question about supercharge sound

• Thread starter takatasan
  • 19 comments
Canada
Canada
brant2788
i have a 03 corolla and i like having a N/A engine but i love the sound of a supercharger so im wondering is there a way to get a supercharge sound without actually supercharging?

I have an '03 Corolla and I like having an N/A engine, but I love the sound of a supercharger.
So I'm wondering; is there a way to get a supercharger sound without actually supercharging?

I'm confused..

You say you want to keep the N/A feeling but that's exactly what the Supercharger does..? a Supercharger essentially just increases your engine capacity, so it acts very much the same as an N/A engine would - unlike a Turbine which has lag as it spools up the Supercharger is directly attached to the Crankshaft.

Unless cost is the reason you want to stick to N/A then you should simply install a Supercharger rather than faking it, if there was even a way.

Can that engine even handle any amount of boost?

The '03 Corolla? well some models were sold with Superchargers so I'd imagine so - The ZZ engines are pretty sturdy.

The '03 Corolla? well some models were sold with Superchargers so I'd imagine so - The ZZ engines are pretty sturdy.

Ah, I see. Didn't know that, thanks for filling me in. 👍

Ah, I see. Didn't know that, thanks for filling me in. 👍

Without knowing more details on the engine size I can only take a stab as to what engine it is, but going on the assumption it's a 1.6 or a 1.8 then it should have no problem.
I don't really think it's worth it personally since you'd want to be upgrading everything else to make the most of the power and give the engine better longevity but y'know.

Without knowing more details on the engine size I can only take a stab as to what engine it is, but going on the assumption it's a 1.6 or a 1.8 then it should have no problem.
I don't really think it's worth it personally since you'd want to be upgrading everything else to make the most of the power and give the engine better longevity but y'know.

I was thinking that as well but I wasn't sure. I know nothing about these cars. Don't really know why you'd want to waste your money on this either when if you save up you can get something much better.

I was thinking that as well but I wasn't sure. I know nothing about these cars. Don't really know why you'd want to waste your money on this either when if you save up you can get something much better.

Well if you're only after the noise of a supercharger then it's not going to be a big deal.
Frankly though I'd recommend buying a performance oriented car that will already have the groundwork there (Suspension, brakes, ignition etc) and install a supercharger on that.

Corolla's are economy cars as we all know and aren't really equipped to deal with large power increases from the factory.

Well if you're only after the noise of a supercharger then it's not going to be a big deal.
Frankly though I'd recommend buying a performance oriented car that will already have the groundwork there (Suspension, brakes, ignition etc) and install a supercharger on that.

Corolla's are economy cars as we all know and aren't really equipped to deal with large power increases from the factory.

Exactly the point I was getting at.

Apparently there are supercharger whine simulators (quoted from another forum) :

I have a supercharger whine simulator. Its called my wife in the passenger seat of my mustang.

It is turbo rather than supercharged but...just a little example of what a Corolla's capable of.

quarter_comparison.jpg

The left slip is naturally aspirated and tuned (Car T87), the right is after turbo choo-choos (T12). 330 horsepower at the front wheels.

washed5.jpg

That, however, is a fully engineered Corolla Sportivo, everything's been done to it to make sure it handles the power. It has a 2ZZ-GE.

If it's on '03, then it has the 1ZZ 1.8L. A TRD supercharger was available from the dealer for those cars, but I've personally never seen one so not sure how many they sold. The 2ZZ was only available in the XRS model, available in 2005-2006. 👍

Edit: This is in the USA though...

I know they make artificial turbo spool things that you can get but you will just look like a tool. To all your own though.

I love the supercharger sound too, and if i ever win Lotto i plan to supercharge an R32 Skyline. :)

I remember when they used to sell a thing on eBay that went in the exhaust pipe to give off a turbo spooling sound.

This is marginally worse than the fake GT-R emblem auto part stores used to sell back in the day.

Back