Pushrod Supercar...I love it.

• Thread starter Onikaze
  • 319 comments
Its coming to england. Its going to have direct competition with the upcoming audi R9 AKA Lemans concept which will also have around 500hp and go on sale at £60
grand.

The handbuilt 511bhp Corvette Z06 will go on sale in Europe in December. Its 7.0-litre V8, with a 7000rpm redline, is the most powerful engine yet fitted by Chevrolet or any GM brand in a production car. Capable of 198bhp and 0-60mph in 3.9seconds, it was developed alongside the C6-R racing Corvette which won its class at Le Mans this summer, and has a similar engine and powertrain, a dry-sump lubrication system and titanium and carbonfibre components to save weight. Further modifications over the standard Corvette include a tuned chassis, brakes with six-piston calipers and drilled rotors up front and four-piston calipers to the rear, and Goodyear P325/30ZR-19 Eagle F1 Supercar tyres.

The Corvette Z06 will be available in six paint colours: Le Mans Blue metallic, black, yellow, silver, Daytona Sunset Orange metallic and red. Options include polished alloy wheels, a voice-activated DVD system and a Bose seven-speaker audio system. Prices for the UK will start from around £60,000. The standard C6-series Corvette - itself producing 400bhp from its 6.0-lire V8 - costs £45,850. However, those seeking the ultimate Corvette may wish to hang on; the so-called Blue Devil prototype caught out testing by spy photographers is thought to have a supercharged version of the 7.0-litre engine, developing over 600bhp, as well as a lighter-weight body.

Driftster
it's all about dimensions....

Don't start comparing flow #'s on 2 entirely diff heads in an argument about the cfm movement of 2v vs 4v's..
I was simply making the point that 2v heads can be a viable performace option, just as 4 valve heads can. To exemplify this, I compared two sets of high performace heads designed around the same bore diameter (which means that the primary design constraint, valve shrouding, is the same for both sets of heads). There are plenty of very impressive 4v heads out there, but most people don't realize that 2v heads can flow just as much if they are well engineered.
Unless you can get the # of valves to be the only variable..it doesn't really work
Lets be really scientific then. The LS7 has a 56 mm valve, and the LT5 has two 39 mm valves. So the LS7 has 2463 sq mm intake port area, and the LT5 has 2389 sq mm intake port area. So they are very similar indeed, with a 3% difference while the head flow is 10% different.

you're right..but it isn't the size of the plate on the valve that determines how much air can get in...
it's the head...like i said unless the ONLY variable is the valves..you can't really say much..

and of course 2v's are still competative..anyone who says otherwise needs to read this thread..or any other thread based on motorsports

attachment.php

There is the Flawless Victory point of the DOHC v OHV argument.

As for the Ring, Magnussen has driven the Ring a lot...didn't they say he runs in the Nurb 24 hour race?

For GM even, in Corvettes wasn't it?

He KNOWS the track, he KNOWS the car.

7'43 for the Z06 is a good time.

7'43 for 100 more Hp, and 200 Lbs less is sad.

Yes the Z06 produces Downforce, the front lip is a splitter, the little ducktail spoiler produces downforce, I recall hearing that it loses some Cd to the stock C6, but it gains a few hundred pounds of downforce at speed, or so.

Who says cars are supposedly to be Manly?

I like my cars how I like my Women, little, lithe, and tail happy.

the 5.4 was out of a Pickup originally...it is even larger than the 4.6 pictured there.

You forgot...Get you no where fast and good around the block....

no the SOHC 5.4 was out of a pickup..

The DOHC 5.4 was out of an SUV........

and it's larger than the 4.6...But makes more power than both the 4.6 and 5.0 alot more reliably....

oh and here ya go..

1073136597la.jpg

2 valve 308

360-motor.jpg

4 valve 3.6

Just for the record, a 302 will make incredibly reliable power once you swap out the cost saving parts for sturdier bits.

There is a reason that there is a whole class of drag racing devoted entirely to the 302, it's cheap, it makes gobs of power without breaking your bank, and they are stout engines.

I was busting donuts in a 302 powered Grand Marquis, hit a Dry patch, overrevved the engine, and the ONLY thing that broke was a rocker arm bolt...

Pull it out, drop a new bolt into it...bam, good as new.

For the record, that 5.0 Liter OHV V-8 is about the size of that 3.6 Liter DOHC V-8.

There are definite upsides to OHV engines.

The similarities of a Formula 1 Engine to a Street Engine are so few as to be meaningless to this discussion.

Also, they aren't just using 4 Valve Engines, they are using 4 Valve, Overhead Cam engines.

You can have 2 Valve OHC Engines last I checked.

You are saying for some reason that Formula 1 should switch to 2 Valve Engines, when we are talking about Pushrod and OHC engines, which differ in a lot more ways than just the number of Valves.

Young_Warrior
Its coming to england. Its going to have direct competition with the upcoming audi R9 AKA Lemans concept which will also have around 500hp and go on sale at £60
grand.
60k, not as high as I was expecting (I was expecting 70k), I don't see how they can price this only 5k more than a C6 cabriolet though. Also the base C6 was going to be priced at 45k, but dealers are selling them for 50k+, the last time I checked 5 had been sold in the UK, i's probably in double figures now, I haven't seen one on the road yet, I've seen one in Bauer and Millet but they sell imported models. 60k puts it at 10k less than a T400R but 10k more than a Sagaris so it could be better but it's not that bad a price really, the base C6 is still well overpriced for what you get though. I'm thinking the Z06 will go round a track in a similar speed to a Sagaris, it's similar straight line performance, the T400R will beat both in a straight line but it's not setup for the trackas well as a Sagaris so the times would still be similar. The T440R would be the fastest but thats 75k and the Typhon is a true supercar, and very cheap considering. So all in all a better price than I predicted, but will the dealers sell it at that price like most arn't with the C6.

Of course, Corvettes don't fall apart when they get off the lot.

Sorry...couldn't help but make the TVR joke...

After all, Terrible Vehicle Reliability is just too funny.

Well neither do TVR's, that jokes probably older than you. TVR's arn't unreliable, where doesthis reputation come from, people in the US always talk about TVR's being unreliable, they arn't. If everyone from the UK talked about Corvettes being unreliable, you'd think we were on crack, well same thing here. They have quality issues with regards to trim, but they arn't unreliable, they don't break down regular. The only ones that did break down more ofter werethe highly tuned AJP8 engined cars because people were over revving them without warming them up despite being told many times that race car engines need to be treated a bit different to road car engines. But that was only a brief spell and limited to a couple of models. I'd much rather a TVR Tuscan Speed six than a C6 cabriolet and the chancerr of the TVR breaking down are probably as slim as the C6's.

Honestly, i'd think the C6 z06 would break down before a TVr..just because of the sheer stress that is being put on the engine..
I'm not saying it's unreliable...but as a wear and tear factor....a 11:1 compression ratio and 7000rpm's....seems a little bit more to handle than say 400HP out of a inline 6

The Z06 should be pretty reliable, GM has spent a ton of money testing and testing the motor to make sure everything works correctly. However if you race any car the motor is going to break quicker then if it was just a daily driver. But like I said the motor proved to be good in testing.

Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

BlazinXtreme, I really appreciate all of the info that you are giving us about the Corvette, but isnt there something you should keep your mouth shut on? :odd:

I just thought that usually people who work in these big time corporations have to keep their mouth shut to the public about new things. (Unless it was planned of course) :embarrassed:

BTW, I dont really mean to say "SHUT UP!" I mean like I think you might be giving out information that GM woundn't want you to talk about to the public.

Well, technically, the Z06 is already released to the public, right? I'm pretty sure that GM won't give Blazin a hard time over something that's already on sale...

As far as the Formula One argument is concerned, F1 uses a pneumatic valvetrain with no mechanical actuators so OHC v OHV is a moot point since there are no cams to speak of.

I'm allowed to talk about things, I don't say anything I'm not supposed to. Trust me there is some stuff that I know that I can't tell you guys because its underwraps. But since the Z06 is on sale I am able to talk about things. I just however can't show you guys any pictures of the Vette since well I work around stuff that won't be out for years.

Trust me I won't say anything that is to bad since well my job is at stake and I don't want to lose that.

Which is fair enough......

So what stuff can't you tell us? Lol, jsut kidding, it's the same with me when I'm talking about certain areas of communications, I have signed plenty of forms prohibiting me from talking about certain things. Not many people want talk about phones online anyway.

Actually, the TVR jokes came from British Magazines that we get imported over here.

Car, Top Gear, and another I can't think of...plus that Max rag...

The Engine in the Vette was designed in conjunction with the Le Mans Vettes engine...

I think 24 hours of Racing is a good test of Reliability...

The Tech from the C5R engine has Trickled down, and the LS7 shares more with the C6R's engine, last I checked, than the C6R's does with the C5R's engine.

Considered how detuned the LS7 is by comparison to a full race engine, I don't think reliability will be a problem at all...

Well, Until people start changing rev limiters, reflashing chips, and trying to twin turbocharge them without getting the proper level of engine work done first.

I do recall hearing about GM thrashing a Z06 around Road Atlanta for 24 hours straight though.

I expect it from TopGear, they take this piss out of most cars. Reliability is a problem in neither if you drive them as road cars, as soon as you race them, as Blazin said, engine life deteriorates rapidly. Anyway, jst to finalise, TVR's arn't unreliable as in they don't break down any more than your average sportscar from Japan, US, Italy, German or UK ect. However they do have build quality issues in some areas regarding the trim, Smolenski is working to improve this area. the jokes have been around but we don't hear them anymore over here exept the oddone on ToGear but even then they're rare now. It is literally the same as me claiming the Vette is unreliable, not true.

BlazinXtreme
The Z06 should be pretty reliable, GM has spent a ton of money testing and testing the motor to make sure everything works correctly. However if you race any car the motor is going to break quicker then if it was just a daily driver. But like I said the motor proved to be good in testing.
I'm sure that the LS2/LS7 proved to be very reliable in testing..but where I worry is in the factory quality control. GM has good designs, but I don't think that the QC is up to snuff (it may have gotten better in the last few years). There is a lot of variation between different cars. Case in point: most people consider the L98 to be a engine of iffy quality, but there is at least one Camaro out here that has been racing for 11 seasons with only stock maintenance on the bottom end with a biggish nitrous hit (forget the exact values). I don't think every L98 was built that well. LT1s/LS1s are known for a recurring oil leak from somewhere around the valley pan.

The engine was developed in part with the Le Mans program, so its not terriably unreliable, but if you rag on any car long enough you will break it. Yes the Z06 engine at least does have high compression, but the engine was engineered for that and should hold its own. But if you are going to race it don't expect the motor to last a 100,000.

In test I'm not sure how many miles they've put on the car, I'm sure they have one with well over 80,000 if not more on it. I design brackets and stuff for the car, but I also get to play with it on occasion. I wish I was in the testing department.

Back