Punters - Hit 'Em Back, or Not?

Retaliate to punters?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Yes, only with sufficient offense (e.g. multiple offenses)

Votes: 184 55.6%
  • No, never.

Votes: 127 38.4%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Dragonistic
Its about time this topic got a thread, searched through the first 6 pages of this section and couldn't find any.

Anyway, i find myself only considering hitting someone back if they have deliberately hit me and i am absolutely positive it was deliberate. Sillly overtake attempts i tolerate most of the time if its a one off. Hitting my rear on braking zones i usually tolerate, sideswiping on straights i do not, sticking a nose on my inside 1/4 and not giving me room, i also do not.

This has been a hot topic recently, so let the debate begin.

Since there's currently no method of finding out where they live by tracing their ip - beating the crap out them on the track is the next best option.

Hopefully a geolocate menu will make it into the full release :mischievous:

I very rarely retaliate, I'd be lying if I said I never retaliate, but when I do its usually just me not giving them room or just ignoring them. I refuse to purposefully punt/ram/shunt others.
I suppose I'm not totally against what I'd call "light" retaliation, but I'm very opposed to any ramming or shunting.

"Don't argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

There's nothing more satisfying than sticking to your principles and handing a cheater's arse back to them on a silver platter.

"Don't argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

There's nothing more satisfying than sticking to your principles and handing a cheater's arse back to them on a silver platter.

And very annoying when you do so to end up just giving them a chance to hit you again, which they lap up. Thats what turned me to retaliating at times, one race someone hits me fine, you catch up they do it again and you just lose because of it. Thats why next race with them i'd give them a final chance of staying clean before i'll give them a nudge, which 90% of the time is enough to take someone out.

Luckily, due to playing offline races in GT1-4 I have a handy repertoire of dirty tricks from 'mobile armco' on corners to brake checking for safety and boost. The key is to concentrate on your line and position - it becomes more a case of trying to ignore your opponent than trying to hit them.

I hate to say this but I think when private rooms come along it'll probably end up being a fun diversion to have the odd 'anything goes' mad max sessions. I know we used every dirty trick in the book when I used to race split screen with my mates.

But, as it stands now, if the rest of the pack wants to race clean that works for me too.

What I've noticed, on the occasions when was online, is that these idiots are sometimes pretty hard to track and hit. They drive like such morons they're all over the place and it can be tough to get a bead on them, factor in 'lag' and it pretty funny. :)

even professional racecar drivers have a limited tolerance with multiple contact.

retaliation is only human when pushed far enough

And very annoying when you do so to end up just giving them a chance to hit you again

What's the difference between winning dirty and coming second clean?

I know which I'd rather do.

getting pushed around by punters isnt all that fun. doesn't help your race either every time you try to overtake him normally. you'll get rammed for it.

I hate to say this but I think when private rooms come along it'll probably end up being a fun diversion to have the odd 'anything goes' mad max sessions. I know we used every dirty trick in the book when I used to race split screen with my mates.

The difference is that in those sessions everyone knows before hand that everything is allowed.
Now you want to race clean, but someone interferes with that by ramming you.
And other times it's me that wants to race dirty to have some fun, but I don't because i don't want to mess up someone else's race.

Ontopic:
When someone pushes me on several occasions he can expect to be hit back by me.
That also goes when i see a punter in front of me ramming people off the road.
The outcome of the race doesn't interest me at that point, i just want to prevent the punter from winning in that way.

What's the difference between winning dirty and coming second clean?

I know which I'd rather do.

Depends - if you're coming second to a punter you're encouraging them. Of course it could be said that beating them at their own game is reinforcing that that's the best way to play, however they might notice that you were driving clean until they pushed you in which case the lesson becomes 'don't tread on me'

I've played both roles in this argument-initially no retaliation, and raced my way back up through the field as best I could. My last few times out I've been dishing out punishment when I'm being obviously abused.

I'm going back to letting it all go. There was no advantage to joining the fray, and I enjoyed the racing less. If I want to be irritated all the time while driving, I'll just go out on public roads here in the US.

Depends - if you're coming second to a punter you're encouraging them.

So they win one-seventh of a Daihatsu more than you. Oh noes.

I'd much rather have a good race and finish last than batter my way through a pack of cheats and win. It's not about how others perceive you - it's about how you perceive yourself.

Of course it could be said that beating them at their own game is reinforcing that that's the best way to play, however they might notice that you were driving clean until they pushed you in which case the lesson becomes 'don't tread on me'

I wouldn't imagine for one second that someone who smashes their way through a race right from the out will pay even the slightest attention to how anyone else drives. They're just obstacles between him and a gold trophy.

I guess there's something deep inside me that doesn't like losing to morons. Can't justify or explain it but there you go. I don't mind losing to superior drivers or because I make a mistake (although I do get a bit annoyed with myself for this) but I feel compelled to finish in front of the idiots.

I guess there's something deep inside me that doesn't like losing to morons. Can't justify or explain it but there you go. I don't mind losing to superior drivers or because I make a mistake (although I do get a bit annoyed with myself for this) but I feel compelled to finish in front of the idiots.

Oh I agree entirely. Losing to an asshat is never nice but, in the end, they're still an asshat. There's no need to become one too just to get one up on them.

I don't see retaliation as becoming an asshat, necessarily. I drive dirty but I do it a damn sight more effectively than they do, otherwise they'd beat me across the finish and not vice versa.

Clean driving (in this context at least) is all about showing consideration for other drivers. All I do is stop paying them this service.

I don't see retaliation as becoming an asshat, necessarily.

Except that from their point of view, you are.

They're like - and in some cases actually are - kids. They will cheat and cheat and cheat all day long to get what they want, but if someone else does it even once they play merry hell. They genuinely don't see what's wrong with their behaviour and will claim you're at fault.

Plus all you need is one with their PS3 routed through a recording device and suddenly you're on Youtube on a heavily edited video and the whole world knows you're a cheat (q.v. Sphinx's self-protective recording of races and unedited videos to show people up as cheats).

Clean driving (in this context at least) is all about showing consideration for other drivers. All I do is stop paying them this service.

I see clean driving as showing consideration for yourself. I cannot imagine being happy with, nor deserving of, a race win I'd got by hoofing into someone - whether they're a chimp-fisted mong or not.

i always note down the punters and next time i see them i give them plenty of their own doing back.
I know 2 regular punters who ive rammed back and their racing style is much more tamed towards me but still not towards other racers.
For me to retaliate this way it takes about 2 races of me getting thrown into the litter by them.

Plus all you need is one with their PS3 routed through a recording device and suddenly you're on Youtube on a heavily edited video and the whole world knows you're a cheat (q.v. Sphinx's self-protective recording of races and unedited videos to show people up as cheats).

And all of a sudden everyone here is going to believe some kid with a captcha card and no cred (other than a rep for being a punter) over someone they've raced alongside numerous times with no incidents other than the odd accidental bump after which I let you in front?

I put the video evidence thing down to sheer paranoia if you ask me. I don't take online racing that seriously.

Not knocking you if you do (what you take seriously is your own business) just saying that I'm not really that hardcore

never intentional contact, if I do get repeatedly rammed by the same person I stick to his bumper and pressure them into the grass, if they don't crack then I find they race clean when you try passing moves.

last night when i was racing online for an hour i had around 10 races. out of these 10 races i had 2 with clean drivers, including one driver here from GTP! Great driver! very fair and clean. nice battle :)

the other 8 races tho, were horrible, i started from 2nd place and turn 1 of suzuka was by end, i got bumped and me and 3 others flew off track.
In some of the other races, overtaking was sheer impossible. bumping on the straight line when i was next to one guy. horrible!

I am really looking forward to private GTP rooms with their clean racers!

Chris

And all of a sudden everyone here is going to believe some kid with a captcha card and no cred (other than a rep for being a punter) over someone they've raced alongside numerous times with no incidents other than the odd accidental bump after which I let you in front?

Mud (and other, similar substances) sticks, man. Especially on the internets.

It's safer to just drive how you know you ought and not sink to their level, over the matter of 1,000 credits.

last night when i was racing online for an hour i had around 10 races. out of these 10 races i had 2 with clean drivers, including one driver here from GTP! Great driver! very fair and clean. nice battle :)

the other 8 races tho, were horrible, i started from 2nd place and turn 1 of suzuka was by end, i got bumped and me and 3 others flew off track.
In some of the other races, overtaking was sheer impossible. bumping on the straight line when i was next to one guy. horrible!

I am really looking forward to private GTP rooms with their clean racers!

Chris

Turn 1 on Suzuka is a nightmare. If I'm near the back of the grid the best bet is hang back and dodge through the carnage on the inside line. If I'm near the front then I can sometimes get away with braking early then booting it across the first apex just before the rammers behind can peg me but most of the time it's safer just to take the punt by pumping the brakes and hope you can stay on the track :grumpy:

Lately I'm finding 750pp a lot easier to deal with than 600, cos I can take t1/2 a hell of a lot faster than the average muppet.

I try not to... I will only do it if the opportunity arrises.

But normally they end up trying to block me from getting past, or ramming another car, and end up going off themselves :)

The first corner of suzuka is the worst... but recently i've started on the front of the grid everytime :) and in my Nissan GTR they have no chance of catching me off the start line.

It's safer to just drive how you know you ought and not sink to their level, over the matter of 1,000 credits.

It's not about the credits. You race 5 races, and meet that same person in 3 races out of the 5, and every single time they get anywhere near you, you find yourself in the gravel trap. Even pro race drivers get angry and retalliate, look at the V8 Supercars here in Aus, heck F1 drivers do it. Look at what Alonso did to Hamilton at Turn 1 in Spa last year, nearly ran him off the track!

Last night I was running Fuji Begginers ( with the Nissan GTR) and had maybe 20 consecutive races there.

I'm still a noob concerning GT5:P online (and GT5:P overall) and I may be of course wrong, but I think that by not retaliating I got the respect of two other drivers (one from GB, the other from Spain).

With the GB driver I'm sure this was the case. In the first race, we were fighting for the win and when we got to the main straight (at the end of the last lap) I managed to get side by side with him (me on the right side) and I had greater speed. Then he rammed me sideways and quickly returned to his line (maybe to avoid my ramming back). I didn't reply, just kept my car going straight. He won.

Next race, same scenario, but this time it was him that had the better speed coming from the last corner. I thought I had lost it, but he backed off at the last minute and gave me the win.

From that race on I had plenty of them with this guy (PSN "wired........" ), and we had many other "fights". But never again he tried to ram, brake test or use whatever other cheating technics. At least against me, because I saw him "retaliate" against some other morons :dopey:

I'm not so sure. Look at what happened when Sphinx posted what I have to admit was a very damning video of myself performing that move at the end of suzuka. I mean, hell, if I'd seen that I'd have thought it was an obvious block. Okay I had already apologised and explained it but, even that aside, a number of people immediately jumped to my defense.

The only opinions I care about are the people I race alongside and most of them know how I behave on track. If some punter managed to chop together 10 mins of footage of me skelping him out the way, repeatedly, I'm sure most of my friends on here would immediately realise this was out of character and, even if they didn't it wouldn't change the way I race - so, other than some imaginary credits, what do I lose?

Latest Posts

Back