PS4 Physics, Updates and Special EventsPS4 

• Thread starter TT92
  • 344 comments
I've not got Gold in any event till now. I did like 10 till now; I don't do drift events. Got silver in a couple of them and bronze in like 5 of them.
As you can see, my comment is pretty useless :P and didn't help anyone.
I just wanted to let you know how loser I am. :lol:

The inconsistency is odd, but I just put this down to the tyres and physics changing several times since the game launched – making some easier, and some harder.

I noticed that they have adjusted the gold requirement a few times after updates. An example being the Z4 at Imola was Gold with a 1:43.999 and now it is 1:44.999.

Too difficult? Not difficult enough? Depends where your skill level sits.

I guess the point is that what’s difficult for some isn’t for others… so for the game developer, the challenge is finding a difficulty level to suit all – hence the different levels of trophies.

And the main question is should every player, of every ability level, be able to get all gold?
Like @TT92, I don't believe that everybody should be able to get Gold. The simple fact is, there is a wide range of skill levels among sim racers just as there is a wide range of skill levels in every facet of life. If you make an event so that even the newest of n00bs, with no natural skill and slow reflexes can Gold the event with 10 or 20 tries what do you think that event is going to be like for a Stotty or a WhoosierGirl? Pretty much just a waste of time, in my opinion.

Even though I never touched a sim steering wheel or game until GT6, I believe people who say that the license tests on GT5 & GT6 were a joke compared to GT4 and earlier editions. I have no shame in admitting that some of those GT6 license tests seemed almost impossible to me...at first. I kept practicing and practicing different hot laps & races, gaining skill and eventually I was able to go back and claim Gold on every event. That's how things work. If you have the ability, you progress in skill. Some people plateau sooner than others. Some, much sooner. It baffles me how many times I've read comments like, "This game is so stupid!! There's no way I shouldn't be beating the Gold times on some of these license tests. Way to go, Polyphony Digital!! Your game sucks!!" People actually feel robbed and insulted if they don't get that shiny Gold trophy. I've never understood that mentality.

I've not got Gold in any event till now. I did like 10 till now; I don't do drift events. Got silver in a couple of them and bronze in like 5 of them.
As you can see, my comment is pretty useless :P and didn't help anyone.
I just wanted to let you know how loser I am. :lol:
No. I think your comment is a great post. 👍 It shows that you might not have the talent of an Alien, but you can still enjoy the sim nonetheless. THAT is all that really matters, at the end of the day. As others have pointed out, some of those events that you're having trouble with might need to be re-adjusted after Tire Model changes or physics changes.

So, maybe you're actually a victim of changes made to the car which is going to knock a second or whatever off your laptop. And maybe not. Maybe you just need to keep practicing and honing your skills driving and either learning how better to tune your car to suit your driving style or try tunes from The Setup Market (or ask here). I know that my skills are average, at best. I'm sure I could be a little better at practicing...I think that I do have some untapped skill left inside of me. And if not? If this is the best that I'm capable of...so be it. I still love racing and running Track Days, so that's all that matters.

No. I think your comment is a great post. 👍 It shows that you might not have the talent of an Alien, but you can still enjoy the sim nonetheless. THAT is all that really matters, at the end of the day. As others have pointed out, some of those events that you're having trouble with might need to be re-adjusted after Tire Model changes or physics changes.

So, maybe you're actually a victim of changes made to the car which is going to knock a second or whatever off your laptop. And maybe not. Maybe you just need to keep practicing and honing your skills driving and either learning how better to tune your car to suit your driving style or try tunes from The Setup Market (or ask here). I know that my skills are average, at best. I'm sure I could be a little better at practicing...I think that I do have some untapped skill left inside of me. And if not? If this is the best that I'm capable of...so be it. I still love racing and running Track Days, so that's all that matters.

Thanks for those nice words!

I don't think my problem is related to tire models but more to skill and talent!

Yes I can improve in practice, that is for sure but the problem/advantage (depends on how you see it) is that I'm not totally dedicated to Sim racing! I play lots of other games on my PS4 and sometimes play sim racing once a week and I don't have a lot of time!
For example, I was having some issues with an event and I was like 2 to 3 secs away from Bronze time! I concentrated and was determined to get a medal and after some tries, I was able to get the Bronze time and get close to the silver time with little tuning!

Driving is a mostly talent and knowledge in my opinion! It's a magical thing really! I enjoy looking at people driving amazingly fast, accurate and consistent! Really a talent! It cannot be replicated if you don't have it!

There's only 1 hotlap event I think is truly impossible - the M4 at Murburgring GP.

Might have been once, but not with current tyre/physics model.
How far off are you? Gave it a go on PC version, time seems a lot slower than console version. Managed to get Gold using touchpad as steering. Might give it a go on PC with wheel and see if I can get below the console time on latest physics, is it 1:38.5 Gold time?

Last edited:
I would always be top 50 in GT time trials (top 20 if I put in a decent effort)… so what you would classify as a good challenge (achievable in 20-30 laps) would likely only take me 5-10 laps… and for a proper alien like @eclipse, might be 1st lap.

Being in the top 20-50 is very impressive. This is where having World rankings would help you very fast guys. Once you achieve the Gold time you then move on to beating each other and compete for "bragging rights" ;-)

The trouble I have is getting bored out of my skull just doing solo laps. I used to load a ghost time from someone in the top 10 and follow them around and found that easier and more interesting. Also once I topped my friends leader board I was happy, they are ones I was interested in beating.

On a side note I quite often found my second lap was faster than my 15th or 20th. Some of the top people I have spoken to also agreed with this but then there were others that recon they did over 1,000 laps.

BTW the only aid I ever used was ABS. My friends and I had an agreement to not use anything else and when you looked at other people's time we could see what they used.

Not being able to tune yourself shouldn’t be a barrier – there are readily available tunes on the set-up market and youtube.

Except PC tunes don't apply to a PS4 and now different physics and tyre models don't either.

The inconsistency is odd, but I just put this down to the tyres and physics changing several times since the game launched – making some easier, and some harder.

This is very annoying and amateurish on Kunos's part IMHO

And 20-30 laps is under an hour on most tracks… I remember some of the license tests and events in GT4 taking me weeks to gold. The more difficult to achieve, the higher the reward when you get it.
Yes, agreed, up to certain point. It is now just unfair with the different tyre/physics. I remember from GT5 the Alfa 4C event from the Eiger Norwand Swiss Alps track I tried for months to do it and was always 0.3 secs off. I even got one of my very fast friends to try it and he couldn't do it either so I deleted all the game updates and tried it as a day one install and got it by over a second on the first lap!

The only hotlap event I’m truly frustrated with is the M4 at Nurburgring GP – that event is impossible on the PS4 IMHO.

I am finding that some of these times are like GT5/6 online time trials where you have to know how much of the track to cut. The classic was always the second chicane at Monza where GT6 would allow all 4 wheels well wide of the exit kerb and there was 1 sec advantage there :-( So I will now ask you, a clearly faster driver, what hope do I have then?

And if you think the hotlaps are frustrating, wait until you try some of the quick races on Alien level… much more difficult than the hotlaps!!

I only have a few Hot Lap events left to do, everything else I have already Golded including the whole career mode. Regarding the quick races, they were easy, using a few tips from Whoosiergirl ;-) ;-) But regardless, some of those are just unfair and legitimately impossible to do hence I do not have a problem with using available idiosyncrasies in the game to overcome them ;-)

Man, you guys are so fast. Out of 6 events i have tried, i have 2 golds (GTR black and white in Nords, super car race in Silverstone) 1 silver (first special event, need 0.5 more for gold) 1 Bronze and 2 nothing ( Mcclaren P1 in Nords (keep crashing), BMW GT3 in Imola (0.5 seconds from Bronze). I feel like the standard set on road cars are lower than on GT3 cars. I only get gold and silver with road cars and nothing in GT3. May be i drive better on road cars than GT3 or may be Kunos is inconsistent with the gold standard across different racing classes?

How far off are you? Gave it a go on PC version, time seems a lot slower than console version. Managed to get Gold using touchpad as steering. Might give it a go on PC with wheel and see if I can get below the console time on latest physics, is it 1:38.5 Gold time?

1'38.5 is the gold time. I had another run last night and my best was a 1'39.8. I could possibly find another few 10ths, but not 1.3s.

On a happier note, I got gold on 'under 9' last night - I'd previously had a few runs on this one and was still 3s off gold with no idea where the missing time was. Double checked the tune and noticed I could use 'street tyres' instead of 'street vintage'. Switched tyres and beat the gold by 3 seconds 1st lap, then another 2 seconds on the following lap. Felt like a bit of a dunce :lol:

Just 2 left now... the M4, and the McLaren MP12GT3 at Barcelona.

If anyone has a good tune for the MP12 they could post/pm it would be appreciated... I'm still 0.7 off this one, but finding it hard to get a good balance between tyre pressures and temps (left hand side tyres overheat very quickly).

How far off were you on the older physics?

:lol:

You can try this tune out I used on Brands Hatch Indy, I struggled a lot with front right tyre locking and also a bit slippery on some kerbs but might work on Barcelona track, maybe a bit more fuel and gearing for more top speed required.

Probably following tune is better, haven't tried it:

I only got the game mid Jan, so have only played on the current physics/tyre model... maybe the new update will make this one possible again... if not I'll post bug as a on the AC forums.

The 2nd tune is similar to the one I've been using, and if I run softs at 18 cold, they are cooked after the 1st long right hander (ie; bright red). I had to switch to mediums to get through a full lap. But I'll give it a go 👍

I only got the game mid Jan, so have only played on the current physics/tyre model.

The 2nd tune is similar to the one I've been using, and if I run softs at 18 cold, they are cooked after the 1st long right hander (ie; bright red). I had to switch to mediums to get through a full lap. But I'll give it a go 👍
On tune I used, I use much higher tyre pressures. Best to start off with hot soft tyres, worth a lot in lap time. Do they overheat that much even when using close to stock setup?

On tune I used, I use much higher tyre pressures. Best to start off with hot soft tyres, worth a lot in lap time. Do they overheat that much even when using close to stock setup?

Dunno, would have to check stock - the tune I started with is one I used to gold another MP12GT3 hotlap event, and it was fine there (Vallelunga, I think). As soon as I tried it at Barcelona the tyres went red. I've been playing with tyre compunds, pressures and camber, trying to find a good overall balance, but definitely can't run full laps at 100% commitment on softs... they are bright red by mid lap.

On a side note I quite often found my second lap was faster than my 15th or 20th. Some of the top people I have spoken to also agreed with this but then there were others that recon they did over 1,000 laps.

Anyone who says they can get to their lap time limit in 2 laps is not applying themselves properly... they might have a faster lap time on lap 2, but this is because they are losing concentration or not learning where the minute improvements are.

Depending on the track, I can normally get to within 1s of my ultimate lap time relatively quickly. After that, it takes commitment and time to chip away the final 10ths.

As an example; Some of the mileages covered by people in the GT Academy Events are huge - to get to the UK Finals in 2010, I pretty much ran laps every day from the day the competition opened to the final evening - downloading the latest ghosts and finding odd 10ths here and there became an obsession. Most of the people who went to the finals did the same.

Dunno, would have to check stock - the tune I started with is one I used to gold another MP12GT3 hotlap event, and it was fine there (Vallelunga, I think). As soon as I tried it at Barcelona the tyres went red. I've been playing with tyre compunds, pressures and camber, trying to find a good overall balance, but definitely can't run full laps at 100% commitment on softs... they are bright red by mid lap.
I think your best bet is stick with soft tyres with tyre blankets on, just up the tyre pressure until it doesn't overheat throughout lap.

Do you do the drift events guys too?!?

I haven't tried the drift events yet beyond a quick go when I 1st got the game (during which I spent most of my time spinning wildly :lol:).

If I get gold in all the hotlap and quick race events, I'll apply myself to the drift events so I can get the platinum - I'm about half way through career, but that's more a test of your boredom threshold that driving ability.

So let me get one thing, the platinum requires both finishing the whole career on gold and all the events on gold?!
If so I need to forget about it then, for good!

I think you to need all the other trophies to get platinum. So yes, you would need to gold all the special events to get platinum.

The GOLD hotlap trophy is mine :D

Took me nearly 2 hours to get the MP12GT3 at Barcelona, and when I did, the 'faster' trophy popped up - so you don't need the M4 at Nurburgring (I'm still only bronze on that).

Ran a 0.6 fairly quickly, and was stuck around this time for a good while. Then found the fast line through the long right after the 1st 2 corners, and picked up nearly 0.2. Then found another 0.2 in the next 2 corners to get to a 0.15. Was stuck on this for nearly an hour, then finally managed to nail the technical section at the end of the lap (primarily getting the braking right at the end of the back straight and not over driving in to the off camber right).

Didn't beat it by much (less than 0.1), but they all count.

Big thanks to @HavanaB0B for the tune - I think you must be a bit gentler on your tyres than I am as i needed another 1psi in the left hand side.

Took me nearly 2 hours to get the MP12GT3 at Barcelona, and when I did, the 'faster' trophy popped up - so you don't need the M4 at Nurburgring (I'm still only bronze on that).

Ran a 0.6 fairly quickly, and was stuck around this time for a good while. Then found the fast line through the long right after the 1st 2 corners, and picked up nearly 0.2. Then found another 0.2 in the next 2 corners to get to a 0.15. Was stuck on this for nearly an hour, then finally managed to nail the technical section at the end of the lap (primarily getting the braking right at the end of the back straight and not over driving in to the off camber right).

Didn't beat it by much (less than 0.1), but they all count.

Big thanks to @HavanaB0B for the tune - I think you must be a bit gentler on your tyres than I am as i needed another 1psi in the left hand side.
That long right-hander kills me. I still can't figure out a great line through that turn...and it's so damn long! If I do time my exit nicely and I'm setup on the left edge of the track for the next double right, I still usually blow the entry there. I don't know why. I run this track a lot...my brain should have figured out and memorized good driving lines by now. :banghead: Congrats on getting that trophy Stotty. :cheers:

Congratulations Stotty :-) Would you please post your MP12 GT3 tune for Barcellona? So we don't need the M4 at Nurburgring?! That is good news because I am really struggling with that one.

While on this subject do you, or anyone else actually have an accurate list of the events that are required? I am a little vague on this because as car packs were added it has confused what is actually required and I cannot find a list anywhere.

I am now down to the last few events and I really would like to the least amount as possible ;-)

My strategy has been doing the events by track. I have nearly finished off Silverstone and am about to head over to The Ring and I would really love to know which ones I don't need to do.

Congratulations Stotty :-) Would you please post your MP12 GT3 tune for Barcellona? So we don't need the M4 at Nurburgring?! That is good news because I am really struggling with that one.

While on this subject do you, or anyone else actually have an accurate list of the events that are required? I am a little vague on this because as car packs were added it has confused what is actually required and I cannot find a list anywhere.

I am now down to the last few events and I really would like to the least amount as possible ;-)

My strategy has been doing the events by track. I have nearly finished off Silverstone and am about to head over to The Ring and I would really love to know which ones I don't need to do.

You do not need any events that use DLC cars, or the events that use the Toyota 86 and the BMW M4.

Congratulations @Stotty

Good luck!

Not sure what the final one is... but as @WhoosierGirl says, you don't need any of the DLC ones.

The R8 race car is the tricky one at Silverstone - the rest are pretty straight forward. Couple of tips for the 'Ring events - 1) remember to put 'street' tyres on the 'under 9' Toyota, 2) the Alfa 4C is horrible with stock tune (loads of understeer)... you'll need to remove the huge amount of +ve toe to fix this (just set toe to get 0 front and rear), and add some front -ve camber.

I think the McLaren was the one I had to work hardest for - but primarily because I wasn't confident I could get it until I got close to the time. It's hard as the tyres won't do multiple laps without overheating, so you do 1 fast lap, 1 cool down lap, 1 fast lap... makes it harder to find where the best lines are to chip the time away.

Good luck!

Not sure what the final one is... but as @WhoosierGirl says, you don't need any of the DLC ones.

The R8 race car is the tricky one at Silverstone - the rest are pretty straight forward. Couple of tips for the 'Ring events - 1) remember to put 'street' tyres on the 'under 9' Toyota, 2) the Alfa 4C is horrible with stock tune (loads of understeer)... you'll need to remove the huge amount of +ve toe to fix this (just set toe to get 0 front and rear), and add some front -ve camber.

I think the McLaren was the one I had to work hardest for - but primarily because I wasn't confident I could get it until I got close to the time. It's hard as the tyres won't do multiple laps without overheating, so you do 1 fast lap, 1 cool down lap, 1 fast lap... makes it harder to find where the best lines are to chip the time away.

Thanks heaps for the advice.

What about cars from the Prestige pack? Technically that was not DLC? But not everyone would have those cars so are they included in the events? Looks like the M4 is and isn't needed so what about the others?

You do not need any events that use DLC cars, or the events that use the Toyota 86 and the BMW M4.

I have already wasted time with the M4 and GT86 :-( I am finding it is a little on the confusing side and there is nowhere where it is clearly explained.

I have the original disc version and the M4 and GT86 are included but, those events are not needed for some reason. I wasted time on some of them also.

Last edited:
Started the time attacks, though not sure what the point of them is... I can get golds not pushing more than half pace :lol:

Started the time attacks, though not sure what the point of them is... I can get golds not pushing more than half pace :lol:

I suspect it was to teach you the tracks before you attempted the Hot Laps and Race events. So basically it is your fault you are doing them out of sequence and are already just tooo fast :bowdown: ;)

So like I said in the tips I posted in the other thread about the Gold Achievements, it is just too easy and I got them all first go without even trying so you will breeze through.

Now if Kunos made these a little harder and the Hot Laps a little easier i.e. take the mean average of difficulty we would have a great game.

That long right-hander kills me. I still can't figure out a great line through that turn...and it's so damn long! If I do time my exit nicely and I'm setup on the left edge of the track for the next double right, I still usually blow the entry there. I don't know why. I run this track a lot...my brain should have figured out and memorized good driving lines by now. :banghead: Congrats on getting that trophy Stotty. :cheers:

Are you watching your replay to see how much room you still have to the edge of the track?

Latest Posts

Back