PS5's lifespan only last up to 5 years?

• Thread starter GTxForza
  • 33 comments
Well it's much like the last generation, budget consoles that only lasted half a traditional lifespan that needed to be replaced by upgraded models.

I think this is probably the new normal now, unless they release $600+ consoles which would be a very hard sell in these current times.

Well it's much like the last generation, budget consoles that only lasted half a traditional lifespan that needed to be replaced by upgraded models.

I think this is probably the new normal now, unless they release $600+ consoles which would be a very hard sell in these current times.

5 years seems short for a console generation. Most likely be a mid gen upgrade likenthe Pro and X.

I felt bitter after reading these PS5 rumours, along with Xbox's image going downhill.

I think its just the new normal. Which makes the Xbox Series X come off worse imo as that won't have any exclusive for the first 2 years. Sony I could understand it a little more but again I think it should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Make sense, Pro and X weren't all that successful. With one or two years for crossgen games its perfectly fine.

Which makes the Xbox Series X come off worse imo as that won't have any exclusive for the first 2 years.

I think maybe because the Series X has more power it might have slightly more longevity, so maybe the 2 years lost at the start could be a 2 year gain at the end.

I think maybe because the Series X has more power it might have slightly more longevity, so maybe the 2 years lost at the start could be a 2 year gain at the end.

Potentially, but is it that big a power gap?

Personally I still dont understand the lack of console exclusives, its really not going to help sell consoles.

Potentially, but is it that big a power gap?

Personally I still dont understand the lack of console exclusives, its really not going to help sell consoles.

For Xbox Series X's first parties, they all appeared to be shared in between its console or PC, while most of PS5's first parties will be exclusive to the console.

For Xbox Series X's first parties, they all appeared to be shared in between its console or PC, while most of PS5's first parties will be exclusive to the console.

Yeah this is what I mean. Not much incentive to jump straight up to a Series X. Especially if its the exclusives you're interested in, any word on exclusive 3rd party titles?

A 300 Mhz CPU and 1.72 TFLOPs GPU increase is nothing to be scoffed at. Just the GPU figure alone is like having another whole extra Xbox One onboard!

Oh yeah I know its not to be scoffed at but is it going to get utilised properly with cross gen gaming and will it translate to a tangible difference. I guess that remains to be seen. I just not sure that there's going to be enough to justify another mid cycle upgrade but yeah I guess we'll start finding out soon.

Oh yeah I know its not to be scoffed at but is it going to get utilised properly with cross gen gaming and will it translate to a tangible difference. I guess that remains to be seen. I just not sure that there's going to be enough to justify another mid cycle upgrade but yeah I guess we'll start finding out soon.

It may not make much difference, especially in the early years and especially with 3rd party dev's but it might become useful towards the later half of it's life cycle when they are trying to eek out every drop of power. I could see 1st party dev's making use of it though.

8K TVs are a long way off so I don't see a pro edition this time around... I do think generations will blur more with user retention being a big deal so maybe a new console will emerge earlier but there will be a longer crossover period with games released at varying graphical fidelity across generations... Playstation enabled streaming TVs might be the way it goes depending on network upgrades (6G?) wonder how many console generations are left?

Yeah this is what I mean. Not much incentive to jump straight up to a Series X. Especially if its the exclusives you're interested in, any word on exclusive 3rd party titles?

For exclusive 3rd party titles, I'm unsure about what it will be for the future.

To be honest. I don't believe this articles. Another clickbait.

Remember. PS3 was supposed to be last gen of consoles, then PS4 was supposed to be the last.

Every generation there are cheap articles trying to convince people that the next gen will be shorter/last one etc. I don't believe it anymore.

Anyone who believes crap like this is easily led in extremis. It is very silly to believe anything outside of an official announcement as legitimate in anyway. 👎

Lifetime of console? As long as there are games worth playing on it and no longer. The end.

I feel the opposite, a console like a ps5 i feel will be good enough for my satisfaction for a long while once i get it, as long as they optimize games well enough to run smoothly, cleanly on it.

Plus i can keep enjoying games I'll have on it even after a new console comes along. As long as it's reliable, and that they make, and make accessible the greatest games, on it, and don't suddenly make more of them available, or a whole lot better on a new console.
Still enjoying the ps4.

“Needed to be upgraded” my 2013-vintage Xbox One still plays even the newest titles, who told you they needed to be upgraded?

“Needed to be upgraded” my 2013-vintage Xbox One still plays even the newest titles, who told you they needed to be upgraded?

Sony and MS did, companies aren't going to bother investing in designing and launching an upgraded system if there is no need and the existing ones were still flying off the shelves.

Last edited:
Sony and MS did, companies aren't going to bother investing in designing and launching an upgraded system if there is no need and the existing ones were still flying off the shelves.
And you believed them? Every single variant of PS4/XB1 will play even the latest games, save for VR-exclusives. Don’t take marketing at face value.

And you believed them? Every single variant of PS4/XB1 will play even the latest games, save for VR-exclusives. Don’t take marketing at face value.

Yeah but it plays them in much the same way the PS2 played the latest releases till 2014, i.e. compromised in some way, either graphically or functionally. Plus VR looks terrible on a base PS4, another reason why the Pro was green lit by Sony.

Yeah but it plays them in much the same way the PS2 played the latest releases till 2014, i.e. compromised in some way, either graphically or functionally. Plus VR looks terrible on a base PS4, another reason why the Pro was green lit by Sony.
...no. There were no first party AAA titles on the PS2 after about 2006. Anything after was budget indie stuff. Even the latest 2020 PS4 and XB1 AAA titles will play just fine on the vanilla consoles. Again, don’t take marketing shpeal as gospel.

...no. There were no first party AAA titles on the PS2 after about 2006. Anything after was budget indie stuff. Even the latest 2020 PS4 and XB1 AAA titles will play just fine on the vanilla consoles. Again, don’t take marketing shpeal as gospel.

Budget indie games? There were plenty of major releases on PS2 after 2006 from EA, Activision, Konami, Ubisoft, Square Enix, including 1st party AAA releases like Syphon Filter, Jak and Daxter, Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank, Twisted Metal as well as MLB games.

Playing fine is a relative term, it plays, but a console that's 4.5 times less powerful than its 'Pro' version will have an impact. At launch the PS4/XB1 had the equivalent power of a mid range gaming PC compared to the higher end generation before it.

Budget indie games? There were plenty of major releases on PS2 after 2006 from EA, Activision, Konami, Ubisoft, Square Enix, including 1st party AAA releases like Syphon Filter, Jak and Daxter, Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank, Twisted Metal as well as MLB games.

Playing fine is a relative term, it plays, but a console that's 4.5 times less powerful than its 'Pro' version will have an impact. At launch the PS4/XB1 had the equivalent power of a mid range gaming PC compared to the higher end generation before it.
The difference is they were specific ‘ps2’ versions of those games. You couldn’t take a ps3 disc and put it in your ps2. There is NO PS4/Pro-specific disc variants. A PS4 game is a PS4 game. It will work in both consoles. Just some games have a 4K mode for if you’re playing on a Pro. It will still work on a regular PS4.

Really just sounds like you’re trying to justify your purchase.

The difference is they were specific ‘ps2’ versions of those games. You couldn’t take a ps3 disc and put it in your ps2. There is NO PS4/Pro-specific disc variants. A PS4 game is a PS4 game. It will work in both consoles. Just some games have a 4K mode for if you’re playing on a Pro. It will still work on a regular PS4.

It's an analogy, for example, there were many PS2/PS3 cross gen games towards the end of the PS2's life, I would equate the difference seen between the PS2 and PS3 versions of those games to the differences seen between a game playing on the XB1 and XB1X. Of course the amount of difference varies by developer but they are in essence the same game.

Really just sounds like you’re trying to justify your purchase.

Justify my purchase? I never bought any of this generations consoles.

It's an analogy, for example, there were many PS2/PS3 cross gen games towards the end of the PS2's life, I would equate the difference seen between the PS2 and PS3 versions of those games to the differences seen between a game playing on the XB1 and XB1X. Of course the amount of difference varies by developer but they are in essence the same game.

A faulty analogy. A PS4 game is a PS4 game. A PS2 game is NOT a PS3 game.

Justify my purchase? I never bought any of this generations consoles.
Your wording seemed to imply you did, sorry.

A faulty analogy. A PS4 game is a PS4 game. A PS2 game is NOT a PS3 game

This isn't the same game?

81gIhTH5BkL._SY445_.jpg
813eWWH%2B2HL._AC_SX342_.jpg

This isn't the same game?

81gIhTH5BkL._SY445_.jpg
813eWWH%2B2HL._AC_SX342_.jpg
Nope, one is for the PS3 and the other is for the PS2. Generation-exclusive versions. Do you know how many PS4 Pro-exclusive titles there are? How many PS4 Pro discs are there that won’t work in a vanilla PS4?

Back