Punters - Hit 'Em Back, or Not?

Retaliate to punters?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Yes, only with sufficient offense (e.g. multiple offenses)

Votes: 184 55.6%
  • No, never.

Votes: 127 38.4%

• Total voters
Yeah your absolutely right, thats a good life lesson right there.;)👍
I think the best way to be patient while racing online, is to look at the way otehrs are racing around you, if its radical...expect to be punted. And...Don't worry about not winning! There is always another race with your friends that don't punt....there the real races that count.:D

Hehe, thats because your obviously a good racer that hasn't got much punting experience...thats a good thing.:)

lol Horde, thats a nice little crafty plan you have there.:D
I'm sure alot of punters get peturbed when you catch up so easily. I do agree that some people after being punted back, race properly and stop punting you. So to a degree punting has its merits as you have piointed out.
If you punt someone and it ends there race good and proper. Then they decide to race clean from then on, in the odd times that works, you have done everyone that races online a favour. Although sending a PM to the punter is probably a better way to get through to them.

Also everyone needs to consider that perhaps the punter is only a young kid...maybe not even 10? In which case they think punting is fun, so go easy when you message punters.:)
R*

Sure mate;)! When i get my little revenge my vendeta is done and all the other racers are safe from danger, so consider me has the police in those times :lol:! But punters have to get me many times do so! Believe me there are a few fast punters :scared:!

EDIT: Yes, only with sufficient offense (e.g. multiple offenses) 147 53.85% --> Those are alot of votes :lol:!

Last edited:
Sure mate;)! When i get my little revenge my vendeta is done and all the other racers are safe from danger, so consider me has the police in those times :lol:! But punters have to get me many times do so! Believe me there are a few fast punters :scared:!

EDIT: Yes, only with sufficient offense (e.g. multiple offenses) 147 53.85% --> Those are alot of votes :lol:!
Yeah there is a few fast punters out there, when I have the misfortune of getting punted by them, I'll send a message saying something like:
'Why do you Punt/Bash into other driver's? Your pretty fast, fast enough to not have to stoop that low to have a good race.'
I do agree with you :DSenior Constable Horde:D about driver's like Siegmund, it is more than clear that he/she is not interested in racing clean at all. So sending him to the back of the pack allows other driver's to enjoy the proper Gran Turismo experience.:)
There is other games for drivers like Siegmund to play if they want to bash/crash, just as Pescara for GT5 said, they should play Motorstorm if that kind of driving appeals to them.
R*

I had a few races with a Brazilian. He was punting, corner diving, short cutting, and (the worst) brake checking. I sent him a PM, he invited me to fight (in Brazil? Are you buying my ticket?) and said "It's just fun". So the next few races I beat him, the last when I dodged his brake check in the final straight. He sent me a message "Nice MIG 29 Nice, but I still win more often than you".
My reply "We 're playing two different games. I strive to win by going faster, you try to slow down your opponent. I drive a racecar, you drive a lawnmower".

What I sometimes do, not just in GT but in any game, is that if I look back and see someone who looks like they're going to rear-end me, what I do is right before a turn, when I brake, I also steer in another direction! The punter doesn't react quickly enough, they can't slow down, BAM! Works alomst every time.

Those that like to hit others in races are 🤬 in my book!

I dont have a punter problem mostly. Its the blockers. I give light taps to tell them to let me pass. I just make my own way through them. Eigar and London this occurs the most.

doesn't matter to me, in a game or real. do that to me, you wish you didn't

doesn't matter to me, in a game or real. do that to me, you wish you didn't

Well thats mature. I just wonder what your car in real life looks like then. Where do you get your parts so cheap? Or is it held together with bailing wire and duct tape?:dunce:👎

Sometime accident do happen and are mistakenly taken as punting. For example myself with the GTLM at Suzuka 800. I'm pretty sure there are driver out there still cursing at me on certain days. It is so hard to control this beast and I do brake early because of that (they thinking: brake check). Trying to learning to avoid hitting people, but when you loose control and try to regain it accident is bound to happen. I do send appolegies to whoever, if i can remember.

It is the repeated offender that I can not stand. Blocking, brake checking, and bashing on purpose. It is very easy to tell. THEY CAN'T HELP THEMSELVES. It will always show. To these people I'm guilty of bashing them back. But the minute I commit to it, the game becomes less fun. So now I choose to just wait for the right time to pass them.

With Sigmund's case, I just think it's funny. Myself and other who are in a chat room just consciously try to know where he's at and avoid him with our best abilities...lol He's just like a moving sand trap....lol

I just started playing again after a good lay off, and their seems to be less punting than i remember. I never punt back, just brings you down to their level. If i can't recover the race i'll just sit in the grass till it finishes.

However i'm quite rubbish so if i brake to early in front of any of you or clip you apologies in advance ( online name DAKSO ), i always move over for faster drivers if i see them coming.

anyone who intentionally punts and late brake into other racer's do this due to the fact that this is the only way they can beat people becauase they have no driving skills .
There are 95% of the racers out there commit to a clean race , and everyone has mistakes every now and again but if you've got the talent you'll always be a winner even if you come last

If someone punts me and I am no longer in race for 1-3 position, I ram into him like bull goes on cow. As hard as I can.

Sometimes you are just the big loser though, not because of where you finish, but because your racing experience is ruined by someone who hits you off everytime you overtake them. I stick by my original vote, if someone hits me off over and over, the best way to stop them doing it again, or to others, is take them out of contention.

I've never had a problem with brake checking though, sometimes people brake really early and I accidently hit them, e.g. Suzuka heading into the hairpin it's very hard to stop the car without hitting someone if they brake early, but i'll drop them a message as they clearly didn't mean to brake check. The middle answer on this poll is very broad, as some people are going to judge some accidental contact as a punt, for me personally I think of the guy who just doesn't brake for a turn at all and lunges at the inside to try and get you. They're the kind of person I'll consider hitting back, or people side swiping on the straights when it is absolutely 110% clear of their intentions is when I'll start thinking, will the benefit to everyone else in the race outweigh the cost of giving this person a slight nudge.

That said, I never do so using my GTP_ account for the sake of representing something other then myself.

I usually don't only because it's so against my racing style I usually end up screwing myself up worse when trying to retaliate. Hopefully damage engine in GT5 will help deter those who are in it for smash em derby reasons.

I usually don't only because it's so against my racing style I usually end up screwing myself up worse when trying to retaliate. Hopefully damage engine in GT5 will help deter those who are in it for smash em derby reasons.

I hope so, too! But at the same time I am concerned that a good damage model might inspire mentally limited people to go for maximum damage accidents, for example right at the start of a race, so they can then watch the replays and exchange with their equally limited buddies! :crazy: Imagine that scenario turn 1 lap 1 at Fuji.... if they do good anywhere between 5 to 10 people have a race that lasts not even 10s :(. This will hopefully be resolved nicely by the magical P-word :lol:

Hi
I'm new here. I love racing the Daytona circuit particularly the beginners as it is popular and fun. I have a problem though concerning what you are saying. It took me a while to get used to driving, learn the techniques and becoming competitive but to be honest I now find myself much more abused by other drivers and some of them are quite willing to mail threats. I admit I’m not perfect but that’s because 1. I’m learning and 2. I’m only a human sat in my lounge playing a game (I took a guy off hard into the corner the other day when the door went) and more than anything else things happen because no one exercises the same caution as if they were really driving at 160 mph believe me I’ve driven Nascar. Now I have lost countless races because I got swiped but when one man’s block is another’s punt I just laugh it off. All I’m saying is at the end of the day it’s just a game so if I’ve caused any offence I apologise but I can assure you, I get carried away in the heat of the race, I can get distracted and cock up like quite a lot but never deliberately so please keep down the aggression and have some fun.

Cheers Gary

Hi Gary, nice constructive post to begin with and welcome at GTPlanet 👍

I very rarely retaliate. What I do is that next time I try to pass someone that punted me I'll be on the alert and push or nudge him a bit if necessary as a defense tactic - just so that I can pass him without being thrown off the track again!

To be honest it's not the on track aggression that bothers me it's all in the game it's the mailing threatening mails and rude comments that get to me I think that is completely unnecessary, I quite enjoy competitive comments but there really is no need for swearing and abuse :nervous:

I have to vent.......:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Suzuka 700pp. I've recently raced against an individual with an (ES) tag. His name, well it starts with a b and he is in a green Amuse. This guy is decently fast enought and looks like he knows what he is doing. The thing is he is purposely bashing people. I've witnessed it several times now. I'm faster than he is so i just move on, but this guy would catch up to slower driver and pushes them into the sand:mad:. It bothers me so so much that I caught myself doing it to him:banghead:🤬. Onced I realized that his whole purpose is to bash and punt people, I stop. Again this is only a vent.;)

I wanted the GT communities opinions as to what is the right things to do. Personally, I want to reach out and beat the living stupidity out of this f&*king guy.... Ok I'm done...:sly:

I've hit people accidentally and people have hit me accidentally, I take no offense.

My friend smacked into some german guy in online play in R130 in Suzuka and cost the guy his race. Lucky enough my friend stopped at the finish to let the German guy pass.
Well not every one is that nice....

Racing at PP800 Fuji F, I got bump a few times, but those we just natural errors and reactions. But today on Daytona Speedway I was winning on the last lap and some fool sideswipes me and I smack a wall. I tend to retaliate then if a guy is being a real pain for the whole field. Other than that clean driving is the only way to move

I have to vent.......:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Suzuka 700pp. I've recently raced against an individual with an (ES) tag. His name, well it starts with a b and he is in a green Amuse. This guy is decently fast enought and looks like he knows what he is doing. The thing is he is purposely bashing people. I've witnessed it several times now. I'm faster than he is so i just move on, but this guy would catch up to slower driver and pushes them into the sand:mad:. It bothers me so so much that I caught myself doing it to him:banghead:🤬. Onced I realized that his whole purpose is to bash and punt people, I stop. Again this is only a vent.;)

I wanted the GT communities opinions as to what is the right things to do. Personally, I want to reach out and beat the living stupidity out of this f&*king guy.... Ok I'm done...:sly:

Same guy rammed me off the road several times earlier today on purpose.

Today I was racing a guy who is a blatant blocker, but not a rammer per se. I've beaten him many times and I know all I have to do is pressure him and he'll make a mistake and I'll get by. But today he brake checked me on a short straight. Absolutely a clear intentional brake check. I followed him another lap and going into the same short straight I was right behind him. Right about the same place he did it again. Only this time I moved off line just as he hit his brakes. I must say I got a good laugh as I watched him recede in my rear view.

I dont have a punter problem mostly. Its the blockers. I give light taps to tell them to let me pass. I just make my own way through them. Eigar and London this occurs the most.

What do you mean "the blockers"? So if you are struggling to cleanly overtake somebody, you just drive into them, as if to say "move out of my way"? It's quite bizarre what you say. Finding overtaking opportunities is central to racing.

I avoid retaliation as much as possible. I'll rather park. The greatest satisfaction though is when you've beaten the punter and can send them a message saying -"Did you notice that I beat you anyway? Learn to drive instead."

Edit: Hmm, how in the world did I end up here?

I say don't retaliate, make a strange driving line and become unpredictable, without hitting other drivers, then punters will miss and crash, and you can laugh at them.

If they hit you off, they say, "yay, I passed someone," and you'll think, "what an idiot, he ruined my race."

If you swerve unpredictably and they miss you, lose, and crash and burn baby, they'll go mental at you saying it's your fault you were prepared for it.

Back