Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
Hello Ian,

to further enhance the experience I intend to build a motion cockpit (3DOF seat-mover + VR) but the LiveTrack 3.0 and new grip limit behavior really got me hyped... so I thought about adding yaw as well for traction loss simulation. I heard it is quite pointless unless rallying though. Would you advise to stick with the inputs from the wheel or could yaw greatly take advantage of the new tech in pCARS2 ?

What you at SMS (drivers included) think about this ?

Cheers !

Man! Let me borrow some money ha. I cant even afford a wheel right now with a wife and two kids. Jealous!!

Please go into detail on how the updated "Pit Stop Strategy" menu will work versus what is in the current game. Specifically how it will work for Online races. For Offline, you can Pause the game for days and take all the time you want, so it isn't truly pressing. Online, though, is another matter because you may only have 10 seconds to get it all done. And still, the game might glitch and not change your tires at all.

For me personally, the Pit Stop Strategy is the single, and only, aspect of the current game I do not enjoy. In fact, I abhor it. In my opinion, it is the only glaring blemish on an otherwise sublime game.
Yeah, those screens confused me too, always sucked when you got released with the same damn fuel level. #RaceOver

Ok so I hope Ian doesn't mind but I'm gonna admit that we think CodeMasters did a decent job with their little pop-up menu that you can navigate while driving. We're gonna take it in that direction and try to get it nice and stream-lined. So you can just flip open that menu with a button or D-Pad press and either choose one of your preset strategies or select your fuel/tyre/wings much faster than the last game.

Yeah, those screens confused me too, always sucked when you got released with the same damn fuel level. #RaceOver

Ok so I hope Ian doesn't mind but I'm gonna admit that we think CodeMasters did a decent job with their little pop-up menu that you can navigate while driving. We're gonna take it in that direction and try to get it nice and stream-lined. So you can just flip open that menu with a button or D-Pad press and either choose one of your preset strategies or select your fuel/tyre/wings much faster than the last game.
I for one, commend your team for that. I do know of one developer that doesn't even look at any other game, to see what's new or viable. Press on! :cheers:

Yeah that's just dumb on them. To beat the competition you gotta know your competition. And be willing to admit areas they could be doing a better job than you, where you need to catch up to the field.

Ain't no driver in history always in P1 right? Except Dale Jr., man he's always P1 in my book.

Mokh6WM.gif

At least one of the guys in the PCARS league I am in has a pit-stop issue every single race. They would Pit, but the game would not change their tires. This is especially annoying because there isn't even an option in game to NOT change your tires. This bug effectively ends the race for whoever it chooses to strike. It's Pit Crew Roulette.

Last edited:
Hi Ian... I remember reading in the first news items when pCars 2 was announced that "banned race cars" were going to be in the game. To me this meant cars like the 1970 Chaparral 2J, 1978 Brabham BT46B and the 6 wheeled Tyrrell P34 were all possible entries. Can you shed any light on the inclusion of any of these amazing vehicles? Will the game still be adding cars of that description? Thanks Ian... And I love pCars and can't wait for pCars2!

Hello Ian,

Thank you for taking the time here.

I am a PS4 player using a Fanatec setup. Yours is the only racing game on PS4 that still allows that. Will PC2 allow me to use my Fanatec?

I have built up a large list of clean racing friends and do not want to walk away from them if I will only be able to use my Fanatec on Xbox one to play PC2.

I realize this may largely or entirely be out of you control but I am curious all the same

Thank you for whatever you guys did to allow me to continue to use my Fanatec with PCars.

1. What percentage of the car list is SMS designed cars and what percent is real world brands? Personally, I loved that pCARS 1 filled in its car roster with fantasy cars where licenses weren't feasible. Same question with tracks.

2. Firm DLC release schedule or loose as we go?

3. Stance on paid DLC vs free and community splintering? Non dlc interaction with dlc owners?

4. Air density, humidity, altitude part of physics?

5. Corner cutting. How are you enforcing it?

6. Multichannel sound support? Dolby Atmos? Any room to grow in this area via sound engine?

7. VR performance optimizations? pCARS 1 was pretty rough in this regard. VR SLI?

Hi Ian it's me again! @paskowitz question above actually reminded me of something... I play pCars on a hardcore PC setup. I also own an Oculus Rift CV1. One of my gripes with the VR aspect in pCars was this... When racing in open wheeled cars and turning your head to look back, the rear wheels were simply black blocks with strange texture patterns instead of the super detailed wheels that were rendered up front. My question is that in pCars 2 IF VR is supported (PLEASE!) will issues like these be addressed? Thanks again Ian!

Yeah that's just dumb on them. To beat the competition you gotta know your competition. And be willing to admit areas they could be doing a better job than you, where you need to catch up to the field.

Ain't no driver in history always in P1 right? Except Dale Jr., man he's always P1 in my book.
What about Simon Pagenaud? He's always first in NASCAR. Or is he called Jean Girard.

Hello

the replay/Photomode will receive improvements? (PS4/Xbox)

trucks?

170 cars, with or without dlc?

Last edited:
@IanBell I have an interesting question :)

Does PCARS2 capture the atmosphere of a race weekend? I find F1 2016 does this brilliantly (Engineers on the grid and handing you tablet to change setups, pit crews, pit boards on main straights etc etc. PCars 1 was feeling a little lifeless.

Superb stuff. I've been really encouraged recently to see SMS personnel publicly recognise where the first game fell short in certain areas, and outline their plans to correct them in pCARS 2. I always hoped you were your own worst critics and weren't too proud to admit where the game needed attention. The openness and honesty on display here is absolutely the right way to retain existing fans, win back some you lost and get new ones on board. Long may this kind of communication continue. :cheers:

4. Air density, humidity, altitude part of physics?

5. Corner cutting. How are you enforcing it?

6. Multichannel sound support? Dolby Atmos? Any room to grow in this area via sound engine?

7. VR performance optimizations? pCARS 1 was pretty rough in this regard. VR SLI?
4. Yes, most of this was in pC1 already

5. We have invisible zones and you get warnings/penalties if you drive into them so drive clean

6. Yeah good multichannel now, you can hear which tire is locking up for example, we got that separated out nicely now.

7. Always want to keep VR a barf-free experience.

Up to 4 classes. So i just finished an LMP1, P2, GTE, GT3 test today. Yeah GTE/LM and GT3 are separate classes. I think there's like 30 or more classes altogether.
You're killin' me. 👍

Something I posted in the General thread.
Just realised something. You SMS guys think you're slick. Giving us control to drive in the pit lane. Different surface to the track, add water, cool conditions. It's going to be interesting hitting those box markers. 👍
;)

Um, hey @IanBell. Just two quick questions. Will the GT3 class ever be divided into seperate GT3/GTLM classes? and are there any plans to introduce a variant of the Ferrari 458? Thanks.

Hi MrWaflz55!

Um, hey @IanBell. Just two quick questions. Will the GT3 class ever be divided into seperate GT3/GTLM classes? and are there any plans to introduce a variant of the Ferrari 458? Thanks.

This will answer your question.

Up to 4 classes. So i just finished an LMP1, P2, GTE, GT3 test today. Yeah GTE/LM and GT3 are separate classes. I think there's like 30 or more classes altogether.

Hi @IanBell 👍, great to have the opportunity to speak with you. I want to congratulate you and your team in the development of Project Cars 2, I can't wait:)👍.

Are we getting the same tuning ability as in PCARS, or have you redone that, refined it, or simplified it?

In the addition of Interlagos, are you considering in adding more Brazil tracks, like Autódromo Internacional Ayrton Senna Londrina, Autódromo Internacional Ayrton Senna De GOIÂNIA, Autódromo Velo Cittá?, I'd like those tracks in your game Ian:cheers:.

One specific requests Ian, would you in a future plan, consider adding the Danish track "Jyllands Ringen", into your game. I'm from Denmark, so that would be awesome:).

Will we have the Honda NSX 1992 & 1993, maybe with Ayrton Senna specs?

Hope everything is going as planned, can't wait to play Project Cars 2:cheers:

Project Cars 1 had lots of fantasy liveries which whilst well designed couldn't quite match the feeling of the driving with the real world designs for me. Will PCARS2 give a good selection of historically-accurate liveries for the anoraks like me?

/Off topic: I like the way the developers are getting involved with the community, they sound full of confidence with the game, it reminds me of Paul Rustchynsky with DriveClub

Back