Rally physics feel really terrible.

United States
United States
What in the world is going on here? I love the other portions of the game, but Rally man this just does not feel right. You can bang into walls and make silvers and even golds. In chase cam the sound effects are terrible and the whole thing feels like a hockey rink lol.

In road cam I feel Rally is better, but it's still all messed up. I simply don't feel a part of a bumpy earthy road at all. Do you think improvements to Rally will be made? I sure as hell hope so. What are your opinions on this part of the game?

I'd pretty much call it an improbability of any GT game having good rally physics. You're better off playing DiRT Rally / 4 or WRC 7.

Believe me, I'd love to thrash about that rally spec Mustang. But I always know that rally physics in GT games are going to be a joke.

I agree. I was playing Dirt Rally prior to this. I jumped into the (Fisherman's?) track and thought I was on snow/ice with normal tires. Also it feels and looks flat as asphalt with a texture to look like rough road. Disappointed on that one.
The Windmills one I played last night in the challenges and it was much better. Bumps and jumps and you can actually control your slides through the turns on that one. Reminded me of the rallying in gt3/4. Fun but still not very realistic.

The rally is horrible the physics are so bad and it's so hard to control the car !!! Never seen those wide ass tracks on real life rally also! makes no sense but oh well I guess I'll stay away from that lol

yeah feels a bit like driving in antarctica. that being said I thought my first 1on1 on Pro difficulty was still fun and replay is goergous.

Yup, it's really, really bad.

The group B cars in today's Sport mode in Suzuka felt somewhat OK, but rally racing on gravel is so unrealistic. There's no grip, the wheels don't bite, and going sideways doesn't increase grip as it does IRL.

I thought the rally physics in PC2 were bad, but at least there you grip when turning. It feels like the cars have buddy tires on 'cause all I do is slip sideways. Earlier GT rally physics were pretty good, wonder what happened.

Jerome

Yep, the dirt tracks in GT Sport are a waste of time.

Driver inputs seem to mostly do to the car, what they are supposed to do,
but the road surface and the car have almost no feeling that connects you with what is happening.
Just like previous Gran Turismo dirt courses.
I really hope they don't attempt Pikes Peak.

I haven't gotten to the snow course, yet, but I expect the same.
The car will actually respond fairly correctly to driver inputs, but the feel and FFB will be out to lunch.

Also, the AI in rally seems tuned to demolition derby mode, at least in 'Professional' level.
It's an order of magnitude or two, past the contact acceptable in arena rallycross.
If that AI driver was a real life driver in an online league, he'd be perma-bannated by every host after one race.
I have not experienced this radical behavior by the AI in the GTS tarmac racing.

If you want to drive dirt, drive DiRT Rally.

Last edited:
I think it's fun for what it is but yeah the Gr. B cars seem like they should have some more grip and the tracks are a joke compared to DiRT. Driving production cars on the dirt is a hoot though.

I'd say they feel equally as crappy as the last 2 Gt's.. Manageable in a straight line then once you go slightly sideways it's like you're on ice. Par for the course if you ask me.

Last night I only played GTS using my DS4. This evening I will use my T300 and see if there is any improvement.

In Circuit Experience I did amazingly well with the Ford Focus Gr.B Rally Car. The loose surface physics are very poor and you need to throw the car at the corner unbelievably early and tap the throttle like there is an eggshell below it.

Once I was accustomed to it I enjoyed it but you would never call it a simulation. The replays look pretty damn cool though with the car being thrown about.

I was hoping for an improvment over the last two games but physics wise, or at least the grip levels - have remained pretty much the same. An absolute waste of time for everyone involved. Should have never left the drawing board.

The loose surface in the demo is appalling and holds almost no resemblance to reality.

It's a waste of the time put into modelling the tracks and the faux group b cars.

Added to by then using the Gr B cars on Suzuka in last night's sport race, but locking them to gravel spec setups. A move that doesn't bode well for future sport events.

The loose surface drives as if it's simply tarmac with a reduced grip coefficient and a repetitive texture map added to it.

Understated is all you get unless you just throw the cars side to side, at which point it does a good impression of revolving around a fixed central point.

At no point does it seem like the tyres are having to deal with a surface that is not actually fixed, but loose.

I found rally physics in GT 6 quite good. Managed to get most road cars to feel pretty close to what i experienced in a 250BHP Audi S4 Quattro on a ice track with studded tires. Looking forward to try the demo today :D

Last edited:
Rally used to be arcade but fun on the old GTs (rally was so much fun in GT3) then it was simply bad on PS3. Tracks were bad, physics boring with no feeling.

My brief experience is that grB cars have some silly setups like they are made for bashing instead of going fast. Very slippery on gravel like hard surface with dust. Tires wont bite. But even weirder is grB on dry asphalt sliding like crazy. Havent checked the locked setup but its funky..

GrB NSX in my case.

Ran a session in arcade in the Lancer last night... took a good few laps to get the technique, but once I did I absolutely loved it.

Requires a very different driving style to tarmac... late braking will not work... you never want the car pointing in a straight line... use constant BIG/FAST steering angles combined with left foot braking to move the weight around and adjust the angle of the car... car needs to be pointing in to the corner well before the apex off the power, then can be 4 wheel drifted through the apex with neutral steering angle shifting in to oversteer at the exit.

Once you get the feel for the weight transfer, you can swing the rear of car around at will using steering and brakes.

Rallying has always been a bit of an add on in GT, and GTS is really no different - the stages are too short and a wide, you can cut without any risk, there's typically more grip off track... but if you don't abuse the faults the physics actually work quite well.

My brief experience is that grB cars have some silly setups like they are made for bashing instead of going fast. Very slippery on gravel like hard surface with dust. Tires wont bite. But even weirder is grB on dry asphalt sliding like crazy. Havent checked the locked setup but its funky..

GrB NSX in my case.

Locked set up has very tight diff settings and +.5 rear toe.

... but if you don't abuse the faults the physics actually work quite well.

If you're stuck saying "if you ignore all the parts that are wrong, it's quite good!", then it's probably not very good. I mean, you can say that about absolutely anything and you're stuck assessing it as positive, because by definition you're ignoring anything that might not be good.

The rally stages may be fun for some people, but there's no way you can argue that they're realistic. They're just not. If you don't have the opportunity to drive quickly on a dirt road yourself in real life to compare, any one of the several quite good rally simulations that have come out in the last few years are a good approximation.

I agree with Scaff, the rally content is a waste of resources that could have been used to play to the game's strengths.

Back