PSVR2 is Unusable Because of Motion Sickness. Puked.

• Thread starter Carl Sagan
  • 43 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany
Germany
I've been waiting for the PSVR2 since the day it is announced.

Then today used it with great excitement with GT7. Very impressive at first.

one minute of usage, at the second curve in nordschleife I was about to puke. My girlfriend had the same, too.

Now I read the other posts. Some advice that we should slowly do it, take a mazda, drive slowly, use ginger tablets whatever. etc etc.

If a 'warm up' is necessary to train the body, why is this not included in the game? Why isn't this done in a proper way where we can avoid motion sickness?

i feel so awful now after a few minutes. now me and gf just laying down at home in the bed with all windows open. i never played a game and had to puke afterwards.

something isn't right here.

I'm pretty sure there are warnings and disclaimers about the inherent risk of motion sickness, you may have breezed past them in your excitement. I'm not really seeing how this is Sony's fault.

I played GT7 for hours yesterday with zero issue. Oddly enough, it was Tetris that made me feel a tiny bit shaky. lol

Last edited:
You've been excited for PSVR2 that long, yet somehow missed every discussuon and warning and notice and post about how VR causes motion sickness? And how it has done for the past however many years in all its iterations?

This is a reading comprehension issue more than anything. It's not natural for your brain. You have to get used to it.

Have you ever used VR before? For certain people (myself included) they just cannot handle it. I've tried HTC's and Valve's on multiple games, and I was ready for a huge dose of meclizine after 5min. Don't get motion-sick in cars/boats/amusement park rides/etc, so I'm not pre-disposed.

Sorry you went through that; it really does feel horrible! I was pretty wonky for an hour+ after taking them off.

Last edited:
If a 'warm up' is necessary to train the body, why is this not included in the game? Why isn't this done in a proper way where we can avoid motion sickness?

Warming up to grow some VR legs isn't necessary for everyone. You've already posted what you know you need to do. Take a slow car around a flat track (Tsukuba probably) and get your brain used to the feeling. Give it enough time and you should be okay and can slowly build up to faster cars.

Last edited:
GT7 could haven shown a mandatory short video first time a track is loaded on psvr2. This would have at least avoided the vomiting for me.

You've been excited for PSVR2 that long, yet somehow missed every discussuon and warning and notice and post about how VR causes motion sickness?
yes. i only found it out today the hard way.

Have you ever used VR before? For certain people (myself included) they just cannot handle it.

Sorry you went through that; it really does feel horrible! I was pretty wonky for an hour+ after taking them off.
first time. i bought this for having fun and having more realistic experience. i did not expect puking.

my head still hurts. and my stomach feels weird.
Warming up to frow some VR legs isn't necessary for everyone
both me and my girlfriend suffered. she is still nauseated.

i guess it is the other way around. not getting motion sickness is the rare item.

I am having slight issues myself. I played for hours last night, I’m still feeling a little weird in the head today. I never suspected this would happen to me, I can be out on a boat all day and have no issues. I found that the more body roll the simulator gives you, say for more of a stock car, the more I felt the motion sickness effects. When I raced the super formula car, which has no body roll at all, I felt fine all night, and oh what a blast, I felt like I could reach out and touch the tires. So much fun, but my body doesn’t like it yet. I will try some Dramamine, a fan, and gum chewing tonight. I hope I can overcome this because I love this game and the 3D is absolutely amazing, never had so much fun playing a video game in my entire life. Thanks for the tips Jordan!

one minute of usage, at the second curve in nordschleife I was about to puke. My girlfriend had the same, too.

Now I read the other posts. Some advice that we should slowly do it, take a mazda, drive slowly, use ginger tablets whatever. etc etc.

i feel so awful now after a few minutes. now me and gf just laying down at home in the bed with all windows open. i never played a game and had to puke afterwards.

Do you think you wouldn't get motion sickness in a super car in Nurburgring? 🤣

FFS, this people think they can become professional drivers in a blink of an eye 🤦‍♂️

Back in the day when I first tried out VR with the htc vive I played warthunder that was bad in terms of VR sickness especially when you did loops and such or got shot down and went in a spin but much of it was also cause of the lack of framerates i find that gt7 with psvr2 is not so bad in terms of VR sickness however the nordschleife will make your stomach turn like crazy I personally find that focusing out in the distance of the track helps alot and I take breaks after each race which also helps alot I do think you will get used to it after a little while however stay away from the nordschleife and other tracks with a lot of elevations until you got your VR legs :)

I feel bad for you but I've had no issues at all

Sam

Same thing happened to me using PSVR (1) on Dirt Rally... lol... Can happen to any one, mate! :)

Give it time and keep trying to gently break yourself in using the tips in the other thread. Your brain just needs time to adjust. I had a similar experience to you last night, although admittedly not as severe as I was able to do about 10 minutes before having to bail out. This is also my first ever VR experience.

For as long as I can remember I've been prone to motion sickness when I'm a passenger in a car, especially when in the back. I was a bit scared I wouldn't be able to adjust but it's gradually getting there. After some short gentle runs today with breaks interspersed, I'm now up to the point where I've been practicing the upcoming GTWS rounds. I've even done a practice Nations lobby.

Same here. Hopefully I’ll get better. I also start playing the free demos from ps store, more static ones or teleport instead of smooth movement to get used to vr in general.

Sounds like my first experience with Dirt Rally and the Vive. Fortunately for me it was a tweaking issue but I stuck with it for too long before looking into the issue due to my excitement and honestly couldnt even look at my headset for almost a week without feeling nauseous after. When I went back to the game it was mostly ok but would still need to limit my sessions. Hopefully it is something you can overcome since VR is really aweseome.

Sounds like my first experience with Dirt Rally and the Vive. Fortunately for me it was a tweaking issue but I stuck with it for too long before looking into the issue due to my excitement and honestly couldnt even look at my headset for almost a week without feeling nauseous after. When I went back to the game it was mostly ok but would still need to limit my sessions. Hopefully it is something you can overcome since VR is really aweseome.

I feel the same way, I want to play so bad but every time I see the headset I think - I don’t want to feel like this again tomorrow.
VR Hangover. 😕

When I got the OG htc vive, I found that moving around in fluid motion in a 3d environment was very odd at first.

I ended up doing a couple of hours at a time till I could disconnect my brain from thinking I'm actually in motion. This was the main part, I used to be scared of being up high in VR and stuff but on Pavlov, when you die you go to a free cam mode and you can fly around the map. Again this is disorientating at first but after a while my brain treats it no different than a 1st person camera on a drone. Now I can fly around and do all sorts.

I only had one queasy moment in GT7, I made a u turn on the track and looked out the side window whilst doing it, but overall I spent many more hours on it today absolutely fine. The last time i felt bad in vr whilst driving was doing a small kart track on project cars 2. you go around so quick its like spinning on the spot whilst drunk. I would say it may be a focus thing because i did the tomahawk on the tokyo circuit in gt7 and felt fine doing that!

Most of the earlier VR games had people teleport to help against motion sickness so it may be the case that people need to do the same as I did.

For those that can get used to it, they open up an amazing experience and have little awesome moments in game even racing the AI! I was in the Honda RA272 on a 600pp tokyo event (not the big money one) and was side by side with the AMG GTR down a straight. Looking over at the brakes and wheels in motion was awesome like I was actually there and no flat screen gaming would ever give that experience... ever!

It is 100% understandable if some people can't get over the motion sickness part but in a way its like riding a bike. Once you can do it the rewards are worth it!

If any of you want to sell me your PSVR2.. I'll give you $200. Because it probably has a little barf on it.

I'd love to try GT7 in VR but I can't justify another headset right now at that price. I already have two. Plus, I've already played all the various sims in VR so I don't think GT7 would be anything particularly new to me.

Really surprised that VR has been a thing for years now and people still aren't aware of the potential motion sickness. Its been discussed endlessly in media related to VR. Some people just can't handle it.

Last edited:
Don't do what I did. I was having a blast then got curious to see what it was like to smash straight into a wall going over 180mph...bad move - VR rookie mistake 😵‍💫. That was an end to my fun and put me to bed. Going to give it another go tonight 🤞. Without the Suicide run of course 🤣

Really surprised that VR has been a thing for years now and people still aren't aware of the potential motion sickness. Its been discussed endlessly in media related to VR. Some people just can't handle it.
i'm not sure it is discussed that much. i watched many psvr2 gt7 videos in the last days while waiting for my ups delivery to arrive. motion sickness wasn't mentioned at all.

when i buy a game, worst I'd expect is that i don't like the game and be slightly annoyed.

but puking? that's another level of a **** up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not sure it is discussed that much. i watched many psvr2 gt7 videos in the last days while waiting for my ups delivery to arrive. motion sickness wasn't mentioned at all.

when i buy a game, worst I'd expect is that i don't like the game and be slightly annoyed.

but puking? that's another level of a **** up.
This is up to a individual like some people have motion sickness from buses or rollercoaster , if you feel still weird you should probably go to the doctor for check

Last edited by a moderator:
I love VR i`ve been using a quest 2 on pc for over a year, its brilliant, my mate was a bit funny like this, not sure if it was having the wifi on and wireless that caused it, now i just use a cable and hes been fine since....

Day 3, (2 days after binge playing for the first time)I’m feeling much better than yesterday but my head is still not right. I could not even play yesterday. Still have a bit of vertigo today. My advice to all first timers, do not do what I did by playing for hours. Play a little bit at a time with breaks or the motion sickness effects could linger for days. I think my brain is still trying to figure out what happened.

Second day. Big difference today, I could race on Special Stage Route X, mostly keeping the lane, and I was 100% fine. I kept my sessions short, 2 x 15mins. Yesterday and today before GT7 I played many sessions of the demo of ‘the call of the mountain’ with comfort settings and movement by hands - this helped a lot with ‘vr legs’. So I guess you have to keep working on it. Also I figured out legs are hard in VR as in the gym. 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back