Purists racing in cockpit view vs exterior views

• Thread starter Paulzx
  • 346 comments
Paulzx
This is possibly the one thing that takes the shine off this game for me, because I'm more of a sim racing purist (and I know there are some others on here too), I drive every car from cockpit view. It's authentic, immersive, and this game in particular offers probably the best visually modelled cockpit views. I've been racing cockpit view for many years so it's quite instinctive. I know I sacrifice a small amount of time against others this way but generally I can hold my own easily. When it comes to the faster players out there, it does become a bit uncompetitive though, and most of the opposition do not race in this view because the general online mentality is to gain maximum advantage over any other factor.

People I race with have said they have tried cockpit view but can't get used to it. This is probably because too many alternative views are offered. I know GT Sport isn't exactly a hardcore sim but back in the day when Geoff Crammond released his F1 games, there was ONLY cockpit view, and everyone had to use it. That may be too much to deal with for todays gamers but very least we should have an option to lock the view in a lobby like Project Cars does, and offer bigger rewards to those who use this view, to encourage more people to play the way it should be played.

I know some will say they want to be allowed to use what ever view they want etc etc but frankly it's way too easy with an external view but because most people use that, it eventually forces us all to, if you really want to compete, and that is unfortunate I think because it kind of renders the cockpit view as pointless.

It's just my personal thing at the end of the day because I feel that cockpit view isn't really catered for, for players that want to use it - against other players using it because the masses are all using bumper view or the dial view. How many real life racing drivers sit on the bonnet of their cars or on the roof to drive...of course you would get a better view, but it's bit bogus really, it just feels like an acrcade game to me in those views.

If you could lock it, or there were lobby's just for cockpit view, you would know everyone has the same deal. I know the more sim orientated players will sympathise with me on this.

Absolutely disagree. I get that you are saying it is more realistic but it's so restrictive in comparison to being in a real cockpit where you can see 3 mirrors and have a peripheral vision out of your side windows, can quickly glance etc. I use chase cam as I need to see what and who is around me, as well as the angle of the car. Being a pad user, you get basically no feedback as to what direction the car is in and if it is losing traction. In cockpit view it's basically like trying to drive a car looking through a postbox.

Fair enough if you want 'cockpit only' lobbies, but forcibly restricting Sport Mode races would be unfair.

Same here, though I like the cockpit view, I don't use it often. It's hard to compare seeing cockpit on a flat TV versus being in the car for real. And on my TV, cockpit mirrors are too small

As I need to have a good rear mirror in sport mode (rammers, etc...) I mainly use the bumper view. Honestly I would love to have a rear mirror on the "hood/roof" cam, I love this position not only because of the camera elevation but also because of the sound balance (motor/transmission/wind) which is perfect for my taste :)

Cockpit view in GT is ridiculous. In PC2 I only use cockpit view because you can tweak it like you want and the FOV is way better.

In real life you have periferal vision while driving a car. In GTS you lose all of that and driving door to door with someone else is way more difficult than IRL or other games ftm.

Have you tried driving the 919 in cockpit view? Each time you turn the wheel, the hands block your view completely.

I'd be OK with the option to allow cockpit only in lobbies but not in sport mode.

i think the bonnet camera is closer to a realistic view, true you can see more of the apex than you normally could in a real car but it's otherwise a better representation of how much of your surroundings you can see. which is a shame cos the interiors look very nice but it's a problem every racing sim seems to have

I think Hosts should be able to force it on in their own lobbies, but it would be unpopular for other events.

I don't think it would be unfair - it's easy enough to get used to, but it is much harder if you are learning a track. It isn't more restrictive than real life either - it certainly is compared with driving a road car, but on track when you are sitting low down and wearing a helmet with a Hans device the view is normally very restricted.

For a lot of people I think it would improve their driving if they got used to cockpit view as it requires better track knowledge, but it won't happen as it is unpopular and a fair bit slower - especially at first.

It isn't more restrictive than real life either - it certainly is compared with driving a road car, but on track when you are sitting low down and wearing a helmet with a Hans device the view is normally very restricted.
Not even close

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

Saying your view from the cockpit in GTS isn't more restricted than in real life is just silly.
This is basically cockpit view in GTS:

IMG_1157.PNG

For a lot of people I think it would improve their driving if they got used to cockpit view as it requires better track knowledge

No it wouldn't

Last edited:
I get why you might want to be able to set a lobby to cockpit only, but for everything else, no.

This isn't a hardcore racing sim. It wasn't designed to be as such. It was designed to be an accessible, semi-realistic racing game which caters for all players. You want to drive a Le Mans prototype in cockpit view around the Nurb 24 with no dials, no display and all assists off? Then you can. If you want to drive a Suzuki swift with all the assists on, using the '3rd person' camera then fair enough.

The whole point of sport mode is that it tries to pair you with people who are the same pace as you - be it cockpit cam, bumper cam, no assists, all assists. It doesn't matter to me and the principle stands that it shouldn't matter in sport mode if the matching works as intended.

I know some will say they want to be allowed to use what ever view they want etc etc
They should be able to use whatever view they want.

but frankly it's way too easy with an external view but because most people use that,
I find exterior view far harder than cockpit view.

it eventually forces us all to, if you really want to compete, and that is unfortunate I think because it kind of renders the cockpit view as pointless.
No it doesn't.

Now how realistic GTS's cockpit view is depends totally on how big your monitor is and how far away from it you sit, but given that the default FOV is quite wide then its far from accurate in that regard as well.

All this would do is further split up the player base. Frankly I can't see why other peoples' view choice affects your enjoyment of the game. Cockpit view may be harder to use but it doesn't stop you from doing your best if you are used to it, which I suspect you are. Anyway, if you really feel it affects your enjoyment of the game then it would be fine to have as an option in lobbies, but to introduce cockpit view-only Sport Mode races would be disjointing to the game overall. As for FIA races, no comment.

i think the bonnet camera is closer to a realistic view, true you can see more of the apex than you normally could in a real car but it's otherwise a better representation of how much of your surroundings you can see. which is a shame cos the interiors look very nice but it's a problem every racing sim seems to have

I dont think iRacing members complain about the "cockpit" view (or AC or Pcars for that matter) the same way GTS players do.
Since I could be considered a "purist" (I always use "cockpit") I think that forcing that view in Sport mode is not a good idea for these reasons:
a. Most GTS players are not "hardcore sim" players.They dont like the cockpit view and they will never like it.Either way the majority of GTS players do not use it and would not accept getting forced to use it.
b. They way that view is designed by PD is so poor that even some "hardcore" sim players will option not to use it (yes its that bad).
c. There are various camera views in games for a simple reason: people can use the one they prefer.You cannot give 5 different options but then say "You can only use one of those".If PD wanted to create a more "hardcore" experience,apart from other things,they should have just created only one view.
So even if I personally would be fine with "cockpit" view only,at this point I dont find it a good idea.

I know the feeling :(

To start with I used cockpit view with all aids off. But it’s harder to hit apexes and even harder to drive door-to-door this way because the view is so much more restricted.

Now in sports mode I use bumper cam with countersteer assistance and radar to make sure I’m 100% competitive. I hang my head in shame :(

Now I just use VR on the Nurburgring whenever I want my realism fix.

It’s not impossible though. The race below was done in cockpit cam with no radar!

Not trying to be jerk but does the full cage, driving suit/gloves, and safety nets not give it away?

Yes, it's a real race car. Both images are a M6 GT3.

I think he meant the first view, which looks like it is from GT Sport, given the timer in the middle of the screen

Another "force people to play it my way" thread. :rolleyes:

I think they should add catastrophic damage to the game, so when you wreck, your car is finished! If you hit hard enough, they should replicate recovery time....fine, it can be sped up....but it's still unrealistic that I can crash and still race in the same day, much less the same race. You should have to pay to repair the car and if you total the car, you should have to buy a new one.

I think they should add catastrophic damage to the game, so when you wreck, your car is finished! If you hit hard enough, they should replicate recovery time....fine, it can be sped up....but it's still unrealistic that I can crash and still race in the same day, much less the same race. You should have to pay to repair the car and if you total the car, you should have to buy a new one.

Actually realist damage is something the game needs but this is another matter.

:lol:

Funny enough that was pretty much how Grid career mode worked :lol: (the best one I’ve ever played)

Actually realist damage is something the game needs but this is another matter.

Ya, I wasn't being sarcastic (for once). I am still waiting for the full implementation of the GT5 damage. It only got pulled because of the inclusion of standard cars, which precluded the ability to have a car disintegrate. So, they implemented that stupid deformation instead. Now, nearly a decade later, it's time to bring it back.

Not sure what the problem is :/ would be a great option.

For who? If you like cockpit, you get to use it. If you don't, it's forced down your throat. How is that a "great option"?

What if there was "force controller" option? I think that would be great (because I use the controller).

Last edited:
Back