Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
We are both kinda new to this. We don't have the kind of hours some of guys on here have put in with rifles.

I just saw this on Amazon after clicking on Trijicon sale spam:

81R5KeSdQML._SL1500_.jpg

That's a Glock, right? What kind of Glock have serration in the front? Anybody know, or maybe it's a custom job?

Considering everything else is aftermarket or modified, it's probably a custom slide job.

We are both kinda new to this. We don't have the kind of hours some of guys on here have put in with rifles.

That is my other problem. I do not have nearly enough time behind a rifle.

Considering everything else is aftermarket or modified, it's probably a custom slide job.
I like how the slide looks with that, though I'd have no use for them there. Shiny aftermarket barrel looks really nice, too. :drool:
That is my other problem. I do not have nearly enough time behind a rifle.
Sometimes I wish I lived in a area where I could just step outside & start plinking. Then I get the urge to order a takeout & yeah, let's be real.....

:P

Had fun at the shooting range, took my little .22 precision rifle and shot coins at 100 meters. Could only recover two of them, the others were flung high in the air landed somewhere in the dirt. The duct tape didn't help at all.

Money can save your life in more than just one way! Though the coins were pushed into the wood behind it, that would cause one hell of a bruise or even a broken rip.

DSCF29881kauml_zpsd4kyi7kr.jpg

I dunno, I have quite an interest for HK pistols, especially the Mk. 23 SOCOM.

300px-HKUSP.png

300px-Mark23SuppressedLeft.jpg

I have shot a PX4 Storm before, as well as an S&W 1911. I seem to take a big interest on .45 handguns.

Had fun at the shooting range, took my little .22 precision rifle and shot coins at 100 meters. Could only recover two of them, the others were flung high in the air landed somewhere in the dirt. The duct tape didn't help at all.
As usual, entertainment factor is very high with your session(amazing accuracy, too). Great pics! :D:tup:
I have shot a PX4 Storm before, as well as an S&W 1911. I seem to take a big interest on .45 handguns.
I didn't realize PX4 came in .45. 👍 I prefer .45ACP as well, although I'm also partial to the 9mm. Never shot a .40, but I'd love to try them out someday. As far as the manufacturers go, I've had experiences with mostly Glocks & HK, and really love their pistols! :embarrassed:

As usual, entertainment factor is very high with your session(amazing accuracy, too). Great pics! :D:tup:

I didn't realize PX4 came in .45. 👍 I prefer .45ACP as well, although I'm also partial to the 9mm. Never shot a .40, but I'd love to try them out someday. As far as the manufacturers go, I've had experiences with mostly Glocks & HK, and really love their pistols! :embarrassed:
All I've heard about from .40s are that they are practically in the middle.

All I've heard about from .40s are that they are practically in the middle.
Lot of people complain about snappy recoil. I won't know until I shoot one, but I'd be surprised if it was significantly different from the .45ACP.

I find it funny when people complain about the recoil of 9mms, 40's and .45's. I shoot rifles most of the time and when I borrow the handgun of a friend to shoot a few targets it feels like they have no recoil at all, let alone I can feel a difference between the different calibers.

If I hold the pistol like I'm trying to choke someone to death it barely moves at all.

Lot of people complain about snappy recoil. I won't know until I shoot one, but I'd be surprised if it was significantly different from the .45ACP.

I'm one of those people, and yes, I don't like .40 because of its snappy recoil. I'll much rather shoot 9mm or .45. The difference is big enough that it's definitely noticeable.

I find it funny when people complain about the recoil of 9mms, 40's and .45's. I shoot rifles most of the time and when I borrow the handgun of a friend to shoot a few targets it feels like they have no recoil at all, let alone I can feel a difference between the different calibers.

If I hold the pistol like I'm trying to choke someone to death it barely moves at all.

Some of us just aren't as strong as you. :P

I have shot a pistol in .380 ACP that felt like a howitzer in the hand. It was an incredibly slim and small pistol. The thing only held five or six rounds. However, I cannot even remember which pistol it was at this point. But I can remember it was very unpleasant to shoot.

I wouldn't be too fond of smaller grips & lighter weight for that reason. Kid at work is looking at the Glock 26(subcompact, Baby Glock) as his first gun, but he also wants to conceal carry. I told him I'd recommend something like Glock 19(compact, almost full size), but if he wants to carry this gun, I understand him wanting the Baby Glock. Besides, it's the cutest gun ever. :P

When I went from my 9mm Glock 17 to Kimber 1911 in .45ACP, I didn't notice much difference in recoil. But I think it was due to the added weight from the lower frame used in 1911s. USP is advertised with recoil reduction & it must work, because it's really manageable with it, too. Glock 21 I've shot couple of times, and at least to me, recoil was much more noticeable.
Some of us just aren't as strong as you. :P
Maybe just slightly. :lol:👍

.40's the shortened 10mm, right? I have a guy at work who is big into the 10mm & he just shrugs when I bring up the recoil, but this guy's built like a tank.

.40 S&W is a shortened 10mm. According to some, 10mm is best millimeter.
I just remembered something: I think they said that the FBI had planned to use 10mm, but its excessive recoil led to .40 S&W?

I just remembered something: I think they said that the FBI had planned to use 10mm, but its excessive recoil led to .40 S&W?
Although it was selected for service by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 1989 from the aftermath of the 1986 FBI Miami shootout, the cartridge was later decommissioned (except by the Hostage Rescue Team and Special Weapons and Tactics Teams) after their Firearms Training Unit eventually concluded that its recoil was excessive in terms of training for average agents' and police officers' competency of use and qualification,[12] and that the pistols chambered for the cartridge were too large for some small-handed individuals. These issues led to the creation and following replacement to a shorter version of the 10mm that exists today as the .40 S&W. The 10mm never attained the mainstream success of this compact variant, but there is still an enthusiastic group of supporters who often refer to the .40 S&W as the ".40 Short & Weak" or "Short and Wimpy".[13] The cartridge was originally known as the .40 Super.[14]

I think its funny, they could have saved a truckload of money if they simply improved training of their agents instead of swapping thousands of guns and inventing a new cartridge (.40S&W).
Its not hard to make people with small hands shoot large guns comfortably.

Guess a couple of hands were greased, thats the only way I can make sens of this completely idiotic decision that wasted a lot of tax money.

.45 ACP - Because short, fat, and slow does the job.

The cheap TiSAS 1911 continues to amaze. I hate my Dad's SCCY. It has the trigger pull of a bottle of windex.

I do remember reading about the Miami shootout also. How they were getting their butt kicked or something like that with I think the 9mm & .38? I kind of agree with Michael. If I was so worried about handgun shootouts, I'd learn to master the 10mm. Or they can just let me carry the select fire M4, but that's probably a long shot wearing suits. :P
.45 ACP - Because short, fat, and slow does the job.

The cheap TiSAS 1911 continues to amaze. I hate my Dad's SCCY. It has the trigger pull of a bottle of windex.
1911 triggers rock. 👍

1911: pull - BANG!

SCCY: pullpullpullpullpull - begin doubting if put together correctly - pullpullpullpullpullpuuuuuuullllllllllll - BANG

It never fails to land one casing per magazine perfectly atop my safety glasses. 1911 did that once in 450+ rounds.

It never fails to land one casing per magazine perfectly atop my safety glasses.
:lol:

Baseball cap. Always. 👍

I hate the long pulling triggers also. Even the standard Glock trigger annoyed me from time to time.

I just bought my first gun(Mosin), and it came with ~350 rounds of surplus ammo, which I've read/heard is corrosive. Is it really that bad if I clean the barrel regularly?

I just bought my first gun(Mosin), and it came with ~350 rounds of surplus ammo, which I've read/heard is corrosive. Is it really that bad if I clean the barrel regularly?
I've seen many good looking Mosins and Mausers with bores that would make grown men cry. The corrosive ammo will totally and utterly destroy the bore if you do not clean it in a matter of hours after shooting.

Forget to clean it just once and the rifle is done. And even though I care a lot about my rifles I forgot to clean a rifle more than just once. With regular ammo thats not a problem though.

And with cleaning I'm not talking about running an oil patch through the bore and calling it a day, you need a good bore brush, lost of patches and good oil.

Thats why I do not run corrosive ammo through my rifles, I'm not shooting hundreds of rounds through them each time I go to the range, and my quality ammo is more accurate anyways so for me there is zero reason to buy cheap corrosive ammo from the 50's with questionable performance and quality.

BUT ITS SO CHEAP! Yeah, and I can reload the brass of my quality ammo 11 times and I get much better performance out of it.

The corrosive ammo will totally and utterly destroy the bore if you do not clean it in a matter of hours after shooting.
:crazy: Good thing you were around!

Is is same way with modern firearms, or is it worse with older firearms like Mosin?

Yep I'm the guy that goes to a 'gunshow', pulls the slide back on a handgun, can't find/switch the safety, and derps into the distance. ...

:crazy: Good thing you were around!

Is is same way with modern firearms, or is it worse with older firearms like Mosin?
Steel is steel, if you fire corrosive ammo through a modern firearm it will rust just as a rifle from world war one.

One exception is a rifle with a chrome lined barrel, the chrome will protect the bore for a while, but some of the primers corrosive salts will find its way back into the bolt, firing pin / pin channel bolt face, locking lugs etc. and will do its destructive work there.

One major problem is firing corrosive ammo though semi-auto rifles, you'll also have to clean the gas tube, gas rod and the entire gas block assembly otherwise the salt residue will chew on your rifle even if you keep the bore shiny and clean.

Oh, and in the case you were wondering if its the same with stainless steel, stainless steel CAN rust, and pretty horribly so. I've seen rusted stainless steel barrels first-hand.

Thats what corrosive ammo does if you don't clean right away:

Mosin bolt face pitting.. (not my pics)

maxresdefault.jpg

Ruined bores...

D6Hduqz.jpg

Corroded action from firing corrosive ammo:

akapart-3.jpg

Crazy. Mine is chrome lined, but I didn't even think about the gas system. :ouch:

These days, I don't even see corrosive ammo, but before I got into this hobby, I think the Russian ammo were corrosive. They of course still have old surplus ammo online, too. I'm glad I never owned a gun in the caliber to touch the stuff. :P

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to firearms and I know nothing about them, apart from firing the trigger and going boom.

I got a Savage MKII FV-SR for my anniversary and after researching, I'm going to buy a Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 scope for it. It has a factory picatinny rail already on it, but I have no idea what scope rings to mount on it. Anyone have suggestions?

Back