PSVR2 is Unusable Because of Motion Sickness. Puked.

• Thread starter Carl Sagan
  • 43 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got bottles of prescriptions originally intended for motion sickness that are also used for anxiety (hydroxyzine) so I feel like I have that base covered. Money is not an issue as my hobby budget is going strong since I switched from music production to console gaming. I could buy a nice wheel setup that would hopefully work with Forza and my Xbox series X and not ruin that game for me since it isn’t a VR game… decisions, decisions…

I let my friend try gt7 in VR yesterday he went for a full minute before ripping the headset off and feeling VR sick so I guess it is a matter of slow progression into it....

Also a bit of my bad because I should have give him A open car that was a bit slower and set him off on a pleasure cruise first but I forgot in the excitement too show him the awesomeness of gt7 in VR.... :(

I've been waiting for the PSVR2 since the day it is announced.

Then today used it with great excitement with GT7. Very impressive at first.

one minute of usage, at the second curve in nordschleife I was about to puke. My girlfriend had the same, too.

Now I read the other posts. Some advice that we should slowly do it, take a mazda, drive slowly, use ginger tablets whatever. etc etc.

If a 'warm up' is necessary to train the body, why is this not included in the game? Why isn't this done in a proper way where we can avoid motion sickness?

i feel so awful now after a few minutes. now me and gf just laying down at home in the bed with all windows open. i never played a game and had to puke afterwards.

something isn't right here.

Your not wrong, something is wrong. I've been a VR addict since I got hold of a Samsung Note 9 with headset.. then Valve index with countless hours. First 15 minutes I has popping pain killers, with my head over the toilet and effects of motion sickness for more than 6 hours... and I don't get motion sickness!!!! I used to work on boats!!!!!

Bless you OP 😂 ....shouldn't laugh really, but the way you worded the OP cracked me up.
It is awful, and I sympathise with you, 'Simulator Sickness' is the correct term I believe, some pilots have been known to get it during training in sims too.

If it makes you feel better, I've projectile vomited and blown chunks 🤮 just playing FPS games in the past 😂

Fall Out New Vegas was the first years back, all I remember was some old dude in some shack talking to me, I found a bottle top, and that was it - game over with my head in the bowl.
Never played it agian!

Whenever I see the Fall Out guy/trademark now I feel slightly sick. 😂🤣

Ya, fps games used to get me bad, then tried an Occulus years ago, started feeling dodgy. Nope! Took it off immediately.

I think you are missing the point. The answers are all focused to what I should do to avoid this.

It is the other way around.

If you are developing a product and one side effect is that it causes many people to puke or be extremely dizzy. You do something reasonable to address this.

Reasonable means honestly addressing it. Not showing a popup with an ok button and leaving the responsibility and the problem at the user.

This could be:
  • showing a short video about best practices in using gt7 with psvr2.
  • Detecting somebody is using this new and adjusting the game initially accordingly such as limiting the vision (like in horizon)
  • having a training mode for somebody to get used to this mode and unlocking vr game fully only afterwards. e.g. few days or a week on the licence centre each day max x minutes whatever.
  • Limiting or warning about the time when user exceeds a certain threshold.

Then if the user overrides these, it would be his responsibility.

heck, even if that gtplanet 7 tips video had been shown at the first time i launched gt7 with psvr2, this could have made my life much easier. There it says don't launch your favourite track with the fastest car. This was actually the first thing I did. Why did gt7 let me do it anyways?

Sony & POLYPHONY just threw this at us without doing their homework.

If so many hours is spent to develop this game, why isn't any proper effort included in making people use it without nausea?

I think you are missing the point. The answers are all focused to what I should do to avoid this.

It is the other way around.

If you are developing a product and one side effect is that it causes many people to puke or be extremely dizzy. You do something reasonable to address this.

Reasonable means honestly addressing it. Not showing a popup with an ok button and leaving the responsibility and the problem at the user.

This could be:
  • showing a short video about best practices in using gt7 with psvr2.
  • Detecting somebody is using this new and adjusting the game initially accordingly such as limiting the vision (like in horizon)
  • having a training mode for somebody to get used to this mode and unlocking vr game fully only afterwards. e.g. few days or a week on the licence centre each day max x minutes whatever.
  • Limiting or warning about the time when user exceeds a certain threshold.

heck, even if that gtplanet 7 tips video had been shown at the first time i launched gt7 with psvr2, this could have made my life much easier. There it says don't launch your favourite track with the fastest car. This was actually the first thing I did. Why did gt7 let me do it anyways?

Sony & POLYPHONY just threw this at us without doing their homework.

If so many hours is spent to develop this game, why isn't any proper effort included in making people use it without nausea?

If you ever need someone to hold you hand while you cross the street send me a PM. I've got you, bud. 🤗

Page one of the instruction manual:

1677330520016.png

Page two of the instruction manual:

1677330572170.png

Page two of the instruction manual enlarged, for clarity:

1677330629078.png

Page four of the instruction manual:

1677330680487.png

Page four of the instruction manual enlarged, for clarity:

1677330738673.png

English: https://www.playstation.com/content...anuals/psvr2-docs/CFI-ZVR1_PSVR2_IM$en-gb.pdf
German: https://www.playstation.com/content...t/manuals/psvr2-docs/CFI-ZVR1_PSVR2_IM$de.pdf

Last edited:

View attachment 1234416

Page two of the instruction manual:

View attachment 1234417

Page two of the instruction manual enlarged, for clarity:

View attachment 1234418

Page four of the instruction manual:

View attachment 1234419

Page four of the instruction manual enlarged, for clarity:

View attachment 1234420
The consulting your doctor thing might be a little over the top for VRsickness!?? not sure I want my doctor too laugh in my face for telling him I got dizzy playing Gt7 in VR!! :embarrassed:

The consulting your doctor thing might be a little over the top for VRsickness!?? not sure I want my doctor too laugh in my face for telling him I got dizzy playing Gt7 in VR!! :embarrassed:
The "consult a doctor" thing applies to people suffering a serious medical condition seeking advice before playing, and people suffering prolonged conditions or serious side-effects such as "loss of awareness, disorientation, seizures" afterwards. Even the minor side-effects, such as dizziness, could be a sign of a neurological deficit.

Any doctor that will laugh in your face for this is probably one who got their doctorate out of a cereal box.

The "consult a doctor" thing applies to people suffering a serious medical condition seeking advice before playing, and people suffering prolonged conditions or serious side-effects such as "loss of awareness, disorientation, seizures" afterwards. Even the minor side-effects, such as dizziness, could be a sign of a neurological deficit.

Any doctor that will laugh in your face for this is probably one who got their doctorate out of a cereal box.
Sorry my bad didn't pick up on the serious medical condition thing.... :(

I believe it is just a matter of getting used to it. I completely overdid it Wednesday night I was having so much fun, but ended up with a strange disoriented VR hangover all day Thursday. I was able to play with a super formula for a few hours off and on yesterday with no issues. I cannot wait to play again today. I think some helpful factors were chewing gum, using a fan, driving a car with very little body roll, and most importantly, try to keep your eyes looking forward, do not look around too much, if you do look around, move your head more than your eyes. Also, tilt your head a little with the banking of there is any. I did spin out once and I just closed my eyes and there was no motion effect. So, for all of you that didn’t feel well after the first try, don’t give up, you can overcome it. Just my personal experience this week. Hope that helps someone.

Yeah just a matter of getting used to it unfortunately, for those that have it.
Bit at a time until your brain gets used to it.

Kinda interesting why it makes you nauseous and vomit though, apparently it's because your brain see's movement but doesn't sense/feel it.
Because of this, your brain thinks you're poisoned, thus making you vomit.

i'm writing how sony & polyphony should have decently dealt with this and you are copying me the user manual.

are you living in the 80s.

there is a reason those docs are called cover your ass docs. They are intentionally written that way to blame the user when something happens

Here is one from Android manual.

It says don't use your phone while charging.

1677332993188.png

i'm writing how sony & polyphony should have decently dealt with this and you are copying me the user manual.
Yep, because the user manual contains exactly what you've been complaining about.

If you don't want to read the instruction books for things you own before you use them - especially given that they say to do so and contain warnings that are exactly appropriate to what you're complaining about - that very much is your problem:

The user here has blasted right past the warnings in the instruction manuals, and it is indeed their responsibility. As the kids say, RTFM. Which is, I believe, a phrase originating from the 1970s (and perhaps earlier in military parlance), rather than the 1980s.

Had you done so, you'd have been prepared for the precise issues you encountered. It's strange you're now somehow blaming me for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back