Rate A Car

• Thread starter chronix13
  • 1,371 comments
Well you should, it's a great little car for what it is, surprisingly agile for front wheel drive, I'd give it a 75/100, and leave the Taisan Viper to the next person.

This Viper actually surprised me a little bit. I think this one is the fastest cornering Viper, and it can be driven more agressively in general, than its Le Mans brothers. It also lapped SSR5 faster than Unisia GT-R (but still slower than Castrol Supra), which is also interesting.
I'll give it 85/100, -15 for slightly awkward powerband.

Next car - Mine's R34 GT-R, one of a few cars that are better IRL than in GT2, I think.

The Mine's R34 suffers from a few problems. The biggest of them, the R34 GT-R V spec, which has a better engine and gets more power. Also doesn't help that there's no race mod available. Also doesn't help that actually the R32.5 Mine's is a bit faster... Fully tuned (less race modification) I count it as the tied-for-sixth fastest Skyline. R34 GT-R V-Spec best, then R34 GT-R, Mine's R32.5, R33 GT-R '95, R32 Tommykaira, and tied with NISMO 400R '97. R34 Tommykaira probably about as good with less power but lower rideheight and better tires. Still a great car, but buried under too many similar but better options, so 50/100.

With so many Skylines in the game, sadly many of them will never get raced. In fact there are so many Skylines in GT2 that PD didn't even bother finishing them all properly for the game (R33 GT-R '97, R33 GT-R V-Spec '95, and R33 GT-R V-Spec '97 aka R33 '98 all have engine glitches which make them useless...)

Next: Lexus GS400

Fully tuned (less race modification) I count it as the tied-for-sixth fastest Skyline. R34 GT-R V-Spec best, then R34 GT-R, Mine's R32.5, R33 GT-R '95, R32 Tommykaira, and tied with NISMO 400R '97. R34 Tommykaira probably about as good with less power but lower rideheight and better tires. Still a great car, but buried under too many similar but better options, so 50/100.

Although probably your testing was more thorough than mine (there are some threads with results, IIRC), I also tested some cars via hotlapping SSR5 in fully tuned state, and I have to say that my experience with GT-Rs is little bit different. The factory R34s are the fastest no doubt, but after them there comes suprising Nismo 400R, then R33 V-spec, then R32 '89, and only after them Mine's machines follow, lead by R34. Which is the reason I said it is better IRL - in Hot Version videos it was almost unbeatable among tuned GT-Rs, and in the game the engine is tuned actually worse than in Nismo-tuned cars (Tommykairas suffer from similar problem).
Probably these results are the case because of tuning setup I use on GT-Rs.
Also I am not quite sure about the engine glitch you mentioned - I race the '97 R33 V-spec regularly and it does everything right. I know that the GT-R LM has almost useless engine because of unnaturally low rev-limiter and too peaky powerband, but that's it.

On the Lexus - I like this car: handling is decent for a luxury saloon, the engine is nice and smooth, although maximum power is not impressive. I could give it high score, but it has the major disadvantage - Aristo V300 '98, the ultimate sleeper of GT2.
So i give Lexus 65/100.
In the end, I turned my GS400 into fantasy Lexus V8 Supercar hybrid, and with over 640 hp it is quite fun to drive :)

Next - Hakosuka GT-R (KPGC10)

Last edited:
If you look at the powerband for the three R33's I noted, you'll see what I mean. Actually driving them you might not feel it, but in hotlap testing these 3 R33's will be noticeably slower than the R33 GT-R '95. Driving MT and shifting at like 7200rpm could make up for the weird drop in power, which begins at 6900, and by 7100rpm is down about 10% from peak power, and only improves slightly to the redline at 8125rpm. So for AT driving, these cars will be slower than the '95 R33, which is therefore the only factory R33 that I drive.

Here's what I mean:

edit: and here's the R33 '95, to show you the difference:

Edit:
Also, even with this powerband issue, the other R33's could well be faster than the other Skylines, I just didn't test them in the comparo I'm looking at. And the R32.5 was faster for me than the R34 Mine's at SSR5 and Red Rock, and at 400m and 1000m, probably because it has a slightly better (2%) power-to-weight ratio. Also, the Mine's make it so far up the list because I was testing fully tuned less race mod. If race mods are allowed, then pretty much every Skyline that gets the mod will be faster than the Mine's which don't. The NISMO 400R Preceding should be better than the regular 400R, but came a combined 0.4 sec behind the regular 400R looking at SSR5+RR hotlaps, seems to have a better engine, not sure... And the R32 NISMO '90 is the best R32 (aside from the FR Tommykaira, which is a hoot, but doesn't get race mod sadly) with the R32 '89 just combined 0.2 sec behind, and a total combined 3.5 sec behind the R34 V-Spec. One odd thing about the R32's, they appear (by tested top speed) to have a drag coefficient of about 0.40, which is pretty high, while the R34's have 0.37, and the R33's have 0.35...

Last edited:
Oh, I see. I drive fully tuned R33 anyway, and these two small peaks at stage 4 are roughly at the same level The torque drop is not so big either, and fairly tall 5-speed tranny makes sure that I pass both peaks on every gear. So overall area under the curve is still large enough, and car doesn't feel slow. So I think this glitch is sort of cured by tuning.
Anyway it is still very sad for me to see R33s unfinished since it was the very first car I learned to drive in GT1, and I have a lot of good memories from my childhood connected with R33.

Edit:
I also did testing with non-RMed cars (well, actually RMed too, but here I don't speak about them). The Nismo 400R I mentoned was Preceeding Model indeed, although there is no apparent for me reason for it to be faster than regular 400R. On Mine's GT-Rs, I found out that for me on SSR5 6-speed tranny and better chassis of R34 is more important than lower weight of R32.5.
Also, these drag coefficients are actually very close to real ones, and I don't think they are odd - GT-Rs (or at least Skyline GT-Rs) never were aerodynamically efficient machines.

Last edited:
The Nismo 400R I mentoned was Preceeding Model indeed, although there is no apparent for me reason for it to be faster than regular 400R.

If you drive MT, they're basically the same if you do it right. Driven AT, the Preceding model will be faster, because of where the redline is. Peak power for this engine is at 6600rpm, the Preceding model's redline is at 7650rpm where it still has 85% of peak power. The '97 400R's redline is at 8125, and power is down to 70% of peak here. The redline is the only difference, in this case, with this engine, diving AT, 7650 is better than 8125.

Anyway, I'll go ahead with the KPGC10, 100/100, not at all based on actual performance, but on coolness. Having this car in GT2 is the kind of thing that makes GT2 awesome.

Sure, it rides on the equivalent of 185/60 R13 tires, not great for traction or handling, and it sits at a very tall 160mm base ride-height. And its 2L I6 isn't great, power peaks just above redline stock, and with tuning peaks well above redline. So performance is never going to be good. Better than other historic offerings? Maybe, but again none of this really matters to me. Gets a race mod, too!

Next:
Primera GT '95

Last edited:
Had a quite boring sunday, so I decided to fire up the GT2 and take the '95 Primera for a spin. It's very surprising that the facelifted '95 model is actually lighter than the original '90 Primera, as in the 90s cars tended to get constantly heavier with each new model. The engine remained pretty much the same with power output of 147 hp.

On the track the Primera clearly benefits from its relatively light weight (and multilink suspension), as it feels very nimble for a 4 door saloon with not that much body roll. But thanks to the long wheelbase it's also very stable and doesn't spin easily. It also helps the weight distribution that the engine in front is a lighter 4 cylinder instead of a heavy v6. The stock 147 hp engine is a high revver, so some attention on gear change is required to maintain the speed on corners. If you want to complete the Super Touring Trophy with an "authentic" car, the Primera is a good option as the fully tuned engine gives close to 300 hp and the race modified car weights just over 1000 kg. The available racing mod has a Castrol livery and it's the best looking of the three Primera RMs in my opinion.

I'll give it 87/100, next car is Peugeot 306 S16.

Very nice hot hatch: engine has both revs and torque, handling is stable and transparent. Nothing too fancy, except for gearbox, which is 6-speed. I remeber when I bought and tuned this car, I went to Event Generator right away, forgetting to set up transmission. The generated race was the race on Test Track - and I managed to win it, reaching 300 km/h in the process. (although I probably was drafting alot, I don't remeber now).
On the proper race circuit this car is not mind-blowingly quick or something - it is still slower than best of touring cars, but you can expect solid performance in any conditions. Also, the AI drives RMed one in NA championship, where it is 3rd fastest car, despite the driver missing the braking zones terribly in some hairpins.

Overall, 82/100. My biggest complaint is dull exhaust sound.
If you tired of JDM FF cars, you might try this one - it won't disappoint.

Next car continues family hatchback theme - Ford Focus, 1.8-liter one.

90/100

One of few American classic that is not a muscle car by any means. Also, I love that 5-speed gearbox (supposed to be 4-speed)

Next: Nissan Skyline 25GT-T (or should I say, the "sissy R34"). The one with 2.5L single-turbo'd engine and FR, instead of the AWD, twin-turbo OG.

Not enough to be a part of the Skyline Club, 70/100

Next: Opel Calibra Touring Car

Last edited:
80/100, surprisingly good handling and performance, unique whip, I like it, drive it for fun regularly

next: any of the Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborgs, or Astis if you prefer

Mirage Cyborg: 75/100 good starter car, 172 HP enough for low power races, but it doesn't gets that far in tuning.

Next: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV

146/100.

Yes, it's a bit archaic compared to other supercars of the time (3-speed in 1990? really?). Yes, someone might not like the looks. Yes, for a little bit more money you can have a proper race car.
But it's one of my favourite cars in GT2. The fighterjet-like exterior (and aerodynamics :)), roaring twin-turbo V8 and huge tires for bulldozer-like grip make this car stand out in any competition GT2 has to offer. In its fully-tuned state I couldn't find any unavoidable flaws.
Additional 46 points come from my impression of Vector's looks and exhaust sound.
Also good to see that the only twin-turbo V8 in the game has decent torque curve - this makes it a good choice for various hybrids (like Callaway Sledgehammer C4)

Next - Mine's Evo
Interesting to know what others think of its driving peculiarities.

80/100

I've always like the '98 Lancer over the '00 Lancer that appears in GT3 and so on. Tires are always on the stuck to the ground, in my opinion, and I've always seen the Evo as somewhat of a little brother to the Mitsubishi Evo V Rally Car. There's definitely no turbo lag!

Keeping with Mitsubishi, how about the Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T?

Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T

8/10
Pretty nice little FF car,great looks:tup:

Next: One of the backmarkers from the A.I: The Opel Calibra Touring Car

(I really like this thread, yes it may be too old because we have gt6 already, but GT2 is by no means mediocre)

Opel Calibra Touring Car
:tup:High RPM (16K), 4wd but very nice handling, aggressive looks.

:tdown:Engine note is average, doesn't feel like it has 555hp

75/100

Next : Toyota GT-One road car '98

Road Car? Very useful plus you could even win the GT World Championship with the GTOne Road Car.

90/100

Next car: Venturi Atlantique 600 LM Race Car

Back