Quality over Quantity (GT7)

quality or quantity

• Total voters
So everyone is a bigot if they don't like Gran Turismo and it's 1200 magical cars plus we're also bigots if we don't kiss Kaz 🤬 and wipe it for him got it.

I don't recall anyone saying that.

Honestly dude you have no idea what you're speaking or writing you want to stay complacent is all I hear, and polls still mean something they aren't complete picture, but a glimpse of one.

You only hear what you want to hear, is my point.

I am far from complacent, my demands on the series are as ridiculously lofty as anyone else's. But because they're not the same as yours, I must be some kind of imbecile.

I love Gran Turismo...but I don't think getting into an Internet War is worth it. It is silly. And as much we are fans and there are things we would love to see in the games because we are fans and we are passionate...it is a game and not the meaning of life. Take it easy. Ultimately the game is Kaz's vision and we shouldn't knock him too hard. It's quite an ambitious task he wants to achieve and I think a lot of us would like to be in his shoes.

I don't recall anyone saying that.

You only hear what you want to hear, is my point.

I am far from complacent, my demands on the series are as ridiculously lofty as anyone else's. But because they're not the same as yours, I must be some kind of imbecile.

Well you are what you speak so be it. All this stuff said in this post is exactly how I feel about you.

Gotta' love the hilariously biased poll. I'm definitely adding ''jaggedy doodoo PS2 cars'' to my vocabulary.

Lovely, lovely poll with well researched facts and clear intent for including every side of the debate indeed. Great work, I'll most certainly not vote in sheer amazement at this poll.

I love Gran Turismo...but I don't think getting into an Internet War is worth it. It is silly.
image.jpg

JK....:cheers:

I'd rather have 400 accurate cars, which you can "live into" to master and become competitive. Otherwise you'll be like Jay Leno and just have a day with a car, and just keep it in your collection.

I'd rather have 400 accurate cars, which you can "live into" to master and become competitive. Otherwise you'll be like Jay Leno and just have a day with a car, and just keep it in your collection.

You can't tell some people, but I blame this video

MPP-8102.jpg

Change out Trains with Cars and you get what I mean.

There was a project a few years ago that would let you take apart the engine and look for damage and signs of wear and tear etc.

Is that the kind of detail you mean? Only, it didn't really get anywhere; it was only going to have a couple of cars, too.

I drive a jaggedy doodoo in real life, so do my friends, family and neighbours. One friend has a premium rx2.

I'd like to see all this replicated in GT7

Thanks

The poll suggestions made me laugh. If Polyphony managed quality AND quantity at the same time, that would be nice. Preferably quality.

What kind of quality?
Quality as in gameplay, car sounds, etc.

About the standard cars, I wouldn't mind the standards if every standard in the game are as good looking like the RUFs.
I also wouldn't mind the standards if they all looked like this:
n5sk.jpg

No jagged lines, no muddy textures.

I also noticed that some of the premium race cars have 'muddy' textures as well. Mainly the sponsor logos like on the Xanavi Nismo Z '06.

Quality as in gameplay, car sounds, etc.

But what does that have to do with the car models?

About the standard cars, I wouldn't mind the standards if every standard in the game are as good looking like the RUFs.
I also wouldn't mind the standards if they all looked like this:
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/6476/n5sk.jpg
No jagged lines, no muddy textures.

There's a good chance PD are attempting to achieve that, in my opinion. This is why I keep asking whether people would take Premiums without interiors over Standards.

I also noticed that some of the premium race cars have 'muddy' textures as well. Mainly the sponsor logos like on the Xanavi Nismo Z '06.

The PS3 is severely limited in texture memory. ;)
Some cars resort to using polygons for their liveries!

But what does that have to do with the car models?

There's a good chance PD are attempting to achieve that, in my opinion. This is why I keep asking whether people would take Premiums without interiors over Standards.

The PS3 is severely limited in texture memory. ;)
Some cars resort to using polygons for their liveries!
You asked me what kind of quality I wanted so I answered with what I wanted the most: better sounds and gameplay.

Though standards are likely to stay in GT7 according to Kaz, we could have around 600 premium cars in GT7, if they were to add around 150 new ones. Currently, there are 454 premium cars in GT6, which isn't too bad compared to Forza 4's 500 or so car list.

Chances are, they'll be more premium cars in GT7 than there are in any other racing game's full car list. The Standard cars will be there for those who want them, and they're likely to have been touched up a bit so they look the part. I sincerely hope not a single car in GT7 has low res, PS2 textures.

My prediction is... they'll be plenty of Premium cars to go round, and the standards will be pretty much premiums without interiors. That to me, sounds pretty promising. With a team as small as PD, we're unlikely to see standards disappear until GT8, so I'm not surprised standards are likely to return in GT7.

You asked me what kind of quality I wanted so I answered with what I wanted the most: better sounds and gameplay.
Ah, I see. I still don't think those two are really affected by the Standards, though.

Sounds are high on my list, and "gameplay" is a bit subjective, really; I actually think PD should add more quantity on that front, by offering different modes of play to eliminate the imposing barrier that a traditional "GT mode" with 1000+ cars (drip-feeding / "grinding") represents.

and "gameplay" is a bit subjective, really; I actually think PD should add more quantity on that front, by offering different modes of play to eliminate the imposing barrier that a traditional "GT mode" with 1000+ cars (drip-feeding / "grinding") represents.

Here's a test I like to apply to a game regarding game-play.

If the core game-play is generally considered as grinding, then it needs a re-write.

In a racing game, the racing is meant to be enjoyable, not simply a dull repetitive task to achieve something else.

Here's a test I like to apply to a game regarding game-play.

If the core game-play is generally considered as grinding, then it needs a re-write.

In a racing game, the racing is meant to be enjoyable, not simply a dull repetitive task to achieve something else.
But isn't going around a circuit a dull repetitive task anyway? :dopey:

I don't grind in GT, but then I don't race either. I just drive. :)

Of course, if PD can improve the racing and eliminate that artificial barrier to progress / access, I'd welcome it wholeheartedly. That's why I agree with the suggestion of separate / different modes.

But isn't going around a circuit a dull repetitive task anyway? :dopey:

I don't grind in GT, but then I don't race either. I just drive. :)

Of course, if PD can improve the racing and eliminate that artificial barrier to progress / access, I'd welcome it wholeheartedly. That's why I agree with the suggestion of separate / different modes.

No especially if there is competition on said race course and some enjoyment to be had as well.

That's the problem just driving I've never been to none of these race courses, but have seen them in many other games I want to race. If I want to just drive then tell PD to put in Practice/Free Run mode that's when I just drive, and they probably have that in there.

No especially if there is competition on said race course and some enjoyment to be had as well.

That's the problem just driving I've never been to none of these race courses, but have seen them in many other games I want to race. If I want to just drive then tell PD to put in Practice/Free Run mode that's when I just drive, and they probably have that in there.
It was a gentle dig at those who "don't get" motorsports. At least, it's what I've heard people say.

I know what racing is about. The only racing I did in GT5 was Shuffle, so I just drive in GT6. I liked quick match in Prologue, though...

There is a time trial mode, which is essentially a free run with a clock ticking slightly annoyingly in the background.

Quality over quantity every time for me, after all I very much enjoy F1 games. If the close racing action is there then the number of cars becomes very much secondary.

Quality over quantity every time for me, after all I very much enjoy F1 games. If the close racing action is there then the number of cars becomes very much secondary.
But isn't there space in the world for a game that does attempt to offer that breadth, as well as games like your F1s?

But isn't there space in the world for a game that does attempt to offer that breadth, as well as games like your F1s?

No there isn't because flat out it's boring having 1197 cars in a game where most aren't utilized isn't much of game let alone fun.

No there isn't because flat out it's boring having 1197 cars in a game where most aren't utilized isn't much of game let alone fun.

How do you know "most aren't utilised", firstly?
Why is more content in itself boring?

And how does the idea that if players don't use all of the content, it's somehow less of a game (which would surely apply to every game ever made) come about? It's interesting that you divorce the concept of "fun" from your definition of "game", too, whereas "most people" define a game purely as something that provides fun.

Maybe the gameplay isn't up to the levels we expect, but that's separate from the car count, much as Q3A's core gameplay is separate from how many maps you have installed - of course, everyone has their favourite Q3A map. ;)
Is rFactor better or worse for having so much player-made content, that "most players" don't even use?

If PD want to make changes to amend "the gameplay issue", they'll need to do it in a way that accounts for the car list, sure, but the car list is not in itself the cause for the issue nor the obstacle to improvement.

How do you know "most aren't utilised", firstly?
Why is more content in itself boring?

And how does the idea that if players don't use all of the content, it's somehow less of a game (which would surely apply to every game ever made) come about? It's interesting that you divorce the concept of "fun" from your definition of "game", too, whereas "most people" define a game purely as something that provides fun.

Maybe the gameplay isn't up to the levels we expect, but that's separate from the car count, much as Q3A's core gameplay is separate from how many maps you have installed - of course, everyone has their favourite Q3A map. ;)
Is rFactor better or worse for having so much player-made content, that "most players" don't even use?

If PD want to make changes to amend "the gameplay issue", they'll need to do it in a way that accounts for the car list, sure, but the car list is not in itself the cause for the issue nor the obstacle to improvement.

In one way I'll just say it like this having 1197 cars in a game like GT is like having to many Wal-mart Plastic bags in your house you might use to carry stuff, or throw away garbage, but when you overdo it. All it remains is a bigger mess or basically more trash to clean up.

Again if you're going to have over 1000 cars you better have a robust career mode or something behind it, and right now GT doesn't I'm not saying players have to use absolute 100% all content, but I did have a bigger garage by the time I got close to finishing GT4 then either 5 or 6.

In one way I'll just say it like this having 1197 cars in a game like GT is like having to many Wal-mart Plastic bags in your house you might use to carry stuff, or throw away garbage, but when you overdo it. All it remains is a bigger mess or basically more trash to clean up.

Again if you're going to have over 1000 cars you better have a robust career mode or something behind it, and right now GT doesn't I'm not saying players have to use absolute 100% all content, but I did have a bigger garage by the time I got close to finishing GT4 then either 5 or 6.
To me it'd be like buying a state of the art 60" curved screen smart tv, getting your HD signal all hooked up, blue ray player, and when you go to pick it up the salesman says,
"Its your lucky day, you get 2 free 27" CRT tv's with your purchase!"

"Uh, no thanks, I just want the new stuff"

"Sorry bud, but the new tv doesn't work unless the CRT's are also in the house and functioning"

Thank god I builded an brand new PC and am back on PC sims. All I can say is, Assetto corsa has 35 cars. Steam says I played AC for over 65 hours now. And yet I tested maximum 10-15 cars out of 35. Every car is so unique and a pleasure and joy to drive! I dont need more cars in AC. There is no need for 1500 cars PD. Throw your old garbage away.

Back