PS2 DVD Remote

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 21 comments
United States
Everywhere
I just bought the Sony PS2 DVD Remote today.

I haven't plugged it in, haven't even taken it out of the package, I was just wondering what everyone else was using in the way of a DVD remote for their PS2.

~LoudMusic

Well, I hate to admit it, but I have the same remote. Even though I rarely watch DVD's on my PS2, I had a moment of weakness one day and bought it on looks alone. :)

I have a DVD remote for my Xbox as well, but I really don't think the Xbox is that great of a DVD player. I have a Sony 5 Disc (with the worst remote in history, darn those wheels.) and I also have a Toshiba 6 disc with issues (With the second worst remote in history.) :)
The sony is what I watch movies on, but the Toshiba has the best picture quality (too bad it has issues with various DVD's)

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
I have a DVD remote for my Xbox as well, but I really don't think the Xbox is that great of a DVD player. I have a Sony 5 Disc (with the worst remote in history, darn those wheels.) and I also have a Toshiba 6 disc with issues (With the second worst remote in history.) :)
The sony is what I watch movies on, but the Toshiba has the best picture quality (too bad it has issues with various DVD's)

Does the toshiba have zoom? The XBox does. That would be the only coolness that might bring the XBox up in the ranks.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

I was going to get one of them remotes but all the stores are sold out and I am not settling for some company like Madcatz or another company like that. I would prefer the actual XBOX one.

Originally posted by LoudMusic

Does the toshiba have zoom? The XBox does. That would be the only coolness that might bring the XBox up in the ranks.

~LoudMusic

The Toshiba does have zoom and it's pretty good too. I was able to make out what is hidden in the cloth in the blair witch project pretty easily. Actually the nicest feature of the Xbox is the ability to rip songs off of your CD's (or CDR-W's) onto the HD, and substitute them for lousy in game music. (Although, so far all the games have had excellent music)

And I agree with you Tazz, I have bought a few Madcatz accessories over the years, and none of them have had very high quality. Luckily Saitek, and Logitech are getting into the act... :)

I don’t see any reason for one, the DS2 controller works fine for me. Look at it this way, the PS2 is in a location where the controller easily reaches where I am sitting for playing games, which is where it stays all the time, so buying a wireless controller for the DVD feature is just a waste of my money.

Originally posted by Spotter
I don’t see any reason for one, the DS2 controller works fine for me. Look at it this way, the PS2 is in a location where the controller easily reaches where I am sitting for playing games, which is where it stays all the time, so buying a wireless controller for the DVD feature is just a waste of my money.

Not everyone's situation is the same. My PS2 is in a fairly large room where the controllers only reach half way to the 'best seat in the house'. I drag an ottaman over to play games on, but I like to sit in a comfy chair to watch movies.

The Sony PS2 DVD Remote is also nice because it has all the DualShock buttons on it. I wish it had analog buttons and sticks too though! (: But for $20 ... that might be asking too much.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by Spotter

Well you also get a DVD driver update. So if some of your movies are skipping, or the sound is a bit off. The new driver will help you out. Plus there are new functions on the remote that you can't access with the controller.

Such as:

Scan 1-3 speed
slow (I think this is three speeds as well)
counter (Shows you how far you are in the movie.. :rolleyes: )
Plus: you can use the remote for games as well (for whatever reason)

If any of you want to buy a remote, I would suggest the official SONY one, it really is worth the extra money.

I had a Saitek one once, but bought a Sony after trying one at a friends house.

Originally posted by CloneHead

Well you also get a DVD driver update. So if some of your movies are skipping, or the sound is a bit off. The new driver will help you out. Plus there are new functions on the remote that you can't access with the controller.

Such as:

Scan 1-3 speed
slow (I think this is three speeds as well)
counter (Shows you how far you are in the movie.. :rolleyes: )
Plus: you can use the remote for games as well (for whatever reason)

If any of you want to buy a remote, I would suggest the official SONY one, it really is worth the extra money.

I had a Saitek one once, but bought a Sony after trying one at a friends house.

It also has all the ACTUAL DVD buttons, like Menu and all the number buttons. And yes, it does work for games. It has all the DS2 buttons. I played SSX Tricky with it (:

~LoudMusic

anyone actually notice u can take your dvd remote to a friends house that has the same remote and control their dvd without having to take the connector that goes onto the ps2? i pissed off my friend with it and he ended up selling his control for $5

I have a DVD remote. I also rarely use my DVD's. I think its good when you watch DVD's. But I would think it would be sweet if you could use it as a controller.

I have the remote too. The only thing I don't like about it is the 2+KB of space the DVD upgrade takes up on your memory card.

One feature I think you missed though is the ability to watch certain "homemade" DVDs. I forget what DVD format it is, sorry.

Originally posted by Solid Lifters
I have the remote too. The only thing I don't like about it is the 2+KB of space the DVD upgrade takes up on your memory card.

One feature I think you missed though is the ability to watch certain "homemade" DVDs. I forget what DVD format it is, sorry.

I believe it was 2MB, being 1/4 or 25% of the memory card. They should have made the firmware flashable on the PS2 with about 64MB of flash memory. That way they could add features with game releases from Sony. Oh well ...

Also, I've used my Sony PS2 DVD remote to play games. It's obviously not as good, but it still works.

Sorry to bring this thread from the dead but I did do a search...

Anyway, So what's the deal with these remotes?! They seem pretty worthless to me?! Why have so many buttons when none of them can control the PS2?? For instance, when playing a music cd you can only use the back and forth arrows and the x or o to control the music?! When playing a DVD you can only bring up the menu onscreen but you can't use the other controls on the remote?

Speaking of gravedigging, I'm resurrecting this thread yet again to ask my own questions:
  • Is the DVD remote and IR receiver for older, fatline PS2s still available?
  • Does it allow you to reset the PS2?
  • Anybody got one they want to sell?
Thanks!

Speaking of gravedigging, I'm resurrecting this thread yet again to ask my own questions:
  • Is the DVD remote and IR receiver for older, fatline PS2s still available?
  • Does it allow you to reset the PS2?
  • Anybody got one they want to sell?
Thanks!
Not cheap, but I see some on eBay: http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

On the reset question, I'm not sure. I have the newer style one with a power/reset button on the top right corner(it's a green button). I don't see that button on the older remote that comes with a receiver unit.

I always wanted one but I never play DVD's on my PS2 so never bought it, I thought it looked amazing and Im glad the PS3 one looks similar (Sony do AMAZING remotes) and I may be swayed into buying the PS3 one. Just wondering.....

Can you use it with PS3?, like if you had the early ones with the ir receiver and plug it into a DS2 to PS3 converter? I know it would be abit silly to do but worth a try!

And also I never figured this out...... could you play games effectively wirelessly using the PS2 remotes square, triangle etc etc buttons? That would be quite cool but you will kill the batteries!

Robin

I did buy the Sony remote a long time back. But I pretty much never play DVDs on it anymore. Yet I still have the receiever still plugged into the second controller port :odd:

Back