PS4 Pro Will Give F1 2017 a Major Boost

Maybe it's just me, but I can't say there is much much improvement in the F1 series as we speak about graphics. I always feel like the picture is more a painting then photorealistic.

Last edited:
I didn't buy F1 game in ages, if they can keep 60 fps on PS4 Pro I might buy it, but pCars2 and GTS are around the corner so maybe wait for a price drop will be better idea

It should be solid given that they are only aiming for twice the number of pixels on the Pro and they mentioned how they will be using FP16 to improve performance in another article I read. Hopefully DigitalFoundry will have a video up around release day.

Last edited:
Seems the tearing is all over the place? Didn't play the game but every review mentions it and even Digital Foundry talks about it in their Enhanced Xbox One X Games.

I'm normally very irritated by crappy frame-rates (e.g. in Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3), but in F1 2016/2017 I only notice the tearing in out-of-race cut-scenes, such as when your manager or engineer talks to you, or you're sitting in the pits and the camera moves around slowly. During the races, I didn't really notice any performance problems. Maybe they're there briefly, but the scenery shoots by so damn quickly, that I don't notice when a frame drops every now and then.

I have a Pro and I've also only noticed tearing in some of the pre-session cutscenes, at Melbourne it feels like the game drops a few frames as you approach the braking zone at the end of sector 1. I also noticed LOD issues with the trees in one of my early sessions, they would appear pixelated at a relatively close distance but I haven't noticed that for a while.

I have a Pro and I've also only noticed tearing in some of the pre-session cutscenes, at Melbourne it feels like the game drops a few frames as you approach the braking zone at the end of sector 1. I also noticed LOD issues with the trees in one of my early sessions, they would appear pixelated at a relatively close distance but I haven't noticed that for a while.
Yep the same over here. I have not tried it myself yet but maybe when you turn off the PSPro boost option the screen tearing cutscenes are gone?

Yep the same over here. I have not tried it myself yet but maybe when you turn off the PSPro boost option the screen tearing cutscenes are gone?
I always thought Pro patches override boost mode, I never disable it. I'll have to give turning it off a try.

EDIT: The game appears the same to me and I did notice screen tearing in the cutscenes.

Last edited:
Even with all the patches, we still have screen tearing during races. This is running PS4 Pro on a 4k HDR 65" Sony TV. Gets pretty annoying actually. Seems to happen a lot in S-bends when flicking from left to right / right to left at moderate to high speeds.

Back