Project Morpheus VR headset and GT7

I want that VR for Ace Combat or any other flight sim from Gaijin on PS4, a helicopter sim sounds awesome too, maybe a remake of Apache Air Assault on PS4 :embarrassed:
Those are exactly the kinds of games where head-mounted displays will excel. Anything where you're expected to move your whole body, and not just flail your bonce around, will not work quite as well, although could still be fun.

People are saying already that for a game like ARMA, which has first person infantry as well as vehicle controls, headsets are not necessarily optimal. Track IR is generally still preferred, and / or multi-monitor setups, because the infantry parts don't work as well and the transition is jarring. That's just my impression, mind, and individuals will no doubt vary.

Anything with a "cockpit" is guaranteed to benefit from these displays, though.

Not to forget horrogames or adventure.
And id like to see combat flight simulators again :)

But also for chatrooms, PD should implement female drivers!

I'm aware. But I bet once it comes out there will be first person shooters that utilize the VR.

My guess is you'll still control the player movement with the controller, but you'll be able to look around with the VR, and then aim probably either with the right stick or that cool PS move assault rifle thing, since they said the VR headset will work in tandem with the PS camera and Move.

I highly doubt only games with "cockpits" will benefit from VR.

I'm aware. But I bet once it comes out there will be first person shooters that utilize the VR.

My guess is you'll still control the player movement with the controller, but you'll be able to look around with the VR, and then aim probably either with the right stick or that cool PS move assault rifle thing, since they said the VR headset will work in tandem with the PS camera and Move.

In fairness, that's not what I said. VR headsets are not full-body, so you won't be dodging anything with it. That disconnect will jar for many people, for others maybe not at all. I expect most people will come to learn to work with it, after some undetermined orienting period.

What you describe has been tried (and is the control scheme I personally think will dominate, as opposed to some of the alternatives tried), and it's not certain that it works for all players. But for those that it does, it'll be great.

It is simply better suited to "cockpits", in the general case, for the general player. That does not imply that anything else is worthless, only that it's harder to sell a consistent experience, in the general case, for the general player.

-but how wide will the field of view be? like one tv or like triplescreen?...

I would guess that the angular FOV would be similar to the normal human peripheral view angle. No more than that is required, and maybe they can get away with less. Then, as one turned one's head, the content would synchronously scroll to keep the viewed objects in the right apparent location in space.

Why don't you just buy Xbone and get kinnect or whatever it is?

I thought of this a looooong time ago (like 2003 when I was 7) and then when they made it, it was a horrible system. Sure it was cool to see how your body movements work, but I'd like to actually be able to fully explore the uses for body imaging things like that..

Why don't you just buy Xbone and get kinnect or whatever it is?

I thought of this a looooong time ago (like 2003 when I was 7) and then when they made it, it was a horrible system. Sure it was cool to see how your body movements work, but I'd like to actually be able to fully explore the uses for body imaging things like that..

Because I don't want an Xbox? Not sure what that has to do with Playstation's VR.

Ok after reading this, am I the only one who remembered using this back in the day? (still thankful I never wasted $ on one)

Virtual-Boy.jpg

If anything, I wouldn't be suprised if they changed everything to standards in VR mode as it is less graphically intensive.

VR is graphically expensive as you have to essentially render everything twice, plus you need to maintain a minimum of 60 frames per second, at 1080p with anti-aliasing to not break the immersion. Anything lower would look awful and probably cause headaches/sickness.

If the Game is 3D, it's really simple...
All you need is Right eye and Left eye from 3D.
and 3D at 60 frames is no problem at all..

I would guess that the angular FOV would be similar to the normal human peripheral view angle. No more than that is required, and maybe they can get away with less. Then, as one turned one's head, the content would synchronously scroll to keep the viewed objects in the right apparent location in space.

wikipedia: "...humans have an almost 180 degree forward-facing horizontal field of view...", "...binocolar vision, wich is important for depth perception, covers only 120 degrees (horizontally) of the field of vision in humans - the remaining peripheral 60 degrees have no binocular vision..."

- i dont think so, 90 degrees wont be similar to normal human peripheral view angle, wich is sad because it would make so much diference at racing! to me, those 180 degrees, or close, mentioned at wikipedia would be the main atraction.
- fun, but turning my head its not the same thing as seeing cars and road passing on my side wile driving. the sense of speed increases a lot. wider fov would also allow perspectives and objects sizes to be more realistic, instead of the current unrealistic narrowing.

wikipedia: "...humans have an almost 180 degree forward-facing horizontal field of view...", "...binocolar vision, wich is important for depth perception, covers only 120 degrees (horizontally) of the field of vision in humans - the remaining peripheral 60 degrees have no binocular vision..."

- i dont think so, 90 degrees wont be similar to normal human peripheral view angle, wich is sad because it would make so much diference at racing! to me, those 180 degrees, or close, mentioned at wikipedia would be the main atraction.
- fun, but turning my head its not the same thing as seeing cars and road passing on my side wile driving. the sense of speed increases a lot. wider fov would also allow perspectives and objects sizes to be more realistic, instead of the current unrealistic narrowing.
For more than 90 degrees you probably need curved displays

don't forget it still has to work for people with glasses ... i guess that's a requirement too... and then anyone's FOV is 90 degrees ...check it out with sunglasses ...

For more than 90 degrees you probably need curved displays
yes, i imagined them curved. like professional simulators. sizes and perspectives are very important when practicing in sims to real races.
don't forget it still has to work for people with glasses ... i guess that's a requirement too... and then anyone's FOV is 90 degrees ...check it out with sunglasses ...
sure, its better if people with glasses can use it as well, the more the better. same goes for people that dont have much money, it should work for those too. ;)
dont u agree that being able to see left and right side of the car wile looking front would be great? enables realistic perspectives, realistic object sizes, clean overtakes, more sense of speed, ...
i'm not trying to leave anybody out, just saying how great that would be, i would be very, very interested in such VR.

i am interested in such display since gt5 at least

Last edited:
I'm very excited for this.

After learning more about oculus rift, then learning about Sony's version, I must say I absolutely cannot wait to be sat playing gt7 wearing one of these.

Even better if I can afford one of those hydraulic G simulator rigs. (doubtful, but I can dream)

Back