Project Scorpio Becomes Xbox One X, Releases November 7 at $499XBOne 

Why do you want MS to fail?
It's really not a discussion for this thread, I don't have an issue with Xbox per se, I just don't like the company for reasons other than video games. I was just admitting to a personal bias against them-admitting it rather than trashing them and trying to use facts to back up my dislike. I had fun with my 360 though

As much as I like the Xbox, I just don't really see the need for the XOX, especially at the price point. I mean here's a breakdown of how it differs from the S

zyn9l5ktu70cuy3azhhb.png

Plus, I'm guessing that there will be just Xbox One games and if you put them in a XOX they just look prettier. Even though I have a a 4K TV, I think the Xbox One looks good enough for a console.

As much as I like the Xbox, I just don't really see the need for the XOX, especially at the price point. I mean here's a breakdown of how it differs from the S

zyn9l5ktu70cuy3azhhb.png

Plus, I'm guessing that there will be just Xbox One games and if you put them in a XOX they just look prettier. Even though I have a a 4K TV, I think the Xbox One looks good enough for a console.
I'm assuming maybe it's targeting folks like me who have "1st-gen" Xbox Ones and have been contemplating upgrading to a newer, better model?

I'm assuming maybe it's targeting folks like me who have "1st-gen" Xbox Ones and have been contemplating upgrading to a newer, better model?

I have a first gen Xbox One too, I still see no point in upgrading if I can still play all the same games. I mean is it really going to be that big of a jump to justify the price? I can't see graphics really demanding that much of a premium.

The only thing I'm interested in is backwards capability since I still have several Xbox games that I'd like to play again, but I think I read somewhere where it's only going to be downloadable games? I'm not sure on that though.

I have a first gen Xbox One too, I still see no point in upgrading if I can still play all the same games. I mean is it really going to be that big of a jump to justify the price? I can't see graphics really demanding that much of a premium.

The only thing I'm interested in is backwards capability since I still have several Xbox games that I'd like to play again, but I think I read somewhere where it's only going to be downloadable games? I'm not sure on that though.
Is there a chart that compares all 3, out of curiosity?

I have contemplated getting a more updated model & we recently purchased our first 4K TV, so even at double the price, the X may be more beneficial to me if the S differences are tiny compared to the original model.

Is there a chart that compares all 3, out of curiosity?

I have contemplated getting a more updated model & we recently purchased our first 4K TV, so even at double the price, the X may be more beneficial to me if the S differences are tiny compared to the original model.

This has been the only one I've been able to find while looking around today:

oxbit3umzclloqnzftld.jpg

So what I can gather is that the other two systems are faster and look a little nicer when it comes to games but that's about it. I never really thought of the original One as slow for a console. Compared to a PC it's a turtle, but compared to other consoles I'm not really annoyed by it except for some poorly optimized games.

the 'HDMI variable refresh rate (when ratified)' is interesting. Wonder what the 'when ratified' means.. Is there still talks with AMD equipping Freesync capabilities in the Xbone X? If that's the case this feature might get missed by the majority of developers.

From what I've been hearing from gamers in my circle is that they were hoping it would be $399, that indeed seemed to be the sweet spot as someone said above.

I think for $399 it would have been an incredible deal, and MS probably wouldn't have sold many 1Ses. At $499 they're still going to sell plenty, and they'll get the rest of the people in 6 months when it drops to $399 for Christmas (and is still an incredible deal).

£450 to play 16 years old games.Microsoft is biggest joke ever

That's not a negative, to be able to play a 16 year back catalogue of excellent games in 4K is awesome!

As much as I like the Xbox, I just don't really see the need for the XOX, especially at the price point. I mean here's a breakdown of how it differs from the S...

I suppose you could add smaller dimensions, stack-able and presumably runs cooler to that list. I guess that would matter to some people.

The price point is high, especially in the UK, but I think it would fall pretty fast especially as it launches a few months before Xmas.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order me one of these. I need(want actually, I have a 40" Sony Bravia LCD that's 9 years old now and perfectly fine, I'm tired of waiting for it to break) a 4K tv though, and will have to do a bunch of research.

I kind of want an OLED, but I've read that high end Samsung and Sony LCD's/LED's are comparable in picture to OLEDs, and a quite a bit cheaper. I really want an LG OLED C7p, that's a 55" and supposed to be one of the best gaming TV's around, but that guy is also $2800.

At least I have all summer to figure this out. :)

Last edited:
That's not a negative, to be able to play a 16 year back catalogue of excellent games in 4K is awesome!

I suppose you could add smaller dimensions, stack-able and presumably runs cooler to that list. I guess that would matter to some people.

The price point is high, especially in the UK, but I think it would fall pretty fast especially as it launches a few months before Xmas.
A few months before Xmas ? It drops on November 7th

I think I'm going to go ahead and order me one of these. I need(want actually, I have a 40" Sony Bravia LCD that's 9 years old now and perfectly fine, I'm tired of waiting for it to break) a 4K tv though, and will have to do a bunch of research.

I kind of want an OLED, but I've read that high end Samsung and Sony LCD's/LED's are comparable in picture to OLEDs, and a quite a bit cheaper. I really want an LG OLED C7p, that's a 55" and supposed to be one of the best gaming TV's around, but that guy is also $2800.

At least I have all summer to figure this out. :)

Well if you can nab a Samsung KS8000 you won't be disappointed with it. It's also a very good gaming TV, as well as other uses.

Well if you can nab a Samsung KS8000 you won't be disappointed with it. It's also a very good gaming TV, as well as other uses.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about that television. I was looking into that model last year.

There's just so much to look at when getting a new television now. I really want UHD and HDR, but I've been reading you have to watch out for "low input lag" on some of them. I've also read OLED can have some of the same screen issues as plasmas used too. I really don't want to spend 3k on a television. If I knew I could get 9+yrs out of it like my current one, then yeah maybe. I've read the life expectancy on OLED tvs is 5 years, so I may look more at 4K LCDs.

I've had great luck with my Bravia, but I've also read they aren't as rock solid as they were 5+ years ago.

It's all about the games....we'll see how it does. Switch is $100 less - be interested to see their presentation tomorrow. I've never been on the bandwagon of more power equals better system. Just ask Sega Dreamcast

Agree - I'm hoping they bolster up their first party AAA titles, especially if they wanna succeed against the PS juggernauts!

One thing that bodes well for them is their cross-play initiative - I have a gaming laptop with gtx1070, so I am hoping these xbox exclusives start to role out. So far, the XB exclusive I'm most interested/excited about playing is Cuphead lol.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about that television. I was looking into that model last year.

There's just so much to look at when getting a new television now. I really want UHD and HDR, but I've been reading you have to watch out for "low input lag" on some of them. I've also read OLED can have some of the same screen issues as plasmas used too. I really don't want to spend 3k on a television. If I knew I could get 9+yrs out of it like my current one, then yeah maybe. I've read the life expectancy on OLED tvs is 5 years, so I may look more at 4K LCDs.

I've had great luck with my Bravia, but I've also read they aren't as rock solid as they were 5+ years ago.

Yeah. And seeing the Xbone X supports Freesync, you might need a 4k / UHD HDR TV with Freesync via HDMI. Luckily implementing it is very easy, however AFAIK you cannot just add it with a firmware update. Perhaps AMD can do something about it
So really you need these in a TV:
- 4K UHD
- HDR10 (maybe Dolby Vision too)
- low input lag and response times for gaming in both HDR and non-HDR
- Freesync via HDMI
- 1080p 120Hz option
- good, fast, ad-free interface (Smart)

Wow I need to do some research, things change so fast when it comes to new TV's and technology. So basically, OLED is the new Plasma?

Right now I have a 60" Samsung 3D smart TV that's just shy of being 3 years old, bought it in August 2014. It was a $1400 TV back then. I don't think I would be anywhere in the neighborhood of wanting to spend $2200 though.

Wow I need to do some research, things change so fast when it comes to new TV's and technology. So basically, OLED is the new Plasma?

Right now I have a 60" Samsung 3D smart TV that's just shy of being 3 years old, bought it in August 2014. It was a $1400 TV back then. I don't think I would be anywhere in the neighborhood of wanting to spend $2200 though.
I don't know enough about them really, but they can get image burns in the screen like a plasma I know.

I need to do some research on freesynch though, I don't know what that is.

I've been just googling "best 4K hdr gaming tv" and cross referencing it with consumer reports and their ratings.

I'm probably out on a OLED then, I'm pretty anal about turning off the TV when a game is paused, even if I'm only going to be out of the room for 4 minutes, but I still don't like the idea of it happening. I need to find out what a good refresh rate is for a 4K TV, my TV now has 240Hz refresh rate, which was pretty fast when I bought it.

I'm probably out on a OLED then, I'm pretty anal about turning off the TV when a game is paused, even if I'm only going to be out of the room for 4 minutes, but I still don't like the idea of it happening. I need to find out what a good refresh rate is for a 4K TV, my TV now has 240Hz refresh rate, which was pretty fast when I bought it.
A lot of them are still 240hz, but I've noticed a few that had 960hz refresh rate, on Sony models in particular.

Yep, OLED succeeds Plasma TVs. At the moment LG dominates the OLED TV market, though there have been a couple by others

OLED TVs are priced outside the average consumer range, so it's kinda meant for the enthusiast market. It's possible a more budget OLED TV may come, but I won't bet on it anytime soon. Mostly because it's difficult to manufacture, and requires very stringent quality assurance. There are other reasons I may have missed but that's the main one.

Luckily Samsung offers something called QLED / quantum dot, which in my eyes is remarkably close to OLED. It's cheaper to manufacture so we may find QLED TVs in the budget range. Though the cautious bit about budget TVs is that manufacturers have to compromise somewhere. Usually the biggest compromise is in gaming. Manufacturers continue to do this since most people don't really care.

A lot of them are still 240hz, but I've noticed a few that had 960hz refresh rate, on Sony models in particular.

Those extremely high refresh rates are usually falsely advertised as motion interpolation. So it's not native refresh rate. There are TVs that can do 1080p 120Hz native, enabled via settings

From what I've read, OLED TVs do not suffer as bad image burn-in as before, and not certainly as much as Plasma. Though image retention can occur. LG knows this, so they implemented measures that the user can enable to remedy image retention.

I was just looking at a Samsung QLED set for $2400 and wondering what the Q stood for, thanks for explanation. I'll probably just wait for a list of recommended TV's that work great with the Xbox One X and then make a decision from there. I don't really watch much TV, only sports and the occasional show, I mainly just watch movies and play games.

As far as the best LG OLED for gaming, I've seen this one ranked very high on several "best gaming tv 4K hdr" lists. It's the 2016 model, but pretty reasonable at 2k.

LG Electronics OLED55B6P Flat 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2016 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDF9S1G/?tag=gtplanet-20

Seriously thinking about getting it, in fact I may just add it to my cart so I can ponder it. :) I think it has that Dolby Vison, not sure about freesync.
Consumer reports has great ratings on it as well.

Sorry for being off topic and derailing this thread. Is there a TV thread?

Last edited:
As far as the best LG OLED for gaming, I've seen this one ranked very high on several "best gaming tv 4K hdr" lists. It's the 2016 model, but pretty reasonable at 2k.

LG Electronics OLED55B6P Flat 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2016 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDF9S1G/?tag=gtplanet-20

Seriously thinking about getting it, in fact I may just add it to my cart so I can ponder it. :) I think it has that Dolby Vison, not sure about freesync.
Consumer reports has great ratings on it as well.

Sorry for being off topic and derailing this thread. Is there a TV thread?

I consider a 4K UHDTV to be an accessory to and Xbox One X, not sure how off topic it really is to talk about 4k TV's in the context of getting a new Xbox that will use it's features, but that's just my 2¢

LG's OLED's are the best out there hands down. In terms of the One X, 4K content will look better on a 1080p screen than 1080p content does so you will see some slight improvement even if you don't invest in a new TV. Also there are plenty of affordable 4K TV's now if you don't mind going with LCD.

A few months before Xmas ? It drops on November 7th

Even better, retailers will probably have a price war to secure sales.

LG's OLED's are the best out there hands down. In terms of the One X, 4K content will look better on a 1080p screen than 1080p content does so you will see some slight improvement even if you don't invest in a new TV. Also there are plenty of affordable 4K TV's now if you don't mind going with LCD.

Even better, retailers will probably have a price war to secure sales.
The problem is a lot of the cheaper ones don't have HDR.

Still waiting on that big price drop that was supposed to happen on OLED TVs...

Back