punters..

  • Thread starter Thread starter VARCONV
  • 87 comments
  • 6,019 views
Annoyingly alot of the punters about currently can actually drive and resort to punting to get ahead/win. If it was a simple case of lack of ability, they'd just eventually disappear and leave us to it... but the "tactic" of punting is en vogue for these types and they are just as able to race cleanly. So unless something can be done to either punish or dismember them, we'll be stuck with it.
 
I did read your post, and it's nonsense.

The fact that many punters are Spanish (let's just call it by name here, everybody knows what we are talking about here) does not mean that most Spanish are punters.

'Ball --> round' does not imply 'round --> ball'. To make it more clear: 'Punter --> Spanish' does not imply 'Spanish --> Punter'. Any suggestion in this direction you are making is simply false. Even if 100% of punters were Spanish, this does not say anything about the % of punters in the Spanish community. Hence you cannot say that some countries drive dirtier than others.

As opposed to your statement, the above is based on mathematics, not on gut-feelings. If your statement were true, then punting would be significantly less in the NTSC races, since Spain uses PAL. And it's not, it's the same everywhere.

I've had plenty clean races with Spanish guys BTW, and also several dirty ones. Same applies to France, GB, NL, or any other country. Punters are everywhere. I too can smell a punter from a mile away, but it's not because of nationality, but because of their behaviour on track.

Strange..

As I read through the posts I thought that my own experience is that the SPANISH players are often punters.

Now you talk about Spanish people too..

But no - that must be pure chance...
 
Punters have no idea what real racing is. Go play something else!
 
Strange..

As I read through the posts I thought that my own experience is that the SPANISH players are often punters.

Now you talk about Spanish people too..

But no - that must be pure chance...

I think the nationalistic debate and anti-Spanishness of this thread has gone far enough, don't you? I attempted to bring the thing back on topic but you've just dragged it off again.

The point is about people that drive using dirty tactics, not where they're from or anything else more personal than their driving tactics.

Speaking of which, they are out in force today.. Or is it always like this? I don't race online much these days so I'm not tuned in to the current atmosphere.
 
Last edited:
Now you talk about Spanish people too..

But no - that must be pure chance...
You're right, I shouldn't have mentioned the nationality. But I judge each driver based on the experience with them personally, I don't hold grudges against someone I've never raced before just because they have [ES] behind their name.

I think the nationalistic debate and anti-Spanishness of this thread has gone far enough, don't you?
True. 👍 But these sentiments do determine how some people judge and act against other nationalities, which in turn could cause reactions from the other side, leading to nasty situations on the track. Not suggesting that anyone here would do that of course, but I think this may very well be part of the problem. People generalising from one side to another. Ending up with two sides hating each other for no apparent reason. ;)

The point is about people that drive using dirty tactics, not where they're from or anything else more personal than their driving tactics.
Agreed, sometimes punters come from Spain, sometimes from France, sometimes from UK, sometimes from NL, well you get the picture.

What I'm trying to get across is this: Give each player a fair chance to prove what they're worth, don't pre-judge them just because they have [ES] or [FR] or [..] behind their name. And don't assume malice, it may just be plain stupidity, not everybody is a perfect driver. (I know I'm not ;))

But nevermind where they're from, when are we going to get private rooms? :) Because this problem is not going away until we get those.

Reading about anti-punter tactics is cool though, perhaps we should compile them?
 
And don't assume malice, it may just be plain stupidity, not everybody is a perfect driver. (I know I'm not ;))

Amen Brother! If I punt you it's not because I'm trying to, it's because I'm too stupid to hit the brakes. :dunce:
 
do you know what it means tocapelotas?

Yes. I can hand you a Warning for it if you like?


Speaking of which, I'm a little unimpressed at some of the implications in here. While I don't have an issue with the observation that someone who was Spanish punted you in an online race, I would have to ask what the nationality has to do with it?

I mean, really it's irrelevant where they come from. The fact that they're acting like morons online is enough, surely?


We've had a few threads here touching on this subject and, so long as we stay this side of that line, this won't end up going the way of the others...
 
Does any body think that in the full version of gt5 car damage will finally kill punting. I mean I play forza, and because of the damage you can do to your car performance wise,punting someone only ruins your race online. I know it won't stop someone who can't drive properly from hitting you anyway, but at least if lets say their engine gets damaged, they can't take advantage of such cheapness.Not to compare gt5 to forza 2 but the online punting is greatly reduced in that game, even if the racing compared to gt5p is inferior.
 
No, damage will not stop punting. Almost every time I'm punted it's from some guy on the inside pushing me off the track during a turn. And I'm pretty sure that guy is willing to cross the finish line with a scratched up door so long as he beats me.

Funnily enough I just finished a race at fuji 800 driving the 111r. I was in p3 and about to pass this s2k on the outside during that really fast, really long right. Right as I'm passing him he swerves to knock me off the track and misses and ends up spinning out. And for the rest of the race he just sat there and watched.
 
Does any body think that in the full version of gt5 car damage will finally kill punting. QUOTE]


Im not convinced it will because when I used to play Forza 2 if anything having damage made it more irritating. I remember once I managed to win through the rounds of an online tournament and qualified for the final. The very first bend of the final someone smacked me into the wall and I had to sit and wait for the race to end due to the damage on my car.

The problem at the moment is we have many different types of punters. We have those who probably don't mean to punt but just simply don't know how to race. We then have those who punt just because they believe they are playing Burnout Revenge. We then have those punters who use this to their advantage but do know how to race.

This is why private rooms is the answer. On my friends list is the other BRC members and I can guarantee if we set up a race with 20 laps around Fuji I bet the distance between 1st and last would be just a couple of seconds. Because we run similiar laptimes and because our braking points/racing lines are identical this in itself would reduce the chances of contact between each other.

I cannot wait for private rooms because it would be great if we could have some races between BRC & GTP members. All GTP members would be guaranteed a clean, fair race which would be most welcomed indeed.
 
Funnily enough I just finished a race at fuji 800 driving the 111r. I was in p3 and about to pass this s2k on the outside during that really fast, really long right. Right as I'm passing him he swerves to knock me off the track and misses and ends up spinning out. And for the rest of the race he just sat there and watched.
I have noticed this as well, where some punters are obviously just trying to cause has much havoc as possible, then once they see they can't anymore because they're too slow to keep up, they park it & stop. It's like they are being sooks or sore losers because all the better clean drivers have outsmarted them.

And on damage, while I can't wait for it to be implemented, because i think if GT wants to be taken as a serious simulation game, i believe it needs damage, i really doubt it would fix online problems with punters. It'd just make it worse, where the drivers as spoken about above, wouldn't care if they damaged their car, just as long as they've stuffed someone else up along the way, then everything is good in their eyes. Id be willing to bet that if given the option for damage on or off, most hosts would choose to have it off in public servers/racers, or else i fear it'd just turn into a demolition derby with nobody finishing the race.
 
I'm looking forward to see a day when punter will destroy his front cooler, overheat his engine and have to end the race. My only work will be to slightly polish my rear bumper after race :o)
 
I'm looking forward to see a day when punter will destroy his front cooler, overheat his engine and have to end the race. My only work will be to slightly polish my rear bumper after race :o)
Not if you were right on the tail of somebody else, or you were driving a car with the engine in the back. ;)
 
Ive been racing Fuji 800 lately and theres punters there on occassion.... but I found out a lot of them can drive.... and if you show them you can too... they sometimes start to race fairly... I had one person try to bump me into the wall on the straight after I drafted him but I dodged him by tapping the brake which he did not expect. After this we clashed again and he got me into the kitty litter but afterwards I caught up to him again and passed him really cleanly.... after this we had a tight race to the finish... I guess he wanted to show he could drive as well...
 
Regarding damage: I think people will find a way to exploit this in the same way they've managed to exploit the ghost/penalty system.

Regarding punters: What really annoys me is when I accidentally nudge someone, so pull over and slow to wait for them. Then as soon as they catch up the plow into me and we both end up in the kitty litter instead of where we should be - chasing first place. What on earth do they think I am waiting for, I find it hard to believe it's a "thank you"?? :/
 
Punter could also be a...


NFS driver?
Burnout driver?
Midnight Club driver?

Thats harsh! those games are for fun a play them lots well just need for speed were not all bad.
 
Thats harsh! those games are for fun a play them lots well just need for speed were not all bad.

I mean the way people drive in them

Trust me I used to annoy the AI 👍

So put those "skills on GT5:P"


EDIT: NFSU2 the best in my opinion :D
 
Regarding punters: What really annoys me is when I accidentally nudge someone, so pull over and slow to wait for them. Then as soon as they catch up the plow into me...

I had that happen the other day. I hit somebody under braking going into the chicane on fuji...it was a pretty bad hit, so when I got onto the straight I was going like 20mph waiting for them. I even gave up p1 to a third person to wait for this skyline I hit.

When I see him get on the straight I start to accelerate, I was going like 80mph when he was passing me going ~140 and he SWERVES INTO ME and pushes me into the grass.

I mean wtf....could they not put the ****ing cylinder into the circle hole? Did they think I got some 12 second penalty that was delayed another 15 seconds for hitting them? Why can't people use more than 2% of their brain while driving and figure out that I was obviously going slow to wait for him. I sent him a message call him a poor sportsman and explaining that I was waiting for him and he goes, "I didn't see you wait!"

... ...yea...
 
I was on Fuji 800 last night again.... and I have been paying attention to the punters tricks... I must say if you anticpate what the person behind you might do... you can avoid a lot of collisions and laugh inside when you see the opponent FLY by after trying to hit you while you carry on your merry way unscathed. Worked very well, on the straights I would just pull over to the right side of the lane and brake when I got to the braking points so they couldnt ram me from behind and it worked pretty much 9 out of ten times and gives you satisfcation that your race isnt ruined by a stupid punter!
 
I was on Fuji 800 last night again.... and I have been paying attention to the punters tricks... I must say if you anticpate what the person behind you might do... you can avoid a lot of collisions and laugh inside when you see the opponent FLY by after trying to hit you while you carry on your merry way unscathed. Worked very well, on the straights I would just pull over to the right side of the lane and brake when I got to the braking points so they couldnt ram me from behind and it worked pretty much 9 out of ten times and gives you satisfcation that your race isnt ruined by a stupid punter!
lol yes:D:tup:
As much as they try to anticipate your movement on the track so they can 'punt' you off, you can anticipate there actions of trying to punt you...this gives you an ability to dodge them, and I agree it is quite helarious to watch them go flying off into the Kitty Litter because they tried and failed to punt you.:sly:
Peace,
Rusty*
 
Lately I've been having a blast watching the punters slide off into the grass at Fuji pro 800,its a little slicker now since the update.:dunce:
 
It is always a blast to watch punters take themselves out , totally comical.
 
B23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0RLwKFrtCM

or show them videos like that...to show you dont have to bump everyone out of the way to over take.

EDIT: Heres link to the full length race if anyone's intersted - 14min http://www.metacafe.com/watch/538311/lotus_elise_extended/

Now that guy knows how to pass without hitting anything:tup:👍.... and I really hope Bathurst makes it into GT5.... I was watching V8 Supercars there a few days ago and it looked like a really cool circuit. In this video as well... looks very interesting...
 
We should change the word Punter to Masa.
 
Back