"Racer X" is Patrick Crider, SohnVonStig! Going to Silverstone! (pics)

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 336 comments
Great event!! Big Congrats to Patrick!!
At first I was a bit confused when people was telling me their nicknames and I couldn't look it up because I didn't have access to a pc and my cellphone had a heat-stroke on that day.
But everyone that I met on the line was pretty awesome to talk to.
wish I could of stayed for the national finals, but I'm back home now.

here is a pic of Mike, me and Bryan:

406219_10150901880676621_692802957_n.jpg

Well, I am pissed. I hit 1:50.9 in 4 laps. 1:51.3 in 2 laps. Ugh. Don't know what I could have done under pressure but I did those times with the sound low and the radio playing to replicate distractions.

Well, I am pissed. I hit 1:50.9 in 4 laps. 1:51.3 in 2 laps. Ugh. Don't know what I could have done under pressure but I did those times with the sound low and the radio playing to replicate distractions.

Honestly the distractions went away once you sat in the chair and steering wheel...I was more worried about breaking points and the Circuit. Way different...I hit a 152.3 after ten laps at home...but you only get 1 out-lap and 1 quali lap...way different. :nervous:

@Paskowitz

You have to do it in there format after 2 laps restart again...I think the pressure was on especially knowing not to hit a damn wall!!

Rules:

Two tire's on the Chicane you can't go through it on all four tires, if you bang a wall to hard the Steward behind you will disqualify you, so basically you where driving like you just bought a new car before break-in:crazy:

Problems:

Wheel

The RS500 not easy to get use to for a 2 lap Quily, Paddle shifter did not turn with the wheel, I made the mistake of up shifting on my practice lap :ouch:

Pedals:

You have to press the brake all the way down, I'm use to my g25 pedals I don't press all the way down.

FFB:

There seem to be little to no FFB on this wheel this could have been a setting

Car: R34

Braking understeer

Conclusion:

Best time I've had in a long While!!!:gtplanet:

Last edited:
Honestly the distractions went away once you sat in the chair and steering wheel...I was more worried about breaking points and the Circuit. Way different...I hit a 152.3 after ten laps at home...but you only get 1 out-lap and 1 quali lap...way different. :nervous:

One out and one quali! Damn, damn damn. Then I would have only needed to stit in line twice. Was it online mode grip levels or single player grip levels? If it was online, then I think it would have taken more work. How many runs did Patrick have?

After my 2nd lap I figured out the trail breaking down shift to first to get the tail to rotate. Once I got that I got to 1:50.9. That being said, I am not using a T500RS and I am not a fan of its pedals.

So now I know, next year, if there is a next year, use those AMEX points... :ouch:

All the credit to Patrick though. He looks even faster in race trim, so I think even if I was there, he probably would have been able to turn up the heat.

Lol after 10 laps I am at 1:49.9. SMH.

Last edited:
Check back on previous thread^^^.

What previous thread?

Edit: nevermind "didn't read lol!"

No FFB would complicate things. I used to have a T500RS so I used to it but I felt its pedals were worse than the G25s so I returned it.

Again, my shoulda woulda couldas aside, Partick clearly demonstrated how good he is and fully deserves his top spot. The truth is, in order to win a race, you have to show up.

Finally made it back home! And yes I did switch to another hotel room that had a working toilet.

I am the "unknown" in the white collard shirt...and feel free to insert any caption you would like for that one photo.

Does anyone know the screennames of the others in the group that was waiting in line? I know they told me, I have forgot. The guy who drove from North Carolina, (pictured black shirt holding the beer) the gentleman with the nissan racing shirt, and also the darker skinned guy from las vegas-the left foot braker. All of them are members here on GTPlanet, and were all great guys.

Congrats on the win again Patrick/sonvon!

Finally made it back home! And yes I did switch to another hotel room that had a working toilet.

I am the "unknown" in the white collard shirt...and feel free to insert any caption you would like for that one photo.

Does anyone know the screennames of the others in the group that was waiting in line? I know they told me, I have forgot. The guy who drove from North Carolina, (pictured black shirt holding the beer) the gentleman with the nissan racing shirt, and also the darker skinned guy from las vegas-the left foot braker. All of them are members here on GTPlanet, and were all great guys.

Congrats on the win again Patrick/sonvon!

I was the guy in the maroon red hoodie, giving his spot to the Stig and I remember you telling me to join GTPlanet. lol :dopey:
Were you wearing the white GTPlanet polo?

EDIT:
Oh wait, never mind. That was SniperWolph lol

Nah, I decided to just let Patrick keep it. But our deal included his old wheel, which was the G27 wheel. So instead I told him that I'll just get that from him.

Thanks again so much man :) That g27 will be in a box on its way tomorrow :)

One thing I was wondering about the setup, could you watch the guys before you to help figure out the breaking points before you sat down to do your run?

Also, how come they had stig do a head to head run with Hill at the end there? That seems to imply that it was not simply fastest time of the day wins the spot.

Congrats to stig!

One thing I was wondering about the setup, could you watch the guys before you to help figure out the breaking points before you sat down to do your run?

Also, how come they had stig do a head to head run with Hill at the end there? That seems to imply that it was not simply fastest time of the day wins the spot.

Congrats to stig!

Nope, we weren't allowed to whatsoever. But some did take quick peeps somehow. We had to be behind a wall lol

I guess they assumed that Patrick and Hill were the only two there that made the fastest time and knowing that nobody else were close to them. So they made Pat and Hill go at it.

Last edited:
VileFCboy
Nope, we weren't allowed to whatsoever. But some did take quick peeps somehow. We had to be behind a wall lol

I guess they assumed that Patrick and Hill were the only two there that made the fastest time and knowing that nobody else were close to them. So they made Pat and Hill go at it.

Should have watched the GTP stream on the twitch app.

Congrats to stig!

They did it for the drama. I was close to beating his time on a few attempts and with an hour left I bought someones place in line to try again as the back of the line wouldn't have got me in in time. I told the guy I'd give him the rig for his spot if I won and if not I'd work something else out. I ended up paying him something for it even though I lost. Patrick saw what I did and decided to do the same and bought the spot in front of me. I messed up on my run. Didn't help having flashes going off in my eye during my lap. Oh well. I'm coming back for next year. This time I'm going to learn GT5 and not just rely on my real world experience. Was just hopping to scrape through to Silverstone this year but I need more time in a sim. To many things about the game I haven't figured out and to many things not true to real life physics that I don't understand yet to compete with you guys this year. Would love to find some good racing leagues to race in online so if anyone has a suggestion I'm open to it. It was nice to meet those of you I did. Good luck to those going to Silverstone.

They did it for the drama. I was close to beating his time on a few attempts and with an hour left I bought someones place in line to try again as the back of the line wouldn't have got me in in time. I told the guy I'd give him the rig for his spot if I won and if not I'd work something else out. I ended up paying him something for it even though I lost. Patrick saw what I did and decided to do the same and bought the spot in front of me. I messed up on my run. Didn't help having flashes going off in my eye during my lap. Oh well. I'm coming back for next year. This time I'm going to learn GT5 and not just rely on my real world experience. Was just hopping to scrape through to Silverstone this year but I need more time in a sim. To many things about the game I haven't figured out and to many things not true to real life physics that I don't understand yet to compete with you guys this year. Would love to find some good racing leagues to race in online so if anyone has a suggestion I'm open to it. It was nice to meet those of you I did. Good luck to those going to Silverstone.

You could always join the GTRRL we run a pretty good league.

R1600Turbo
Anything with a PURE label for starters.

These gentleman, and ladies if there are any, are just plain fast. I've been working my tail off for 5 months now just to keep from getting lapped by the entire field. Don't think it matters much which car they run on which track, they know how to go fast. I've learned bunches from them. Still about 4 times more to learn as I have, to get anywhere near them on the track.

...This time I'm going to learn GT5 and not just rely on my real world experience. Was just hopping to scrape through to Silverstone this year but I need more time in a sim. To many things about the game I haven't figured out and to many things not true to real life physics that I don't understand yet to compete with you guys this year. Would love to find some good racing leagues to race in online so if anyone has a suggestion I'm open to it. It was nice to meet those of you I did. Good luck to those going to Silverstone.

Check out GTPlanet's Weekly Race Series.

Some of the fastest drivers around compete in offline time trial format for a week and the WRS community is all about sharing information and making each other faster. Then face off using the same car/track in online races every Wednesday.

Each series has it's own forum:

Some of the fastest drivers around compete in offline time trial format for a week and the WRS community is all about sharing information and making each other faster.

...but not the only people to do that. ;)

Don't get me wrong. Much respect for what you guys do, but you're not alone. Many series in the online racing section that are super organized, fast, fun and friendly. :)

Don't get me wrong. Much respect for what you guys do, but you're not alone. Many series in the online racing section that are super organized, fast, fun and friendly. :)

RT,

Do you know of any instances of people giving one on one coaching?

👍 Of course. I never said we were alone, just pointing out some of the attributes of the series. :) I was in no way implying that information wasn't shared in PURE or that their drivers don't help each other... I know first hand they do. (I'm signed up for one PURE series myself :sly:).

That said, the WRS is a bit unique in that we organize both offline time trials and online races, which can come in handy for GTA.

I would love to rejoin y'all racing again. Congrats to those who advance to Silverstone, your hardwork will pay off. Gonna take a break from GT for awhile; also need to replace the ps3...

Just to point out, you came close to my second run which on that last "dramatic" run I ran almost a second faster ;) And hell yeah those flashes were annoying right in our faces :P

I'm sure you'll make it next year and I hope you do great! Just from talking to you I know you've got the determination that it takes. I wish you and your wife all the best. Despite everything that happened that day you were both incredibly nice to me :)

Back