PS5 DD Advice Needed

• Thread starter slthree
  • 23 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
I have been using a Playseat Challenge with a CSL Elite Wheel happily for a couple years.

I have been considering a DD wheel for some time. Since the USB port on my CSL elite doesn't work, it's time for me to make the move.

I'm guessing the DD1 from FANATEC is what I'm going to get.

1. What is the smallest profile rig I can get that can accommodate that wheel base?

I believe somebody mentioned in a thread once that the Playseat Challenge could handle it but I'm a little nervous about that.

2. Would I need to get new pedals? My current pedals are the ones I got the CSL Elite bundle and I added the load cell brake.

Last edited:
I have been using a Playseat Challenge with a CSL Elite Wheel happily for a couple years.

I have been considering a DD wheel for some time. Since the USB port on my CSL elite doesn't work, it's time for me to make the move.

1. What is the smallest profile rig I can get that can accommodate that wheel base?

I believe somebody mentioned in a thread once that the Playseat Challenge could handle it but I'm a little nervous about that.

2. Would I need to get new pedals? My current pedals are the ones I got the CSL Elite bundle and I added the load cell brake.
I don't think the Playseat Challenge would handle a DD1 and personally I wouldn't even try. Have you considered waiting for the CSL DD? I know sometimes that just isn't an option.... because downtime sucks.

As far as smallest profile rig, I'd get the largest most stable profile rig I could possibly afford, to the point of stretching my budget to it's absolute limit to futureproof myself. Not real helpful I know but just my thoughts :)

I don't think the Playseat Challenge would handle a DD1 and personally I wouldn't even try. Have you considered waiting for the CSL DD? I know sometimes that just isn't an option.... because downtime sucks.

As far as smallest profile rig, I'd get the largest most stable profile rig I could possibly afford, to the point of stretching my budget to it's absolute limit to futureproof myself. Not real helpful I know but just my thoughts :)
My intention was to wait for the CSL DD but when I watch racing videos on YouTube and when I watch real racing on TV it makes me want to race and I can't race with a controller.

It's funny you even mention that because I went to pre-order and then at the last minute realized it's not for the PlayStation yet

Last edited:
Have you considered trying to get the USB port fixed? That would give you some time to see what the CSL DD PS version is like when it comes out near the end of the year.

Have you considered trying to get the USB port fixed? That would give you some time to see what the CSL DD PS version is like when it comes out near the end of the year.
I pulled the wheelbase off the Playseat and next I'm going to open it up to see if it's something simple like a wire that's frayed.

Beyond that, I don't know what else to do in terms of fixing it.

I pulled the wheelbase off the Playseat and next I'm going to open it up to see if it's something simple like a wire that's frayed.

Beyond that, I don't know what else to do in terms of fixing it.
If you have a multimeter you may be able to test if the connector is faulty, if it is you could get it replaced, might even be worth asking Fanatec how much to fix.

I’d suggest 80/20 profile rigs (if you really go the DD route). Like the younger brothers of the Sim-lab P1-X and/or from Trakracer, if you don’t go for the big brothers. Just atleast something strong. Playseat Challenge will have to much flex for sure.

Maybe if you want to upgrade pedals go for Clubsport Pedals V3 or Heusinkveld Sprints or something familiar.

Just some suggestions.

Last edited:

I ran my DD1 with Xbox One X for a while and it was good enough. I finally got tired of the hardware limitations on consoles and switched to PC, but the DD1, or now the CSL DD would be the only console options in DD. The new CSL DD is probably your best bang for buck DD option as it comes in at less than 50% of the DD1 and should provide PLENTY of torque at 8Nm. I might reach like 10Nm on my DD1 and that is near enough to make your arms hurt after a while. Even with the CSL DD you will need a proper profile rig, I have the Sim Lab (great company) GT1-EVO, and its at lower end of the cost spectrum of 80/20 rigs at around $500, but still a great rig, plenty rigid enough for any DD, and it takes up the least amount of room. The TrackRacer TR80 is almost identical but a bit more expensive. You will need to add a seat to these though, I got my seat from CARiD for like $150 and it came with a slider mount and reclines. Check the used market if you want a non-adjustable racing seat. If your pedals are RJ12 they should still work with both the DD1 and CSL DD. Any of the tubular rigs will flex too much and you will regret it if you progress in the hobby further, the expansion and customization options with 80/20 rigs are almost limitless. For example, I recently added a swiveling keyboard tray, a mouse tray, a cupholder, and put the entire rig on casters. Good luck!

Thank you so far for the suggestions. I do think the 8NM DD wheel should be enough. Can't wait for that announcement.

FANATEC has been great with communication but the only step they can recommend is to ship the based to them to repair.

I'm going to have my father in law see if he can fix it. He's s retired elevator man and he knows engines and electronics.

The issue though, is connector related and not wiring. The black nub in the middle of the port on the wheelbase gets pushed in when I try to plug in to it.

Then, when I remove the cord, the nub guess back to where is supposed to be.

Thank you so far for the suggestions. I do think the 8NM DD wheel should be enough. Can't wait for that announcement.

FANATEC has been great with communication but the only step they can recommend is to ship the based to them to repair.

I'm going to have my father in law see if he can fix it. He's s retired elevator man and he knows engines and electronics.

The issue though, is connector related and not wiring. The black nub in the middle of the port on the wheelbase gets pushed in when I try to plug in to it.

Then, when I remove the cord, the nub guess back to where is supposed to be.
With current shipping dates of the NON PS compatible CSL DD unit being now around mid November I would guess the earliest you could hope for a PS compatible version would be at best case scenario sometime in December.

Fanatec did make their official announcement sound like the PS version would be available to order or at least maybe to pre order before years end.
They did not give any other information as to pricing, actual availability date or whether such unit would require a specific base/wheel bundle as the prior PS units have required.

Good luck on repairing your current wheel in the meantime. I always have made it a habit to hang on to rather than sell my prior unit just as back up if the need ever arose. The peace of mind knowing something was in reserve always outweighed the extra dollars the old set up would bring just in case of a situation like you are facing now.

Actually once my CSL DD arrives my current CSL Elite unit will join my CSL Loadcell pedals (I upgraded the pedals last year to the v3's) in a backup role.

I will then try to sell my Logitech g29 set up stored in its original box that has been my back up set to someone local just starting out in sim racing looking for a reasonable wheel to get started on.

Last edited:
Thank you everybody for your contribution to this thread. It's why I love this forum.

Thought I would close the loop on this. Since it was out of warranty fanatec asked me to ship it to them, not to Germany but to their California shop.

They charge $39 per half hour of repair and I figured there was no way I was getting out of there with anything less than an hour. When I took it to ship, it was $78 one way. Add all that up and I could buy a new CSL Elite. Lol!

I took it to a local "ifixit" store just for kicks and I was shocked that he said he could fix it. And, he did! I was able to play PC2 last night for the 1st time in a long time.

Have you considered the new DD wheel for $350? You could use the same pedals (I love mine personally). I would give the DD wheel a test spin on your current rig first just to see how it does. Then look into a new rig only if necessary. #mytwocents

Jerome

Have you considered the new DD wheel for $350? You could use the same pedals (I love mine personally). I would give the DD wheel a test spin on your current rig first just to see how it does. Then look into a new rig only if necessary. #mytwocents

Jerome
That's exactly what I plan to do, is buy the new CSL DD wheel when they make it available for PlayStation.

My fear is that I'll wish I bought the dd1 though.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I plan to do, is by the new CSL DD wheel when they make it available for PlayStation.

My fear is that I'll wish I bought the dd1 though.
I have my DD2 wheel at like 50% or something like that. It's perfectly powerful imo. I think you'll be happy with it :)

Jerome

I have my DD2 wheel at like 50% or something like that. It's perfectly powerful imo. I think you'll be happy with it 🙂

Jerome
Happy with the DD1 or with the CSL DD?

I don't think I'll ever need to go to 20nm but I might wish I had more than 8?

If you're running at 50% you're around 12 or 13, right?

Happy with the CSL DD :) I took a peek and I'm at 35% right now, so that like 10-ish?

Jerome

Happy with the CSL DD 🙂 I took a peek and I'm at 35% right now, so that like 10-ish?

Jerome
I have the F1 DD1 and was just recently monitoring the maximum newton meter force during driving, comparing two of my presets (one with force feedback linearity ‘on’ and the other ‘off’). The highest peak that I saw was 7.5 Nm. I know it’s all relative but I consider this to be about the max limit that won’t wear me out on my 35cm wheel. Also if I raise it higher than this I am doing more muscling of the wheel and slowing my lap times.

Last edited:
I have the F1 DD1 and was just recently monitoring the maximum newton meter force during driving, comparing two of my presets (one with forced linearity ‘on’ and the other ‘off’). The highest peak that I saw was 7.5 Nm. I know it’s all relative but I consider this to be about the max limit that won’t wear me out on my 35cm wheel. Also if I raise it higher than this I am doing more muscling of the wheel and slowing my lap times.
Thank you for taking the time to post this. Thank you in a big way.

I had my CSL Elite fixed and I'm gonna hang on until the announce a CSL DD for PlayStation.

Thank you everybody for your contribution to this thread. It's why I love this forum.

Thought I would close the loop on this. Since it was out of warranty fanatec asked me to ship it to them, not to Germany but to their California shop.

They charge $39 per half hour of repair and I figured there was no way I was getting out of there with anything less than an hour. When I took it to ship, it was $78 one way. Add all that up and I could buy a new CSL Elite. Lol!

I took it to a local "ifixit" store just for kicks and I was shocked that he said he could fix it. And, he did! I was able to play PC2 last night for the 1st time in a long time.
Thank you for taking the time to post this. Thank you in a big way.

I had my CSL Elite fixed and I'm gonna hang on until the announce a CSL DD for PlayStation.
Was it the USB port that was faulty?

I have the F1 DD1 and was just recently monitoring the maximum newton meter force during driving, comparing two of my presets (one with force feedback linearity ‘on’ and the other ‘off’). The highest peak that I saw was 7.5 Nm. I know it’s all relative but I consider this to be about the max limit that won’t wear me out on my 35cm wheel. Also if I raise it higher than this I am doing more muscling of the wheel and slowing my lap times.
A lot of times I feel like I have to choose to A) have fun or B) maximize lap times with these wheelbases.

Jerome

A lot of times I feel like I have to choose to A) have fun or B) maximize lap times with these wheelbases. Jerome
Man Jerome, you hit the nail on the head with that statement. I have only turned the force feedback to the upper limit once. It’s a real arm wrestling competition. Fun but pointless. For the most part I am fastest with low force feedback 5 to 6 Nm but I leave it in the 7 range because I just like that feel. To take it a step further, I typically race with ABS off. This makes me 1 to 2 seconds slower on most tracks but after all, I am doing this for my enjoyment!

Last edited:
Man Jerome, you hit the nail on the head with that statement. I have only turned the force feedback to the upper limit once. It’s a real arm wrestling competition. Fun but pointless. For the most part I am fastest with low force feedback 5 to 6 Nm but I leave it in the 7 range because I just like that feel. To take it a step further, I typically race with ABS off. This makes me 1 to 2 seconds slower on most tracks but after all, I am doing this for my enjoyment!
Thats really what matters buddy 👍

Jerome

Latest Posts

Back