Ready for a new Bug?

• Thread starter phil_75
  • 46 comments
I had a really bad start at the nations race yesterday in the jag, so opted for a 1 stop strategy, using good fuel saving, I was dead last.

Short shifting, fuel map on 2 and using higher gears in corners saw me getting mid-high 43 second laps while conserving enough fuel to be able to one stop, I was even able push a bit when following other cars, finished 10th.

Theres a massive amount of gains from saving fuel in that regard!

Yeah, i started second last and i had no chance of winning (not that it would have helped either way i think :-) ) so i thought lets try to reduce the damage and go for a placement as high as possible with a careful fuel saving race. I ended up at 8, could have been 10 if it weren't for BMW POWER, i messed up the classic mess up corner and thought "this is it, 10th place". I had to short shift a bit to much on the last lap thanks to running out of fuel, so 9+10 was very close to me..

On the last stretch villeneuvemr1 (very cool dude that i have raced before) was going to overtake me, no reason to fight that since he was faster and it would be ugly.. but to my surprise BMW POWER, on my radar i has passed him when i pulled in, it was a tad to early, but lucky for me no one got hurt.

The problem is it’s impossible to balance its race pace with fuel use on without making it stupidly slow in single lap pace or when fuel use is off.

I disagree. Before the Corvette nerf a couple of months ago, it was what the bmw is today.

Give the M4 the same nerf the Vette had and we're fine. The Vette nowadays is still a decent car to race.

I disagree. Before the Corvette nerf a couple of months ago, it was what the bmw is today.

Give the M4 the same nerf the Vette had and we're fine. The Vette nowadays is still a decent car to race.

In the worldwide superstars race Snow organised the Corvette was nowhere and I haven’t seen it on any Gr.4 leaderboards recently. So I’ve seen nothing to suggest that it hasn’t been nerfed into irrelevance as far as single lap pace is concerned.

The M4 is a bit faster than the Corvette was so you might get away with it, although its still not really that much faster than everything else in single lap pace. And given the seconds it can gain over the course of a race you’ll probably have to make it about 0.5 seconds slower per lap to balance it, which will means no one will use it.

A little too great! :lol:
This is more like an eco-drive. The tank even fills up at some point :dunce:

I think if you followed all of Jimmy Carter's advice way back when, your real life gas tank would actually fill itself. I did the math at some point.

:lol:

Tonight at Bathurst someone was short shifting in the M4. I could pass him before pitting, although not that easily on that track. Then he would be 15 sec ahead of me at the finish. It didn't give him any wins though as the S/S squad always caught up with him in lap 7. No chance with tires running out.

There is super short shifting, which is obviously not ideal for pace, but conserves lots of fuel.
However, the short shifting we're mostly referring to won't allow you to run a race like Bathurst without a pit, but it means that when you do pit, you're taking far less gas than somebody who didn't short shift.

So if you entered the pits right behind somebody else, now you're in front - or if somebody was right behind you entering, they are no longer in your slipstream.
It's a minor advantage, but it can help making a pass on somebody who's relatively the same speed as you.

The GR4 race C at Bathurst was complete M4 domination yesterday. You could short shift as I described in the previous page and would only need minimal lift & coast before the downhill esses and the Chase to make the fuel last those 8 laps. I was also taking it easy in some lefthanders to preserve my right front tyre, but pace wise I could almost keep up with others who were in max attack mode.

So yeah, I'd say the M4 is totally OP at the moment in any race that has fuel consumption on. I agree with Spurgy in that it will be very difficult to balance for both one lap pace (or rqces without fuel consumption) and race pace in fuel consumption races. If they nerf it to the level of say, Lancer or Cayman, it will become this trick car that only works with certain parameters and only few will know the trick. A bit like the GR3 GT-R is at the moment (hint: it's also fuel related :dopey:).

The GR4 race C at Bathurst was complete M4 domination yesterday.
I don't know, the Vantage held its own.

So yeah, I'd say the M4 is totally OP at the moment in any race that has fuel consumption on. I agree with Spurgy in that it will be very difficult to balance for both one lap pace (or rqces without fuel consumption) and race pace in fuel consumption races.
They could just increase how hard it is on its tryes, forcing a stop for rubber if not for fuel, and that would address any balancing issues for one lap pace?

They could just increase how hard it is on its tryes, forcing a stop for rubber if not for fuel, and that would address any balancing issues for one lap pace?

I doubt it’s that simple, you’ll probably find the tyre wear isn’t just a number given to cars but how each cars handling characteristics interact with they tyre model and that will churn out a number for tyre wear. In other words you would have to change a lot about the car to increase its individual tyre wear.

I also tried short shifting the M4 yesterday but I was 2-3 seconds off pace and couldn‘t really keep up. The second half of that race was carnage anyways, what was going on there @_ApexPredator?
@Nuschel01 here's my view, I only caught the aftermath of whatever happened to you early in the 2nd stint.
This race was just the calm before the storm for me that afternoon though, I'll upload the second if I can stomach watching it again :lol:

I doubt it’s that simple, you’ll probably find the tyre wear isn’t just a number given to cars but how each cars handling characteristics interact with they tyre model and that will churn out a number for tyre wear. In other words you would have to change a lot about the car to increase its individual tyre wear.
I never said it would be easy :) Or maybe a BoP nerf - is it really so OP?

All I've really seen evidence of is that the fastest drivers are really good at managing fuel, particularly noticeable if they use a car that's already pretty good at it; but is there more to it than that?

@Nuschel01 here's my view, I only caught the aftermath of whatever happened to you early in the 2nd stint.
This race was just the calm before the storm for me that afternoon though, I'll upload the second if I can stomach watching it again :lol:

I can‘t even remember anymore what happened to me as the whole race was crowded with people slowing themselves down on the mountain causing trouble :lol: I didn‘t save the replay as I wasn‘t too keen on seeing what happened :nervous:

Hope to see you again soon, I looked forward to racing you but those plans were destroyed by some Meganes :boggled:

I don't know, the Vantage held its own.
The guy I was talking about who I was almost able to keep up with, he was in a Vantage. Had I not been doing the minor fuel and tyre saving we would've had the same race pace. I think he was 2-3 seconds ahead when he pitted and then he was over 15 seconds behind at the checkered flag. If that's not OP (for this specific combo of course) then nothing is.

Even your own video has a good example how well M4 was doing on that combo. The dutch guy who ended up in 2nd was 8th mid race just before your penalty. He jumped quite a few cars with M4's superior fuel saving.

Even your own video has a good example how well M4 was doing on that combo. The dutch guy who ended up in 2nd was 8th mid race just before your penalty. He jumped quite a few cars with M4's superior fuel saving.

Hmm, I might load up that replay and give it a viewing from his perspective then - see what all the fuss is about.

I don't think the M4 has that big of an advantage. I do know on some tracks its the car to beat, but in terms of fuel saving, it comes down to the driver. I have never driven the M4, but driven against it many times with many good drivers. My fuel saving in either the Toyota or Jaguar, my most commonly used cars in GR.4 are as good, if not better in fuel saving and I can go toe to toe with the M4. I think the M4 has more tire wear, or is a twitchier car which contributes more to tire wear, and is where I notice more of my time gains as the stints near pit stops.

I guess the only way to do it is to run a tire/fuel test with the same driver and same track.

Hey! I just discovered this on Kie25's Youtube channel and thought you guys would wanna know about it:

It seems like atleast with the M4 the way you can shortshift, save fuel and still lose no straightline speed is waaaaay too much. I get it that the M4 has a turbocharged engine and has a wide powerband but it's just too much. You basically use a higher gear ratio all the time, which just has to affect acceleration, but somehow in GTS it doesn't...

Your opinions about this?

I see that's why M4 not losing power during short shifted compare to other car . it seem legit.

Back