Rate the vehicle above you (READ THE OP)

• Thread starter Sage Ages
  • 17,288 comments
7/10

Aston Martin DB2-4 Bertone Spider.jpg

Aston Martin DB2/4 Bertone Spider

That's definitely the better side of that Aston

That was very much my thinking as well, hence why I chose that particular photo :lol:. I've always been thrown off by its front ends proportions, indicative of it's bertone styling I guess, not it's best point. Mind you, it sure makes up for it with that back end...

7/10 Ghia, one of my more favoured coach builders behind Zagato

Another striking looking machine:
Cisitalia 202 Vignale MM.jpg

Vignale Cisitalia 202 CMM

Ehhh...gullwing SLs are getting a little too "omg a gullwing" for my taste. Certainly a pretty car, and a pretty example, but I prefer a roadster, and even then I prefer a 190.

Low 7 for the coupe.

And because 190...

Screen-Shot-2017-01-02-at-10.24.06-AM-940x654.png

Ehhh...gullwing SLs are getting a little too "omg a gullwing" for my taste. Certainly a pretty car, and a pretty example, but I prefer a roadster, and even then I prefer a 190.

Low 7 for the coupe.

And because 190...

Screen-Shot-2017-01-02-at-10.24.06-AM-940x654.png
I'd agree if it was Form above function. But in the case of the 300sl, the gullwing doors weren't for showing off (like supercars nowadays) but an example of smart engineering and function above form.

I'd agree if it was Form above function. But in the case of the 300sl, the gullwing doors weren't for showing off (like supercars nowadays) but an example of smart engineering and function above form.
My apologies, I was actually referring to it being a gullwing (that is to say a 300 SL coupe) rather than merely having gullwing doors. The cars have become so much of a "want" in the last two decades that prices, even for basket-cases, have exploded to obscene figures. Roadsters and the far more common 190s are simply "neat old cars" and their prices, while still not cheap, reflect that nature.

Remember that the roadster utilized the same "high" chassis structure as the coupe, however ingress wasn't hindered quite so much by virtue of not having a fixed roof. Entry and exit aren't terribly difficult without even opening the "doors," provided one is limber enough to accomplish the task.

In either case, both the coupe and roadster W198s get a little "scarabesque" toward the rear, which is why I prefer the W121 with its bulbous rear quarters.

Latest Posts

Back