Project CARS vs real life cars performance

• Thread starter dyr_gl
  • 36 comments
Spain
Spain
dyr_gl
It is often said Project CARS has too much grip, the cars are too fast, etc... but we rarely go into detail.

Comparing leaderboards and pole position times from real racing series isn´t enough since we can do a lot of stuff real drivers can not (like closing the cooling, or creating a one-lap setup in series with parc fermé rules).

The idea of this thread is simple: trying to create a set of conditions as close to a real qualifying session as possible, drive in these conditions, and only then draw accurate comparisons.

I went ahead and made my first atempt with the most popular motorsport series in the planet. Who doesn´t know the rules of F1? I went ahead and compared the Formula A vs 2011 Formula 1 around Nurburgring GP layout. This is the result:

All the conditions and limitations of this experiment are explained in the description of the video. There are also links to check leaderboard times and real qualifying results. To make life easier for mobile users, it is copied here:

How accurate the performance of each car is on Project CARS? Is the performance of each vehicle close to the one of its real life counterpart? Let´s try to answer this question! Expand me after watching.

I bet you´ve seen all these "Project CARS vs Real life" videos where someone manufactures a lap to be as close as possible to the real thing, and then show it side by side.

What I´ll do here is the opposite, set a fair set of conditions and try to go as far ahead of real life as my driving allows me.

TEST SETTINGS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEATHER AND TIME:

- Free practice mode
- Overcast, July 24th, 2PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETUP LIMITATIONS:

- The car must have enough fuel to come back to the pits after the hotlap.
- Engine and brake cooling must be suitable for a race (default, no TT exploits).
- Gearing was as close to the real car as I could get it. These cars could use DRS anytime in qualifying, but not in the race, so they had to make a compromise.
- Tyre pressures must be suitable for long runs (almost at default levels, no TT exploits).
- The rest of the setup was open, although I raised the car 5 mm from minimum front ride height as it needs to run smoothly with 100 extra kilos onboard.

FORMAT LIMITATIONS

- Maximum respect for track limits, I won´t use any area the real cars can´t use. In this track, I´ll avoid the area inside of turn 3, use limited runoff exiting turn 4 (they put a curb there IRL) and avoid running too much over the high curbs at the last chicane, which are far easier to abuse than the real ones.
- The hotlap must come in a 1 lap run.
- The hotlap must come right after an outlap.
- 6 hotlap attempts were made after 40 minutes of low fuel driving

CONCLUSSIONS:

This went much better than I expected. 6 tenths is a reasonable gap, when I selected this car I feared the worst and expected it to destroy the real car, and it hasn´t been the case, at least at this track!

Having said that, the car IS too fast. Most of the advantage this time seems to come from slow corners.

LINKS:

- Full qualifying results:
http://www.statsf1.com/en/2011/allemagne/qualification.aspx

- Pole position lap:

Leaderboards for this track:
http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=3348999902&vehicle=1909945073

Pretty cool idea. I've never paid much attention to the issue with comparisons to real life...as real life features sooooo many more aspects which are rarely considered in a video game (one of the most important ones is fear...).

Look forward to seeing more of these in the more interesting cars.

Pretty cool idea. I've never paid much attention to the issue with comparisons to real life...as real life features sooooo many more aspects which are rarely considered in a video game (one of the most important ones is fear...).

Look forward to seeing more of these in the more interesting cars.

That´s an interesting point! I don´t think drivers have "fear" in the sense of being afraid for their security as they drive anymore. In the middle of a qualifying lap these days your biggest concern is probably ruining the lap and getting a **** result. 30 years ago it was probably a very different story...

Motorsport was, is, and always will be dangerous, but circuit racing days days doesn´t look particulary intimidating. I bet a cyclist is far more limited by fear than a circuit racing driver.

By the way, if anyone thinks of a car & track combo that have easy references to find on the internet (a pole lap), I´m looking forward to make more of these. Formula 1 footage is VERY easy to find and the rules are universally known, but it gets harder down the ladder. So any pointers about what to do next are welcome!

It is often said Project CARS has too much grip, the cars are too fast, etc... but we rarely go into detail.

Comparing leaderboards and pole position times from real racing series isn´t enough since we can do a lot of stuff real drivers can not (like closing the cooling, or creating a one-lap setup in series with parc fermé rules).

The idea of this thread is simple: trying to create a set of conditions as close to a real qualifying session as possible, drive in these conditions, and only then draw accurate comparisons.

I went ahead and made my first atempt with the most popular motorsport series in the planet. Who doesn´t know the rules of F1? I went ahead and compared the Formula A vs 2011 Formula 1 around Nurburgring GP layout. This is the result:

All the conditions and limitations of this experiment are explained in the description of the video. There are also links to check leaderboard times and real qualifying results. To make life easier for mobile users, it is copied here:

How accurate the performance of each car is on Project CARS? Is the performance of each vehicle close to the one of its real life counterpart? Let´s try to answer this question! Expand me after watching.

I bet you´ve seen all these "Project CARS vs Real life" videos where someone manufactures a lap to be as close as possible to the real thing, and then show it side by side.

What I´ll do here is the opposite, set a fair set of conditions and try to go as far ahead of real life as my driving allows me.

TEST SETTINGS

WEATHER AND TIME:

- Free practice mode
- Overcast, July 24th, 2PM

SETUP LIMITATIONS:

- The car must have enough fuel to come back to the pits after the hotlap.
- Engine and brake cooling must be suitable for a race (default, no TT exploits).
- Gearing was as close to the real car as I could get it. These cars could use DRS anytime in qualifying, but not in the race, so they had to make a compromise.
- Tyre pressures must be suitable for long runs (almost at default levels, no TT exploits).
- The rest of the setup was open, although I raised the car 5 mm from minimum front ride height as it needs to run smoothly with 100 extra kilos onboard.

FORMAT LIMITATIONS

- Maximum respect for track limits, I won´t use any area the real cars can´t use. In this track, I´ll avoid the area inside of turn 3, use limited runoff exiting turn 4 (they put a curb there IRL) and avoid running too much over the high curbs at the last chicane, which are far easier to abuse than the real ones.
- The hotlap must come in a 1 lap run.
- The hotlap must come right after an outlap.
- 6 hotlap attempts were made after 40 minutes of low fuel driving

CONCLUSSIONS:

This went much better than I expected. 6 tenths is a reasonable gap, when I selected this car I feared the worst and expected it to destroy the real car, and it hasn´t been the case, at least at this track!

Having said that, the car IS too fast. Most of the advantage this time seems to come from slow corners.

LINKS:

- Full qualifying results:
http://www.statsf1.com/en/2011/allemagne/qualification.aspx

- Pole position lap:

Leaderboards for this track:
http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=3348999902&vehicle=1909945073

Nice idea, really enjoyed the video and am happy to see the times are so close, you are a good driver!
It looks like the FG Ford Falcon V8 Supercar is coming out this month, if it is released perhaps a comparison with real life around Bathurst? I think you will find the falcon will be quite a handful.

Nice idea, really enjoyed the video and am happy to see the times are so close, you are a good driver!
It looks like the FG Ford Falcon V8 Supercar is coming out this month, if it is released perhaps a comparison with real life around Bathurst? I think you will find the falcon will be quite a handful.

I was surprised the times came sort of close, I expected the Formula A to butcher the Formula 1 after seeing some of the laptimes in the leaderboards for other tracks...

Good one with the V8 Supercars. Hope it is the free car! Once it´s out I´ll ask for advice on what to replicate to get a representative quali session, I have no clue how the real series works...

What about the LMPs from Audi or Toyota at Le Mans? Shouldn't be hard to find footage and reference for this combo either.

That´s a good idea! I would prefer Spa, as the track is a bit less boring and they also race there in the WEC!

That´s an interesting point! I don´t think drivers have "fear" in the sense of being afraid for their security as they drive anymore. In the middle of a qualifying lap these days your biggest concern is probably ruining the lap and getting a **** result. 30 years ago it was probably a very different story...

Motorsport was, is, and always will be dangerous, but circuit racing days days doesn´t look particulary intimidating. I bet a cyclist is far more limited by fear than a circuit racing driver.

By the way, if anyone thinks of a car & track combo that have easy references to find on the internet (a pole lap), I´m looking forward to make more of these. Formula 1 footage is VERY easy to find and the rules are universally known, but it gets harder down the ladder. So any pointers about what to do next are welcome!

Perhaps this is something ...the Pagani Zonda R at nurburgring real laptime 6:47... .
http://tube.reck.dk/video/pagani-zonda-r-nurburgring-fastest-lap-2015-ncr-tv-hd-391.html
http://tube.reck.dk/video/pagani-zonda-r-nurburgring-fastest-lap-2015-ncr-tv-hd-391.html

At WMD leaderboards they can do 6:15 with the car so .....way to fast :rolleyes:

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=697498609&vehicle=2228078825

Last edited:
Good video. The F1 seems to catch you on the straights but the FA is quicker on the exit.

Would be interesting to video you driving it and compare the amount of input your feeding the wheel compared to Mark.W driving the F1.

Good video. The F1 seems to catch you on the straights but the FA is quicker on the exit.

Would be interesting to video you driving it and compare the amount of input your feeding the wheel compared to Mark.W driving the F1.

Before the side by side footage, you can see the actual lap being driven in real time from the cockpit cam, with the correct steering ratio.

Then I recorded a replay with a different camera for the side by side footage, and as you know, PCARS always shows the wrong steering ratio in replays.

So if you are interested in seeing the actual driving, it´s right before the side by side footage.

I'd imagine the majority of road cars are capable of much faster times than real-life, simply based on the game physics and the lack of fear of the computer driver. Also, I don't know how good the road tires are in comparison to real life road tires.

It´s all the car and tyres (both licensed!) lacking accuracy, in other words, the physics being crap. The real car was driven by a pro, and supervised by McLaren crew trying to get their car lapping faster than a Porsche 918 Spider. It won´t go much faster than that!

The same car, on the same tyres, on the same track can´t go 4 seconds faster with Mr.Nobody behind the wheel.

It´s all the car and tyres (both licensed!) lacking accuracy, in other words, the physics being crap. The real car was driven by a pro, and supervised by McLaren crew trying to get their car lapping faster than a Porsche 918 Spider. It won´t go much faster than that!

The same car, on the same tyres, on the same track can´t go 4 seconds faster with Mr.Nobody behind the wheel.
Or maybe, as the track isn't laser-scanned, it's missing a metre here or there, a foot down the straight, a yard round a turn, the camber down the corkscrew a couple of degrees different... I have no idea lol. But it could be this, couldn't it?

(Not that I'm saying it's not the physics)

By the way, if anyone thinks of a car & track combo that have easy references to find on the internet (a pole lap), I´m looking forward to make more of these!

I saw a two minute flat lap of Bathurst by the McLaren GT3 car at the LiquiMolly 24 (I think 24 hr) race in 2015. This was during the race in traffic. Everyone covering the race seemed to think that was a otherworldly lap even in qualifying. If 2 minutes round Bathhurst is indeed a outstanding time, I'd like to see you attempt it mate. I'm very fond of GT racing. Especially GT3. :cheers:
Wouldn't mind seeing a tune for the McLaren at Bathhurst 👍

Another interesting laptime comparison I've found for the Pagani Huayra is at Monza for Project cars , FM6 and Assetto Corsa .

Assetto Corsa : Car : Pagani Huayra : track : Monza : laptime ...... 1:55.314 .

FM6............: Car : Pagani Huayra : Track : Monza :laptime ......... 1:57.900 .

Project Cars : Car : Pagani Huayra : track : Monza : Laptime ....... 1:46.876 .

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=4241994684&vehicle=2232288208

The Pagani Huayra in Project Cars is 9 second faster than in Assetto Corsa and 11 second in FM6 ........ :crazy:

Last edited:
I saw a two minute flat lap of Bathurst by the McLaren GT3 car at the LiquiMolly 24 (I think 24 hr) race in 2015. This was during the race in traffic. Everyone covering the race seemed to think that was a otherworldly lap even in qualifying. If 2 minutes round Bathhurst is indeed a outstanding time, I'd like to see you attempt it mate. I'm very fond of GT racing. Especially GT3. :cheers:
Wouldn't mind seeing a tune for the McLaren at Bathhurst 👍
I'm sure I've been close to 2 mins in that car... but now I can't quite remember. I have a massive problem with this game not saving per car/per track times and even console TT times are kinda pointless. Anyway, will take it out for a spin later if I can. Wonder what the leaderboards say?

I'm sure I've been close to 2 mins in that car... but now I can't quite remember. I have a massive problem with this game not saving per car/per track times and even console TT times are kinda pointless. Anyway, will take it out for a spin later if I can. Wonder what the leaderboards say?

I'll have to check that out mate. I don't recall seeing that car/track combination listed. I would suspect it is.
Also, does the PC leaderboard differ from the PS4 leaderboard?:confused:

By the way, if anyone thinks of a car & track combo that have easy references to find on the internet (a pole lap), I´m looking forward to make more of these.

Here is a reference for you follow with the Audi R8 GT3 Car. The qualifying lap is there too.👍
I must have miss spoken about the McLaren. Maybe it was the 2014 LiquiMolly 12 hr.
I'll keep looking.

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/fastest-ever-bathurst-lap/

Last edited:
I'll have to check that out mate. I don't recall seeing that car/track combination listed. I would suspect it is.
Also, does the PC leaderboard differ from the PS4 leaderboard?:confused:
We can't break a track down to specific cars, just has the fastest time so, for example, if I set a time at a track in the Formula A and then do it again in the FB it'll only log my FA time as it would be the fastest. Quite annoying. It's dumb how we can't see times from any car we want so it's pointless to use mostly anything other than the fastest cars per class.

Last edited:
I think in real life apart of certain "fear" of the driver in a track,there ara also more diferents external factors going on..wind,external temperature, track temperature, humidity, track above sea level hight...

IT must be really hard to get all this little details in a simulation game apart the car and tyres physics.. It's almost impossible replicate all the real world factors in a game..

Maybe in a future.

The Ginetta GT4 is uncommonly good in its class, so I fully suspected you'd be a good bit ahead in the comparison. That's about what I expected when I started the video.

The Ginetta GT4 is uncommonly good in its class, so I fully suspected you'd be a good bit ahead in the comparison. That's about what I expected when I started the video.

I´m actually OK with the car being the fastest in the class (in twisty tracks at least, in Monza or Spa it´s a different story) because that is what should happen. The problem comes, again, when you compare it to the real car.

Think about it for a second, the Ford Mustang is around 1 second slower than the Ginetta around Donington National layout. That means Project CARS Ford Mustang Boss is FASTER than real life Ginetta GT4 -which is a superior car- around the same track:crazy:

I concur..even though GT4 is my favourite class in the game, I do think all of the cars handle a bit too good for what they are.

I concur..even though GT4 is my favourite class in the game, I do think all of the cars handle a bit too good for what they are.

I love these things too, they are far more entertaining to drive than GT3 cars if you ask me, even if they´re far more popular.

Back