Racing wheel experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter RainMan844
  • 56 comments
  • 3,651 views
G25 is where it's at. I've had to move my wheel and seat in the spare room due to several complaints from the other half.
 
The driving force GT is just a DFP (driving force pro) with an extra horn and knob for real-time adjustments (but you can do this with any wheel), but you can get a DFP off of Ebay for about 40-60 USD where the driving force GT is 130 USD your paying 70-90 dollars for a horn and knob. :odd: Just my 2 cents.

Luke

In several reviews I've read they compare de FF with the one in the G25(not as good but it's more acurate to compare it to the G25 than to the DFP), I personally cannot make an actually educated opinion about this since I haven't tried the 3 wheels, but the DFGT has been praised for it's good FF for the low bucks, and the major complaint about it is the pedals themselves, so as far as I know the DFGT is as much as a glorified DFP as GT5P is a glorified demo.
 
Last edited:
The wheel is much easier than controller, I used to be absolutely rubbish with the wheel until I got back into GT4 about a year back. Now a controller is impossibly hard to control with. The only way to get real feedback from GT5P is from using a wheel, I don't think this experience could be replicated with a controller.
 
well that answered my question quite well. Think I'm gonna go for the DFGT fro now (have a reputation to keep, and lately, in pro mode, unless I<m driving a FF or a under 400HP 4WD it hasn't been good)

But my ultimate aim is the G25

That was pretty much my idea RainMan844. I wasn't sure if I would stick with the wheel. I tried a wheel years ago and didn't like it that much. I figured the DF GT looked good value compared to the G25 and less of a financial risk.

When I first fired up the DF GT it nearly gave me a heart attack. The FF was so strong and everything was so different. The first week or so I was cursing it but I stuck with it. Now, I wouldn't be without it and just waiting to upgrade it to the G25. Like someone else said, when I really want to get the max pleasure from GT5P I set the view to cockpit view and sitting in my race seat and cockpit it damn near feels like its all real. 👍
 
I bought the DF Pro around 6 weeks ago, purely a financial decision - I've just got too many toys. If I exercise a little restraint, it keeps the wife's shoe count down to manageable numbers ;-).
First impressions were;
FF surprised me. Too strong to start with, so I turned it down a little. In fact, if you go back to GT4 and try driving a LeMans car down the Mulsanne straight it's actually difficult to hang on to the wheel!!
Back to GT5P - Suzuka. I was initially around 2 secs per lap slower than with the controller. After some 12 - 16 hours driving I started to beat my controller times.
Of course the big benefit is with the FR & MR cars. I couldn't really master them with the controller, but the measured inputs possible with the wheel & pedals mean that now these cars come out of the garage for me. They are still a challenge though, which is fine.
Initially I was too slow from lock to lock through the chicane, but this gets solved with practice.
That's how it was for me - I hope this is helpful.
 
Just remember when thinking about buying a G25 that the "feel" of the wheel is not so good in terms of feeling the road / tyres than it is in DFP (don't know about DFGT). This hopefully will change as the game officially admits supporting the G25. You just don't get the same amount of information through the wheel as you do with the DFP. Sad.

:ouch:

--> 240e well spent... :yuck: :dunce:
 
Last edited:
I got a DFP a couple weeks ago... been using a controller since GT1.... and I wondered why I waited so long to get a wheel... G25 was too expensive for my first wheel... I'll get that one later on when I get REALLY good with my DFP... but go for a wheel man... gives you way more control.. and its a lot of fun! :)
 
the g25 is the quietest thing ever honestly you dont hear a thing unless you really crank on the wheel then u hear the motors turning

It's definitely a lot quieter than my old GT wheel, but I think it's got louder since I bought it.

That may just be my imagination though.
 
How are the peddles on the G25 do you still have to play with b**** feet to make sure they don't break?
 
Pedals of the G25 are great! 9x (just an estimation) better than the ones if DFP. No instant fear of braking them... but I guess you can get everything broke if you try enough. :)
 
Pedals of the G25 are great! 9x (just an estimation) better than the ones if DFP. No instant fear of braking them... but I guess you can get everything broke if you try enough. :)

The pedals that come with the DFP nowadays are pretty tough if you ask me... I dont have to be all careful, I just do what I need te do and they hold up and spring back great.... no problems there... havent tried a G25 but I imagine thats a bit better and a clutch of course.. I dont know where you get the idea from that you have to feather them all the time.. thats just not the case... :)
 
Last edited:
The pedals that come with the DFP nowadays are pretty tough if you ask me... I dont have to be all careful, I just do what I need te do and they hold up and spring back great.... no problems there... havent tried a G25 but I imagine thats a bit better and a clutch of course.. I dont knwo where you get the idea from that you have to feather them all the time.. thats just not the case... :)


I wan't to be fast... so... there you go.

;)

(altough I didn't mention that at all)
 
Hi, RainMan844

I&#8217;ve been lucky enought to offer myself a G25 wheel bundle with GT5P (Played all previous GT with controllers).

All I can say is that I crossed a point of no return!

A rumbling pad comes nowhere near the Force Feedback experience provided by a wheel. The wheel will allow you to &#8220;ultra-smooth&#8221; your racing lines, and the pedals will give you unlimited throttle control.

For sure, there is a learning curve (quite pleasant and rewarding in my opinion). Couldn&#8217;t drive some cars without traction control at first, but within a few weeks training and some of the very nice tunes you&#8217;ll find around here, I managed to progressively disable all the driving assists on even the most trickiest Rear Wheel Drives. (except ABS:1)

Don&#8217;t know for the DFP, but noise isn&#8217;t an issue with the G25 and it&#8217;s built quality is flawless.

The only &#8220;big&#8221; problem I&#8217;m facing now, is that &#8220;uncontrollable&#8221; envy to build myself a racing cockpit!

So, unless you are a two big thumbs kind of alien, it is save to bet you will improve your game experience and lap times with a wheel. Go for it!👍
 
Last edited:
If god had meant us to drive with a PS Controller he'd have fitted them as standard on all real road cars.
 
G25 is where it's at. I've had to move my wheel and seat in the spare room due to several complaints from the other half.

So you got to keep it?! Good for you, glad you came to an agreement. 👍

In several reviews I've read they compare de FF with the one in the G25(not as good but it's more acurate to compare it to the G25 than to the DFP), I personally cannot make an actually educated opinion about this since I haven't tried the 3 wheels, but the DFGT has been praised for it's good FF for the low bucks, and the major complaint about it is the pedals themselves, so as far as I know the DFGT is as much as a glorified DFP as GT5P is a glorified demo.


The insides of the Driving Force GT is the same as the DFP, both use the same hardware (i.e. can motors, gears, etc.), and pedals. So you don't get better feedback, or longer lasting materials, you get a DFP, a horn, and a dial for quite a bit more.

Luke
 
Last edited:
Pedals have been improved internally and force feedback has improved and is more quiet compared to the DFP.
At least that's what i'm reading in reviews and comments about this wheel.
 
Last edited:
I have to agree with everyone else, a wheel is a great investment.
I was (well, I still am) a n00b at racing, but the G25 has greatly improved my throttle control and now i can drive high hp FR cars without spinning out!.......too often..

ONLY complaint is that with the G25 pedals, they slowly inch forward on my hardwood floor. Every race I have to pull towards me and on longer races (like ten lap race around HSR) I find myself just a tad uncomfortable. I'm thinking of buying one of those anti-slip pads (I guess my hard braking is too much for the G25's anti-slip :P)
 
ONLY complaint is that with the G25 pedals, they slowly inch forward on my hardwood floor. Every race I have to pull towards me and on longer races (like ten lap race around HSR) I find myself just a tad uncomfortable. I'm thinking of buying one of those anti-slip pads (I guess my hard braking is too much for the G25's anti-slip :P)


A section of carpet would be enough:tup:
 
The insides of the Driving Force GT is the same as the DFP, both use the same hardware (i.e. can motors, gears, etc.), and pedals. So you don't get better feedback, or longer lasting materials, you get a DFP, a horn, and a dial for quite a bit more.

Luke

Your wrong. Have a look here.

At first glance one might think that this is just the old DFP (Driving Force Pro) unit with a new steering, but that is really not the case. While the DFGT (Driving Force GT) shared an identical shell with the DFP, Logitech had assured me (and confirmed it myself) that not only the steering unit internal is different and is very much improved over the DFP (probably due the advancements with their G25 unit). Gone is the mechanism in the DFP for switching between 900/200 degree mode and the internal circuitry is more in line of what you will see inside its big brother, the G25. Like the DFP, the DFGT is still a single motor design (unlike the G25) and uses the identical 24V-0.75A power supply of the DFP unit. The gear assembly of the steering has also been upgraded as the "play" that exists in the DFP (and even the G25) is now almost nonexistent, which I will elaborate a bit more later.


With the steering unit being the main focus of this combo, the all plastic pedal box and pedals will have to take a back seat. The pedal box, from the casing to the 7 pin connector, of the DFGT is almost identical to the DFP. However one major improvement over the old DFP is the potentiometer for both pedals have been substantially upgraded and are secured to the pedal box casing with fasteners for improved stability.


Written by GTP's very own Rocket Punch.

The DFGT is not just a DFP with a horn and a dail for real-time adjustments.
 
Last edited:
sounds like I'm the only sucker that bought Mad Catz's teeny little wheel :P are they still making the wheels the size of a saucer? oh, and are the PS3 oriented wheels back-compatable with a PS2?
 

Thank you for clearing that up for me, :) I was previously misinformed but now know that I was incorrect. 👍

Luke
 
My 2 cents:

the G25 is a thing of beauty: leather & steel steering wheel looks & feels great & the steel pedals are far superior to the DFP/GT's. In addition, it has the H-shifter, which is a bit flimsy compared to the real thing, but still far more "real" than the DFP/GT's sequential shifter, & it has the clutch.

The G25 is less noisy than the DFP/GT, but it is still fairly noisy, particularly if the game models bumps in the road - which GT5P does not at this point (but F1:CE does, very nicely). I play with headphones, which completely eliminates the gear noise for me, but it is a factor for anyone else nearby.

I would much, much rather race with the wheel & a small TV set-up in a corner, than with my large TV & the controller. In terms of cost, I estimate I've got at least 500 hours on my G25 by now, which works out at less than 25 cents/hour extra over a DFP/GT - well worth it - & I expect to get a least another 500 hours on it over the next year. 👍
 
I wan't to be fast... so... there you go.

;)

(altough I didn't mention that at all)

Aha... understood :) 👍
 
In several reviews I've read they compare de FF with the one in the G25(not as good but it's more acurate to compare it to the G25 than to the DFP), I personally cannot make an actually educated opinion about this since I haven't tried the 3 wheels, but the DFGT has been praised for it's good FF for the low bucks, and the major complaint about it is the pedals themselves, so as far as I know the DFGT is as much as a glorified DFP as GT5P is a glorified demo.


sweet !! now that was acruicial info

thanx million
 
So far i have had 2 wheels the driving force and driving force pro.
I have been driving with a wheel since i bought one for gt3 (don't remember the year) and bought the DFP when gt4 prologue came out.

As posted in the fotos between the DFGT and DFP pedals they have fixed the prolem of the DFP pedals (i don't know have you had the proplem of break been on without you applying it), but i have i had to open the pedals and move the sensor because of that proplem.
DFGT it seems that they have whole different thing in the pedals.

Next wheel i'm gonna buy is the G25, i just hope that the GT5 will have full support for it.
 
If god had meant us to drive with a PS Controller he'd have fitted them as standard on all real road cars.

:lol:

G25 = 👍👍👍
 
Back