PS5 Owners... are you happy?

• Thread starter TypeRDC5
  • 34 comments
United Kingdom
Silverstone
Hi all,

I finally got my hands on a PS5 last week.

Loving the system itself and the silky smooth 60 fps on my old PS4 games but my enthusiasm changed once I played my first PS5 game, the PS5 version of Wreckfest, the coil whine is horrendous for a console and the disc drive when installing a game is even louder than the PS4 :/

Does anyone else feel a little disappointed with the system? Seems like they cheaper out on some parts and really takes the shine of hardware.

I would sell it and wait for a revision without this noise but I already sold my PS4 so not so practical, Google tells me Sony does accept coil whine under warranty but its a lottery as the new console they send out might have it even worse than my current one.

Sounds like a common complaint this coil whine. I would certainly not be happy with it myself.

Last edited:
I'm happy with mine. Coil whine isn't a thing on mine and the fan is almost silent. It's no where near as loud as my 'drown out a space shuttle at launch' base PS4. The disc drive is about the same as my old PS4 but I don't use it much and I've learnt to make sure that when I do use it I eject the disc afterwards so I don't get the randomly occurring drive noise.

Guess I’ve been one of the more lucky ones as mine hasn’t had any kind of coil whine. Dead silent the majority of the time. I did have instances where discs would sometimes spin and get a bit loud but that seems to have been fixed in one of the firmware patches and now it hardly does it at all when playing games from disc. All in all extremely happy with the upgrade, mind you I skipped the PS4 Pro and was previously on a PS4 slim model. The rock solid 60 fps on games that I used to experience slowdowns on on the slim, as well as the benefit of the higher resolution options that the Pro offered have made it a more substantial upgrade for me personally. Excited to see what the future holds this gen.

Interesting read so far, are you guys playing any PS5 versions of games?

All my ps4 backwards compatible games play without any coil whine and the system is quiet as it can be but as soon as I fire up the PS5 version of wreckfest the coil whine is loud and annoying.

Maybe I just got unlucky with my console.

Interesting read so far, are you guys playing any PS5 versions of games?

All my ps4 backwards compatible games play without any coil whine and the system is quiet as it can be but as soon as I fire up the PS5 version of wreckfest the coil whine is loud and annoying.

Maybe I just got unlucky with my console.
I've been playing both. There's no discernible difference with mine whether it's the PS5 or PS4 version of Wreckfest... except for gameplay smoothness and loading times of course. The PS5 remains as quiet as a mouse with both.

Last edited:
The first and only time I've heard coil whine was when I inadvertently instructed Godot to run a nearly empty scene at a zillion FPS on my new laptop because Vsync was off. I'm pretty shocked if it's really a thing happening with any PS5s.

The coil whine issue is specific to the disc version of the hardware unfortunately and can vary from user to user experience.

I have the digital version of the console which eliminates the problem as you do not have the 'whir' of the CD's running in the machine, there is a video on YouTube of someone invalidating their warranty to fix the coil whine but not something I would recommend.

Seems I got unlucky then. Hesitant to return it to Sony as they will just send out another launch model that may be better or may be worse, plus it seems I have the 'good fan' according to google so don't wana run the risk of the replacement being the 'bad fan'.

Think I will put up with it until the 12 month warranty is nearly up and ask for a replacement then.

Very disappointed i have to say.

The coil whine issue is specific to the disc version of the hardware unfortunately and can vary from user to user experience.

Sadly it's not exclusive to the disc version, I've got a digital one that has coil whine, it's caused by the GPU so I'm not sure the disc drive would make much difference. It seems to be getting less intrusive as time goes on though, at launch it was really bad but nowadays I have to really listen for it

Last edited:
It's not, I've got a digital one that has coil whine, it's caused by the GPU so the disc drive shouldn't make any difference. It seems to be getting less intrusive as time goes on though, at launch it was really bad but nowadays I have to really listen for it

That's interesting, mine has made no sound whatsoever from Day 1 so I guess this shows how variable the issue is that no one's having the same experience with it.

Perhaps I do not experience this because none of my consoles are 'vertical' position and never will be but I do see a lot of gamers put it vertical position and a vote on PushSquare last year had 48% vertical and 25% horizontal on the coil whine.

Will be interesting to see if the 'changed' model that's coming next year affects the issue of coil while for new users.

Last edited:
Apart from the disc drive being loud when installing a game no real noise from mine.My console sits on a wooden cabinet,when installing a game it sounded pretty loud,like a buzzing sort of noise but if i put my hand on top of the console it made it somewhat quieter so i put a cloth on the cabinet surface and sat the ps5 on a rubber mouse mat.The buzzy noise is still there but nowhere near as bad,overall,im pretty chuffed with my ps5.Some of my ps5 games are disc some are digital.Once im into a game i dont really notice the disc spinning up any more.
As for coil whine i might add i suffer with mild tinnitus so maybe that masks any coil whine from my console,after the last update the disc drive spinning up every so often has been noticibly quieter,even to me.As FPV MIC does i also remove the disc from the machine if im not playing that game.👍

That's interesting, mine has made no sound whatsoever from Day 1 so I guess this shows how variable the issue is that no one's having the same experience with it.

Perhaps I do not experience this because none of my consoles are 'vertical' position and never will be but I do see a lot of gamers put it vertical position and a vote on PushSquare last year had 48% vertical and 25% horizontal on the coil whine.

Will be interesting to see if the 'changed' model that's coming next year affects the issue of coil while for new users.

If that survey is right then I'm in the minority as mine is laying horizontal too. Damn it! :lol:
Overall I'm happy with the console though. I only really got it so I could play my PS4 games in 4K as my old PS4 was getting a bit wheezy, the main thing that I've been doing is going through the games I didn't play in the Plus Collection. Any PS5 games have just been a bonus at this point. The controller is also seriously impressive.

If that survey is right then I'm in the minority as mine is laying horizontal too. Damn it! :lol:
Overall I'm happy with the console though. I only really got it so I could play my PS4 games in 4K as my old PS4 was getting a bit wheezy, the main thing that I've been doing is going through the games I didn't play in the Plus Collection. Any PS5 games have just been a bonus at this point. The controller is also seriously impressive.

Well that's unfortunate. I will be kinda curious to see about the coil noise as my brother and nephew are still 'hunting' PS5's so will be interested to see if this issue affects them and the way they position the console.

My PS4 makes more noise than anything in my flat as it's also a 1st generation model so that I suppose is to be expected. :lol:

Yeah the controller is definitely the best thing about the new console, in some cases too good as I was playing a game Gal Gun recently and the controller was way too precise for the control system in the game so I ended up failing and having to play it on my PS4 but that's not on topic...:cheers:

Sadly it's not exclusive to the disc version, I've got a digital one that has coil whine, it's caused by the GPU so I'm not sure the disc drive would make much difference. It seems to be getting less intrusive as time goes on though, at launch it was really bad but nowadays I have to really listen for it

Positive news if yours has got better over time, the warranty is for a year so thinking to put up with it for 6 months in the hope it gets better and can always send it back then if its got no better.

I have a ps5, makes some noice when booting up. Let me tell you: I am Happy!!!!

love the console, too bad not much next gen games. But coming from a base ps4 it is still really, really awesome.

Happy i tell ya, Happy! Go see it. It’s a great crazy tv show!

I came from a base PS4 so I’m happy. It’s pretty quiet most of the time, the only thing that makes noise is the disc drive.

I am happy with my PS5. I don't have the whine on mine. Before the patch it used to make a lot of noise playing disks. Sometimes it would wake my wife up I was playing in the bedroom. I skipped the entire PS4 generation so going form a PS3 to a 5 is a big step up. Right now I have more ps4 games as I have been buying games that I missed out on. I have a few games for ps5 versions of some games and I enjoy them.

Mine's been pretty quiet other than the disc drive. That can get relatively loud, but I don't mind.

One interesting thing I noticed kind of randomly is that I can use my TV remote to operate the PS5. I can use it to sign in where it says to press the PS5 controller button and to scroll and operate the menus. I haven't really checked much else, but thought it was a bit odd as I don't remember setting anything up. It just worked. I was wondering if the remote operates using bluetooth, but I didn't see any devices other than the controller in the menu.

Hi all,

I finally got my hands on a PS5 last week.

Loving the system itself and the silky smooth 60 fps on my old PS4 games but my enthusiasm changed once I played my first PS5 game, the PS5 version of Wreckfest, the coil whine is horrendous for a console and the disc drive when installing a game is even louder than the PS4 :/

Does anyone else feel a little disappointed with the system? Seems like they cheaper out on some parts and really takes the shine of hardware.

I would sell it and wait for a revision without this noise but I already sold my PS4 so not so practical, Google tells me Sony does accept coil whine under warranty but its a lottery as the new console they send out might have it even worse than my current one.
The only problem.. some problems I had is the 814 Euro price tag due to lack of stock in shops and that it doesn't fit on the shelf.
I'm also sad that they removed the optical out for sound as I had my PS4 connected to a 5.1 sound system directly, but now the sound goes through the TV first and this adds a small sound delay. A PS VR system adds even more sound delay that is noticeable so I have switch cables if I want to play VR or normally.

It's quiet, looks good and works good. I'm happy =)
I can't hear any coil whine from it. The disc drive can be heard but it's not as loud as my PS4 was. I can hear my Wi-Fi router working though))
c77CbC-mS_o.jpg

l2OGRXwLBxU.jpg

74I9H5YQvns.jpg

Vo0twhQ3w2U.jpg

-Ma67X8YwXA.jpg

Last edited:
Very happy with mine - have hardly gone back to the PS4 since snagging one in June. Have played both PS3 and PS4 games on it. My only complaint is with the lack of folders but the PS4 had that issue at first also, so I'm hoping an update will come at some point - and the need to play from an install on the main drive is a bit weird but I'm living with it.

I am also very happy with my PS5. I don't have any coil whine and it works like a charm. I am also very satisfied with games. Returnal, ratchet and clank and Spider Man are great titles and next year looks even better with Horizon, GT7 and God Of War. So yeah I am very excited with this console.

Oh and my kid absolutely loves Astrobot :D

The only problem.. some problems I had is the 814 Euro price tag due to lack of stock in shops and that it doesn't fit on the shelf.
I'm also sad that they removed the optical out for sound as I had my PS4 connected to a 5.1 sound system directly, but now the sound goes through the TV first and this adds a small sound delay. A PS VR system adds even more sound delay that is noticeable so I have switch cables if I want to play VR or normally.

It's quiet, looks good and works good. I'm happy =)
I can't hear any coil whine from it. The disc drive can be heard but it's not as loud as my PS4 was. I can hear my Wi-Fi router working though))
c77CbC-mS_o.jpg

l2OGRXwLBxU.jpg

74I9H5YQvns.jpg

Vo0twhQ3w2U.jpg

-Ma67X8YwXA.jpg
I thought the ds5 had a touch screen,not just a pad? Weird i must dreamed it.
If you're happy and you know it tap your feet..
Lol hay ok, im out.
Edit: on a more serious note, one thing im waiting for is reasonable prices on ssds, 1000$ us for a 4t is a little insane. And for me i need that at minimum.
Hoping in 2 or 3 years time prices might go near 350$ or something.
And possibly a pro with a bigger original ssd too.

Last edited:
Back