Racers Reunited: GT Career Mode Challenge

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 1,386 comments

When free is for do race best?

• Total voters
I didn't consider how long it would take in the livery editor...
And so it begins...

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180513212441.jpg

Basic pattern, random stickers.

How did you do the bit where the white diagonals cross over? "Close-enough blue" shape over the crossover point and smaller white one overlaid on that?
It's one of the default patterns scaled up. It's 3rd ish row, over on the right ish somewhere.

Buckfast? :D

I didn't consider how long it would take in the livery editor...
I'm not really painting mine with anything consistent at all. I don't have the time at the moment.

How did you do the bit where the white diagonals cross over? "Close-enough blue" shape over the crossover point and smaller white one overlaid on that?
Sorry for triple post. If you can drive Inkscape, just make the shapes you want. I should show you. Honourable daughter #1 should breeze it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for triple post.
What triple post? And yes, you should show me. I have no idea what Inkscape is, although it sounds like Netscape with a pen.

I was cogitating a Kerfuffle logo, as it happens :lol:

After the first race, the spreadsheet calculates everything and picks your next car. I'll just read it off the sheet.

So which car do we all start with tonight for the first race?

I’ve got all the cars but only a few have liveries. Looking forward to this. I’ve got my Audi R8 ready so I can share some track space with you guys in the Suzuki sport!!
:cheers:

So which car do we all start with tonight for the first race?
That'll be the middle one, which, right at this moment, is the Corvette C3 at 0.03% away from the mean testing time.

Oh, we'll also change tracks each time. The sheet has a random track generator, although for now I'm keeping it at "Standard" tracks (the sheet will generate short, standard, long, massive and niche circuits), which are:
Alsace Village
Blue Moon Infield A
Brands Hatch GP
Dragon Trail Gardens
Dragon Trail Seaside
Interlagos
Kyoto Yamagiwa
Maggiore East
Maggiore West
Nurburgring GP/F
Tokyo Central
Willow Springs: Big Willow

I'm not sure how many races we'll fit in, but I'll avoid any repeat locations.

Last edited:
If you can't get into the lobby, send me an FR. Also, we'll need to take a short, five minute break after the first race so I can create the sheet properly - the test sheet is a 6-man affair and I need to amend it for however many people we're getting!

Well, that was faintly mad and revealed a couple of flaws in the formulae (and probably car list) which I'll have to dig through to get the racing closer than it was.

The results were pretty close though, after six races:
Venari - 27 (2 wins, 1 3rd)
Famine - 23 (2 2nds, 2 3rds)
sutsagrd - 22 (1 win, 1 2nd, 1 3rd)
Simba - 22 (1 win, 1 2nd)
buybon - 20 (1 win, 1 3rd)
daan - 20 (1 2nd, 1 3rd)
Sparks - 16 (1 win, 1 3rd, 2 Virgin Media)

(Points were: 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0)

We used 22 different cars - and only one person used the same car twice at any point (daan, race 1 and race 6) :lol:

Many thanks for volunteering 2 hours of your Tuesday to be guinea pigs!

Last edited:
Highlight of the night: holding a drift in the wallowy Challenger.

Great stuff, looking forward to the future of this kerfuffle (Virgin Media you *******).

I've had a quick look at the Kerfuffle formulas.

In essence what happens is all of the race times are logged, the sheet takes the mean, works out how far you are away from the mean and assigns you a new car that's the same amount faster than you are slower, or the same amount slower as you are faster, to get you back to the mean. That's then modified by the original Kerfuffle movement indices (how far up and down you move depending on championship position and last race result) which I hadn't changed.

So if you finish 5th of 7, you're 5th in the championship and your race time is 1% behind the mean, the sheet assigns you the +1% faster car, then moves you two cars faster for your race finish and then one more car faster for your championship position. Sounds complex, isn't really.

Here's what happened last night:

Race 1
1 - @Venari - Corvette C3
2 - Famine - Corvette C3
3 - @Sparkz_360 - Corvette C3
4 - @daan - Corvette C3
5 - @AndreasR - Corvette C3
6 - @Sutsagrd - Corvette C3
7 - @buybon355 - Corvette C3

The formulas then have Venari with the fastest race time and winning the last race and leading the championship, giving him a triple dose of slow the hell down.

Race 2
1 - bb - Lancer (Car 23)
2 - suts - Impreza (Car 20)
3 - daan - Megane (Car 17)
4 - Sparkz - 86 GRMN (Car 13)
5 - Simba - Supra RZ (Car 18)
6 - Famine - Challenger (Car 12)
7 - Venari - 208 GTI (Car 9)

Venari is exactly twice as slow compared to the first race, so he's now last in race times, and came last in the last race, but is still joint-lead in the championship, so gets a double dose of speed the hell up with a small dose of careful now. bb is the exact opposite and is in the same situation Venari was after the first race and gets triple slowed - and then some...

Race 3
1 - Venari - Impreza (Car 20)
2 - Simba - Impreza (Car 20)
3 - Famine - Civic Type R (Car 21)
4 - daan - 86 GRMN (Car 13)
5 - bb - 208 GTI (Car 9)
6 - suts - Challenger (Car 12)
7 - Sparkz - Virgin Media Focus (Car 15)

This is a bit odd, as we have the two race winners so far and the joint championship leaders in the fastest (well the CTR is nominally faster than the Impreza) and slowest cars on the grid, and neither of them should ever be in the fastest car. I probably should have seen this one coming...

So I've given things a little tweak and the second race grid would now have been*:

Venari - Volkswagen Golf VII GTI (Car 10)
Famine - Toyota 86 GRMN (Car 13)
Sparkz - Ford Mustang Mach 1 (Car 14)
daan - Renault Sport Megane RS Trophy (Car 17)
Simba - Toyota Supra RZ (Car 18)
suts - Subaru WRX STI Type S (Car 20)
bb - Nissan Skyline (R33) GT-R V-spec (Car 22)

Which I think would have closed us up a bit more than we saw. The R33 is a bit squirrely though :D

I'm going to do a little bit more work on changing the original Kerfuffle movement indices. I'd left those unchanged, but I think the effects are too great when applied to the ET car assignment. I'm definitely going to cut two cars out of the list too - one of the Toyota 86GTs (can't believe I missed that... idiot) for a start - and I need to do a little more testing as the muscle cars are not as slow as they should be on tighter tracks and far slower than they ought to be on more open ones. That's what I get for testing on a nice, mixed track first :D There's another 15 cars on the longlist too which might swap in for some more variety...

Last edited:
I've had a quick look at the Kerfuffle formulas.

In essence what happens is all of the race times are logged, the sheet takes the mean, works out how far you are away from the mean and assigns you a new car that's the same amount faster than you are slower, or the same amount slower as you are faster, to get you back to the mean. That's then modified by the original Kerfuffle movement indices (how far up and down you move depending on championship position and last race result) which I hadn't changed.

So if you finish 5th of 7, you're 5th in the championship and your race time is 1% behind the mean, the sheet assigns you the +1% faster car, then moves you two cars faster for your race finish and then one more car faster for your championship position. Sounds complex, isn't really.

Here's what happened last night:

Race 1
1 - @Venari - Corvette C3
2 - Famine - Corvette C3
3 - @Sparkz_360 - Corvette C3
4 - @daan - Corvette C3
5 - @AndreasR - Corvette C3
6 - @Sutsagrd - Corvette C3
7 - @buybon355 - Corvette C3

The formulas then have Venari with the fastest race time and winning the last race and leading the championship, giving him a triple dose of slow the hell down.

Race 2
1 - bb - Lancer (Car 23)
2 - suts - Impreza (Car 20)
3 - daan - Megane (Car 17)
4 - Sparkz - 86 GRMN (Car 13)
5 - Simba - Supra RZ (Car 18)
6 - Famine - Challenger (Car 12)
7 - Venari - 208 GTI (Car 9)

Venari is exactly twice as slow compared to the first race, so he's now last in race times, and came last in the last race, but is still joint-lead in the championship, so gets a double dose of speed the hell up with a small dose of careful now. bb is the exact opposite and is in the same situation Venari was after the first race and gets triple slowed - and then some...

Race 3
1 - Venari - Impreza (Car 20)
2 - Simba - Impreza (Car 20)
3 - Famine - Civic Type R (Car 21)
4 - daan - 86 GRMN (Car 13)
5 - bb - 208 GTI (Car 9)
6 - suts - Challenger (Car 12)
7 - Sparkz - Virgin Media Focus (Car 15)

This is a bit odd, as we have the two race winners so far and the joint championship leaders in the fastest (well the CTR is nominally faster than the Impreza) and slowest cars on the grid, and neither of them should ever be in the fastest car. I probably should have seen this one coming...

So I've given things a little tweak and the second race grid would now have been*:

Venari - Volkswagen Golf VII GTI (Car 10)
Famine - Toyota 86 GRMN (Car 13)
Sparkz - Ford Mustang Mach 1 (Car 14)
daan - Renault Sport Megane RS Trophy (Car 17)
Simba - Toyota Supra RZ (Car 18)
suts - Subaru WRX STI Type S (Car 20)
bb - Nissan Skyline (R33) GT-R V-spec (Car 22)

Which I think would have closed us up a bit more than we saw. The R33 is a bit squirrely though :D

I'm going to do a little bit more work on changing the original Kerfuffle movement indices. I'd left those unchanged, but I think the effects are too great when applied to the ET car assignment. I'm definitely going to cut two cars out of the list too - one of the Toyota 86GTs (can't believe I missed that... idiot) for a start - and I need to do a little more testing as the muscle cars are not as slow as they should be on tighter tracks and far slower than they ought to be on more open ones. That's what I get for testing on a nice, mixed track first :D There's another 15 cars on the longlist too which might swap in for some more variety...
I think @Sparkz_360 and I broke it towards the end.

The Willow Springs race had Sparkz getting fastest lap then disappearing and so getting last, and I had a nightmare in the RX7 and ending up last on track (but ahead of Sparkz.) That meant for the Dragon Trail Gardens race, I had a car 6 seconds a lap quicker than everyone else (AMG), and Sparkz was 6 seconds a lap quicker than me (Vantage.)

I think @Sparkz_360 and I broke it towards the end.

The Willow Springs race had Sparkz getting fastest lap then disappearing and so getting last, and I had a nightmare in the RX7 and ending up last on track (but ahead of Sparkz.) That meant for the Dragon Trail Gardens race, I had a car 6 seconds a lap quicker than everyone else (AMG), and Sparkz was 6 seconds a lap quicker than me (Vantage.)
Indeed. Just looking at the sheet downstream with the new calculations, even if all the results had stayed the same, you'd have been in the Supra RZ and Sparkz in the R33 GT-R for that race.

I hope so Sparkz. I'm thinking, Honda 2+4 set at 106% power and 149% weight, on S/H around various tracks at Kyoto Driving Park.

Cheers, Zo.
Not going to force people into Kerfuffling twice in a row eh? :lol:

whats the crack with this ? I'm keen to get involved

We're just a group of people who race each Tuesday Birdwinder, and anyone is welcome to join in. However, if you're asking about kerfuffling, it's best just to buy the cars and come along when we're at it and let the host tell you what car(s) you've been allocated. You'll soon get the hang of it, but trying to explain it is exhausting, and tends to raise as many questions as it answers.

Not going to force people into Kerfuffling twice in a row eh? :lol:

I'm happy to do it this week Famine. The reason I suggested something different is because I thought you had some ironing out to do following last week. Do you want to host?

Cheers, Zo.

I'm happy to do it this week Famine. The reason I suggested something different is because I thought you had some ironing out to do following last week. Do you want to host?
Oh Christ no. I need to turn my brain off, so the Honda will work just fine :lol:

Various tracks at Kyoto Driving Park? Unless you mean the variants (which this has 3) you plan to use any other tracks or is it this location?

I meant the different layouts Sparkz; Miyabi, Yamagiwa and both together.

Oh Christ no. I need to turn my brain off, so the Honda will work just fine :lol:

Rightio, Honda it is then. Gives me time to sort my uniform out for Kefuffling.

Back