Question: how will career mode work?

• Thread starter Boxster
  • 57 comments
Netherlands
Netherlands
After last night's stream, I was left with a couple of questions.
First off, I was moderately positive about the overall stream. It brings back some of the features I liked about earlier versions of GT, but were absent or less developed in GTS.
I am still wondering about 2 things: will the AI be improved and how will career mode work. This question is about the career mode.
In previous GT versions you started as a beginner and progressed through a substantial number of races to expert level. In GTS this is GT League, where you go from Beginner to Endurance League. GT7 brings back licenses, but I don't see the sets of races we had in GT League.
Now it seems from the stream video that this is now in GT Cafe, with the menus. Although I can understand the menus they showed, I am left curious about whether there will be any kind of progression through them.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
After last night's stream, I was left with a couple of questions.
First off, I was moderately positive about the overall stream. It brings back some of the features I liked about earlier versions of GT, but were absent or less developed in GTS.
I am still wondering about 2 things: will the AI be improved and how will career mode work. This question is about the career mode.
In previous GT versions you started as a beginner and progressed through a substantial number of races to expert level. In GTS this is GT League, where you go from Beginner to Endurance League. GT7 brings back licenses, but I don't see The sets of races we had in GT League.
Now it seems from the stream video that this is now in GT Cafe, with the menus. Although I can understand the menus they showed, I am left curious about whether there will be any kind of progression through them.
Any ideas?
They go into the GT mode in the stream before the café. After they buy the first car they head for the Sunday cup and that's not in the café. That seems to have its own set of challenges. Similar to how Gran Turismo 2 had manufacturer races accessible from the dealerships.

They go into the GT mode in the stream before the café. After they buy the first car they head for the Sunday cup and that's not in the café. That seems to have its own set of challenges. Similar to how Gran Turismo 2 had manufacturer races accessible from the dealerships.
Thanks.
It seems that they access the Sunday Cup game from the circuit experience and not through a separate menu structure. That would make it difficult to keep an overview of where you are in the League progression.
Perhaps not a big issue, but it seems a bit awkward from what I understand now.

Thanks.
It seems that they access the Sunday Cup game from the circuit experience and not through a separate menu structure. That would make it difficult to keep an overview of where you are in the League progression.
Perhaps not a big issue, but it seems a bit awkward from what I understand now.
They flick through the menus so quickly it's difficult to tell.

I've watched it back a number of times and it's 100% accessed via the track, the World Map doesn't even have a GT Mode icon or label.

A number of other times in the video (and others) have shown events being accessed via the circuits menu option rather than a specific GT mode. Combine that with the GT Cafe option being central to the map and my money is on that being the focus of the single-player experience. Kaz has even talked about completing that as being the closest to 'completing' the game.

World Map.png

Not only that but if you look at the top left of the screen that accesses the Sunday Cup in the footage, it seems to show the mode you came to it from as being 'Menu Book Collection Japanese Compact Cars', which further reenforces that hypothesis.

Cafe.png

Last edited:
I've watched it back a number of times and it's 100% accessed via the track, the World Map doesn't even have a GT Mode icon or label.

A number of other times in the video (and others) have shown events being accessed via the circuits menu option rather than a specific GT mode. Combine that with the GT Cafe option being central to the map and my money is on that being the focus of the single-player experience. Kaz has even talked about completing that as being the closest to 'completing' the game.

View attachment 1110985

Not only that but if you look at the top left of the screen that accesses the Sunday Cup in the footage, it seems to show the mode you came to it from as being 'Menu Book Collection Japanese Compact Cars', which further reenforces that hypothesis.

View attachment 1110986
I think you are right.
It seems complicated right now and lacking in coherence, but we will have to see how well it works in practice.

View attachment 1110985

View attachment 1110986
I agree I think you're spot on. Watched your thoughts video this morning and hadn't quite fully picked up on that on my first watch through.

Definitely an interesting concept, different enough to keep those who want change happy? Maybe not, but it will hopefully give a different feeling to the progression.

I agree I think you're spot on. Watched your thoughts video this morning and hadn't quite fully picked up on that on my first watch through.

Definitely an interesting concept, different enough to keep those who want change happy? Maybe not, but it will hopefully give a different feeling to the progression.
It's a different approach to the one we are used to, and the proof will be in how it works (assuming this is the case - it's still my best guess based on what we have seen) will of course be in the playing.

From a user experience, it makes sense, as the old GT to GT5 formula was stale, and the changes in GT6 didn't work for me. It links the single-player to the car culture quite smartly, which is great, but if when you get into the actual events they are the same 'chase the rabbit' ones then it's only a partial win for me.

Last edited:
It looked like traditional GT mode is on the tab where all the tracks are. The more you complete the more tracks and races become available. I only say this because the tabs had like 9/16 as if only 9 available. It also looked like track experience was there to and drifting.

So the tracks tabs is where a lot will be. Sure it showed this in another video for a few seconds but in less detail.

I want to know more but at the same time I don’t 😊

It looked like traditional GT mode is on the tab where all the tracks are. The more you complete the more tracks and races become available. I only say this because the tabs had like 9/16 as if only 9 available. It also looked like track experience was there to and drifting.

So the tracks tabs is where a lot will be. Sure it showed this in another video for a few seconds but in less detail.

I want to know more but at the same time I don’t 😊
I just went back and checked and you're right, the main World Tracks screen does have Championships at the bottom.

championships.png

Fingers crossed you can scroll down, as six seems too few.

Last edited:
I think championships is slightly different again as it mentioned something about this in the video. Once they click on an area the traditional GT races are then at the bottom of each track.

My only rationalisation for a track-based career mode selection is that rather than you completing GT mode then PD adding tracks in later (retroactively making your career progression less complete) then doing it based on tracks makes it easier to fill in the gaps.

Seems pretty regressive otherwise, sounds less immersive than what GT1 or GT2 were

So it looks like we are NOT getting the old style of GT Mode.
We are, in the sense that you just enter races from a list and check them off. The only difference is they seem to have spread the events out by track rather than in one organised menu. Hardly a change for the better.

As for the format of the races themselves, whilst the voice-over didn't explain the visuals did.

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 12-00-51 Gran Turismo 7 - State of Play Deep Dive 4K PS5, PS4 - YouTube.png

The game tells you what position you need to reach to win the prize car which will complete your Cafe collection.

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 12-01-31 Gran Turismo 7 - State of Play Deep Dive 4K PS5, PS4 - YouTube.png

Rolling starts confirmed

[EDIT: I realised the attached images were actually more likely to be the end of the race, not the start. Disregard.]

So I personally see very little appeal here. The extra stuff on top like weather, time of day is all very nice but it's like putting sprinkles on a 💩 . Unless all the reviewers pull them up for this the same way they did the terrible sounds in GT6 then it's clearly just never going to change. I don't care how many interviews Kaz gives where he claims the AI are better, actions speak louder than words and the action has so far shown no improvement. If anything it's worse judging by how big the gaps are.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 12-02-16 Gran Turismo 7 - State of Play Deep Dive 4K PS5, PS4 - YouTube.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 12-02-16 Gran Turismo 7 - State of Play Deep Dive 4K PS5, PS4 - YouTube.png
    285.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 1643890072540.png
    1643890072540.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
After watching some portion of the GT7 deep dive video, it seems like the events aren’t like in previous GT games where for example the Sunday Cup event having a couple of tracks. So it looks like to me that players may have to go to World Circuit, go to each continent, and find the tracks that have the Sunday Cup. In the GT7 announcement trailer that was released last year, it showed Trial Mountain with the available events to race like the Sunday Cup, Clubman Cup, and FF Challenge to name a few. I assume more events will be unlock as you level up.

Anyone else being reminded of Forza Motorsport 4 with how this is panning out? The world tour mode of that game took you to a track and you chose an event like, say FF challenge, you did that then it jetted you to the next track and gave you a new selection of events different to what you just did and you did that for a season then it completed the season and started again. But in order to go to each championship you had to go to a different screen where it was all listed and you could choose the championship and do the races you hadn't done yet.

I know it's not a like for like copy or comparison or whatever but it definitely puts me in mind of that. FM4 tried to spice up the progression from the standard format of the time with the PREVIOUS GT and FM games.

Last edited:
Anyone else being reminded of Forza Motorsport 4 with how this is panning out? The world tour mode of that game took you to a track and you chose an event like, say FF challenge, you did that then it jetted you to the next track and gave you a new selection of events different to what you just did and you did that for a season then it completed the season and started again. But in order to go to each championship you had to go to a different screen where it was all listed and you could choose the championship and do the races you hadn't done yet.

I know it's not a like for like copy or comparison or whatever but it definitely puts me in mind of that. FM4 tried to spice up the progression from the standard format of the time with the PREVIOUS GT and FM games.
I didn't play FM4 but was it linear with time? As in, you couldn't just go where you wanted at any time, you went from one to the other in a linear fashion and had to wait for certain events to come back around?

I think that would be an even better solution, and give more of a feeling of natural progression rather than just unlocking events and going back and forth as you please, picking them from a list.

It's how I've envisaged GT evolving for a while now. So you'd buy your first car, get put on a plane to X location and there are a few starting events that you can enter, on a calendar. Let's say September. Finish those and with your earnings you get offers where can race in October, and those September events are now gone for now, there is no incentive or requirement to grind them out. As you advance you get more offers with more races and championships and once the year is up you then can, if you want, go and do some of the events you did in your first year in the September of the next year. But they're "new" versions, maybe different lap counts, with pit stops, and different cars. A Sunday Cup with Gr.4 cars or whatever.

It removes that feeling of just randomly picking events willy nilly with no real linear progression. They could even expand the idea further with signing contracts to manufacturers if you want to lock yourself into one for a few months and get paid by them instead of earning credits per race. You could sign sponsors, get a team mate.

There is so much PD could do with the format without changing it into something completely different, which is why I find it so frustrating that they just keep copy/pasting the same format. OK this time they've made a small change in how you find the events, but it is small.

I didn't play FM4 but was it linear with time? As in, you couldn't just go where you wanted at any time, you went from one to the other in a linear fashion and had to wait for certain events to come back around?

I think that would be an even better solution, and give more of a feeling of natural progression rather than just unlocking events and going back and forth as you please, picking them from a list.

It's how I've envisaged GT evolving for a while now. So you'd buy your first car, get put on a plane to X location and there are a few starting events that you can enter, on a calendar. Let's say September. Finish those and with your earnings you get offers where can race in October, and those September events are now gone for now, there is no incentive or requirement to grind them out. As you advance you get more offers with more races and championships and once the year is up you then can, if you want, go and do some of the events you did in your first year in the September of the next year. But they're "new" versions, maybe different lap counts, with pit stops, and different cars. A Sunday Cup with Gr.4 cars or whatever.

It removes that feeling of just randomly picking events willy nilly with no real linear progression. They could even expand the idea further with signing contracts to manufacturers if you want to lock yourself into one for a few months and get paid by them instead of earning credits per race. You could sign sponsors, get a team mate.

There is so much PD could do with the format without changing it into something completely different, which is why I find it so frustrating that they just keep copy/pasting the same format. OK this time they've made a small change in how you find the events, but it is small.
The world tour itself was linear, it was like a season based format and it progressed through the season, it ran for 10 seasons in total. Any time during that, and then after the 10 seasons is finished, you could go into the event list and just choose events or championships you want to do.

Y
After watching some portion of the GT7 deep dive video, it seems like the events aren’t like in previous GT games where for example the Sunday Cup event having a couple of tracks. So it looks like to me that players may have to go to World Circuit, go to each continent, and find the tracks that have the Sunday Cup. In the GT7 announcement trailer that was released last year, it showed Trial Mountain with the available events to race like the Sunday Cup, Clubman Cup, and FF Challenge to name a few. I assume more events will be unlock as you level up.
Yes that is exactly how I see it. Also looks like more tracks will unlock. Suppose it eases you into the game.

FM4 had two ways to play through the career. The game would recommend events to you based on the car currently chosen as well as general events basded on your garage/experience IIRC. These events would be completed as championships and then every now and then a World Championship race would come around and you could enter that. These were also championships, though the races were spread out so race 2 would occur some time after race 1 etc.

But it also had an events screen where you could cycle through every event in the game and enter them from there, so if you didn't want to do any of the recommended events you could go to whatever you wanted. It had over 300 events with the Porsche Expansion included and each event featured multiple races. It was an awesome game for it's time.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was really hoping more effort would have been put into the career mode to make it feel, you know....like you are actually involved and participating in a driving career vs. checking off random events from a list.

The problem for me right now is that it seems convoluted as to how exactly it will work. GT Sport, while not what I would consider ideal, seems to be more organized than what I've seen in GT7. ......so I guess I'm struggling with seeing how GT7 is supposed to be better in that regard. I'm hoping this is one of the aspects that will be clarified in the next couple weeks leading up to release.

My concern is there's going to be a lot of menu jumping in out, just to race or to see what races are available as to being able to see a overview of what races are available.

I'm one that picks the car first, then enter all the events that takes the car as far as I can go, tuning, buying parts along the way.

Interesting paragraph form the Italian Playstation blog:

"With a few cars in the garage and new driving techniques available, a cafe menu will direct you to a new place: the processing shop. As you can imagine, it's a place full of parts of all shapes and sizes (some are visible in the VOD). As you play and progress you will unlock even more. By getting new cars, for example, you will increase your Collector Level. At Collector Level 4 you will unlock the “Sports Club” category in the crafting shop. Compete, collect, unlock, elaborate… whatever you do, you will probably advance some other element of the game. The coffee menus will also direct you to new areas and modes - completing them is a great way to take advantage of all that GT7 has to offer. This content will feature the first few hours of play (depending on your racing results, completing Menu challenges, and so on), after which you will be able to compete in a special championship on the High Speed Ring. This will give you access to Brand Central, where you can purchase new vehicles from over 50 manufacturers and computers. This is just the tip of the iceberg. As you progress through the game, you'll unlock many other features to explore, such as GT Auto where you can beautify and maintain your car, the livery editor, Scapes, race photos and more. Watch the full State of Play VOD for more information."

Last edited:
We are, in the sense that you just enter races from a list and check them off. The only difference is they seem to have spread the events out by track rather than in one organised menu. Hardly a change for the better.

As for the format of the races themselves, whilst the voice-over didn't explain the visuals did.

View attachment 1111031

The game tells you what position you need to reach to win the prize car which will complete your Cafe collection.

View attachment 1111032

Rolling starts confirmed

[EDIT: I realised the attached images were actually more likely to be the end of the race, not the start. Disregard.]

So I personally see very little appeal here. The extra stuff on top like weather, time of day is all very nice but it's like putting sprinkles on a 💩 . Unless all the reviewers pull them up for this the same way they did the terrible sounds in GT6 then it's clearly just never going to change. I don't care how many interviews Kaz gives where he claims the AI are better, actions speak louder than words and the action has so far shown no improvement. If anything it's worse judging by how big the gaps are.
Since they bother pointing out that this is a rolling start race the implication is that other races are grid starts.

Still a bit murky with what's going on with the career mode, is there going to be some type of overview of the events, from what events have been completed to events to look forward to/plan, hopefully the player not just led blindly from one event to the next event.

So all in all you really have to collect cars to unlock the whole of the game's features and content (such as performance upgrades in the Tuning Shop and dealerships such as Brand Central).

Sounds fair, for as long as collecting and obtaining cars will also add them to Arcade Mode permanently as rental cars with all their default colors/liveries, just like GT4.

Looks like this time the Career will be a ''all over the place'' mode.
There will be not like in older GT game a seperate section for it.
Hopefully it will be not too much confusing!!!

IMO, it seems GT7 will integrate seasonal events of GT5 -Wich were great- in a solo career cafe experience. My bet is to see those events been updated as GT5 events were.
For the number of circuits of the world map as « 9/16 », I m afraid it s only the number of locations , on the number of road tracks .

Latest Posts

Back