Racing Soft Problem

• Thread starter GTLeigh
  • 52 comments
This:

đź‘Ť
No, they are not just grip multipliers. Like with racing suspension, they are also 'stiffer' and have a much smaller slip angle, which is what gives them extra responsiveness to steering inputs. This also requires steering inputs to be smoother since the tyre flexes less during high speed direction changes. In GT6, as I said, its difficult to pin down exactly what is wrong with racing tyres but there is sure as heck something wrong and I really can't get my head (or hands) around just how they are working.

I have found on a number of cars that great handling traits with SS are completely ruined with RH. That should not be the case.

Higher grip tires are very edgy on the limit, most of the time it requires some adjustment in suspension setup to accommodate racing tires. There are some cars that work well on comfort tire and also works on racing tires. It's not really the tires, but specific car chassis issue.

Question? Are you using a wheel or DS3? Tire modeling for GT6 is kinda messed up IMHO. I look at it is his way for GT6. Race tires, race cars, why would someone spend 36000 to make a car worse handling?.

I'm using a DS3, only ever used a wheel at a friends house and I wasn't that good with it.

I've learned a lot from this thread so thanks guys, I now know that there are problems with racing tyres (or chassis), maybe I should learn to fine tune also. I've not tried the method of using different compounds on front and rear yet but I'll give that a go in a bit.

You can't expect a tune to perform at 100% if it is not meant for those specific tyres. Most Racing Hard tunes will work on Racing Soft tyres but they will not be optimised due to the increased grip given by a softer compound.
All tuning is about compromise and different tyres require different solutions. The more grip you can get from the tyres the closer to the edge you can push a car, but because you are closer to the edge constantly the margin for error is reduced and small differences can result in huge effects.

Just out of interest, which cars are showing problems? I've tuned a fair few on RH and they have performed as expected and an M3 GT2 on RS and that was the same story. I have not noticed any obvious problems apart from the tyre flex modelling possibly being the source of the camber issues. (lets not get into that)

Please don't get into the flex, tire modeling, camber, or online issues. I was just in a room with NewDriver, Praiano,Danjobote and it was a gong show to say the least.This game has huge potential, either PD is fixing it,I hope, or they just don't care. To bad.

Higher grip tires are very edgy on the limit, most of the time it requires some adjustment in suspension setup to accommodate racing tires. There are some cars that work well on comfort tire and also works on racing tires. It's not really the tires, but specific car chassis issue.
There is little feedback from the tyre as to where the limit actually is. To me they feel like they're either melting or my springs have snapped.
I've tuned a fair few on RH and they have performed as expected and an M3 GT2 on RS and that was the same story. I have not noticed any obvious problems apart from the tyre flex modelling possibly being the source of the camber issues. (lets not get into that)
There's no point in going into pneumatic dynamics, its irrelevant in this arena. Suffice to say, they don't work right. I'm not sure what 'performed as expected means' when they behave and feel like nothing I have come across in real life.

There's no point in going into pneumatic dynamics, its irrelevant in this arena. Suffice to say, they don't work right. I'm not sure what 'performed as expected means' when they behave and feel like nothing I have come across in real life.
They feel to me like they have done in previous GT games, that's all I'm suggesting. They respond to tuning in the same way all other tyres in gt6 do. I have no real life experience so I cannot comment on that, but that was not the point of the original enquiry.

I think gt6 improve physics alot and all the tires are amazing , racing soft like all others reacts just as good, what needs works is everyone driving style u can't just jump into corners and brake at the last minute thinking the car, thinking the tires will hold 1300kg over 130 miles without the realistic tires to snap off is thinking arcade like , they gave us good car and tires physics it will take some work to adjust to it, tuning from gt5 don't work anymore driving style has to be smoother just like it should in real life, to maintain the grip of the tires with in the limits or it will snap of

what needs works is everyone driving style u can't just jump into corners and brake at the last minute...
Spoken like someone who hasn't read anything that precedes. You don't know me so I'll cut you some slack but if you're going to join a debate, make sure you know your opposition and your facts. Trust me, it isn't my driving that's wrong. Have a browse through my YouTube channel and then come back with a better argument. đź‘Ť

Last edited:
I think gt6 improve physics alot and all the tires are amazing , racing soft like all others reacts just as good, what needs works is everyone driving style

Vagabond - Spoken like someone who hasn't read anything that precedes. You don't know me so I'll cut you some slack but if you're going to join a debate, make sure you know your opposition and your facts. Trust me, it isn't my driving that's wrong. Have a browse through my YouTube channel and then come back with a better argument

Grab a napkin dude, you've just been served. :D

Well sorry my opinion about the subject offended but I never name or directed anything to anyone, if saying ppl have to change their aggressive driving style to smooth is offending anyone sorry.

Well sorry my opinion about the subject offended but I never name or directed anything to anyone, if saying ppl have to change their aggressive driving style to smooth is offending anyone sorry.
Not offensive just uninformed/unobservant. I've been a key protagonist in this thread and I would certainly describe my driving style as smooth, so what you've said makes no sense even if you aimed it into the ether. What I'm saying is, if you have an opinion and want to share it, first make sure its relevant, informed and correctly targeted. I'm not having a go, its just good advice. đź‘Ť

Smooth enough?

There is little feedback from the tyre as to where the limit actually is. To me they feel like they're either melting or my springs have snapped.

Yes, racing tires are weird in GT6 the softer they get, I find comfort tire pretty decent :) PD needs to update the tire physics as well as chassis and suspension, a lot of things needs improvement.

Not offensive just uninformed/unobservant. I've been a key protagonist in this thread and I would certainly describe my driving style as smooth, so what you've said makes no sense even if you aimed it into the ether. What I'm saying is, if you have an opinion and want to share it, first make sure its relevant, informed and correctly targeted. I'm not having a go, its just good advice. đź‘Ť

Smooth enough?

:bowdown::drool:
That was beautiful....(The Video). Nice Lap!

The difference in how well RS work on some cars vs other cars could be the amount of camber set as default. Race cars have a lot of camber and toe adjustments vs street cars. Some street cars have more than others.

If the game gives the most grip when camber is set to 0.0 then racing cars have the least grip by default from what they could have compared to street cars. (read this here somewhere)

Maybe this is what is causing this in GT6?

Smooth enough?

Very nice driving Vagabond. I agree with you that there is a problem with the tires in GT6 that PD needs to address and fix asap. Tires are just one of many issues I have with this half finished game they released to us with promises to update it. Three months later no promised updates to game and lots of bugs that need to be fixed. Who ever is in charge of making there decisions don't have there true loyal GT customers best interest in mind, I am very disappointed at this time. I have been playing GT games since the release of GT1 in 1997 on PS1.

1. I own a Lotus Exige in real life.
2. I have 9 sets of tires (I know, I have a problem).
3. The physics in GT6 for RS tires are way off.

Having said that, on a M/R car with such a short wheelbase, such as the Elise/Exige twins, fitting super soft tires in the front makes the turn-in more immediate, making the car much more lively in the rear. Now add in the fact that racing tires don't break-away as progressively and you have a recipe for an ill-handling car (IRL, and in GT6). I also agree with the above stated that, simply adding a tire with more grip won't always give you better handling, you must tune your suspension to handle the increased grip. Much of the time this is counter-intuitive, as many times ultimate grip is a by-product of a SOFT suspension.

http://osgiken.net/upload/r24.jpg

How about just increasing the spring rate?

This. Close to double the spring rate, dampers and arb up to 4-5+ usually, and lowered 10-30 ish seems to make most cars drive "normal". That being said, somethings probably is wrong, but i dont enough experience with real cars to argue that either way.

Last edited:
I agree with anghell, having raced with him and tuned with him, he knows what he's talking about. I believe that the tires are not a an accurate replica of real life tire performance, neither is the transmission, neither is the handling characteristics stock of most cars IMO. Arguing about what should do what and why things don't work "as intended" is redundant, it's a video game, it has been and always will be TRYING to replicate or simulate to the best of it's abilities. That being said what I believe anghell is saying, that as drivers, racing drivers or even daily drivers, we hop in a vehicle any vehicle and we drive. We adapt to characteristics and situations, that's what real drivers do. And that's what we need to do in gt6 adapt.

I agree with anghell, having raced with him and tuned with him, he knows what he's talking about. I believe that the tires are not a an accurate replica of real life tire performance, neither is the transmission, neither is the handling characteristics stock of most cars IMO. Arguing about what should do what and why things don't work "as intended" is redundant, it's a video game, it has been and always will be TRYING to replicate or simulate to the best of it's abilities. That being said what I believe anghell is saying, that as drivers, racing drivers or even daily drivers, we hop in a vehicle any vehicle and we drive. We adapt to characteristics and situations, that's what real drivers do. And that's what we need to do in gt6 adapt.
đź‘Ť agree with you 100%

Back