Project Cars Tuning Guides: Case Studies and part 3f now live!

• Thread starter Willfred_1
  • 104 comments
I have found some differing results with regards to video 2A and the relationship between Tire Temps and Tire Pressure.

The video clearly states a direct relationship between increased Tire Pressure equals increased Tire Temps and vice versa. I've never found this to be true in any situation, circumstance or car I have experienced within this game.
Having completed the Clio Cup, Ginetta G40 series and beginning the Formula Gulf, my in-game experience is exactly opposite of what is stated in video 2A at 1:15.

Can anyone demonstrate where the video is correct and my testing is incorrect? I've simply not been able to replicate more pressure = higher temps OR less pressure = lower temp.

@Willfred_1

From what I've found other places and what I can observe the relationship between initial tire preassure and heat build up in the tire is opposite of the explanation given in the video. And there's a relationship between temperature of the tire and pressure so when the temperature is increasing so does the tire preassure.

Thus my surprise in the Caterham where I could not get any heat into the tires regardless of how much I raised the preassure :D
Thankyou for that it seems we missed that when checking through the scripts so we will amend later today

Thankyou for that it seems we missed that when checking through the scripts so we will amend later today
I'm not saying what you stated is definitively wrong because after more reading and research, Pressure and Temps have a very, very unique relationship. I just cannot find it to be definitively correct either.

The more I tune in this game, the more I learn and the less I know. In some ways I miss the simple and dumbed down Gran Turismo tuning...ha.

I'm not saying what you stated is definitively wrong because after more reading and research, Pressure and Temps have a very, very unique relationship. I just cannot find it to be definitively correct either.

The more I tune in this game, the more I learn and the less I know. In some ways I miss the simple and dumbed down Gran Turismo tuning...ha.
will stick an annotation up as the relationship between pressure and temp will change based on the context.
for instance by increasing the pressure and reducing grip the larger amount of slip can generate heat. however lowering the pressure to increase the contact patches also increases temp.

@Willfred_1 Do you notice anything regarding camber and increasing straight line speed when you tune?
in the few cars i've properly tuned, i've noticed a little difference but its more down to the initial acceleration out of the corner rather than the camber on the wheel.

in the few cars i've properly tuned, i've noticed a little difference but its more down to the initial acceleration out of the corner rather than the camber on the wheel.
I'm getting 2-3 mph increases in top speeds with lower camber. I assumed having more contact patch would increase straight line drag from the extra friction. It's a steady 2-3 mph on each track. Spa and Silverstone for example, the straights are after high speed corners, so I thought more camber would help there since there's more body roll in the higher speed corners. Is there anything I'm looking at the wrong way? I've never heard anyone talk about camber having that big of an affect on straight line speed.

Hello Willfred,

Thanks for these informative videos! For your Dampers Video Part 3B, how did you go about getting the camera view that looks back at the Car from just ahead of it? :dunce: Thanks in advance for your reply!

Hello Willfred,

Thanks for these informative videos! For your Dampers Video Part 3B, how did you go about getting the camera view that looks back at the Car from just ahead of it? :dunce: Thanks in advance for your reply!
Its a command Line you input in the steam launch options. It allows for the free cam round the car and the dev cameras.

@Willfred_1 thanks for the work :cheers: it's really great stuff.
In the rookie video your are referring to the telemetry. Any chance that you'll cover the telemetry screen in some details?
Throttle, brake and steering input is clear. Same applies for the applied force and temperature pr wheel. For me it becomes a bit more unclear how to read the black/yellow lines center around the wheels. I've drawn the conclusion that these are force vectors indicating directional force and strengt. The number below the wheels I've decided to be the slip angle. Even if I can't figure out what 110 or more would mean. Also the damper movement have some details I do not quite understand. Sometimes the top will turn red which I interpretate as the springs ate bottoming out. And I seem to recall seeing this even though the white arrow isn't at the top of the damper / spring scale.so I'm left rather insecure as to the validity of my conclusions.

So if you'll be covering this at some part I for one will be a happy camper :bowdown:

Best regards
X

It may have done in Shift2 where the telemetry originated. But with Pcars having a new tyre model the number has no meaning.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30701-telemetry&p=981822&viewfull=1#post981822
I said: According with a physics & AI member from PCars forum

I didn't said that it was from Ian.
Again, I just retained that info I read because it came from a Physics & AI WMD member… whatever.

Keep digging, it's there. I'm not going to bookmark every info about pCars to prove my statments.

Think for a sencond, they claim they have the best tire model for a game, but than they place a meaningless number on its telemetry just beacause it is "fancy"?

I said: According with a physics & AI member from PCars forum

I didn't said that it was from Ian.
Again, I just retained that info I read because it came from a Physics & AI WMD member… whatever.

Keep digging, it's there. I'm not going to bookmark every info about pCars to prove my statments.

Think for a sencond, they claim they have the best tire model for a game, but than they place a meaningless number on its telemetry just beacause it is "fancy"?

I'm presuming 'Casey' in the quoted text is Casey Ringley, Vehicle Lead for SMS. He's the one attributed to saying the number has no function.

After the last update, I don't think I'll spend too much time trying to figure out why they claim one thing when the evidence while playing the game is the opposite - Thrustmaster centre spring.

Back