"Racer X" is Patrick Crider, SohnVonStig! Going to Silverstone! (pics)

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 336 comments
RT,

Do you know of any instances of people giving one on one coaching?

You can fairly easily have up to 15/1 coaching. Run a series and save the race replays. You can study every driver's laps and essentially get schooled by everyone in the race, whether they're faster than you or not. I spend almost as much time studying tape as I do practicing in game. It's certainly helped me. Still nowhere near as fast as the crew that lets me run with them at present, but I think I'm getting better. Feels like I am anyway.

Last edited:
Just to point out, you came close to my second run which on that last "dramatic" run I ran almost a second faster ;) And hell yeah those flashes were annoying right in our faces :P

I'm sure you'll make it next year and I hope you do great! Just from talking to you I know you've got the determination that it takes. I wish you and your wife all the best. Despite everything that happened that day you were both incredibly nice to me :)

Yea that last run I sucked and you didn't. Like I said wish I had put in more time on gt5. Sims have never been my strong point and as good as this one is it doesn't do exactly what a real car will. I just need to learn what it wants so I can find the time in it. Wish they had put us in real cars. Oh well next year I'm coming back and I'll be prepared this time.

And hell yeah those flashes were annoying right in our faces :P

Maybe not as dramatic, but on my first run on first lap I heard one of the officials (the chubby troll looking one who wouldnt let you watch, but was nice) say in the background "hey this guy is good!"

So trying to concentrate i can feel photographers and the camera guy coming around me, and on the second lap I just grazed the wall. I crossed the finish line and was displayed in red "+.079". At the time I thought that meant +.079 off of p1, which was you, and I immediately became quite worked up and maybe have dropped a nice F bomb or two...

Not so sure that is going to make the final film cut...

You can fairly easily have up to 15/1 coaching. Run a series and save the race replays. You can study every driver's laps and essentially get schooled by everyone in the race, whether they're faster than you or not. I spend almost as much time studying tape as I do practicing in game. It's certainly helped me. Still nowhere near as fast as the crew that lets me run with them at present, but I think I'm getting better. Feels like I am anyway.
That's pretty much how I learned. I got lucky that I kept running into so many aliens when I first started playing GT5 online (ex. Forced, Wardez, tony, Aderrrm, Turbo, Twissy, Welsh, timeattack, pierre, VBR), that the only way I could even keep up was work on minimizing my mistakes, and experiment using their braking points and driving lines to see if that made me faster.

After all this time, everything about me is better... :)

...except for braking. :grumpy:

outlaw4rc
..... work on minimizing my mistakes, and experiment using their braking points and driving lines to see if that made me faster.

...except for braking. :grumpy:

Gee whiz! Me too! Not to mention their tuning skills. Still in awe of the overall skill in the series I've run so far and in particular, someone's tire management acumen.

I can hope that at some point it'll all click and I'll be able to have your, and some of the others you mentioned, pace.

Gee whiz! Me too! Not to mention their tuning skills. Still in awe of the overall skill in the series I've run so far and in particular, someone's tire management acumen.

I can hope that at some point it'll all click and I'll be able to have your, and some of the others you mentioned, pace.
Tuning's a guessing game for me. Some people have told me what I put under my car's either crazy loose or just right. :lol:

As for someone's tire management, just an FYI, there's no point trying to figure it out. No one has even come close to copying it. :crazy:

outlaw4rc
As for someone's tire management, just an FYI, there's no point trying to figure it out. No one has even come close to copying it. :crazy:

Oh I know how he does it. ;). I watched so much of his tape from IWC3 and the FMTC...
Emulating it is an altogether 'nother issue. Pretty much gave up on that as trying to play basketball like Jordan. Started watching you other aliens more to see how you were doing it. 👍

Congrats SohnVonStig, you must be on cloud 9 now and it's great to see a GTP member showing what the community is capable of and what being a part of it has probably helped you achieve. Good luck in the finals and hope you get the chance that very few others ever will.

Oh I know how he does it. ;). I watched so much of his tape from IWC3 and the FMTC...
Emulating it is an altogether 'nother issue. Pretty much gave up on that as trying to play basketball like Jordan. Started watching you other aliens more to see how you were doing it. 👍
There's nothing really special with me, really. It's just the typical slow-in, fast-out approach with a dose of mid-corner throttle management. :)

outlaw4rc
There's nothing really special with me, really. It's just the typical slow-in, fast-out approach with a dose of mid-corner throttle management. :)

Psh. Slow in. Right. I'm slow in. You are definitely not. :P

Congrats to both Stig & Hill. Fantastic effort by both drivers. Unfortunately, there can be only 1 winner, but hill, you went down fighting 👍

:cheers:

Still in awe of the overall skill in the series I've run so far and in particular, someone's tire management acumen.

:lol:

R1600Turbo
Funny how you don't even have to mention my name and I know who you are talking about. :dopey:

Lol. Anybody who's raced you will know. Still think you've got a deal with the tire companies to put extra rubbah on them tars. :sly:

Funny how you don't even have to mention my name and I know who you are talking about. :dopey:
I think there are many out there that you could describe with just how they drive. Patrick's one of them. Fast through on-the-limit driving, but that sometimes backfires. I didn't want to mention it during the Finals, but I had predicted he'd crash out in at least one race, and then try to come back like a madman rather than get back into a rhythm. Then Trial Mountain Reverse happened. :lol:

Glad that didn't bite him in the end, though.

RackAttack
LOL, totally forgot I posted that. Sure enough, now I own one! I had no idea that was even going to be a possibility, and was pretty excited when they announced that on Friday.

So did all 32 get that rig, or only the silverstone bound?

RackAttack
Just Racer X and myself (for qualifying first in the qualifier Friday morning).

Edit: Tree'd

Roger that.

What exactly is this tree'd a contraction for? I get what it's used for.

Roger that.

What exactly is this tree'd a contraction for? I get what it's used for.

Ummm, not sure. Maybe that's only a thing over at a different forum I frequent. We'd get creative and post various pictures of trees. Never understood why though.

R1600Turbo
Tree'd = drag racing term. Means your post was beaten by someone else by just a few seconds.

Ah. Drag racing light tree.
I got the meaning by the context it was always used. Just couldn't figure out where the term came from.
Thanks for clearing that up. 👍

I thought tree'd came from forums where quote boxes appear in requotes stacking them with people doing it so much it lookes like a Christmas tree.

I'm going to try and post a pic.

The multiquoting looks like a Christmas tree seen from above. This one is a small one. People would quote the person who beat them or long conversations. Pretty sure that's where the term tree'd came from.

575171d1.jpg

Last edited:
Back