• 19 comments

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
Information for Thrustmaster, Logitech, and Fanatec users. And it's especially useful toward making karts much more manageable in-game.

The community has known we could change degrees of rotation on the G27 for a while now, no PC or profiler needed. Thanks to @OdeFinn for the original post on that here.

Just a combination of button presses on the wheel itself and you can change your lock from 240 to 900 degrees.

Unfortunately this doesn't do us any good because the G27 is not officially supported on the PS4.

But the basic idea carried on into other wheel maker designs. Like the latest Thrustmaster offerings. As with the Logitech wheel, one can change the in-game wheel lock instantly.

Here are instructions for the T300RS and the T150.

Hold the Mode button and Left or Right button on the D-Pad. Pressing left will decrease wheel lock, Right will increase it.

The red light next to mode will flash, the number of times it flashes will tell you which wheel lock setting you are in.

1 Flash = 270 degrees
2 Flashes = 360 degrees
3 flashes = 540 degrees
4 flashes = 900 degrees
5 flashes = 1080 degrees

GT Sport will change back to its original chosen wheel lock for your particular vehicle every time you start driving it again, even from the pause menu.

I run 1080 for the karts in GT Sport. Luckily I didn't have to hit the Right button four times every single time. You can also just hit the Left button once to cycle straight back into the 1080. I found 900 to be good too.

Although the track for the online Karting event in daily race 'A' required being as smooth as possible. Using the 1080 setting really allowed me to keep my input as gradual and minimal as possible.

I'm not sure if this works on the G29. I haven't been able to find the button combination to do it like with the 27. You needed the G27 shifter that came standard with the whrel to do it. The G29 does not include the shifter, one needs to buy it separately. Maybr the shifter would make this in-game adjustment possible.

The Fanatec CSL Elite allows you to change the wheel lock with the on-wheel adjustment controls, however I can not confirm this will apply over into GT Sport. Hopefully someone with the wheel can chime in.

thank you so much for this bit of info, I have been searching high and low for ways to change my lock. Any chance you know how to use the TH8A H pattern shifter ? :confused:

The Logitech G29 doesn't seem to have this option anymore or it's very well hidden. I've been trying forever to find the button combination needed for this but I've not been able to find anything about it anywhere. All I ever find is the button combination for the G27 which doesn't work on the G29 since the needed buttons don't excist anymore. I think it's only possible to change it on PC now, not on consoles.

Any chance you know how to use the TH8A H pattern shifter ? :confused:
Yes, you need to plug the TH8A into the PS4 via the USB lead, not the DIN into the wheel base. Once you've done this, press the clutch pedal and the game should recognise you're using an H shifter and you can use the clutch. You can automatically override manual gears by using the paddles, and vice versa to return to manual.
It's a bit of a "cack handed" approach, and I found (in the beta and demo alike), it's not the most responsive with many missed gear changes and false neutrals ! The clutch acts more like a switch rather than a progressive pedal (as in other games), and you need to depress the pedal almost to it's full travel to shift. As there's no pedal calibration / saturation adjustments, I find sticking to sequential mode more accurate, which is a pretty poor state of affairs for a supposedly "real driving simulator" in 2017 !

Has anyone figured out how to keep it from resetting? I want to set it at 360° and leave it there.

I'd much rather prefer it to auto set the DOR to the car you're using ! But hey ho, we have a nice shiny photo mode, with scapes instead !

Yes, you need to plug the TH8A into the PS4 via the USB lead, not the DIN into the wheel base. Once you've done this, press the clutch pedal and the game should recognise you're using an H shifter and you can use the clutch. You can automatically override manual gears by using the paddles, and vice versa to return to manual.
It's a bit of a "cack handed" approach, and I found (in the beta and demo alike), it's not the most responsive with many missed gear changes and false neutrals ! The clutch acts more like a switch rather than a progressive pedal (as in other games), and you need to depress the pedal almost to it's full travel to shift. As there's no pedal calibration / saturation adjustments, I find sticking to sequential mode more accurate, which is a pretty poor state of affairs for a supposedly "real driving simulator" in 2017 !
Okay thanks for the help! Now to find where i put that USB cord 💡

This is super disappointing to here. I can't believe the game doesn't auto-adjust the DoR automatically based on the car you in like most other sims do (PCARS, Assetto Corsa, and Dirt I know do this).

The work around is a start though. I've got no issues changing the DoR, but can I get some clarification on when exactly it resets? Where exactly in the menus or in-game should we be changing the rotation?

The work around is a start though. I've got no issues changing the DoR, but can I get some clarification on when exactly it resets? Where exactly in the menus or in-game should we be changing the rotation?

It resets any time you are not in control of the vehicle. Pausing, pit lane, retry, etc.

And you can only change the DOR when you are in control of car. Changing it during the race countdown works, but it resets as soon as the race starts. It annoying as hell.

It resets any time you are not in control of the vehicle. Pausing, pit lane, retry, etc.

And you can only change the DOR when you are in control of car. Changing it during the race countdown works, but it resets as soon as the race starts. It annoying as hell.
Wow, that is pretty ridiculous. Thanks for the clarification.

Has there been any indication whether this is intended behavior or a bug? It boggles my mind that a racing sim of any sorts would just default all vehicles to 900 degrees. With the focus GT Sport has made on race-trimmed vehicles, this is even more head-scratching.

This has seriously blown my mind. Thank you so much, Stigg, for pointing me to this thread, and Spoolpigeon for the valuable info.

I too spent hours... actually, days, searching high and low for an answer as to how the G29 will handle this.

I'm used to the 180º of my Driving Force™ (original!) wheel, but it's on its last legs, and now that I know this DoR thing hasn't been sorted in GTS, well, there'd be no point buying a PS4 and the game... and headset... until PD has addressed this farcical situation.

For crying out 'loud, PD, PLEASE FIX THIS! The second you do, I'll plunk down for a PS4, GTS, G29, headset, online subscription...

Wow, that is pretty ridiculous. Thanks for the clarification.

Has there been any indication whether this is intended behavior or a bug? It boggles my mind that a racing sim of any sorts would just default all vehicles to 900 degrees. With the focus GT Sport has made on race-trimmed vehicles, this is even more head-scratching.

GT Sport sets the DoR differently depending on the car. This is bad because not every car, like the karts set to 270, has an assigned DoR that is appropriate for it. This will hopefully be fixed for an update.

So to clarify, GT Sport does not default to 900 degrees of rotation for every vehicle, it sets it differently depending on the vehicle.

GT Sport will change back to its original chosen wheel lock for your particular vehicle every time you start driving it again, even from the pause menu.

GT Sport sets the DoR differently depending on the car. This is bad because not every car, like the karts set to 270, has an assigned DoR that is appropriate for it. This will hopefully be fixed for an update.

So to clarify, GT Sport does not default to 900 degrees of rotation for every vehicle, it sets it differently depending on the vehicle.
Well I'm an idiot and have now probably thoroughly confused MonkeyMan! Thanks for the clarification though. I totally missed the "for your particular vehicle" portion I emphasized above. I guess I'm back to being somewhat confused, because the DoR just seems way, way off on the few vehicles I've tried. The one that leaps to mind is the Ferrari 458 Gr4 around the larger Kyoto Driving Park track. Way more steering input was required than what would be in real life, most noticeable in that last really sharp turn right before the Start/Finish straight. I'm guessing perhaps this comes down to the fact that you mentioned not every car has a DoR that is appropriate. Has anyone compiled a list of cars that seem to have weird DoR's?

I did notice the karts were terrible though. What exactly is happening there?

Well I'm an idiot and have now probably thoroughly confused MonkeyMan!
Not at all, Stiggy. I mean, you're not an idiot, but I am confused.

Can I assume from this new clarification from @Wardez that if I were to jump into an F1 car down the track (I can only assume GTS will feature it or offer such cars at some stage), the appropriate DoR will be implemented?

Just asking 'cause for me something similar to what I'm used to is ideal for this. I mean, imagine trying to correct an F1 car with 900º! That'd be funny.

Anyway, having decided to wait until PD fixes an issue it apparently doesn't have to deal with... sort of... I think it best I hold out 'til there's absolute clarification on this regarding the G29. @Wardez didn't mention this wheel specifically and I need to be certain.

Also, I'd like to be able to adjust the G29 myself, and it seems the G27 combo-button approach is absent or yet to be discovered, so there's another thing to "wait" for...

Thank you again for trying to help, Stiggy. :cheers:

EDIT:
I'd also like to see PD's allowing one's chosen setting to "stick" in a race, across races and perhaps even across cars. Optionally, of course.

Last edited:
The game automatically changes ratio based on car. So if you force rotation in one car others may drive horrendous. Found this out the hard way when I stopped down the rotation on my fanatec. I just leave it on auto.

Basically it’s not possible unless you have the Fanatec CSL wheel.

Just got a new T150 Pro and finding out over the past few days that I can't suffer the large degree of rotation, and that GTS automatically resets it.

Tried lessening the rotation through the Thrustmaster software on my laptop but still GTS resets it after every tiny soft reset.

Understeer has been a massive problem for me in GTS for the past approximately 4 months. I got used to it eventually on a controller, although it took the fun away and only introduced frustration. So now the understeer and frustration is back again in the form of large rotation degree.

Is the Fanatec CSL indeed the only wheel that can override GTS? I would have to think about moving on this T150 if so, or moving on from GTS (which wouldn't be a bad thing).

I don't know (and think) that it is the only wheel, but with the CSL Elite you can adjust the lock ratio without the software knowing about it.
There is IMHO almost never an intention to do so. There is only one use case: When you are used to a track/car combo and switch to a different, more "understeery", less "agile" car. In this case I reduce the CSL "Sensitivity" from 900 (which corresponds to automatic) to about 840 to have an about equal reaction from the unfamiliar car.

Back