PS4 pro frame stutter and other issues

Netherlands
Netherlands
Hi guys. When you look at the name of all the threads you would not be able to see that many people are having issues with the game. It looks to be a bit personal. Let’s combine the complaints so that it’s easier to find for others.

Maybe there is a difference between PS4 and PS4 pro ? For that reason I added the pro in the title because I use the PS4 pro. Could be that on the normal one these issues occur less heavy.

But if I look at the ones that are happy they are still complaining about the frame stutter but you just need to focus on the track. And not the world around it. In 2020 this seems to be a bit odd. Just go and buy a PC would be a better advice.

For me personally the game is not playable. Maybe my eyes are better than that of others. But the 30fps framerate is too low. The game stutters and is not flowing wel. I stopped playing after a couple of minutes.

The seat position is terrible for me personally. The dash is way to high. FOV and seat adjustment would be necessary. For me it feels the car is not on track, but flowing some meters above the track. The frame stutters don’t help here as well.

I cannot enjoy all the good parts as long as the basics are not taken care of. The good news is this probably could be fixed.

Last edited:
Hey there.
I'm personally really undecided whether to buy it or not.
I don't have the money yet to afford a decent gaming PC, and I have far too many other games to play on the other platforms, at the moment.
As good as the game can be, I'm not sure it would justify alone buying a new desktop.

That's why 35 euros for the PS4 version is a very interesting price. I'm kinda new to the sim world, I also have the normal AC on PS4 but didn't play it much, and around 50 hours on GTsport.
I did start to like GT3 cars more and more and the game would be spot on from that point of view.

I'm however also someone that notices difference between 30 and 60 FPS. And I'm afraid it could be a deal breaker.

May I ask how big your TV is?
I'm also surprised you can't adjust FOV as the original one allowed you to do it..

Hey there.
I don't have the money yet to afford a decent gaming PC, and I have far too many other games to play on the other platforms, at the moment.
As good as the game can be, I'm not sure it would justify alone buying a new desktop.

That's why 35 euros for the PS4 version is a very interesting price. I'm kinda new to the sim world, I also have the normal AC on PS4 but didn't play it much, and around 50 hours on GTsport.
I did start to like GT3 cars more and more and the game would be spot on from that point of view.

I'm however also someone that notices difference between 30 and 60 FPS. And I'm afraid it could be a deal breaker.

I'm also surprised you can't adjust FOV as the original one allowed you to do it..

Only played it for 2 hours. last night.. could nt find controls or any way to change FOV nor seat position... as for Frame rate.. maybe Macboyylija has some eysight sensibility problems... (who knows??) frame rate was totally ok for me... (using a Simple PS4... not pro...)

Only played it for 2 hours. last night.. could nt find controls or any way to change FOV nor seat position... as for Frame rate.. maybe Macboyylija has some eysight sensibility problems... (who knows??) frame rate was totally ok for me... (using a Simple PS4... not pro...)
I'm sure I would get used to the 30FPS. I am not that picky.
But I think the difference is always noticeable, especially if you have some sort of on-off toggle.
I have Grid Autosport on Switch for when I'm too tired to drive the wheel : the port was awesome and lets you choose between a almost stable 60 fps or a graphically enriched ( yet stable ) 30 frames.
It's a staggering difference.
Then again having the game just in that 30 fps might help getting used to it.

My main question is regarding the controller layout. What are the options and can the user edit/map it all to their own preference?

Assetto Corsa runs and looks much better than ACC.
Just ran some laps with Lamborghini Hurican Super Trofeo at Monza. So same car/track combo as ACC and the difference in the experience is night and day.
So much more playable. A massively better and smoother experience. I can’t ever see the devs getting ACC even remotely close to AC.

Hey there.

I only played for a few hours last night, so I my opinion might be limited and and I didn't touch multiplayer yet. Anyway, here's my initial review if that can help.

For context, my setup is PS4 slim, G29 wheel and pedals, LG 34" curved ultrawide (semi) gaming monitor.

Tl;dr; Could graphics and fps be better? Yes. Is it playable and totally worth £34? Totally.

UI and settings. I haven't played on PC but from what I've seen from streams, the UI it's basically a straight up port from PC. Overall it works but I think certain interactions are weird to navigate when you don't have a mouse/keyboard. Many are complaining there too many settings and not enough buttons to map them to. I didn't find this to be a problem, just set the MFD cycle to a button on your wheel and you are good to go, wanting to map every single ABS or TC step is really an overkill.

Graphics. I played Gran Turismo all my life and therefore I'm somewhat spoiled. You might disagree, but imo GT is always on the top edge of graphics and stunning replays on every single console generation they've been on. So ACC could certainly have better graphics but end of the day they are not that bad. Rain and night also look quite good, better than many people would want you to believe with their comments. My personal opinion, ACC looks better than PC2 on my PS4. In any case, totally enjoyable.

FPS. Ok, this is a big one of course. You can definitely notice the 30 fps, especially when you look on the side of the track, trees and stuff. There is also some input lag naturally. Having said that, personally I find it very playable regardless, I can drive no problem and once you focus on your pace you don't notice the fps anymore, it just flows. For full context, my monitor has active sync, which is supposed to reduce input lag, I don't know if that makes my experience any different or better.

Physics and sound. This is the best part of it all and what makes it worth the £34 imo. Driving is awesome, it's hard work but in a good way. You can feel how the driveability changes based on the different conditions but the car always remain a pleasure to drive. Not even once slightly touching the grass shoots you into outer space, the way it should be. Sound, there's plenty of video on YouTube and yes, it sounds amazing!

FFB. I think is great overall and in my experience very similar to PC2. In both I would prefer a touch stronger feedback when going over some curbs but otherwise it's nice. This also depends on personal preference/settings, so you need to spend some time on finding the perfect balance you like.

In conclusion, I'm really really happy with my purchase and I know I'll have good time on this for the foreseeable future.

Everyone experiences things differently but I believe many expected this to be just a tiny worse than ACC on a £3000 pc they see on streamings hence some very harsh feedback. For a £300ish console and a £34 game, the experience you get from it is totally worth it, let's be honest.

A thing that misses (a lot) and you may use in several racing games.. including PC2 is redefinition of coomands using keyboard keys (yes keyboard! you may use one in PS4 for example.. i do!!) Haven´t found to be possible to do so! :(

I only played for a few hours last night, so I my opinion might be limited and and I didn't touch multiplayer yet. Anyway, here's my initial review if that can help.

For context, my setup is PS4 slim, G29 wheel and pedals, LG 34" curved ultrawide (semi) gaming monitor.

Tl;dr; Could graphics and fps be better? Yes. Is it playable and totally worth £34? Totally.

UI and settings. I haven't played on PC but from what I've seen from streams, the UI it's basically a straight up port from PC. Overall it works but I think certain interactions are weird to navigate when you don't have a mouse/keyboard. Many are complaining there too many settings and not enough buttons to map them to. I didn't find this to be a problem, just set the MFD cycle to a button on your wheel and you are good to go, wanting to map every single ABS or TC step is really an overkill.

Graphics. I played Gran Turismo all my life and therefore I'm somewhat spoiled. You might disagree, but imo GT is always on the top edge of graphics and stunning replays on every single console generation they've been on. So ACC could certainly have better graphics but end of the day they are not that bad. Rain and night also look quite good, better than many people would want you to believe with their comments. My personal opinion, ACC looks better than PC2 on my PS4. In any case, totally enjoyable.

FPS. Ok, this is a big one of course. You can definitely notice the 30 fps, especially when you look on the side of the track, trees and stuff. There is also some input lag naturally. Having said that, personally I find it very playable regardless, I can drive no problem and once you focus on your pace you don't notice the fps anymore, it just flows. For full context, my monitor has active sync, which is supposed to reduce input lag, I don't know if that makes my experience any different or better.

Physics and sound. This is the best part of it all and what makes it worth the £34 imo. Driving is awesome, it's hard work but in a good way. You can feel how the driveability changes based on the different conditions but the car always remain a pleasure to drive. Not even once slightly touching the grass shoots you into outer space, the way it should be. Sound, there's plenty of video on YouTube and yes, it sounds amazing!

FFB. I think is great overall and in my experience very similar to PC2. In both I would prefer a touch stronger feedback when going over some curbs but otherwise it's nice. This also depends on personal preference/settings, so you need to spend some time on finding the perfect balance you like.

In conclusion, I'm really really happy with my purchase and I know I'll have good time on this for the foreseeable future.

Everyone experiences things differently but I believe many expected this to be just a tiny worse than ACC on a £3000 pc they see on streamings hence some very harsh feedback. For a £300ish console and a £34 game, the experience you get from it is totally worth it, let's be honest.

Your review really did it for me.
That, and the fact that I got some small bonus at work, so I told myself why not.
Currently in download!
Funnily enough, however, I just re-opened GTPlanet to post this and reailsed PC3 is going to come out really soon..

i have noticed today my PS4 Pro is mega hot and i have only been playing an hour it's like a jet engine trying to get rid of the heat. (disc version if that makes a difference).

It seems most people not having issues don’t have a PS4 Pro. As my title suggested. Makes me think of the RDR2 issues where people with a pro were having HDR issues.

Heard there is a patch ready. Will try it out some more after that. But the stuttering and clipping is pretty annoying for me. Cant see myself getting used to this.

Here’s a very interesting video. Base PS4 gives largely higher frames than Pro although on occasion also dips below. Frame pacing appears to be the main issue.

Last edited:
Here’s a very interesting video. Base PS4 gives higher frames than Pro. Frame pacing appears to be the main issue.

That’s really interesting to see. Kind of mind boggling how the standard PS4 is capable of more fps than the Pro? Is it due to graphical enhancements being enabled?

For me I think the problems aren’t so much with it being 30fps vs 60+ that we would be used to for other racing games, but instead in the fluctuations in framerate.

Compared to games that are locked to a rock solid 30fps they don’t look that bad, it’s when the framerates fluctuate so much that it becomes a lot more noticeable and jarring for the player.

Don’t know what it is but many Unreal Engine 4 games seem to have this issue on console regardless of how much the graphics are being pushed. Hopefully Unreal 5 will be a lot more smoother on consoles.

Surely there’s got to be a way Kunos can lock ACCs framerate to 30 and try and keep it as close to the number as possible without it dipping up and down so much (based on that video)

Here’s a very interesting video. Base PS4 gives largely higher frames than Pro although on occasion also dips below. Frame pacing appears to be the main issue.

First WTF... PS4 PRO capped at 32fps!
Second WTF... base PS4 is running as high as 42fps with the Porsche at Brands...

I’m rather confused... Hopefully there’s lots more to come from this games performance on PRO. Honestly I would’ve preferred a delay to releasing it like this.

Assetto Corsa runs and looks much better than ACC.
Just ran some laps with Lamborghini Hurican Super Trofeo at Monza. So same car/track combo as ACC and the difference in the experience is night and day.
So much more playable. A massively better and smoother experience. I can’t ever see the devs getting ACC even remotely close to AC.
I was literally about to post regarding this! I’ve been playing ACC all day and to be honest I adjusted to the frame rate etc, just done a few laps on AC and what a difference. So much clearer and the FF is so much more dialled in on it. I’m really disappointed with ACC.

Is there a reason why ACC runs at 30FPS where as AC is at 60FPS? Why can’t they run it at 60?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason why ACC runs at 30FPS where as AC is at 60FPS? Why can’t they run it at 60?
Different engine.

That’s really interesting to see. Kind of mind boggling how the standard PS4 is capable of more fps than the Pro? Is it due to graphical enhancements being enabled?

For me I think the problems aren’t so much with it being 30fps vs 60+ that we would be used to for other racing games, but instead in the fluctuations in framerate.

Compared to games that are locked to a rock solid 30fps they don’t look that bad, it’s when the framerates fluctuate so much that it becomes a lot more noticeable and jarring for the player.

Don’t know what it is but many Unreal Engine 4 games seem to have this issue on console regardless of how much the graphics are being pushed. Hopefully Unreal 5 will be a lot more smoother on consoles.

Surely there’s got to be a way Kunos can lock ACCs framerate to 30 and try and keep it as close to the number as possible without it dipping up and down so much (based on that video)
I agree it’s not 30fps that’s the problem. It’s the frame pacing as the video shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you hear that?
There must be a patch incoming because the game is lacking feature that are on the official website (like PS4 Pro having selectable 1080P and 1800P modes).

Also the game desperately needs a patch to resolve steering wheel support issues and tackle the stutter.

There must be a patch incoming because the game is lacking feature that are on the official website (like PS4 Pro having selectable 1080P and 1800P modes).

Also the game desperately needs a patch to resolve steering wheel support issues and tackle the stutter.
No official patch has been confirmed either incoming or in the works at this time.
I’m sure a patch will drop at some point but nothing is confirmed on when that will be or any fixes or improvements it may contain.

Yeah I thought this too but I’m pretty sure I just misinterpreted the article. I think they just meant thats what you get when connected to a 4k or 1080p tv. Not that you can choose it.

For those that are having framerate issues such as stuttering or jerkiness on either the base ps4 or the ps4 pro try a database rebuild. It worked a treat for me, the difference is night and day in performance. Just google how to do it. Basically, power down the console completely, not put into standby. Once completely off, pull the powercord from the console for approx 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Push and hold the power button until you hear two fast beeps, the console will load into safe mode. Connect your dualshock controller using the usb cable and select option 5 I think it is, REBUILD DATABASE....takes a few minutes is all and then any stuttering issues should be fixed. It's similar to the old defrag you used to do on your pc. The other thing I did was set my TV to GAME MODE. I'm playing on a ps4 pro connected to a LG 55 in 4K . Hope this helps and brings some enjoyment back to the title. :cheers:

For those that are having framerate issues such as stuttering or jerkiness on either the base ps4 or the ps4 pro try a database rebuild. It worked a treat for me, the difference is night and day in performance. Just google how to do it. Basically, power down the console completely, not put into standby. Once completely off, pull the powercord from the console for approx 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Push and hold the power button until you hear two fast beeps, the console will load into safe mode. Connect your dualshock controller using the usb cable and select option 5 I think it is, REBUILD DATABASE....takes a few minutes is all and then any stuttering issues should be fixed. It's similar to the old defrag you used to do on your pc. The other thing I did was set my TV to GAME MODE. I'm playing on a ps4 pro connected to a LG 55 in 4K . Hope this helps and brings some enjoyment back to the title. :cheers:
Thank you sir!! I tried this and now the game smooth like butter :) this game is amazing!! Congrats to Kunos for releasing this game to console!! Thank you! Love the physics and sounds!!!

Thank you sir!! I tried this and now the game smooth like butter :) this game is amazing!! Congrats to Kunos for releasing this game to console!! Thank you! Love the physics and sounds!!!

You are very welcome ! I'm so pleased it worked for you. I was all for returning the game until I found this fix :gtpflag:

Optimisation tips are always great. Sadly this game still runs like garbage on my PS4 Pro. It causes me eyestrain due to the framerate being so low.

It's not the frame rate being low it's the inconsistency of frames. I saw a spike yesterday at monza where I completely flew off the chicane. I haven't played since then. It's also been 105f over here. It's just now in the mud 80s.

Back