Project Cars vs. Forza 6 - Poll added September 18th

For those that have both (F6 full game, not the demo pls), which do you prefer?

• Forza 6

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Project Cars

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • On the fence, both are equally good in their own way.

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Don't like either one.

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
I will probably never play Forza 6 so I'm curious to know what XBone players who have both games size the two up? Any thoughts on things that are comparable like FFB, physics, graphics, sounds etc? After playing Project Cars for a few months do you find the return of locked events and locked cars a welcome change? Or has the sandbox aspect of PCars having all cars available to drive and race at all times spoiled you?

EDIT September 18th. A very civilized discussion and productive discussion so far. Well done GTP'ers and keep up the good work:cheers: Poll added.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the inevitable side-by-side videos. From what I've seen so far, Forza 6 looks great, undoubtedly more solid than pCARS on Xbox with a locked 60fps. If it was me, I'd find it hard to go back to the short races, have no FOV customisation, I'm assuming less FFB and not quite so good physics. Still looks good though.

I'm getting to try FM6 full on today, having bought the Ultimate edition. Tbh I don't think any kind of comparison will have much in the way of validity

The two games are poles apart imo. FM6 has a huge car roster, all of which can be upgraded, painted and liveried to your hearts content. The actual racing (offline at least) won't measure up to the pCARS experience though

Different strokes for different folks I think. There will be some who can't get along with one of them because its so far apart from the other

Myself, I consider them both to be worthy of being in my collection because I can appreciate what each one brings to the table

I'll be very interested to see plenty of other opinions on the subject 👍

Overall I think the physics and force feedback are improved, as FM5 was unplayable with a wheel for me. Although the physics aren't quite on the level of Project CARS or Asseto Corsa, they are still quite good. The cars felt natural and did things cars should do(unlike FM5 where you can spin out going 30). I do wish it would have dynamic weather, but what they have right now is definitely a step in the right direction.

If only FM6 had better AI and longer race options, I'd consider getting it, because overall it does provide a nice package and looks pretty. However, I didn't really enjoy FM5 because of those two issues, and the demo did nothing to convince me that it improved, so I'm going to skip it and use pCARS for racing.

I'm getting to try FM6 full on today, having bought the Ultimate edition. Tbh I don't think any kind of comparison will have much in the way of validity

The two games are poles apart imo. FM6 has a huge car roster, all of which can be upgraded, painted and liveried to your hearts content. The actual racing (offline at least) won't measure up to the pCARS experience though

Different strokes for different folks I think. There will be some who can't get along with one of them because its so far apart from the other

Myself, I consider them both to be worthy of being in my collection because I can appreciate what each one brings to the table

I'll be very interested to see plenty of other opinions on the subject 👍
You can compare the two games quite well using the portions of the game that are comparable. You can't compare game economies or customization for example for obvious reasons but you can compare AI, physics, controller use, FFB etc. My feeling is that FM6 is going to stand up pretty well to Project Cars but I really want to hear what those with some experience with both games have to say.

I'm glad you made this thread Johnny. I wanted to make the same thread a few days ago but didn't want it to come across as an opportunity for a PS4 v XBOX flame war.

There's no doubting Forza 6 LOOKS fantastic, I even considered buying an Xbone but I don't have the space for another wheel/wheelstand. I also reminded myself not to get mesmerised by the awesome car list.

I am genuinely interested in the comparison in physics between Forza 6 and pCARS. I'd also like to hear about championship structure, user interface, online options, sense of realism.

Thanks

If only FM6 had better AI and longer race options, I'd consider getting it, because overall it does provide a nice package and looks pretty. However, I didn't really enjoy FM5 because of those two issues, and the demo did nothing to convince me that it improved, so I'm going to skip it and use pCARS for racing.

Endurance races are back, as well as longer races in general with a lot of the Showcase events.

The AI have also improved, though there are a few glitches: last night on the stream, I ran into an F40 or F50 that could not navigate the first turn at Laguna Seca, hitting the newly-installed anti-cutting tire barriers and jamming up the entire grid. That was in Free Play on Pro Drivatar difficulty though: I've yet to see it happen in career mode, nor have I seen it on Unbeatable AI.

Endurance races are back, as well as longer races in general with a lot of the Showcase events.

The AI have also improved, though there are a few glitches: last night on the stream, I ran into an F40 or F50 that could not navigate the first turn at Laguna Seca, hitting the newly-installed anti-cutting tire barriers and jamming up the entire grid. That was in Free Play on Pro Drivatar difficulty though: I've yet to see it happen in career mode, nor have I seen it on Unbeatable AI.
So the longer races are available only in Endurance? Can you customize the race length at all? Or most events in career are still 2-3 laps long with you starting in the middle or end of the pack? Is there qualifying/practice before race or is that an option? If that stuff was possible I'd really consider picking it up. Thanks!

So the longer races are available only in Endurance? Can you customize the race length at all? Or most events in career are still 2-3 laps long with you starting in the middle or end of the pack? Is there qualifying/practice before race or is that an option? If that stuff was possible I'd really consider picking it up. Thanks!

Longer races are only available in Endurance and other Showcase events in Career, but you can make races as long as you'd like in either Free Run or Online mode, the latter of which allows you to set up Private Lobbies to enforce whatever rules you like (and then populate with Drivatars, if you'd like). It gets pretty in-depth too; you can limit car selection not just on drive type or class, but cylinder count, aspiration, displacement, years, things like that. You can also force off certain aids in the whole room, as well as limit certain views. There's also multi-class racing, though I haven't checked how many can be on track at once.

Most career races are between 10-20 minutes long, I'm finding. In each volume, the first series is quickest, and they get slightly longer each series up.

There is a pre-race practice option now, but no qualifying as far as I can see.

Hope that helps!

I'm waiting for the inevitable side-by-side videos. From what I've seen so far, Forza 6 looks great, undoubtedly more solid than pCARS on Xbox with a locked 60fps. If it was me, I'd find it hard to go back to the short races, have no FOV customisation, I'm assuming less FFB and not quite so good physics. Still looks good though.
Yeah watching the ISR vids and they are forced to run 2 and 3 laps race. :banghead: That's just not for me anymore after buying a cockpit and wheel...It was even soul destroying in F5 with a pad.

Surely if Leagues go to plan, then that'll give you the career style gameplay of PCars against fellow human opponents. It's what I'm hoping for as Forza's 'career' mode has always been a means to an end.

As for physics, the two games don't feel hugely different to each other on pad, with PCars at 3.0 and with the Xbox control issue long since sorted.

Hear hear.

It's probably like winning a gold medal at the special Olympics.

Is Forza camber more or less broken than pcars (and/or GT6)?
I'm unlikely to ever find out myself. Do Forza games have strange bugs and glitches too? Haven't played any since 4.

It's a pretty difficult comparison to make as they are two completely different games. FM6 is obviously the prettier, more consistent, smoother game graphically and has a much better choice of vehicles. It's also more of a 'game' so has much better pick up and play value. It's a huge improvement over FM5, with more cars, tracks and just general stuff to do. The AI is much improved and control with a wheel is a big improvement. There is only one MP League available at the moment and that just dumps you in a 4 or 5 lap race around random tracks in a certain car class. There's no quail or practice.

And that is where PCars surges ahead for me, in the actual racing. I think T10 on a fundamental level don't understand motor racing. For example, and i haven't confirmed this myself it comes from someone I have raced regularly with over the past 5 years so have no reason to disbelieve him, the lobby options for ordering the grid are random or PI. So anyone running their own league can't simulate quail as we did in the past by setting grid ordering to points. Practice does make a welcome return in single player but I wan't to see proper race weekends. The simulation of a motor racing event in PCars is fantastic and in my opinion the handling and ffb with a wheel are significantly better than in FM6.

So to sum up I'd say PCars is a pure motor racing game and FM6 is a car lovers game, where you can own, tinker with and customise a phenomenal number of different vehicles to your hearts content and then you go out and race your creations in fun, short, sharp bursts.

Two completely different games done really well that any racing game fan should have in their collection.

^ On point. I was worried when I heard about the Forza online leagues because in theory, that is a brilliant feature. But since you dont even have the most basic tools to organize a meaningful league, they dropped the ball regarding competitive racing big time, again. How they can release a realistic racing game in the year 2015 without at least the option of having a qualifying session is well beyond me.

Now it's sorted, I can definitely see the need to own PCars. If it can sort out its photomode, I can imagine I'll spend more time with it.

How they can release a realistic racing game in the year 2015 without at least the option of having a qualifying session is well beyond me.

Likewise, how could SMS release a realistic racing game without basic no-brainer multiplayer options is beyond me. No option for host to kick player, no auto block for players on your PSN Block list, no text chat option, no room names, no tuning restrictions, etc...

I don't think one game/sim is ever going to tick all boxes for the all of players. With WMD onboard though, I assumed P CARS would. How wrong was I.

I've tried Forza 4 on Xbox 360 several times now, & with different wheels, & have to say that I really dislike it. So I'll be sticking with P CARS on PS4 until GT7 comes out, either that or going back to GT6 (still can't bring myself to hear those engine sounds again though, LOL). "The horror..."

VBR
Likewise, how could SMS release a realistic racing game without basic no-brainer multiplayer options is beyond me. No option for host to kick player, no auto block for players on your PSN Block list, no text chat option, no room names, no tuning restrictions, etc...

I don't think one game/sim is ever going to tick all boxes for the all of players. With WMD onboard though, I assumed P CARS would. How wrong was I.

I've tried Forza 4 on Xbox 360 several times now, & with different wheels, & have to say that I really dislike it. So I'll be sticking with P CARS on PS4 until GT7 comes out, either that or going back to GT6 (still can't bring myself to hear those engine sounds again though, LOL). "The horror..."
It's still early and they are still diligently working on the game, so I'm hopeful they can sort out the online stuff at SMS in the next few months and get it all polished up for PCars2. I agree though, MP is a huge disappointment so far. I can almost guarantee they'll introduce qualifying into Forza MP in the next couple of months, gut feeling of course.

VBR

Don't forget we will have a second change with Assetto Corsa in 2016 , if they miss the ball we are funkt but I hope Assetto Corsa
has seen what Protest Cars has done with there consumers , lying,betrayed and a game full of bugs for many people .

I have almost caved in to buying a Xbox one for Forza a few times. I too, am very curious on what the differences and comparables are.

A lot of people have said they cant go back to the more 'sim-cade' racers like Forza & GT after Pcars - and i agree. The physics,immersion,dynamic weather etc. of it has taken racing games to another level.

The mods in Forza is a pure gimmick,and doesnt interest me at all...give me longer championships with practice,qualy anytime.

It's a pretty interesting movement we're witnessing. 'Hardcore' sims like AC and pCARS are chipping a way (a bit) at Forza and GT player bases, but I don't think the majority will make the move. Just like the majority of CoD/BF players is not going to leave their favorite franchise and go to something like ARMA. Hardcore will remain a niche IMO. It will be interesting to see how much wil rub off from either side onto the other to appeal to both casual and hardcore...

I think what Forza has is the pick up and play factor and that will appeal to the more casual racer .
What it missed out on though is an authentic feel to a race weekend and for me this is what Pcars does right with all sessions you'd expect to see in a real life Motorsport event .
Static weather I think is poor , I love racing along and noticing the clouds rolling in and thinking I may be pitting soon it adds to the immersion .
2-3 lap races with random grid positions no thanks , I've bought Forza before and I'll be skipping it this time .
It does look real nice but it shouldn't be called Forza Motorsport , just Forza !

A lot of people have said they cant go back to the more 'sim-cade' racers like Forza & GT after Pcars - and i agree. The physics,immersion,dynamic weather etc. of it has taken racing games to another level.

The mods in Forza is a pure gimmick,and doesnt interest me at all...give me longer championships with practice,qualy anytime.

this is spot on!!

I love racing games, i will buy everyone of them, but after Project cars every other game just feels arcade like,...

Whilst the race set-ups in single player might be casual, the actual racing cars in game is just as broad a selection as PCars.

I don't think you can write Forza off as being casual in its physics, either. PCars and FM6 feel very similar on pad now the Xbox version is all sorted.

Back