PS5 release. When? Hoping sooner than later. Wait or not?

• Thread starter davidt33
  • 12 comments
Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain
davidtsmith333
When will it release? "Holiday 2020" in the US, says Sony, so between October and December 2020.

I was wondering if there was a possibility that "Holiday 2020" could be Summer holiday (around August) rather than later: Christmas holiday (December).
I'm really looking forward to the release and planning on buying it but not sure if to wait, depending on how long it will take to release.
The thing is this. I suspect my PS4 may be malfunctioning (intermittent disconnection issues accompanied with loud fan). So the plan was to wait and purchase the PS5 but with the current PS4 issues I don't know if I can wait too long as I'll miss my gaming (Sim racing: Pcars2, Wreckfest mainly).

I'm even contemplating whether for the time being whether or not to purchase a replacement PS4 or preferably a PS4 Pro (and preferably new) so I can continue racing....or wait until such time as the PS5 release. Really a conundrum. It's not like I have loads of money to spare but I'm really missing being able to race without the intermittent disconnections which are very frustrating when happens.

Anyway, I really came on to ask what y'all think, if it may be released around Summer holidays rather that Christmas holidays. What y'all think? And what should I do?

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps5-release-date-news-and-features-1213409

Last edited:
I would buy a nearly new second hand PS4 Pro, (the most up to date version with the quiet fan), and then not jump into the next gen for 3 years. That way, you've done a few positive things:

1. Got a better console for a good price.
2. Not wasted loads of money on a new generation release that has hardly any games you want to play.
3. Given the chance of any early gen hardware bugs to be ironed out.
4. Given yourself enough time to find out if a mid gen console refresh is going to happen.

But before anything else I would learn how to open your PS4 and clean it out, it could be full of dust and grime which if your lucky is the cause of your problems.. :)

I would buy a nearly new second hand PS4 Pro, (the most up to date version with the quiet fan), and then not jump into the next gen for 3 years. That way, you've done a few positive things:

2. Not wasted loads of money on a new generation release that has hardly any games you want to play.
4. Given yourself enough time to find out if a mid gen console refresh is going to happen.

But before anything else I would learn how to open your PS4 and clean it out, it could be full of dust and grime which if your lucky is the cause of your problems.. :)

PS5 will have backwards compatibility so you could play all PS4 titles in it.
Also PS5 is compatible with PSVR, so it will return a better quality with the new graphic card.

Bugs in PS5 is a lot harder to happen in comparison with PS4, PS3, etc... because the system is an evolution with the same base than PS4, not the change from ps2 to ps3 or from ps3 to ps4 which forced to rewrite almost all the code.

A PS5 for about 500$ (if confirmed) with backwards compatibility, SSD HD and Real time Raytracing is a great console for a good price.

I was actually considering that. Saw one offered from a guy who buys used consoles from other people to resell. It was going to be about $600 cheaper. He said the owner said it was approx 2-4 months old. Thing is I'm not too sure if to take the chance being it was not the resellers own, how credible the previous owner may be and why or how come the previous owner was selling it. Maybe it had some issue or something I dunno. And then I'm sure the reseller would have been adding in some cost to make a profit. It's a little chancy. I think I would have felt not as worried if it was being offered directly from the previous owner to have direct communication and inquire as to whatever.

As for my PS4 I had previously, some months ago, gotten my console cleaned out and fan replaced by a repair shop because the console had overheated (accompanied with overheating message on screen). The replacement fan wasn't an original PS4 fan though but a substitute. It helped for a while but the intermittent loud fan and disconnections still occur.

Last edited:
I was wondering if there was a possibility that "Holiday 2020" could be Summer holiday
No.

Capital H "holiday" is a very specific part of the calendar. It refers to the time from Thanksgiving (the fourth Thursday in November) to New Year's Day.

I was actually considering that. Saw one offered from a guy who buys used consoles from other people to resell. It was going to be about $600 cheaper. He said the owner said it was approx 2-4 months old. Thing is I'm not too sure if to take the chance being it was not the resellers own, how credible the previous owner may be and why or how come the previous owner was selling it. Maybe it had some issue or something I dunno. And then I'm sure the reseller would have been adding in some cost to make a profit. It's a little chancy. I think I would have felt not as worried if it was being offered directly from the previous owner to have direct communication and inquire as to whatever.

As for my PS4 I had previously, some months ago, gotten my console cleaned out and fan replaced by a repair shop because the console had overheated (accompanied with overheating message on screen). The replacement fan wasn't an original PS4 fan though but a substitute. It helped for a while but the intermittent loud fan and disconnections still occur.

Well it sounds like you can only sell your PS4 as faulty so do it, cut your losses ?

I'm sure there must be people local to you selling their own console that you could view, listen to whilst running, feel for temperature etc then make a judgement ? If you find someone who has had it for a few months but then wants to sell it's normally because, it was an impulse buy - gaming isn't for them, or they couldn't afford to buy it in the first place and need the money for something else urgently.

Or couldn't you buy it from a game store with some level of guarantee ?

Last edited:
I still hopefully will get news on the PS5 or maybe due to the virus Sony is waiting to announce it over a livestream.

But right now Holiday 2020 may turn into Q1 2021 if things are how they are now.

I still hopefully will get news on the PS5 or maybe due to the virus Sony is waiting to announce it over a livestream.

But right now Holiday 2020 may turn into Q1 2021 if things are how they are now.
Yeah that's definitely a concern. Would surely kill the anticipation.

I can see both consoles missing 2020 due to Coronavirus to be honest.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, considering how much the developers rely on labour and whatever parts from China etc. I can't see how they'ed be making their quota. Plus Sony has already postponed a number of events most likely because of. And this was even before the Corona virus hit.

I've pretty much via process of elimination diagnosed that my intermittent disconnections and whatnot is due to my PS4 console failing. I don't think I could wait for the PS5 releasing towards the end of the year or who knows when...most likely going over to 2021. I think I'll just bite the bullet and purchase a new console, perhaps the PS4 Slim so I can at least have my racing fix until and then when the PS5 finally is released I'll buy it whenever and sell the PS4 Slim. That might be the best bet.

@davidt33 -- Just to share some feedback I can give on the Slim model, I've had mine since autumn 2017 and have had no notable issues with networking (connected via ethernet), other than the OS being dog slow as it always is in displaying things, and no complaint about fan noise or heat.

@davidt33 -- Just to share some feedback I can give on the Slim model, I've had mine since autumn 2017 and have had no notable issues with networking (connected via ethernet), other than the OS being dog slow as it always is in displaying things, and no complaint about fan noise or heat.
@davidt33 I second what @Wolfe said, I've had my slim since launch with no problems whatsoever. Its quiet.
Just an update: The PS4 I'd been using was the Standard (Old model, 500GB). That's what was giving problems with disconnections and such. I'd pretty much recently suspected the disconnections may have had to do due to the PS4 failing (maybe something electrical board-wise or whatever) and not the Fanatec racing wheel.

Well today I made a bold move to purchase a new PS4...the Slim 1TB version. Have it set up already and currently doing some testing. So far so good. No intermittent loud/roaring fan nor disconnections. Keeping fingers crossed.

Back