Random Logging out headache

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 47 comments
Testing . . ..
9:00. Logged in without checking 'Stay logged in' box.
Will stay AFK for 25 mins then will try to post.

Edit:
9:25. Preparing to submit edit.
Submitting . . ..

All systems Go. NP.

:confused:

Further test:
Will log out then log back in with 'Stay logged in' box unchecked. Will go over to AI Center thread, hit the 'Edit' button in OP and stay AFK for 25 mins.

Edit:

Logged in to site at AI Center thread via Login menu with 'Keep me logged in' box unchecked. Entered BB code to change color of 'List of Winners'. Hit Save Edit after 25 mins AFK. Edit saved - NP.

Conclusion - Webmaster has solved problem.

Last edited:
Woot! I'll try going back to opening multiple threads in separate tabs and see how that goes.

Seems I'm still getting logged out after fifteen minutes of inactivity (timed).

Edit:
Make that less than ten but more than five minutes of inactivity and I get auto logged out. This is without checking the "keep me logged in" box.

Last edited:
This could mean that it is not affecting everybody in the same way, BobK.
Testing in a controlled fashion means we all have to make the identical moves; what were you using? - I used Windows/Chrome. haven't tested on my phone yet on on my Mac.

For this session I'm going to stay logged in - and will stay on and off the keyboard sporadically to see what would happen. 👍

What is serious about this problem is that when one does a lot of work on an OP or large post in a thread it becomes a huge waste of time when it all gets wiped out.
And Time is Life.

This could mean that it is not affecting everybody in the same way, BobK.
Testing in a controlled fashion means we all have to make the identical moves; what were you using? - I used Windows/Chrome. haven't tested on my phone yet on on my Mac.

For this session I'm going to stay logged in - and will stay on and off the keyboard sporadically to see what would happen. 👍

What is serious about this problem is that when one does a lot of work on an OP or large post in a thread it becomes a huge waste of time when it all gets wiped out.
And Time is Life.
Yeah, it would appear that you're right; it's not affecting everybody the same way.

I'm running Firefox 30.0 on linux:
uname -a
Linux f86 3.14.12 #2 SMP Thu Jul 10 00:54:28 CDT 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Note this is the exact system (ie, no upgrades) that has been performing flawlessly since July until recently with regard to logouts.
My testing method is to open a thread in a new tab while starting a countdown timer set to fifteen or ten or whatever minutes. When the timer expires, refresh the page.

Edit:
And while typing this post I got auto logged out.

Dang.

In any case - this is what I did today:

At 11: AM over here I went over to the AI Center and started to edit the OP. This is where I usually get logged out doing a heavy edit. I edited the title but didn't save the edit. I left my computer for a full hour and returned to hit save. The save was successful and I didn't get the old 'you are looged out' blurb. I had ticked the box for 'Stay logged in' in the original Login menu.

Maybe others using other browsers should do some tests, too till we catch this bug. And squash it.

......My report: Haven't had any issues until a short while ago - was in Fast and Furious 7 thread, watching a short video clip of no more than 6 minutes, and when I switch to another thread, boom, I'm logged out. Sigh....:guilty:
Earlier today I made a thread in the car suggestions, which meant I had to leave the GTP unattended for a bit as I searched for pics and info, but never got logged out. But watching an embedded 6 minute Youtube vid?
....Apparently GTP goes into frenzy mode....:confused:

Any progress towards a solution on this, @Jordan? It can get pretty frustrating in the Opinions & Current Events forum when I sometimes can't get through a single thread without getting logged out.

I'm on the road now, but have applied what I presume is a temporary fix until I can continue the investigation. I still have yet to experience it on any device.

I've been having this issue for about a month now. I am using Safari as a browser and it happens every time I shut down my laptop.

I've been having this issue for about a month now. I am using Safari as a browser and it happens every time I shut down my laptop.
Well, if you're not using the "Remember Me" option, that would be expected.

Well, if you're not using the "Remember Me" option, that would be expected.

I do use that option though, It still doesn't "remember me" and i click that option every time. . As i said, it's only been happening the last month or so, before that i hadn't had this issue. I thought i was the only one until i stumbled upon this thread.

.....A new report:
1. There was a new update for Firefox a few days ago.
2. Updated the browser, and now....I'm not having any issues. Yet. Cured? Hopefully.

Currently doing a wait-and-see.

The situation seems much better now, although I haven't done any timing or anything. Haven't been getting logged off in the O&CE forum lately.

Final Report:

I have not encountered the pesky auto logout since I last posted here. Whatever the webmaster did (or my browser, or my anti-virus, or the Windows) has worked. Thanks!!!!

Final Report:

I have not encountered the pesky auto logout since I last posted here. Whatever the webmaster did (or my browser, or my anti-virus, or the Windows) has worked. Thanks!!!!
It would have been something that @Jordan did in my case at least, since I changed nothing. But yes, Jordan, thanks for fixing the issue.

Hello, I'm being automatically logged out of GTPlanet since the last two days. It happens randomly and I have to sign again and again even though I tick the "stay logged in" box. Although not a big deal, its quite irritating. Anyone else experiencing this?

Back