Project Cars - Which Platform & Wheel to Buy?

Which platform do you recommend?

• PC

Votes: 29 38.7%
  • PS4

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • XBox

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
United States
Dearborn, MI
MotorCtyHamilton
Many of you will know that I have been very active in the GT6 tuning forum. I need to make a few decisions for my racing game future and am looking for some advice. I need to upgrade from the PS3 and will likely upgrade my wheel at the same time, after my SCCA racing season, in October. So if you could start from scratch and had the means to buy what you wanted, which route would you go.

PS4 - would allow for me to play Project Cars now, Assetto Corsa in 2016 and GT7 when PD gets around to finishing it.

XBox - would allow for me to play Project Cars now, Forza 6 in the fall and Assetto Corsa in 2016.

PC - would limit me to Project Cars, Assetto Corsa and iRacing. Would I miss playing GT7 and Forza? Is there a big enough community of PC gamers to easily find racing rooms? Is Project cars the new standard? I have lots of questions.

Wheel options - I love everything that I have read about the Clubsport 2 wheels and pedals, except for the price. What other wheels come close on performance?

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

I would recommend the PC with a T300 wheel and CSR Elite or Clubsport pedals. I have experience with multiple Logitech wheels, the Fanatec GT3 RS, and the T300 which is considerably better than those (and more flexible with add-ons) but without the huge price of the CSW. The two Fanatec pedal sets have load-cell brake pedals which is the single best addition I've ever made to my rig in terms of on-track performance.

There are a number of PC racing sims available besides the 3 you mentioned, I don't think you'd miss GT/Forza much. I don't think pCARS is the new standard, nor will it ever be. It's far more stable on the PC, but I don't think the hardcore sim racers will ever fully embrace it as it's still a bit of a "game".

The community isn't as large and it's a bit splintered, but if you know where to look you can probably find racing rooms. iRacing would be the best bet for online racing and probably for tuning/sharing tunes with the community. Personally I don't play it because I hate the way the cars feel (incredibly difficult to drive) but it has a large community and it's easy to share tunes.

Just my opinions, I'm sure others will share theirs to help you make an informed decision. I will say that since I've moved to PC sims I do really miss the large online community for GT and how quick/easy it was to get some online racing/hooning going. I'm hoping that as pCARS gets its online bugs ironed out then it will start to replace some of that community action I've been missing.

Morning,

I recently bought a PS4 and a T300 (still using my G27 pedals) along with Project cars. Coming from GT6 I have to say project cars is more than a step above. The realism, feel, tracks and over all game play is a joy. Oh yeah, the SOUND is the cherry on top. Tuning would be right up your ally, I am assuming with your background of racing actual cars on the track. Much more technical than GT6. From what I have been told the PC ver. is even better, with more options. As Brandon said the community is not as large. Sometimes finding a clean room can be a struggle. There are some issues, bugs and glitches, but what game does not have any?

The PS4 does give you the option for GT7 and Assetto Corsa . As for Xbox, unable to give opinion, don't have one and do not plan on getting one.

I have Assetto Corsa. However my laptop and my own personal knowledge of pc sim racing is limited. PC sim racing is a whole new level. No more plug and play. Just setting up my wheel took days to properly tune and adjust. If you have the money, PC will give you more of a challenge for your driving skills.

JohhnyPenso recently built a PC and plays project cars on the PC. Maybe you could PM him for some more insight.

Hammi if you want to play with the regular GT6 guys,its a no brainer,PS4.
For use of your Logitech wheel,PC is the only option. No PS plus payment etc.
I'm assuming most of the GT6 guys will be buying GT7,they will need a new wheel.

The community isn't as large and it's a bit splintered, but if you know where to look you can probably find racing rooms. iRacing would be the best bet for online racing and probably for tuning/sharing tunes with the community. Personally I don't play it because I hate the way the cars feel (incredibly difficult to drive) but it has a large community and it's easy to share tunes.

Just my opinions, I'm sure others will share theirs to help you make an informed decision. I will say that since I've moved to PC sims I do really miss the large online community for GT and how quick/easy it was to get some online racing/hooning going. I'm hoping that as pCARS gets its online bugs ironed out then it will start to replace some of that community action I've been missing.
This is the biggest downside to going to pc as I see it. The flexibility is great, the variety of games is great including games other than race sims, but the communities tend to be much smaller and quite fractured and the tuning community seems to be very small in all the games I've seen. There is nothing like that GT tuning community that I'm aware of and tunes seem to be very track specific like they are in real life so creating a generic tune is not so easy, at least in my limited experience.

If the community aspect of things is important to you, you'll have to stick with one or the other console I'm afraid.

Over the years I've build a solid friends list of like minded racers. At any moment I can jump on and get in on something good. Some nights it's just nice to hang out with the fellas for a couple of hours. This reason alone is why I have chosen to stay with PS4. The solid community.
Sorry I wasn't much help in other areas. B

Hammi for you it should be an easy decision - PS4. I have followed your tunes on GT6 for quite a while and think you are right up there with Praiano ;-) and I think you will love the PCARS tuning.

If you go any other way you will kick yourself when GT7 is released. We have no idea when but we are guaranteed it will be quite spectacular (even with it being unfinished and with all it's bugs).

PCARS has set the benchmark for PS4 and GT7 will have to do something very special if Kaz wants to try and knock it off. We both know with an ego the size of Kaz's he will be trying pretty hard.

Also not to mention a lot of your GT6 friends will eventually migrate to PS4 as well and I am sure you wont want to miss most of them.

As an added bonus Drive Club is now a free PS4 download for Plus members. If nothing else it has made me very happy that I did not buy it ;-)

BTW I use a Thrustmaster T300 wheel and Clubsport pedals Ver.1 First up I tried my Fanatec Porsche GT2 wheel and even though it was supposed to have full support I just gave up on how badly it worked :-( Despite what people will say the wheel support in PCARs for PS4 is still not quite right and needs further tinkering by SMS.

Online at the moment is quite bad. Too many heroes on hand controllers all wanting to win on the first corner. PCARS rates a very distant second place to how well GT6 works online except there is none of the network issues that GT6 has. So the ideal would be GT6 GUI and set up with PCARS networking except for the small issue of the game lagging a bit every time someone joins or leaves the lobby.

Just to qualify my comments a little I have over 240 hours on this game and have done all the career except the last 5 races. 2 are bugged and can't be done (yet?) and the other 3 are coming with the next DLC so I have spent some time on it ;-)

Just to add a thought: If you get a console, you can still get rid of it on ebay for a reasonable price in 2 years and go for another platform. With PC that will be a bit harder to do. Whatever you do, dont get a gaming laptop.

I m very satisfied with my PS4 and T300RS (with T500 pedals) combo. Love the wheel, love the console cause I play lots of non-racing games as well.

I'd happily recommend PS4 and T300RS to anyone.

For me, there are two let downs on consoles. Access to telemetry data and TT leaderboards.

PC owners get access to loads of data. There are apps that will allow you to display it on a second screen or mobile device and analyse the data afterwards. Console owners can only see it on a HUD covering the whole screen and unless you record the session driving with the HUD there is no way to watch replays with telemetry.

Leaderboards only show results by car group (GT, Road etc) while PC has results by car.

PS4 - would allow for me to play Project Cars now, Assetto Corsa in 2016 and GT7 when PD gets around to finishing it.

Don't forget that going with PS4 would also let you play DriveClub. Don't write it off straightaway! I wasn't interested in it coming from GT6, however, I was pleasantly surprised at just how good it is, & think that every PS4 racing fan should own a copy. It's such a breath of fresh air, & is an awesome little racer.

If you do get a PS4 though, you will really need an officially licensed wheel to get the most out of racing games/sims, so that leaves pretty much the G29 or T300. If you're happy to pay the money get a G29, you'll be familiar with the tech cos it's practically the same as your G27 already.

As a G25 owner I've also tried CSR Elite & ClubSport V1 pedals, & have to say that although they are more expensive I really didn't like them, I much prefer my G25 pedlas with NIXIM V2 brake mod. My advice is; try before you buy!

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

👍

Wheel Options:

ClubSport V2, wheel, pedals & shifter = $1060
Logitech G29 & ClubSport pedals = $550
Thrustmaster T300 RS & ClubSport pedals = $550

I really love the quality of the ClubSport V2 base, but the way you have to build it out is just a pain. I could go with the universal wheel mount and buy a duplicate of the wheel that I have in my Spec Miata, but that ads another $230. So is the ClubSport V2 worth an additional $740 over the other two options? Is the performance truly worth double the price?

Right now: PS4 / T500RS / TH8A (with Patrick's custom H and SQ plates)

Initially I bought the PS4 for ProjectCARS and other titles to come.
But having experienced the physics and graphics of ProjectCARS, I will not return to GT series (unless GT7 would be on par with the other games, which I highly doubt).

I already ordered Fanatec Clubsport V2 base / Porsche 918 RSR wheel / SQ shifter and V3 pedals.
Next step will be a PC (mainly because I want to go for triple screen setup and I do want a button box to control all functions while racing).
PC will give me the possibility to try out other sim racing titles too (heard a lot of good things about GSCE)...

Only downside for me: I ditched PC years ago in favor of Mac, a decision I never regretted.
Moving to PC (be it only for sim racing) is a tough step...:scared:

Right now: PS4 / T500RS / TH8A (with Patrick's custom H and SQ plates)

Initially I bought the PS4 for ProjectCARS and other titles to come.
But having experienced the physics and graphics of ProjectCARS, I will not return to GT series (unless GT7 would be on par with the other games, which I highly doubt).

I already ordered Fanatec Clubsport V2 base / Porsche 918 RSR wheel / SQ shifter and V3 pedals.
Next step will be a PC (mainly because I want to go for triple screen setup and I do want a button box to control all functions while racing).
PC will give me the possibility to try out other sim racing titles too (heard a lot of good things about GSCE)...

Only downside for me: I ditched PC years ago in favor of Mac, a decision I never regretted.
Moving to PC (be it only for sim racing) is a tough step...:scared:

Is he still making these ? I thought i read he stopped.If he is still in the biz can you post a link.

$550? The Clubsport pedals alone cost 300 dollar (+shipping)... are you talking about used Clubsport pedals?
Or maybe you're confusing them with the CSR Elite pedals?

If not I'd like to know where they sell that stuff at such a low price.

ClubSport V2, wheel, pedals & shifter = $1060

Option four. T300RS, your pedals from G27 with an adapter ,$20.00. Total $420.00.

Also suggest watching frys.com daily for sale on the T300. I was able to buy a new one for only $309.00

Option four. T300RS, your pedals from G27 with an adapter ,$20.00. Total $420.00.

Also suggest watching frys.com daily for sale on the T300. I was able to buy a new one for only $309.00
I already have the Nixim brake pedal mod on my G27.

$550? The Clubsport pedals alone cost 300 dollar (+shipping)... are you talking about used Clubsport pedals?
Or maybe you're confusing them with the CSR Elite pedals?

If not I'd like to know where they sell that stuff at such a low price.

Right. I was confused with the CSR Elite pedals. I want top notch in my next wheel/pedals so my new pricing would look like this.

ClubSport V2, wheel, pedals & shifter = $1200
Logitech G29 & ClubSport pedals = $700
Thrustmaster T300 RS & ClubSport pedals = $700

If you want to use Clubsport pedals in combination with Thrustmaster wheels on console, you'll need an adapter such as this one: http://www.basherboards.com/CPX
Don't know if something similar exists for the Logitech wheels.

But it looks like you're tending towards PC, right?

If you want to use Clubsport pedals in combination with Thrustmaster wheels on console, you'll need an adapter such as this one: http://www.basherboards.com/CPX
Don't know if something similar exists for the Logitech wheels.

But it looks like you're tending towards PC, right?

I am truly not sure yet. I do like the community in GT6. If tuning applied across all platforms for Project cars, then PC having the best experience, may be the way to go for me?

I am truly not sure yet. I do like the community in GT6. If tuning applied across all platforms for Project cars, then PC having the best experience, may be the way to go for me?
Several people have tried my tunes on console that I made on pc and they seem to translate fine. SMS did say that all three platforms had the exact same physics and the SMS Event standings had several pilots from each platform in the top 20 overall so I believe this to be the case.

@Motor City Hami

I went back to PC because of the whole G27 not supported issue. I have no regrets. Many of my current GT6 league members did the same.

One thing to think about is that going the PC route allows you to spread out the expense. Buy the PC now, keep using the G27, and then recover your bank account before buying new wheel.

As was mentioned, pCARS just puts the rest of the console racers to shame. Once my current GT6 season is done I will be leaving the GT world behind. I just can't bring myself to go back to it without finding all the flaws.

VBR
Don't forget that going with PS4 would also let you play DriveClub. Don't write it off straightaway! I wasn't interested in it coming from GT6, however, I was pleasantly surprised at just how good it is, & think that every PS4 racing fan should own a copy. It's such a breath of fresh air, & is an awesome little racer.
Driveclub is hugely underrated. It's a great game. I thought the same about the Motorstorm games too, especially the first one. Evolution studios are a talented bunch, and seeing their ridiculous attention to detail, I'd be interested to see them have a crack at a sim.

Hammi

I've used your tunes and read your posts for a few years. I own Project Cars PS4 & PC. I am also one of the people who have successfully used one of Johnnypenso's (Z4 GT3) tunes on both platforms. I think you in particular will take to the tuning aspect of project cars. I find it infinitely better than what is currently offered with GT6. Be warned however, PCars has some bugs. And if you're used to the polished product that GT6 is, some of the pcars bugs will give you pause.
I just don't think those bugs are deal breakers.............yet.
The Pcars dev's do try to keep up with the fixes.

For you I suspect the PS4 route is best. Although my PC version of PCars is stunning even without my planned GPU upgrade to GForce 980. I figure consoles will have to use Ultra High (2400k) definition displays to get PC like graphics.

I have a G27 that works fine on PS3 that will not work with my Windows 8.1 PC. Perhaps Windows 10 will fix that issue due to built in backward compatibility. If you use Windows 7 you may be safe.

All n all, console is much more socially oriented than PC.
And one of the PC vendors will have to step out of the sim box to add solid
social features to it's franchise.

I do miss my PS3 on-line friends. Most of them have not made the jump to PS4 yet. And some will have issues with having to buy a new wheel to do so.

As far as the wheel goes, I would not trust Logitech based on the way they have abandoned G27/25 customers in relation to PS4 usage and PC (USB driver/Profiler) software.
They simply forced PS4 owners who own perfectly good G27's to spend $400.00 USD
for a G29. Plus extra if you want a gear shifter.
I suspect the 29 is simply a re-skinned G27.

These are just my thoughts on the matter. I'm sure there are other routes I've not considered.

Last edited:

When you select a car to race in a lobby/room in GT6 that car keeps the same livery and tuning parameters when you take it to the track. Same with your selected interior view.
I very much like project cars, but GT6 beats the brakes off it in terms of UI (user interface)
and basic menu function and object selection.

Plus you can select more than one car during a practice session.

There are many others. GT had them and has been around long enough to have fixed them.
I have faith that project car's will do the same. Pcars even in its current state is twice the pure racing sim that GT6 will ever be.

But right now GT is a polished product when compared to Pcars. That needs to change and its not even funny. :lol: :confused: :cheers: I'm betting the SMS developers get it done prior to release of Project Cars 2.

Last edited:

Have you made up your mind yet?

Back