PS4 pro frame stutter and other issues

For those that are having framerate issues such as stuttering or jerkiness on either the base ps4 or the ps4 pro try a database rebuild. It worked a treat for me, the difference is night and day in performance. Just google how to do it. Basically, power down the console completely, not put into standby. Once completely off, pull the powercord from the console for approx 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Push and hold the power button until you hear two fast beeps, the console will load into safe mode. Connect your dualshock controller using the usb cable and select option 5 I think it is, REBUILD DATABASE....takes a few minutes is all and then any stuttering issues should be fixed. It's similar to the old defrag you used to do on your pc. The other thing I did was set my TV to GAME MODE. I'm playing on a ps4 pro connected to a LG 55 in 4K . Hope this helps and brings some enjoyment back to the title. :cheers:

I’ve seen this suggestion in other places but nobody made the case as compelling as you did so I decided to try it and I knew it was going to be placebo and would not make a difference.

I can only do 20 minutes at a time on this game. I either do 210 minute sessions or one 15 minute session

since there was nothing to lose and since doing a database rebuild is good for your system anyway, I decided to try it.

I just completed three 15 minute sessions and my eyes are not killing me the way they do when I’m only doing 10 and 20 minute sessions. That is the first time that I was able to raise 45 minutes straight without my eyes failing me and without me getting extremely nauseous and dizzy. I could easily do another 15 minute session if not two more.

I have a natural leaning toward getting nauseous during First person games or games that have quiclose jerky movement like god of war. This was the first racing game that made me extremely nauseous. I started a thread asking if I was the only one who got nauseous playing this. While I’m writing this post I am very happy to report that after 45 minutes of racing I am not nauseous

This does work. This does work.

I’ve seen this suggestion in other places but nobody made the case as compelling as you did so I decided to try it and I knew it was going to be placebo and would not make a difference.

I can only do 20 minutes at a time on this game. I either do 210 minute sessions or one 15 minute session

since there was nothing to lose and since doing a database rebuild is good for your system anyway, I decided to try it.

I just completed three 15 minute sessions and my eyes are not killing me the way they do when I’m only doing 10 and 20 minute sessions. That is the first time that I was able to raise 45 minutes straight without my eyes failing me and without me getting extremely nauseous and dizzy. I could easily do another 15 minute session if not two more.

I have a natural leaning toward getting nauseous during First person games or games that have quiclose jerky movement like god of war. This was the first racing game that made me extremely nauseous. I started a thread asking if I was the only one who got nauseous playing this. While I’m writing this post I am very happy to report that after 45 minutes of racing I am not nauseous

This does work. This does work.

I'm not suggesting it is a permanent fix but I just wanted to share how it improved the game for me, at least until Kunos come up with a patch. Glad it worked for you mate.

Optimisation tips are always great. Sadly this game still runs like garbage on my PS4 Pro. It causes me eyestrain due to the framerate being so low.

Sorry to hear it still not running well for you. Hopefully Kunos will patch this issue soon.

Not sure if this will help anyone else with the PS4 Pro frame pacing / stutter issue, but here's my findings.

I usually use my PS4 pro on a 4K tv. I've tried turning it down to 1080p output and also tired turning off HDR, but to no avail, the frame pacing/stutter issue continued.

However, last night I plugged it into a different TV, a normal 1080p / Non-HDR screen and to my surprise no Frame pacing / Stutter at all?? I've tried replicating the output settings on the 4K TV, but the stutter seemed to come back. Not sure exactly why the two TV's are giving such different experiences when the PS4 Pro itself is outputting the same settings, but if anyone else is having issues out there this may be something to try to get a better experience.

Having played the game without the Frame Pacing / Stutter issue now, I can see how much of an issue it really was!

Not sure if this will help anyone else with the PS4 Pro frame pacing / stutter issue, but here's my findings.

I usually use my PS4 pro on a 4K tv. I've tried turning it down to 1080p output and also tired turning off HDR, but to no avail, the frame pacing/stutter issue continued.

However, last night I plugged it into a different TV, a normal 1080p / Non-HDR screen and to my surprise no Frame pacing / Stutter at all?? I've tried replicating the output settings on the 4K TV, but the stutter seemed to come back. Not sure exactly why the two TV's are giving such different experiences when the PS4 Pro itself is outputting the same settings, but if anyone else is having issues out there this may be something to try to get a better experience.

Having played the game without the Frame Pacing / Stutter issue now, I can see how much of an issue it really was!

I had the frame pacing/stuttering issue initially playing the game on my ps4 pro and connected to a 4k tv. Once I'd done the database rebuild the problem went away and the game plays smoothly.

I recently did a HD format and reinstall to try to clear another issue in general with the PS4-Pro, but haven't done a DB rebuild since I installed ACC (or any of the other games). I'll give that a try and report back, although it wouldn't explain why it was fine on my other TV. Clearly is a very temperamental problem that can come and go with the slightest changes??

UPDATE - Rebuilt my database and again tried the game on the 4K tv with all possible display settings turned down to minimum, but still the Frame Pacing / Stutter continues. Must be something to do with the difference between the PS4 Pro mimicking low performance on a 4K tv and having no choice on a more basic model :confused:

Last edited:
Now do a race at Zolder 09:00 sunny and tell me it’s fixed.

Zolder ran stuttery for me to start with, forgot to set my tv to GAME mode....as soon as I switched to GAME mode it ran smoothly, put it back in a different picture mode and it stuttered again so GAME mode defo works, did for me anyway. I'm now not convinced the database rebuild makes any difference.

Zolder ran stuttery for me to start with, forgot to set my tv to GAME mode....as soon as I switched to GAME mode it ran smoothly, put it back in a different picture mode and it stuttered again so GAME mode defo works, did for me anyway. I'm now not convinced the database rebuild makes any difference.
What are you talking about? You are the one who convinced me to try the database rebuild and my game has run so much smoother ever since. I could not tolerate more than about 20 minutes before I started getting nauseous and now I can go for three hours easy with no problems

I’m on a Samsung 4K TV And I haven’t had to change the resolution since I did the rebuild

What are you talking about? You are the one who convinced me to try the database rebuild and my game has run so much smoother ever since. I could not tolerate more than about 20 minutes before I started getting nauseous and now I can go for three hours easy with no problems

I’m on a Samsung 4K TV And I haven’t had to change the resolution since I did the rebuild

Mate, I played again yesterday and it was stuttery as hell , so I did a database rebuild again and it was still stuttery graphically....I know, weird, it seemed to work the first time. What I hadn't done yesterday was change the picture type to GAME mode....not the resolution, that I have never changed. Once in GAME mode it was smooth as butter again, no graphical stuttering. If it's all still running smooth for you, that's great !

I'll try GAME mode on my TV later and see if that works, it would explain why using different TVs also worked for me, as maybe the native settings for the lower spec (non-stuttering tv) are closer to a working set

UPDATE - It worked! :) Playing the game I was switching between Game mode and non-Game modes on my TV and you can see the stutter coming and going as the mode changes (With Game mode having no stutter)...

… that said I noticed as I was testing that a 1.02 patch was downloading too, so that may also be a fix?

Last edited:
First impressions? Pretty disappointing. Coming from GT Sport, the framerate is borderline unbearable. Sure the sound and physics are great, but the framerate kills it
You're not wrong, but try playing with the sun set low, or night time. It runs much smoother, even in stormy conditions. Try different TV modes if you can too. I struggled the first night I played it gave me eyestrain. Now I love it and have to pull myself away from it, and that's just when hotlapping or doing hot stints.

Back