Random Logging out headache

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 47 comments
South Africa
South Africa
.....Hey guys, last couple of days I'm running into a weird situation here; I'm being "logged out" randomly. I can't replicate it as it happens so randomly. I view & leave a comment on a thread, then change to another thread, I get logged off. Sometimes it does this, sometimes doesn't. And no, I'm not talking about 10, 20 minutes of inactivity here - MAYBE 1 minute, 5 minutes tops.
I have to re-sign in. Not a big issue, I know, but an annoying one nonetheless....

I've been having more or less the same issue here for the past week or three; it seems the auto log out is kicking in after only a very few minutes as opposed to the half hour or so not too long ago. If I'm reading a thread with a number of new posts, particularly in the Opinions & current Events forum where individual posts can get rather lengthy, more often than not I'll get logged out.

Been hit by this more times than I can remember in the last few weeks; I may be doing several minutes work on an OP for instance, and then when hitting the 'save edit' would find myself logged out.

Been hit by this more times than I can remember in the last few weeks; I may be doing several minutes work on an OP for instance, and then when hitting the 'save edit' would find myself logged out.
.......Yeah, happened to me too. Was making a thread over yonder at the suggestion thread, and while busy tidying it up, I get logged off.

I've been avoiding long sessions for awhile now - or else if I'm composing something long - as in one of the many threads I maintain (like the AI Center or Diorama Thread) - then I copy for safety before hitting the 'Save' or 'Reply' button.

In case it's any help... I haven't had this at all. Are you guys allowing your browser to "remember the password" in addition to the GTP cookie-setting-tickbox-thingy?

In case it's any help... I haven't had this at all. Are you guys allowing your browser to "remember the password" in addition to the GTP cookie-setting-tickbox-thingy?
.....Yup. Same with cookies, too.
Wait, what cookies? Better be with chocolate chips in 'em....{yum, yum}

I've been avoiding long sessions for awhile now - or else if I'm composing something long - as in one of the many threads I maintain (like the AI Center or Diorama Thread) - then I copy for safety before hitting the 'Save' or 'Reply' button.
This was before GTPlanet saved your drafts but I had an extension in Firefox called Lazarus after one too many lost lengthy posts. Might be worth a look but it doesn't fix the underlying issue.

For reference, I've been logged in on my phone with no problems for at least the last two months. Android 5.0, Chrome 41.0.abunchofnumbers.

Could you all provide detailed information about the PC/device and web browser that you're using? There's been no recent changes to the site code, and I've never experienced this.

Generally, unexpected log-outs are caused by "security" software or browser plugins which clear cookies prematurely.

.......The times I experience random log outs are when I'm on my Asus notebook, running Windows 8.1 OS.
I use Firefox, updated to the latest version. And I use Avast. As for plug-ins, nothing unusual other than a download manager which I had for ages.....

In my case I've been using Firefox on Win7 on two different machines, and my linux box.

I have also had this issue just in the past couple of weeks. It will log out very soon after logging in or when you are posting a reply and then it will ask for login details. It also happened to me on mobile.

Windows 7 with Firefox 30
Android 4.1 with the latest Firefox browser.

I get this pretty frequently. When I browse GTP I generally open every new thread in each subforum I visit, then click the "Mark Forums Read" link before reading them. Sometimes GTP logs me out before I've finished opening them all, even though I'm obviously active. I used to think it was the cruddy internet at the office changing IP addresses (satellite), but it also happens on the DSL at home.

Firefox 36 on Windows 7 64-bit.

........Heeeey, wait a sec, I'm beginning to see a pattern here...folks who replied to this thread are all using Firefox. Coincidence??

........Heeeey, wait a sec, I'm beginning to see a pattern here...folks who replied to this thread are all using Firefox. Coincidence??
My Firefox 36 has been fine on Vista 32bit.

TB
My Firefox 36 has been fine on Vista 32bit.

.......I have a PC at home and that runs..ahem, XP 32 bit. Never had a problem with that, now I think about it. And I use Firefox on it too. Hmmm.

Could it be that there's something...weird with newer OS and Firefox when viewing GTP? :confused:

I've never had this problem (and Yes I'm a Firefox user :P).

You guys sure, cookie settings aren't correct? Or you're not clicking remember me when signing in?

I've never had this problem (and Yes I'm a Firefox user :P).

You guys sure, cookie settings aren't correct? Or you're not clicking remember me when signing in?

....Hmm, I'm pretty sure 'bout cookie settings. But I don't click on the "stay logged in" box, because well, I'm not on GTP all the time...wait is that what you mean by "remember me"?

....Hmm, I'm pretty sure 'bout cookie settings. But I don't click on the "stay logged in" box, because well, I'm not on GTP all the time...wait is that what you mean by "remember me"?
Yeah, ticking the box keeps you logged in,

......Hmm, this auto log out happens randomly but if ticking this box stops that annoyance then maybe I should give it a shot.

Report of activity:

Logged in via a Toshiba laptop running Windows 8, using Chrome.
Posted in the COTW thread.
Headed to the AI Center to do some work on it.
Walked off from the computer to get a drink.
Came back 3 minutes later to find myself logged out.

Have now clicked on 'keep me logged in' box.

Because I move around a lot and use many different service providers/machines I tend to log in and out only as needed (so as to not leave myself logged in and have someone else use my account) and being logged out after a period of activity would be a form of security and acceptable, but getting logged out for being AFK for 3 minutes makes posting a bit of a chore.

I've already been trying the "keep me logged in" box for a while and it makes no difference. I didn't need it to use it before. My cookie settings are to accept third party cookies from websites I've visited and to keep them until I close Firefox.

Same here - checked the box, continued to go back and work on AI Center thread, and after much work, was logged out - all work lost.

*sigh.
Back later.

.........I just logged in with that box clicked. Will see how things go. Report in a bit. Hopefully with a good news.

Just to be totally clear, have you guys always experienced this, or did it only start recently?

I've just made a minor change to something which could possibly be affecting this. I'll leave it in place for the next 24 hours or so - please let me know if any of you who have reported these problems can stay logged in now.

Last edited:
@Jordan - this started about a week/ten days ago - I made a note of it in the AI Center the first day it happened. Never happened before unless I was AFK for over a half hour. When I mean AFK, I mean literally no keystrokes at all - and I took this as a security measure (which is good.) Now, however, even if I'm into a very heavy edit that takes an hour or so, and upon finishing the edit hit the 'Save Edit' button, I receive the 'logged out' box. If I use this to log in it takes me out of the thread and to the main page and the edit is lost. If I close the box, then I'm at the thread itself, but logged out. If I use this box to log in with the 'Keep me logged in' box ticked, then shortly after that I'm logged out.

This afternoon, though, I logged in via the general (main) login menu and ticked the box to keep me logged in and had no problems. I have to admit that I didn't hesitate too long between saving bits and pieces of my edit as I went along at this juncture. I will test out later with both 'keep me logged in' box ticked and unticked and see how long it takes to log me out - if it does at all.

@Jordan - this started about a week/ten days ago - I made a note of it in the AI Center the first day it happened. Never happened before unless I was AFK for over a half hour. When I mean AFK, I mean literally no keystrokes at all - and I took this as a security measure (which is good.) Now, however, even if I'm into a very heavy edit that takes an hour or so, and upon finishing the edit hit the 'Save Edit' button, I receive the 'logged out' box. If I use this to log in it takes me out of the thread and to the main page and the edit is lost. If I close the box, then I'm at the thread itself, but logged out. If I use this box to log in with the 'Keep me logged in' box ticked, then shortly after that I'm logged out.

This afternoon, though, I logged in via the general (main) login menu and ticked the box to keep me logged in and had no problems. I have to admit that I didn't hesitate too long between saving bits and pieces of my edit as I went along at this juncture. I will test out later with both 'keep me logged in' box ticked and unticked and see how long it takes to log me out - if it does at all.
OK, and yes, the session length is 30 minutes if you don't tick the Remember Me option.

I noticed it starting between one and three weeks ago; sorry I can't be more specific. Like @photonrider, I've been avoiding lengthy replies because of getting logged out before I'm ready to click "Post reply".

This has been happening even on a machine running an older version of Firefox, on which I'd had no problems until recently, so it's not a browser or plugin upgrade problem.

Back