• Thread starter MatskiMonk
  • 205 comments
Ill start with my best one:
2010 F1 GP Silverstone, "not bad for a number two driver" weekend

In NZ:
2011 Hamilton V8 street race
2009 Hamilton V8 street race
The three previous V8 Supercars rounds that were at Pukekohe
Various NZV8 events, mostly to watch the formula cars though.
D1NZ at Waikaraka Park in 2010

Apart from countless national 'club' meetings between the ages of 0-7 then 17-40, the international events i've been to, off the top of my head are:

1975 British GP (Silverstone) - Dad was competing in a support event. Fittipaldi's final F1 win.
1979 British GP (Silverstone) - Williams first F1 win with Clay Regazzoni.
1981 British GP (Silverstone) - First win for a CF monocoque car (Mclaren) with John Watson.
1987 British GP (Silverstone) - Colossal Mansell/Piquet battle in the Williams. Mansell won.
2008 British GP (Silverstone) - Due to compete in support event, didn't, used tickets anyway. Hamilton won.
2012 British GP (Silverstone) - Got tickets for my birthday!

1980 DRM at Donington - Friend of family competing against all the factory teams.
1985 WEC at Silverstone - Rothmans Porsche 962/Lancia Martini era.
1986 ETCC at Silverstone - Group A Rover SD1s and Volvo 240Turbos.
1993 BTCC at Donington - Infamous Mansell/Needell crash.

2008 Superleague Formula at Donington - Superleague's first event
2009 Superleague Formula at Jarama.

Went to a couple of MotoGPs (500GPs back then) at Donington in the early 90's - Doohan/Schwantz era.

We (Historic Touring Cars) also supported the BTCC for a couple of seasons in the mid nineties ('94 & '95?) - so went to plenty of those races. Volvo 850 Estate/Alfa 155 Super Touring era.

Last edited:
2005- NASCAR @ Watkins Glen
2006- NASCAR @ Watkins Glen
2007- NASCAR @ Pocono & Watkins Glen
2008- Indy Car Grand Prix, Grand Am Crown Royal 200, & NASCAR all @ Watkins Glen
2009- Indy Car Grand Prix, Grand Am Crown Royal 200, & NASCAR all @ Watkins Glen
2010- Indy Car Grand Prix, Grand Am Crown Royal 200, & NASCAR all @ Watkins Glen
2011- Mobile 1 Car Swap Tony Stewart/Lewis Hamilton, Grand Am Crown Royal 200, & NASCAR all @ Watkins Glen

Just 2010 MotoGP. At least got to see both of crowned champion there! :D

SuperGT will be next on the list.

Just the solitary BTCC at Croft circuit, which will have been 1997-1998ish.

I was going to go to Silverstone for the formula one around 1999-2000 but I was quite ill so couldn't go, I was only 9-10 years old. My interest in the sport trailed off a bit until for a few years and it wasn't until around 2009 when I became really interested in motorsport again. I haven't been since then mainly because none of my friends are really into motorsport *Insert forever alone pic here*, which was probably the reason why I lost interest in the first place...

I think having a general admission ticket for my first visit when I was so young kind of put me off... I didn't really get to see the race at all because where we were there were no embankments, just a big catch fence and a bunch of people stood right at the front obstructing my view (Even on my Dad's shoulders, I couldn't see a thing). If I were to go again i'd want to make sure it would be in a grandstand or at least on top of an embankment with a wide view, like perhaps between maggotts/becketts and the Arena complex at Silverstone.

Aside from little things like local dirt ovals and a local drag strip, the only thing I've been to is last year's Grand-Am event at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. I wanted to fly out to Texas for F1 this year or at least to return to Mid-Ohio and maybe catch Indy/ALMS this year, but the wife is pregnant and due this summer so we won't be going much of anywhere in 2012; least of all to a noisy race track. Maybe next year....

A few pics from Mid-Ohio last year:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150597355566784.383605.575041783&type=3

2008 British Grand Prix and 2009 Silverstone Classic are the only races I have been to while not a marshal.

2008 British Grand Prix and 2009 Silverstone Classic are the only races I have been to while not a marshal.

Where have you marshalled man? I hear lots of places take volunteers, might be something I try in the future.

WRC Portugal (can't remember the year)
Le Mans 24h (2006)
BTCC Silverstone (2008,09,10,11)

Also been to plenty of F1 testing also at silverstone and many more regional rallies.

Ardius
Why is it people are capable of referring to Sebring, Daytona and Indy by name but not less historic or famous races? The name of the circuit is usually timeless, sponsors come and go from race to race! At least refer to these things with a consistent name rather than the name which changes.

Basically, those historic tracks refuse to part with history, and don't require a title sponsor by themselves, as the gate revenues and associated minor sponsors fill in.

But come on now...the 1992 FIA World Endurance Championship 500km race at Silverstone was known as the Tritron Showers Trophy. Then again, the WEC was on its last legs at that time. So it was more of an exception, than the rule.

I have been to:

5 Small race meetings at brands.
First ever A1 grand Prix at brands in 2005.
200(6 or 7) BTCC at silverstone.
200(6 OR 7) WTCC at Brands Hatch.
Lots of club karting races.

Its not technically a race but I have been to 3 Goodwood Festival of Speed's and are going again this year.

Basically, those historic tracks refuse to part with history, and don't require a title sponsor by themselves, as the gate revenues and associated minor sponsors fill in.

But come on now...the 1992 FIA World Endurance Championship 500km race at Silverstone was known as the Tritron Showers Trophy. Then again, the WEC was on its last legs at that time. So it was more of an exception, than the rule.

I think I take more issue with tracks that are completely re-named rather than simple race-title sponsors.
Eg:
Infineon Raceway (Sears Point Raceway)
Red Bull Ring (Österreichring)

Can't remember all the years, so I'll just post what they are.

x6 NASCAR races - Phoenix International Raceway
x1 FIA GT Series - Silverstone (during GT Academy)
x1 Rally America - Steamboat Springs, Colorado
x1 Lands End Hill Climb - Lands End Road, near Whitewater Colorado
x1 Formula Drift - Irwindale Speedway, California
x1 Redline Time Attack - Miller Motorsports Park

2002 Daytona 500
2003 Winn Dixie 200 at Darlington Raceway
2006 and 2007 Southern 500's
2012 VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 @ Darlington Raceway

Last edited:
Let's see, I've done:

1995 Australian Grand Prix
2003 to 2012 Clipsal 500
2003 Australian Rally Championship Rally South Australia
2004 Bathurst 1000
2005 V8 Supercar Development Series at Mallala
2006 Classic Adelaide Rally
2010 Easter Historics at Mallala

Last edited:
Been to a few Demo derbies, Hit to pass & Trailer races, and our local drag strip once or twice.

Nothing else I can recall.

Ardius
Red Bull Ring (Österreichring)

Considering the track was very much left for dead, I can kind of understand it, although it's better than A1 Ring. I would definitely have an issue with it holding an F1 race, though. That would be like Fiorano holding a GP.

I got to go see CART in Toronto one year (either 2001 or 2002) - it was only the qualifying but it was still a blast. The weather was great, and they had the CASCAR feature race on the Saturday as well, which I enjoyed.

Other then that, there are a couple of local tracks I go to every so often that I enjoy.

I’ve done marshalling at Goodwood and watched BTCC Brands Hatch, Silverstone.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Unfortunately, the list of races that I've been to is rather small. I definitely plan on changing that in the future.

I've been to BTCC a few times at Knockhill when I was younger. I also...

I got to go see CART in Toronto one year (either 2001 or 2002) - it was only the qualifying but it was still a blast. The weather was great, and they had the CASCAR feature race on the Saturday as well, which I enjoyed.

Went to see the indycar race in Toronto last year. They had CASCAR, Ferrari challenge and CTCC on the support bill too. I've tried to make the pilgrimage to Spa for the F1 a few times, but it hasn't worked out yet. I definitely want to see F1 at Suzuka too. I hope to add SuperGT, V8 supercars, Nascar, MotoGP and the Isle of Man TT to my list sometime soon too.

Where have you marshalled man? I hear lots of places take volunteers, might be something I try in the future.

Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Castle Combe, Donington are the ones I have done so far in my one and a half years of marshaling. I am hoping to go to more this year.

I've been to the BTCC at Oulton Park way back in 2003. Photos with Plato, Turkington, Thompson, and Hughes were very cool.

And Oulton Park again to watch some GT racing. I was at the podium ceremony when Nelson Piquet Jr. won a British F3 race.

And the demonstration in London in 200...4, I think. Mansell and Brundle were there in Jordans and Jaguars. Got some signed team posters of Nick Heidfeld and Giorgio Pantano and saw Giancarlo Fisichella too.

Not that much, granted but I'm only 20 with no money. All three occasions were absolute honours. Big thanks go to my parents for taking me.

2005-2011 Petit Le Mans, Road Atlanta

2012 12 Hours of Sebring

2009 GrandAm Race, Barber Motorsports Park.

2010-2011 24 Hours of Daytona

1 Nascar race that's not even worth typing about.

Added to the one Richmond race I went to over a decade ago, I'll most likely be going to the September Nationwide and Sprint Cup races in Richmond and depending on ticket prices, I'd love to make it to Austin for the Grand Prix if it isn't too expensive.

The first real race I remember attending with my family was the 1999 ALMS Race at Laguna Seca when I was around 10 years old. I still remember the electricity in the air walking around the paddock just before the start of that race, as well as camping out up on the hillside opposite of "The Corkscrew". It was a pretty rough drive down from where I live (A near 1,000 Mile Round-trip) though, so the following year we went to the ALMS race at Sears Point.

From there, scheduling conflicts and monetary issues have kept me and my family from going to races, though we did go to every qualifying sesion for the ALMS races at Sears Point from 2002-2006, as well as the IRL qualifying session in 2008.

For the future, I'd love to try and attend the Long Beach IRL race, The Indy 500 and at least one Grand Prix... Only god knows how that's ever going to happen though...

Well, with the 2012 season largely done... I only managed to get to one event this year :(

For one reason or another (none of them good) I didn't manage to get to any of the planned events in 2012.. NO touring cars ?! and I missed the Britcar 24 :( :( :( .. which I'm gutted about.

The business trip to the states happened, but the timing was out so a NASCAR race wasn't possible, and whilst I was in the US, I missed the DTM race at Brands, which was another must do on my 2012 list...

So, out of desperation I jumped in the car yesterday and went to Brands Hatch for the BTRC British Truck Racing (and fireworks)... and that's it... that's all I can add for this year.

Big plans for next year... now if I can just get the money together...

British Truck Racing Championship (BTRC) Brands Hatch

WRC Wales Rally GB - first time at a Rally, it was an experience!
BTCC Thruxton
BTCC Silverstone
BTCC Snetterton - got completely drunk in the circuit bar on Saturday night, if you were there, you probably saw me
WTCC Donington
International/Italian V8 Superstars Donington
Britcar 24 hours at Silverstone
Blancpain Endurance Series Silverstone

BTCC Brands Hatch
BTCC Croft
BTCC Knockhill - one of the best weekends I've had at an event
BTCC Silverstone
BTCC Thruxton - met Mat Jackson in the Pub afterwards.. which got me in the garage at.....
BTCC Rockingham - which was fun!
LMES Silverstone - pretty much only went to photograph the M3 GT2
FIA GT Silverstone
F2 Silverstone
Superleague Formula Silverstone - not great, but saw the prettiest girl ever working in the garage for one of the teams.
Renault World Series - well, it's free....

BTCC Rockingam
BTCC Oulton Park - This was the one that got me into BTCC, well that and Tillie Thompson!
Britcar 500 Silverstone - Downer, only 6 hours!
FIA GT Silverstone

LMS Silverstone
BTCC Silverstone

A1GP Brands Hatch - Hospitality Suite... sweeet.

Britcar 24 hours at Silverstone - Awesome, great access to pitlane during Friday night Qually.
F1 British Grand Prix - Biggest waste of money ever.

BTCC Silverstone - BRDC passes :D :D

I've been to:
2011 Indian Grand Prix
2011 V8 Supercars Race at Yas Marina (my school gave us free tickets :))
2011 GP2 Race at Yas Marina
2011 GT1 Race at Yas Marina
2009 Bahrain Grand Prix

2010 American Le Mans Grand Prix of Mosport
2011 American Le Mans Grand Prix of Mosport
2012 American Le Mans Grand Prix of Mosport
2011 Grand-Am Canadian Tire 200 Watkins Glen
2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup at Watkins Glen
2011 NASCAR Nationwide at The Glen
2011 Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix
2012 Grand-Am Sahlen's 6 Hours of The Glen
2012 Grand-Am Montreal 200 Montreal