say it translates well. I can't confirm that yet, but might help you.
once the entire set of videos are released we will release our text we used.
I really enjoy these videos. Thank you @Willfred_1

One thing that sets me of a little bit when watching is that the video images appear to be unrelated to the specifics of the voice over. I.e. talking about suspension ride height and the image shows a quick change of the brake duct.

An additional suggestion from my side would be to display in the video the handling characteristics that you are trying to improve. For instance back end jumping out during turns on a bumpy section. Or car behaviour if the ride height is too low.

I'm really looking forward to the coming advanced tuning videos. And I hope that the above will not be misread as blatant criticism.

Best regards
hi i mentioned it somewhere else that during the editing of the video for part 2 my recorder went wrong meaning that the entire footage was useless. So the majority of the videos were out before the release, i had to use footage i had on my hard drive part 3s being made more relevant i think i may have also have found a way to get dev cams as well.

once the entire set of videos are released we will release our text we used.

hi i mentioned it somewhere else that during the editing of the video for part 2 my recorder went wrong meaning that the entire footage was useless. So the majority of the videos were out before the release, i had to use footage i had on my hard drive part 3s being made more relevant i think i may have also have found a way to get dev cams as well.

That sounds great. Fow now I'm returning to the tire pressure video. Just had the Caterham seven classic at donnerton. And with a very low pressure on the rear wheels they got overheated in three laps. On all other circuits I've not been capable of keeping them warn :banghead::banghead:

When is a break overheated? I tryed to figured that out, but have no indicator on screen. Got a trophy for heaten up the breaks over 1000°C ;). Whats a good temperature?

When is a break overheated? I tryed to figured that out, but have no indicator on screen. Got a trophy for heaten up the breaks over 1000°C ;). Whats a good temperature?
It will depend on the car if you look at telemetry hud it will tell you whether or not the brakes are up to temp. blues cold and reds to hot so a green in between should be good

I do not know if this is acceptable. But I must ask
I'm not familiar with all the calibration of the car
Having a front engine car. Weight (X) different data
Rear engine. Mid-engine.
My question is where to find data put in the car and drive
And then make corrections that matches my style
I sit for a week after I finally understood how to titrate the wheel T300rs
But what good is it if I change again and again the wheel and the vehicle is not his proper calibration
I must add that it is very interesting and fun to mess around with the car, but in the end I read more and have a nearly a degree in physics. Fx Fy Mz psi and the list just begun
How do I know how and where to move the (suspension or Weight bias)
And if I touched. camber or Damper I have to change the toe-in. toe-out and not to forget the suspension Differential

What is the right amount for a vehicle. GT3 or Formula 1 (A) or Renault
I understand the point of knowing and search and be familiar with it
But sometimes it's too much that I lost a little
I purchased PS4 & T300RS. Now what that remains to me to play it ....
Finish the degree in physics and vehicle engineer and added aerodynamics or I'm exaggerating
Please if there is "room" for a little help on the components
I do not need to reading material I have read and understand what each part does and change
:-)

@Willfred_1 - any plans to do video about reading and reacting to telemetry data? I definitely can use some help in that area!
as you and few other have asked similar questions we will do some videos of the apps and huds that can help tuning.

I do not know if this is acceptable. But I must ask
I'm not familiar with all the calibration of the car
Having a front engine car. Weight (X) different data
Rear engine. Mid-engine.
My question is where to find data put in the car and drive
And then make corrections that matches my style
I sit for a week after I finally understood how to titrate the wheel T300rs
But what good is it if I change again and again the wheel and the vehicle is not his proper calibration
I must add that it is very interesting and fun to mess around with the car, but in the end I read more and have a nearly a degree in physics. Fx Fy Mz psi and the list just begun
How do I know how and where to move the (suspension or Weight bias)
And if I touched. camber or Damper I have to change the toe-in. toe-out and not to forget the suspension Differential

What is the right amount for a vehicle. GT3 or Formula 1 (A) or Renault
I understand the point of knowing and search and be familiar with it
But sometimes it's too much that I lost a little
I purchased PS4 & T300RS. Now what that remains to me to play it ....
Finish the degree in physics and vehicle engineer and added aerodynamics or I'm exaggerating
Please if there is "room" for a little help on the components
I do not need to reading material I have read and understand what each part does and change
:-)
hi thanks for questions, unfortunately like real life you can scale the setups as tuning very much trial and error. This means that you won't know what's best until you've gone past it. So just keep adjusting till it get worse then go back 1 adjustment.

Lol good
as you and few other have asked similar questions we will do some videos of the apps and huds that can help tuning.

hi thanks for questions, unfortunately like real life you can scale the setups as tuning very much trial and error. This means that you won't know what's best until you've gone past it. So just keep adjusting till it get worse then go back 1 adjustment.

Hi I'm not sure if this is the correct forum. If not please just delete the post :confused:

And the question is what is the 'order' in which you change settings when applying a tune?

Specifically I've been trying to setup the mclaren f1 for the 3 hour event at zolder. And I have the following challenges.
- excessive tire wear on front left tire. Even though the temperature is in the high 90 Celsius area. So I'm guessing this is brake related.
- slightly on-throttle understeer in mid speed corner. (front end pulls 1 m out of the corner exit)
- followed by throttle oversteer once the front resume grip.
- low speed on-throttle oversteer especially from the outer rear tire.
- left rear tire running at low 100 Celsius. (At zolder this must often the outer rear tire)

My preference to handling is a car that slides

While I have watched and read my way around any of these problems individually it seems that when ever I'm addressing one issue it makes another issue more pronounced.
So the question to you guys are in which order do you address the issues you want fixed?

Thanks and regards

Hi I'm not sure if this is the correct forum. If not please just delete the post :confused:

And the question is what is the 'order' in which you change settings when applying a tune?

Specifically I've been trying to setup the mclaren f1 for the 3 hour event at zolder. And I have the following challenges.
- excessive tire wear on front left tire. Even though the temperature is in the high 90 Celsius area. So I'm guessing this is brake related.
- slightly on-throttle understeer in mid speed corner. (front end pulls 1 m out of the corner exit)
- followed by throttle oversteer once the front resume grip.
- low speed on-throttle oversteer especially from the outer rear tire.
- left rear tire running at low 100 Celsius. (At zolder this must often the outer rear tire)

My preference to handling is a car that slides

While I have watched and read my way around any of these problems individually it seems that when ever I'm addressing one issue it makes another issue more pronounced.
So the question to you guys are in which order do you address the issues you want fixed?

Thanks and regards
Well done you've completed the first step ( diagnose the key areas)
The throttle related handling can be sorted by the differential. I would suggest playing with accel and preload setting. Also experiment with the way you take the corner sometimes different corners have to be driven differently.
The excessive wear would suggest to things 1 either too much camber or you're driving the car in a way the puts too much load on the front left.

Solder is really hard on the left side of the car so expect and increase amount of wear on the left side.
Hope this helps. And by all means send me a message or even better a video ideally with the telemetry hud on so I can help diagnose the problem.

Overheating tires are solved with increasing tire pressure and you could stiffen the suspension and ARBs all around, so there's less weight transfer to outer tires, but stiffen the rear a bit more to eliminate understeer and be careful with the throttle. I prefer a bit oversteery car which I can balance with throttle.

Hi guys thanks for the input on the zolder specifics. I managed to get it tweaked so the tires lasted for a full tank if gas. But poor driving got me disqualified after 2 hours :banghead:

And the true question remains unanswered.
How do you select what issue you try to address first when setting up the car?

My priority list seems to be
- tire temp
- sufficient rotation in the corners
- balance in/out of the corner
- top speed

I've not put much consideration into this order. It's just how I've ended up doing it

How do you go about it? And why in that order?

Hi guys thanks for the input on the zolder specifics. I managed to get it tweaked so the tires lasted for a full tank if gas. But poor driving got me disqualified after 2 hours :banghead:

- tire temp
- top speed

I've not put much consideration into this order. It's just how I've ended up doing it

firstly do rotations in corners as this will effect everything else.
then see if driving the car differently will solve the the other issues. If not
then look at balance in out of the corner, again this can affect tyre temp and top speed.
fianlly do top speed as this will be done by gearing and a little bit of aero.

@xeronima - I think it is dependent on the driver, car and track. This isn't GT6 where I asked the same question. (Mainly because of GT6 car set up and tuning description.)

For me, it boils down to handling and top speed. How can I get the car to handle to my preference? Generally, I first test brake bias. One of the last things I test is tire temp. I don't have a systematic check list that I follow from one bullet point to the next. Why? Again, car and track. It helps to know what each tune adjustment impacts, and Willfred's videos are great reference.

- tire temp
- top speed

I usually try to get a handle on any oversteer that might be there as I'm not a big fan; I like to get to the power down early if possible so I'll try to control that, then I'll see if the car is stable under braking and fix that if necessary. everything else afterwards really.

I have a... seemingly dumb, but rather important, question.
These videos, and your explanations of what each adjustment does... Are they your personal opinion, real world fact, or your in-game experience. I'm not claiming that these aren't all synonymous within this game, but I'd just like some clarification. I'm currently going through the tuning menu 1 by 1, making large adjustments and taking notes on what each adjustment did in my hands. Part of this is to create a cheat-sheet for myself, another part is simply to familiarize myself with all of the new tuning adjustments I've never had access to in a game before, and the final part is that I'm probably just gun shy from GT5/6 and things not working 'theoretically' correct.

Regardless, good job thus far.

I have a... seemingly dumb, but rather important, question.
These videos, and your explanations of what each adjustment does... Are they your personal opinion, real world fact, or your in-game experience. I'm not claiming that these aren't all synonymous within this game, but I'd just like some clarification. I'm currently going through the tuning menu 1 by 1, making large adjustments and taking notes on what each adjustment did in my hands. Part of this is to create a cheat-sheet for myself, another part is simply to familiarize myself with all of the new tuning adjustments I've never had access to in a game before, and the final part is that I'm probably just gun shy from GT5/6 and things not working 'theoretically' correct.

Regardless, good job thus far.
Everything is real world fact all the information has been obtained from when i did my motorsport engineering degree and my friend(the voice)did his automotive engineering and design B-eng degree. However as the game is a sim the adjustments you make reflect the change you would see in real life. I verified this using a couple of setup sheets i had from my work experience for the radicals. They handled as the driver described so handling wise its spot on.

on another note here's part 3D

Whoa, I came here for a couple of tips and ended up with the Open University of tuning. 1000 thanks @Willfred_1, may you become a YouTube superstar for this herculean effort 👍👍

I have found some differing results with regards to video 2A and the relationship between Tire Temps and Tire Pressure.

The video clearly states a direct relationship between increased Tire Pressure equals increased Tire Temps and vice versa. I've never found this to be true in any situation, circumstance or car I have experienced within this game.
Having completed the Clio Cup, Ginetta G40 series and beginning the Formula Gulf, my in-game experience is exactly opposite of what is stated in video 2A at 1:15.

Can anyone demonstrate where the video is correct and my testing is incorrect? I've simply not been able to replicate more pressure = higher temps OR less pressure = lower temp.

@Willfred_1

Can anyone demonstrate where the video is correct and my testing is incorrect? I've simply not been able to replicate more pressure = higher temps OR less pressure = lower temp.

@Willfred_1

From what I've found other places and what I can observe the relationship between initial tire preassure and heat build up in the tire is opposite of the explanation given in the video. And there's a relationship between temperature of the tire and pressure so when the temperature is increasing so does the tire preassure.

Thus my surprise in the Caterham where I could not get any heat into the tires regardless of how much I raised the preassure :D

Back