Pushrod Supercar...I love it.

• Thread starter Onikaze
  • 319 comments
McLaren'sAngel
Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

You are scarring me! :nervous: You big darn meenie! :ouch: :embarrassed:
I'm sure you'll like it...at the end you build a fiberglass T-bucket with a 350 Chev (or thats what I have heard).

I think lots of people enroll thinking it's not going to be "real" school, but just like when you learn anything else, you will have to study. Which campus are you going to?

skip0110
I'm sure you'll like it...at the end you build a fiberglass T-bucket with a 350 Chev (or thats what I have heard).

I think lots of people enroll thinking it's not going to be "real" school, but just like when you learn anything else, you will have to study. Which campus are you going to?

Yea I sm very sure that I will like it! :embarrassed: We do get to build up that Chevy 350 block and put it in a fiberglass T-bucket. That assignment is for figuring out with XXXX amount of money, ( I think its 3,000) what kind of engine mods will bring out more HP on the dyno. :embarrassed:

It is true that many people who enroll think of it as not being a real school. For those who do, they drop out because they cannot handle it. I heard that UTI will always have some students dropping out is because they either can't afford to live in an area they don't know or because its too difficult. Students who have good grades in high school are likely to stay for the entire program while students who just barely graduate have a ridiculous amount of chance to get out because they simply don't like to study. :grumpy:

I am going to the Rancho Cucomonga campus by the way.

Back on topic! :embarrassed:

Sometimes I wonder...if there are all these rules and regulations for racing, do that mean that all the cars are ALMOST the same? :odd: If they are, then it is really only the drivers that really matter. It makes no sense to me now how some can say "ooooo the Corvette won again! So that means its GOOD!" if all the cars are almost equal by rules and regulations.

Please help me understand! :nervous:

The rules are there to make it so the cars will have sinilar specs, however the cars themselves are not almost the same. Thwe power outputs should be similar and the straight line speed should be similar, but each car is still different in the size of the chassis, CoG, wheelbase, engine position, suspension, and the cars settings as well as the driver. So you can have car A and car B both having a 4.6 litre V8 pushing 600Bhp, car A has a lower CoG and a wider track and also has a slightly longer wheelbase than car B, they are racing at a high speed circuit like Enna. The only way car B will beat car A is if the driver of car A is bad or crashes, car A retuires from the race, or the mechanics set up car A all wrongfor the track. Basically, car A is the better of the two and if the setups correct for the car, it will be noticably so.

This i a generalisation ofcourse, there may be exeptions but whilst the power figures and certain components will be similar or the same from car to car, theres still a lot of parts that don't effect power figures ect that may be different. Some race series require almost identical cars, or even identical cars so it's only the setup, pit strategy and the driver that decides who wins but GT racing gives you an element of freedom in certain areas of the cars design.

And good luck at UTI, do you start this year then?

Who knows, thats just an estimate. The C6R coiuld have 650Bhp, besides that the power changes fron day to day, it's different on race day than qualifying. Theres not going to be more than 20-25Bhp between them though.

live4speed
The rules are there to make it so the cars will have sinilar specs, however the cars themselves are not almost the same. Thwe power outputs should be similar and the straight line speed should be similar, but each car is still different in the size of the chassis, CoG, wheelbase, engine position, suspension, and the cars settings as well as the driver. So you can have car A and car B both having a 4.6 litre V8 pushing 600Bhp, car A has a lower CoG and a wider track and also has a slightly longer wheelbase than car B, they are racing at a high speed circuit like Enna. The only way car B will beat car A is if the driver of car A is bad or crashes, car A retuires from the race, or the mechanics set up car A all wrongfor the track. Basically, car A is the better of the two and if the setups correct for the car, it will be noticably so.

This i a generalisation ofcourse, there may be exeptions but whilst the power figures and certain components will be similar or the same from car to car, theres still a lot of parts that don't effect power figures ect that may be different. Some race series require almost identical cars, or even identical cars so it's only the setup, pit strategy and the driver that decides who wins but GT racing gives you an element of freedom in certain areas of the cars design.

And good luck at UTI, do you start this year then?

Thanks for clearing this up! :embarrassed: One thing I am still a bit shaky about when it comes to these kinds of racing is that whats the purpose of it? :odd: Do car manufactors participate in these races for bragging right or is there some beneficial thing about it? :odd:

Yea, I start UTI this year! Thank you for the luck! I am sure I am going to be needing it...Darn heat and the prices of gas :grumpy:

Bragging rights, marketing exposure, engineering development, tradition. There are many reasons why a manufacturer participates in sports car racing.

For General Motors, participating at Le Mans has been a matter of pride. Not only have they been participating to one-up the "upstart" Viper, but also to prove the Corvette capable of running with and beating the rest of the world's greats. Corvette has, of course, run at Le Mans in years past with varying levels of success (the near stock Corvette coupe of 1967 and the infamous Greenwood "Spirit of Le Mans '76" come to mind) but now they are the car to beat and that has paid dividends in international respect for Corvette performance.

For Saleen, running the S7R at Le Mans has proved irreplacable in giving the car a measure of respectability and pedigree in motorsports. Although the rules have put a hamper on the car's development until recently (as proven by Acemco's run at Mosport), the Saleen's racing has made the Saleen S7 a coveted supercar that will remain amongst us for some time, rather than another rich man's egomobile.

For Ferrari and Aston Martin, Le Mans is a natural. Both manufacturers have peppered the Circuit de la Sarthe with awesome machines since the 1950's, and have made their names with overall and class wins. History practically demands their presence.

Sports car racing is a clash of pride and passion that rewards its success stories with a sort of nobility amongst sports cars. Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Corvette, and most recently Viper, their Le Mans victories established them as sports car royalty.

And for Zonda, Saleen, TVR, and so many more, every time their cars roll onto a sports car grid it's a chance to ascend into the noble elite of sports cars. It's something that can never be truly taken away from a manufacturer once it's achieved (hello Maserati) and it's immaterial to gain.

Who knows, maybe the next dynasty of motorsport is taking shape on some drawing board, a few years from getting ready to roll out for Sebring.

Young_Warrior
620 Hp The C6r Produces
This from someone that doesn't know the Z06 ring lap times? I don' t think your little google answers are going to fly. 7:42.99, pretty broadly stated in ALL the mags, with Jan Magnussen at the wheel. There is a guy at pratt & miller on one of the vette forums I visit, and he says it only puts out 580-590, depending on conditions. I'm not trying to start a fight, but we've had this discussion (and every aspect of it) at least 2 times before. And Live4speed, you ought to know better. How many times have we discussed this? Or do you just have a bad memory?

The C6.R has already recieved a weight penalty for this year, and are running slower than the other cars in the field. They keep winning because their pit crews are better and the cars are more reliable. So, speaking of reliability testing for the Z06 engine, it has the best pedigree of anything with a race version running in any of the Lemans series.

skicrush
This from someone that doesn't know the Z06 ring lap times? I don' t think your little google answers are going to fly. 7:42.99, pretty broadly stated in ALL the mags, with Jan Magnussen at the wheel. There is a guy at pratt & miller on one of the vette forums I visit, and he says it only puts out 580-590, depending on conditions. I'm not trying to start a fight, but we've had this discussion (and every aspect of it) at least 2 times before. And Live4speed, you ought to know better. How many times have we discussed this? Or do you just have a bad memory?

The C6.R has already recieved a weight penalty for this year, and are running slower than the other cars in the field. They keep winning because their pit crews are better and the cars are more reliable. So, speaking of reliability testing for the Z06 engine, it has the best pedigree of anything with a race version running in any of the Lemans series.
The C6R has recieved a weight penanlty in the ALMS, however the stock weight is lower than the C5R. I don't follow the ALMS so I don't care if weight penalties are added or not. The average power of a GTS/GT1 car is all you can go with for the C6R, thats widely regarded as 620Bhop, however no one can know for sure, and as I've said it depends on a few things and will change from race to race. As for the ring times, GM have not said that was done by the Z06, that time is still not official and regardless of what the media says until it's confirmed that it was a Z06 you can't say it definitely was. Ask Blazin who WORKS for GM if they have said anything about it being a Z06 time and they havn't so sorry if I listen to a GM employee over a journalist.

A few GM people know if it's a standard C6 Z06 or not, but no one else knows. Not even Blazin knows unless he's very recently found out. It may be a stock Z06 but it may not be, it may be a Z06 with better tyres it might be the Blue Devil concept, we don't know. But some people (I'm talking media here) jump the gun and start blabbing. What I'm interested in is that if that is a stock Z06, why has GM not said heres a lap of a Z06 we did yet, since thats a good lap time.

Didn't Hill, or whoever it was in charge of the C6 Z06 post on one of the GM boards during a Q&A session and confirm that the C6 Z51 ran a 7'59, the C5 Z06 ran a 7'56, and the C6 Z06 ran a 7'43(7'42.9, whatever) with Magnussen at the wheel, who has also been quoted saying it was a Z06.

The ONLY people who have said it was the Blue Devil was a couple of Journalists who claimed to have heard an odd whine sound and attributed it to a supercharger.

Has anyone hear heard a C6 Z06 engine revving and sucking in air at speed?

Do we know if it has any whine or not?

Remember, besides the pride matter ("an American car couldn't run with European sports cars, that's unheard of") the only thing keeping anyone from believe it was a C6 Z06 (who coincidentally are using the 'it's just unofficial media' excuse) is the report of a journalist who basically said it went fast and sounded funny.

Unofficial Media much?

Onikaze
Didn't Hill, or whoever it was in charge of the C6 Z06 post on one of the GM boards during a Q&A session and confirm that the C6 Z51 ran a 7'59, the C5 Z06 ran a 7'56, and the C6 Z06 ran a 7'43(7'42.9, whatever) with Magnussen at the wheel, who has also been quoted saying it was a Z06.

Is there a link of some sort about your information? :odd:

Onikaze

The ONLY people who have said it was the Blue Devil was a couple of Journalists who claimed to have heard an odd whine sound and attributed it to a supercharger.

Has anyone hear heard a C6 Z06 engine revving and sucking in air at speed?

Do we know if it has any whine or not?

Remember, besides the pride matter ("an American car couldn't run with European sports cars, that's unheard of") the only thing keeping anyone from believe it was a C6 Z06 (who coincidentally are using the 'it's just unofficial media' excuse) is the report of a journalist who basically said it went fast and sounded funny.

Unofficial Media much?
It's unofficial when GM don't come forward andsay it was a Z06. It may have been, it may not have been, but if GM arn't coming forward and giving any info on it, you can bet theres a reason and that would probably prevent the driver and anystaff from saying anything too. Ask Blazin if it makes a whine ornot, he'll know. But my point stands, if the Z06 has ran that time, great, but until GM comes forward and says yes that was a Z06, heres the proof, your guessing. I thik if it was a Z06 it wasn't totally stock, maybe it just had different tyres on, but if it was stock then I see no reason why GM wouldn't say anything. But now I'm speculating too, it can be a messy game when all we need to do is all agree not to read anything into it until we KNOW.

For the last time "DON'T BELIEVE THOSE TIMES!!!!" All that has been said was the Corvette ran under 8 minutes. That can be anything from 1 millisecond to 7.59.99.

The Z06 does have a wine to it, but then again it is sucking a massive amount of air into the engine. It doesn't sound like a supercharger what so ever. Just like a big sucking sound...wow that was dirty :lol:...anyways the Blue Devil is classified.

So blazin....

Do you think it was a publicity stunt?

Getting the magazines to photo and get some "times" of a car that could have been the z06..so that places like this would post "The z06 runs x'xx:xx @ the ring and breaks records" which would undoubtedly boost sales in the long run...

Of course GM loves this marketing BS and they do it quite often. I think its stupid but whatever, what do I know I just make brackets. The said under 8 minutes which lead the magazines to guess. They took a blue Z06 to the ring to make people wonder about the Blue Devil.

GM will release the time when they are good and ready to.

the blue devil COULD be real...

The time at the ring COULD be fake..

the z06 COULD be the blue devil's guise....

so many what ifs from GM..

DAMMIT JUST TELL US

Lets do some simple reasoning here.

The Car they had at the Ring was Blue.

GM KNOWS we have been drooling over the thought of a Blue Devil.

The time they set was fast for a 500 Hp Car.

The time they set was slow for a 600 Hp Car.

There was a whining sound reported by a guy who spends his time at the Nurburgring photographic cars as they whiz by.

GM has yet to say "that was not the Z06."

GM has yet to say "that was the Z06."

The C6 Z06 just launched.

From all appearances, the completely undisguised nature of the car, the fact that it did what a Z06 should do, and even Blazin admitting two things, one, he just doesn't know for sure what it was, and two, it does have a whine to it's intake sound, I think it is more than reasonable to believe the car ran the 7'43.

Then, lets look at some other things, the C5 Z06 ran a 7'56, right?

The C6 Z51 is for all intents and purposes as fast a a C5 Z06.

To expect that an extra 100 Horsepower, a hundred or so less pounds, and all sorts of other technical Gee-Whiz bits they've stuffed into that car couldn't shave any more than 10 seconds off the lap time, in the hands of a Nurburgring Expert, is, frankly, ridiculous.

Then, to go even further, and speculate about a car that we can only guess has an additional 100 Horsepower, and a couple hundred fewer pounds of weight, and assume that with all of THAT technical Whiz-Bang, it only managed to shave another 3-5 seconds off the time?

For comparison, the Carrera GT weighs 3042 Lbs, has 612 Hp at 8,000 Rpm, and 35 less Lb Ft of Torque than the Z06 does.

So, a Blue Devil, speculated at anywhere from 600-650 Hp, likely having 500+ Lb Ft of Torque, and weighing in at a rumored 2900 lbs can ONLY get within 10 seconds of the CGT?

This isn't the 1960's...American Cars can in fact turn left and right, well.

Back